Monster Hunter Generations

I am about to buy this game. (My first MH)
It looks very fun and a friend of mine I know in real life said he'd buy it too if I did.
Talk me out of it. Knowing how cynical Cred Forums is I just bet you all have a long list of negatives on this title so just let it out.
Do I get it?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/11279162
mhgen.kiranico.com/greatsword
youtube.com/watch?v=__QdAxqBi5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=isOuCdlm1p8
youtube.com/watch?v=RNfIJIbz-kA
youtu.be/gwTE3h53USM
youtube.com/watch?v=gluF4tQByO8
youtube.com/watch?v=5TmMFSdGfFg
youtu.be/f4pUXh2HfBg
youtube.com/watch?v=zXrFL_sGNlc
enchroma.com/test/instructions/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Talk me out of it
Nah, Monster Hunter is really cool. If you get over the learning barrier it's loads of fun and will keep you busy for hundreds of hours. I haven't played Generations but it looks pretty great, all things considered.

>240p screen tho

Monster Hunter on home console when?

Oh, yeah resolution is terrible. TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!EQWEQWEEWQe

Gens is alright but honestly 4U was just way better. The only reason to get Gen honestly is if you want to play with randoms online because I'm guessing 4U online is probably pretty dead and anyone who's still on it is probably far into the game.

Buy it. Don't let anyone dissuade you. You won't be sorry.

Here's an unpopular opinion: It's shit.
>4 new styles are completely not fun or different
>Reused assets
>Spam ultimate move and win
>Monster hunter is more casual then ever before
>Cats are boring
>MH4U is better in every way
>Hub quests are a gimmick
>Shit pacing

Now the positives:
>particle effects are good enough
>New monsters are cool
>Multiplayer

Tl;Dr Don't waste 500 hours into this game it's not worth it this time around. The pirates warned us and they really are correct.

I have bias to saying start with MH4U. Generations is more a "best-of" collection and a gimmicky fun-time in other respects. 4U is more grounded (figuratively and literally) and a more well-rounded package imo.

But hey, if the flashiness of Generations appeals, go for it. Always nice to have a new hunter join the ranks.

So just buy 4U instead? Ok i think i will, espcially since its cheaper

Go for it, it's fun.

this is correct, gens didn't feel like a monster hunter to me, glad I pirated it before dropping money on that POS, 4U is great though

why would you buy 4u it has less features and is old so less people will be playing it

because of what people like and are saying...fuck i dont wanna invest time into a shittier game, like gen.

4U also has a worse roster of monsters to hunt.

which game do i start with?
i have pc, ps2 and gba but i can also emulate nds/3ds/psp

the arts are cool and all but i had way more fun playing solo and coop with 4u. the missions are better Imho

still 4 player flying around with aerial lbgs was absurdly fun.

Wait you take Cred Forums post whining about games seriously?

How do you ever play a single game then.
Every game is shit
There.
Don't play any videogame. They are all dogshit.

And yet it looks fantastic at that resolution. The models & textures appear to be more sophisticated than they actually are because of the low res, and if it were in a higher res we would probably be disappointed by how it suddenly looks like any old MMO.

At the risk of sounding fuddy-duddy, when hardware constraints were much tighter the devs had to use art direction to make games look good. Super-sharpness has opened our eyes to graphical flaws and lazy shortcuts, and made it more important for devs to cram detail in than to make it actually look nice, or run nice.

that is my issue. im having trouible commiting to a game since i know Cred Forums will tell me why its shit and make me realize it myself and then i dont want to play them
fuck i am such a pathetic faggot.
im just not going to play monster hunter.
thread is over

psp emulation is pretty good and Freedom Unite is as old as I would ever recommend anyone go.

>OP asks opinions on MH gens and whether he should buy it
>people tell him their opinions
>some random faglord is upset that people are telling OP what he asked for
okay

I was not just talking about monster hunter though.
all games are shit.
Stop playing videogames.

I just think he is pathetic taking any of them seriously.
I didn't even disagree with them.
Monster Hunter Gen is shit because it is a videogame. They are all shit.

>MHGen will be my first

Just stop, no. Get either 3U or 4U as your first one, Gen is an awful place to start.

I haven't felt Monster Hunter since Monster Hunter 3U to me.

Fuck 4U's meme weapons.

please stop. i am depressed enough and youre making it worse! I want to enjoy the escapism of a video game but im not allowing myself to enjoy them because i want to listen you fucks on Cred Forums instead.
KILL ME

>when hardware constraints were much tighter the devs had to use art direction to make games look good
Don't get me wrong, I understand the merits that often come from overcoming technical limitations of the hardware. But I'm a 3U babby and I enjoy being able to play on a much larger screen even if the visuals are still pretty ass. I mainly just don't want to use the 3DS as a controller, seeing how it lacks a proper right thumbstick and has fewer shoulder buttons than the gamepad. I also feel like it would be murder on my eyes for long sessions, especially when trying to keep track of stuff on the tiny screen.

If the NX really is a home/portable hybrid, maybe I'll buy that if they put a good looking Monster Hunter on it. I'm fine playing on the Wii U gamepad screen, but anything smaller isn't going to fly with me.

I don't understand how posts on Cred Forums have so much power over you.

Everyone bitching about generation is a bitter loser.
That is 100% fact.

Generations is a fine game, and a great introduction to the series for a new player

the early on grind basically doesn't exist due to cats, that can complete a harvest quest within a minute and get you whatever dumb shit you're lacking, and the new styles make it a lot easier for a new player to find his playstyle

the people who are currently complaining about generations are probably the same shit that complained about Tri, portable 3rd, 3U, and any other game that wasn't a replica of FU

That's mostly because of the inclusion of the Memesect Glaive and mounting. Charge Blade is a good addition as far as weapons go.

>everyone bitching about a sub par entry to the series with very few improvements is bitter

Nah bro, Generations is just sub par for an MH game. I got to unlocked HR, did a few Deviants and put the game down, couldn't even be bothered with it. Not to mention the shit roster of monsters and dogshit maps like Forest and Hills returning.

I wish your parents would have put you down.

I love how you responded with the most bitter post in this thread trying to prove to me that you aren't a bitter loser.

>generations is a good introduction to the series

It's really not, my friend tried to get into MH with Generations and the first thing he told me was why were there so many gathering quests if it's called "monster" hunter. I gave him my copy of 3U and he just got to High Rank last I asked him.

Anecdotal evidence, sure, but Generation is not a good place to start the series. 3U and 4U are astronomically better starting points. Especially with shit like Styles in Generations which change up the game so much, why would you ever recommend Generations over 4U or 3U to start the series?

How are styles a bad thing.
More things to try out. More chance of finding something you like.

I didn't like charge blade in 4U
I liked charge blade with adept style.

no need to talk you out of it, its legit fun but I would get MH4u as well those 2 MHun games go great together.

Did you tell your friend that barely any of the gathering quests are mandatory

because if you haven't, all you did was confuse the guy and move him to the game you personally think is better

Seriously bro

Do the world a this board a favor and drink some bleach while walking into a busy intersection. Your demise would only improve the MH fanbase.

strawpoll.me/11279162

It never happened the story was completely made up.

You really think if he is that much against Monster Hunter generations that he argues against it regularly on fucking Cred Forums that he would've let his friend buy it and then that friend would have come to him and ask him about this game he clearly fucking hates?

I am not bitter.
I like videogames.

You really think your faggot ass shitting on every game is a good part of any fanbase.

You are the biggest cancer and I am just happy you can't enjoy anything because that means you will kill yourself sooner.
I am going to have fun playing videogames fagget.

Whichever one wins out in the end I'm buying. Just saying. Thanks for playing!

>how are styles a bad thing

Because styles are a new thing and will likely not be returning to mainline as Generations is a side project game, an experiment. And crutch styles like Adept don't encourage you to get better in any capacity.

I did, but he like MANY people who play these games like to do all the quests.

>Because styles are a new thing and will likely not be returning to mainline as Generations is a side project game, an experiment. And crutch styles like Adept don't encourage you to get better in any capacity.
Fuck you you are beyond retarded.

Perfect evades and perfect blocks add so much to charge blade.
It was boring as shit in 4u just guard point and then the burst all the time.

don't exaggerate how many people try to 100% monster hunter, it's a hobby for autists already playing a game for autists

And you are talking to the biggest autist.

Who's ready for this to bomb?

So he likes to complete every quest and has autism like that.
But he just then put the game aside and started a different game?

I am fine with anyone not liking Generations but the fact that you felt like you had to make up this obviously fake story makes you look pathetic.

Why the fuck do you want talked out of buying something? What's wrong with you? Do you seriously need to rely on others views of you so much you need them to dictate your purchases?

I know, I am pathetic. I need to stop looking for Cred Forums's opinions all the time. I've been here awhile and use Cred Forums as my social outlet.
Didn't want to buy a shitty MH game either and waste money. But I'm really in the mood to kill some monsters! I am the kind of "autist" who likes to do everyquest in order too lol. The gathering quests will suck a bit but I will get a lot of items out of it, at least...

Why not just emulate p3rd or something.

even if you are the type of asshat to pick every herb and mushrooms, this game is better for it than others due to how efficient cats are at harvesting

I actually just bought mhgen and a n3ds. I was surprised when I turned on the 3D feature because it actually looked pretty fucking good. Does anyone know if the 3D adds aliasing or something?

I don't know because the 3D made me abysmal at dodging projectiles so I turned it off

ok, why?

Friend. Amigo. Campadre. Pal.

Here's the issue with getting MHGen or MH4U right now.

MH4U has a much smoother learning curve and a much nicer progression, as well as more content in general, as well as an actual story. However, it is also plagued by way too fucking many first gen monsters, which are kind of ass to fight and ass to look at compared to late second gen and beyond, but in general I find the game a lot comfier.

MHGen on the other hand has way fewer first gen monsters (especially subspecies), and way more of the better second gen and third gen monsters, but it has no good progression to speak of, has less content in general, and no story, as well as basically throwing you in with no instruction. There are tutorial quests, which are aptly labeled this time around as such though so, keep that in mind. One more issue with MHGen is the existence of Styles and Arts. The fact that this is an anniversary game, combined with the fact that styles and arts are nothing like the Monster Hunter games that came before it, suggests strongly that they won't be returning in future entries, so you should be aware of that going in. If you want to understand each weapon properly, you'll do guild style with no arts at all, get a basic understanding of the weapon that way, and then slowly expand into the arts and styles with the mindset that these are one-game gimmicks.

i don't get people who whine about the styles making the game easier. Why don't you just not use them if it's such a huge problem for you? Just play with guild style and you're literally playing the older MH.

>b-but muh arts!

Wew something you don't even have to equip, don't use it if you don't like it.

How how do you set the 3D so it looks better?

>One more issue with MHGen is the existence of Styles and Arts. The fact that this is an anniversary game, combined with the fact that styles and arts are nothing like the Monster Hunter games that came before it, suggests strongly that they won't be returning in future entries, so you should be aware of that going in.

> Styles and Arts, the mechanics that made MHX more accessible than ever before and made MHX the most popular MonHun game on the 3DS

> Not coming back.

Come on man, these changes are way too big for a one off shoot game. They only called MHX a spin off because they didn't know if Styles and HAs will be positively received. They are so they're here to stay.

>4 new styles are completely not fun or different
Debatable. The real issue is when the styles are either broken on some weapons, or useless on others, with regards to how well the central gimmick of the style meshes with that weapon type. Movesets and capabilities of weapons can change somewhat significantly between styles. Just not always.

>Reused assets
Literally every Monster Hunter to date.

>Spam ultimate move and win
Not even close unless you're playing Longsword.

>More casual than ever before
I don't remember 4U's g-rank grinding or apex rajang hunts being as tedious as collecting and levelling up Deviant gear.

>Cats are boring
Subjective.

Both games have pros and cons.

>Hub quests are a gimmick
I don't understand what you're saying. Every entry has had quests tied to hub as opposed to the village. Do you mean sidequests? Because MH4U had those, too. Just, less so.

>shit pacing
I'll agree with you there.

>now the positives
You're playing it down significantly. Ignoring arts and styles, several weapons' guild styles received some very welcome buffs or mechanical upgrades this entry, just like every other Monster Hunter. The armour and weapon leveling mechanics are greatly improved, the latter especially so in the case of the Insect Glaive.

That user just sounds bitter as fuck.
>reused assets
It's a monster hunter game
>causal than ever before
Shit got easy because you prob got gud
>spam ultimate move and win
It really sounds like you haven't played the game
>shit pacing
Monster hunter has always had shit pacing, even 4u

The only thing missing really is grank.

I have some issue with this line of thinking.
lets say I play Hunting Horn.
I might have arts and styles in MHGen which might or might not return but double notes changed the weapon way more than arts or styles and I think those are definitely staying as a feature.
So how would 3U or 4U prepare me more for the next game?

i absolutely hated the fucking intro shit in mh4u, that shit was such a slog i almost dropped the game because of it. I much more prefer the tutorial shit that you could choose in mhgen over that.

>MHGen on the other hand has way fewer first gen monsters (especially subspecies)

And first gen monsters are shit. They need their moveset reworked. Look at drome vs jaggi for example, rathian vs astalos, fucking khezu and plesishit. They are not fun in the slightest compared to newer gens.

>causal than ever before

aerial and adept is babby mode, but no one forces anyone to use them so i don't see the problem.

Why do people always complain about arts in MHG threads? You realize you could literally play the entire game without using a single art right?

Everything new has to complained about first.
Doesn't matter if it is optional or barely relevant.

>people actually want first gen monsters

The sooner faggot pieces of shit like Ratholos are eliminated from MH the better the game will be.

>MHGen on the other hand has way fewer first gen monsters

i thought you were going to tell us why it was worse not better

Raths can't be eliminated.
They are too synonymous with Monster Hunter.

They definitely need to be fucking updated though.

They need to stop being updated because each time they try they make them worse somehow.

Just go back to 2nd gen Los/Ian style, give them Frontier's HC updates, and don't shove them in every single key.
Easily solved and no more fuss.

They're not going to stay any more than custom bowguns, or coloured bonus weapon upgrade paths from Tri stayed. This entry is clearly highly experimental in nature. Things like enhanced notes on the HH and internal shots on the Bowguns and double backhop on the bow as well as all powershots, but the arts and styles are way too fucking different from the style and atmosphere Monster Hunter has maintained since the old days. Even MH4U, for all the differences it had with regards to MH3U with stuff like guild quests, frenzy/apex, wystones, was far more faithful an entry than MHGen, and none of those things carried over either.

Hyper monsters likely won't carry over. Maybe Deviants won't be special ticket quest monsters.

I can see some of the moves from certain styles or some very specific arts being melded into the basic weapon movesets of future entries, but I just don't see them carrying over wholesale.

>made MHX more accessible than ever before
That's not necessarily a good thing. There's different kinds of accessible, and the developers have clearly been working hard on trying to figure out how best to make the games accessible without significantly disturbing the base gameplay and core philosophies behind Monster Hunter.

I can see SnS oils carrying over, although I wish they wouldn't. I can see Gunlance Heat Gauge staying forever although going through multiple iterations like LS's aura. I can see enhanced notes, internal shots, backrolls, and all that stuff continuing forward. I cannot see Arts and Styles continuing without some heavy revamps to the point that they wouldn't be the same at all.

Fewer first gen monsters was a pro in its favour. Was it not clear that I preferred later monsters?
I'm presenting the fax as I understand them for a clear picture and an informed purchase, not an argument as to why one's bad and should be ignored entirely.

I'd say aerial has some weaknesses in that an inexperienced player will always get smacked around in the air if he's not careful

but yeah adept is incredibly strong, the timing it required is close to none and the sacrifices made to the moveset aren't half as severe as they should be

>the first thing he told me was why were there so many gathering quests if it's called "monster" hunter

Unless you have severe autism you don't have to do them all you know? Only a few is obligatory to progress, we're talking around 5 here.

>I cannot see Arts and Styles continuing without some heavy revamps to the point that they wouldn't be the same at all.
Maybe.
But still I would say if I am playing Hunting horn Gunlance or SnS then Gen will prepare me better than 3u or 4u for the next monster hunter.

If we're talking guild style with no arts, then it absolutely will. If we're talking Striker Style with all the arts, or adept with an ultimate or a buff, then I don't think so, not at all.

Aerial could be good if they reworked je suis monte. That shit is broken af, and older monster can't deal with anything above 1 meter off the ground.

Striker is weird with HH but even adept has double notes.

And what do you lose? The double swing? Something you don't have at all in 3U?
How the fuck do you imagine 3U being in any fucking way a better preparation than Gen. Even if you are using adept.

MHGen didn't hold my attention as long as 3U and 4U. I almost hit 999 on 4U, and I was in the 400s in 3U, but I barely hit HR 100 in Gen. I have no idea why, it's just hard for me to give a shit.

why do you even care about what prepares you for the next mh? Play this one and do what you want. You're not in a fucking competition.

Because that is the fucking argument.

They should axe styles as they currently exist in their entirety.

And introduce styles in slightly closer to the way Frontier handles them, although clearly not as ridiculously. I'm talking about giving the Insect Glaive a "Kinsect Focus" style, halving its armour strength but improving the ways you can control the kinsect, such as giving it more commands or using juices to buff the bug instead.

Or "Lumberjack" style for the Switch Axe, that focuses more on improving the axe mode.

Something like that, instead of trying to fit every weapon to universal gimmicks.

I think it would be incredibly silly for capcom to remove the hunter arts, given how well they either embody the spirit of the weapon or correct gaping flaws in them to make them funner to play

greatswords getting a bunch of arts that lead to what is a much stronger and a much harder to place greatsword charge
or charge blades getting a way to waste their vials without having to use the new ultra
or gunlances getting an amazing movement ability on a low cooldown

they are all things that make the game simply more enjoyable to play, and leave so much more room for balancing weapons that aren't simple motion value adjustments

It's 4U with a few new features i figure i would be bored if i spent all that time playing what is essentially the same game.

yeah but i'm trying to figure out why you even bother to give a slight fuck what is going to "prepare" you for the next one when it doesn't matter

>yeah but i'm trying to figure out why you even bother to give a slight fuck what is going to "prepare" you for the next one when it doesn't matter
I don't.
But that is an argument against MHGen and arts.

But I actually went back to playing 4U.

That's ok dear

Not him, who is in turn not me, who is the original guy in the argument, but no, that was never my argument. At all. Being prepared for the next entry was never at any point the core of my argument. Understanding the core Monster Hunter experience, unmuddled by gimmicks, was my argument. My argument was that MH3U and MH4U are more solid entries as "pure" monster hunter games overall, especially given that they don't revolve around a central gimmick (arts and styles) in the same way that MHGen does, one which is very likely to not carry over into the future.

If we're actually getting into the "preparation for the future" argument, then If you're just talking core movesets, sure, the older entries won't prepare you as well. But core GAMEPLAY, they'll work just as well if not better.

>The armour and weapon leveling mechanics are greatly improved
Yes man!
I absolutely love having to get 5 rajang nerves just to upgrade (not including the ones you need to make) F.Rajang armor. Much better than simply making the amor once and then just focusing on spheres (which for some unholy reason are night useless in gen).

Weapons leveling would be alright but it really doesn't change the fact that early game weapons are always outclassed.

It doesn't help that Gen is unbalanced as hell in terms of armor (need an armor? Pick a color of rath) and weapons (literally just use glaveanus with absolute readiness).

Apex was cancer and you know it.

>Understanding the core Monster Hunter experience, unmuddled by gimmicks,
So not 3U because of water and not 4U because of mounting and the overall movement and apex monsters.

Why if that was your argument would you recommend MH4U and 3U and not fucking MH1 and only Monster Hunter fucking 1?

>Dreadqueen addressed the problems with normal Ian by giving it an actual ground moveset and combos, suddenly Ian is an actual fun fight
>Dreadking just takes Rathalos and adds more AoEs and flying
It's just rathalos, fuck los period. Ian can actually be a good monster

you say that like it shouldn't be a pain to max defense a monsters armor, especially something as end game as rajang

and all the weapon outclassing you're talking about is a difference of like 10 raw damage and sometimes a slot, all the weapons at the beginning can be leveled up all the way to end game and put up a decent fight at it, obviously there's some stupidly OP outliers, but that's been the case in every monster hunter game

4u is fun with alot of weapons and armors. The only downside is that when you get to mid g-rank the only guild quests that offer anything you need like true/divine armor spheres or beshackled weapons are behind an army of jangs and flamin'pickles.

It's best if you mix up what tou hunt or to just go on gathering quests so that you dont get burn out from farming pickles and jangs for spheres and weapons/armors.

Greatsword had that stronger and harder to place greatsword charge. We call it the Smash Charge (or Strong Charge) and Smash Swipe (or Strong Swipe). Just because nobody uses it (to the point that most TA times are with Striker) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And let's be honest, nobody uses anything but the ground drag or the lion's maw with evasion arts.

Nobody uses the healing phial. Hell, TA uses fucking FRENZY FEVER instead of having more phials or using energy blade.

On the flip side, some arts actually overtune weapons so badly that they become LESS fun to play. Switch Axe, for instance, with Demon Riot and Energy Charge.

It's hard enough to balance 14 weapons, period. Asking them to maintain any semblance of balance for 14 weapons, four styles each, and 3 unique hunter arts each is just silly.

>genshills

Fucking s. Rath in 3u is such a shitter

I play gunner and hes on the ground fucking constantly. I play blademaster and hes flying around in circles to di that slow ass claw swipe that never hits shit.

Then he fucking does it again right after. fuckin 'ell man.

the strong charge barely does more than the original, only difference is that you can't unsheathe into it and it does 20 mv more

the brimstone slash for full effect requires more timing as well as sacrificing like half your health for the maximum potential damage, it's a great exaggerating of what the greatsword does

I won't deny that healing phials are an extremely mediocre art, because they are, but they are a great direction to take for arts and could serve as amazing utility if tweaked properly, energy blade is amazing and if someone doesn't think so they are simply wrong

I do completely agree with you on the switchaxe, but that's more to do with the switchaxe weapon as a whole and capcoms vision with it, if they actually tried to make the axe in any way viable, I'm sure the arts would reflect that, but they decided that the axe should be inferior in every single way possible and so made arts to reflect that, extremely boring arts at that

I think it's also clear that capcom didn't try to balance all 4 styles on all 14 weapons, there is a preferred style for all and the rest are afterthoughts, but does that mean we should remove them? I don't feel like there's a need for that since they still encourage people to experiment and play weapons in gimmicky ways purely for the unique aspect of it

Because the core Monster Hunter experience has been refined considerably since MH1, to which it is no longer representative of the entries that will follow. Similarly, MHGen is not likely to be representative of the entries that will follow.

>so not 3U because of water
Which only came into play in a relatively small handful of fights and wasn't something that spread over the whole game, such as arts and styles do.

>and not 4U because of mounting and the overall movement and apex monsters
Mounting and overall movement however carried over into MHGen, and will clearly carry over into future entries. Those are basic improvements to the standard land combat, and every weapon had a completely different affinity for those kinds of mechanics, with only two weapons able to perform mounts unaided by ledges, and a few weapons having different ways to interact with ledges. Aerial Style gives every weapon mounting capabilities unaided by ledges, which is entirely redundant and somewhat broken given how well the trial run of mounting and ledges went compared to how poorly it could have gone in MH4U.

>Apex monsters
Apex was merely another stage of Frenzy, which was in turn merely an extension of the Rage mechanic, in a different format. Hyper is very much in the exact same vein as Frenzy and Apex, just with different implementation, that being to make the monster stronger and more aggressive, with a gimmick about attacking certain areas but not others. I don't think it's terribly likely Hyper will carry into Gen 5 either any more than Frenzy/Apex carried into MHGen, and I don't think Arts/Styles will carry over (at least in the form they currently exist) any more than custom bowguns, coloured bonus paths, weapon honing, wystones, random skill relic armour and random stat relic weapons did.

MHGen made me mad for multiple reasons, it's the only MH I've dropped by 400 hours. Now for why:

>more mandatory gathering quests than any MH before it
>forced Palico quests
>ugly zoomed in screen
>ugly particle effects
>what they did to Switch Axe
>the entire Variant monster ticket system
>most variant equipment is trash
>no reason at all to fight most of them
>the solution ingame for higher level ticket quests isn't to make the Variant itself harder like the GQ system, but instead add a 2nd monster to hunt (sometimes an annoying one) or onsite only capture quests.
>They finally made an Ukanlos SA!
>IT'S IRREDEEMABLY SHIT
>charms now have a more shit than usual pool
>most armor sets ingame are worthless
>most weapons are worthless
>fashion hunting is very limited in parts unlike 4U
>clownsuits are also very limited
>Exhaust was buffed!
>Hyper monsters are immune to exhaust!
>hyper monsters get bloated HP and sometimes won't even reward their special hyper parts you need after you kill them
>all those multimonster hyper hunts to unlock hunter arts
>weapons that aren't max white without sharpness are objectively worse
>let's buff gunlance and make it more fun to play!
>it's an overall nerf

I hated Apex, and I hated relics before I played MHGen. I ran back to 4U and embraced both with open arms. Fuck MHGen's endgame is shit.

I dont know about you, but i like it, the mechanics they added are interesting, my problem with it is how short it feels, im like 60 hours in and i have faught and beat everything except the diviants, those shouldnt be too bad. And no G rank, which sucks because that cuts how much time id sink into it by like half, besides, high rank feels easy and slow.

>and will clearly carry over into future entries.
But you said it isn't about preparing for future entries.
It is about the CORE Monster Hunter experience
Which arguable means only Monster Hunter 1.
Everything in 4U and 3U is gimmicks then

That is the retardedness of your argument.

It is only about preparation for future entries when you think it helps your argument. When it doesn't then suddenly your argument is about the nebulous concept of the core of monster hunter.
Which somehow is best represented in 3u and 4u.

You are insane and annoying now.

>it's the only MH I've dropped by 400 hours
oh no, what a waste of time

truly this game is satan

>it's the only MH I've dropped by 400 hours.
And that is why capcom hates giving us gaijins the games without g-rank

We are too retarded to compare.

That is why they could have never given us MH4 and had to wait for 4u. Because we are retarded.

Imagine this fucking faggot getting 4 after 3u.
He would've complained about only playing it for 400 hours and then going back to 3u.
Because 400 hours is bad for a game without g-rank.

>it's the only MH I've dropped by 400 hours

Well that is a pretty good money to entertainment value

>weapons that aren't max white without sharpness are objectively worse

not with bludgeoning

There is no fucking endgame. None. Like you said, there's perhaps 2 deviant sets that are worth a damn. The rest are abysmal. So wow, 20 quests and you're done with the "endgame".

I've got 170 hours and check marked all the quests even without deviant shit. There's really no real pressing reason to even get the stuff.

For an MH, that is fucking awful. Some context in past playtimes:

>FU
1350 hours

>Tri
1100 hours

>P3rd
900 hours

>3U
1300 hours

>4U
1700 hours and I still have stuff to do.

Every weapon that isn't Deathprize is objectively worse than a white sharpness weapon with the right crit skills.

Bludgeoning is way overrated.
It is only ever useful with green sharpness.
It is attack up M with green sharpness.

For some retarded reason it is also as easy to gem in as attack up M.
You'll likely need Mind's Eye and even then you will still lose more sharpness.

what were they thinking with aerial style?

hm..15 raw versus 30-40 extra from white multiplier. I wonder...

bludgeoner doesn't make weapons with shit sharpness good, it makes them less shit

from what I remember you get attack up M from a green sharpness weapon

but the difference between a weapon with green sharpness and blue sharpness is a modifier of like 1.17, that's far more than your 15 points of raw damage, 99% of the time

And what's that stuff you're still doing in 4U

is it perhaps farming reeelics?

I really shouldn't ask because you got 1100 hours out of tri, which only had 18 monsters, so clearly you're very capable of putting up with shit

>The strong charge barely does more than the original
You wot.

20 extra motion value is nothing to sneeze at when level three charges have a hidden additional sharpness multiplier of 1.3, and on top of that you can immediately follow into a roundslash that is just as strong as your standard level 2 charge, with a level 3 sharpness multiplier.

Yeah, sure, maybe you can't use crit draw with them, but that doesn't make them not exist.

>a great exaggerating
Do we really need an exaggerating of an already extremely exaggerated weapon? It'll be fun for one entry but I don't see it having a place in the series proper after this.

>Energy blade is amazing
Not as amazing as a 15% affinity boost to your basic moveset. It's fun, I'll grant you, but nobody uses it unless they're deliberately gimping themselves for fun and, in addition, like the Brimstone Slash, the exaggeration is not really needed (nor particularly welcome on my egotistical opinion) in a game like Monster Hunter, which had a relatively subdued feeling to it despite the use of ridiculously large weapons on ridiculously large monsters.

>If the had actually tried to make the axe in any way viable
But that's just the thing. They had. They listened to the fact that the axe was underpowered in 4U and returned its 3U values with the 4U moveset AND furthermore improved the finisher to be even stronger, giving a new and interesting combo path to the weapon that works really well. In terms of sheer DPS, axe has indeed always been on the lower end, just above element phial sword mode, but with the roll into upswing and the new and improved finisher, it's far closer to power phial sword mode than before, even if it doesn't quite reach all the way there, but that doesn't stop it from being a viable and fun way to hunt.

>But does that mean we should remove them?
In their current form, I think we should. I'm not opposed to alternative styles that are actually built and tweaked individually for each weapon.

>you say that like it shouldn't be a pain to max defense a monsters armor, especially something as end game as rajang
You realize that's for every armor?
Shit, if anything rajang is one of the easiest to max since nerves drop like zennith. Everything else?
Enjoy grinding for rare drops, fuck even if you luck sack 5-7 gems/plates/whatever in few hunts you still need extra drops for upgrades. How you think this is better than the previous system is beyond me.
>and all the weapon outclassing you're talking about is a difference of like 10 raw damage and sometimes a slot
What game are you playing?
The difference I'm talking about is natural blue/white with 220ish raw and blast to boot. Which is extremely useful in a game where most weapons need S+2 to reach white. Specially since Absolute Readiness+RS basically means infinite white.
Even if all weapon can be upgraded to "near end game stats" (complete bullshit btw), the difference between this new system and the previous one is minimal.
Want to upgrade Rath weapons? 2 upgrades with mostly rath parts>hr rath>pink/gold rath>G rank rath>G rank pink/gold
Now?
Rath 3 times>hr rath 3 times>hyper rath once/gold rath 2 twice.

Most weapons are still shit eitherway. MHGen has less variety per weapon than 4u even.
Glorified Attack Up M in a game were attack up is already stackable with anything.
>Every weapon that isn't Deathprize is objectively worse than a white sharpness weapon with the right crit skills.
Now this isn't true. bludgeoning was made for akantor.

Where da rooms at? I don't wanna make one because I'm a pussy.

no rooms we're all just complaining about how shitty gen is :^)

I could put up with Tri because it had keyboard support, could talk to people while they're on a quest, and cutting the number of weapons available forced me to step outside my comfort zone. Tri multiplayer really was god tier.

As for what I'm doing with 4U, I'm grinding LEDGs by farming relics. Working on Rusted Kush weapons right now.

Not really, look at the akantor weapons again. Only a couple start in Green in Gen, and one of those is the switch axe that doesn't have power phial (therefore worthless).

I like 4U better too. Not being capped at 30fps makes a huge difference.

15% affinity is nothing, my friend, it's a 3.7% damage increase

I can assure you without having to do math on this that a 200mv hunter art is far superior to you occasionally doing more damage with your regular attacks

when it comes to the switch axe shit, if they had listened they would have made hunter arts that didn't mean you are stuck in sword mode for the entirety of the hunt, but they did, because they visions for the switch axe are simply wrong

And finally the hunting styles, I don't disagree that to a large majority of the playerbase, most of the styles aren't worth touching due to them interfering heavily with what makes the weapons playstyle good, but as of right now there's a style for every single weapon that makes it shine in a completely new light while still being viable, and that's not something we should be throwing away

and to you I wish to redirect you to a weapon wiki so you can actually compare stats yourself

What DID they do to SA and GL?

>But you said it isn't about preparing for future entries.
>It is about the CORE Monster Hunter experience
>Which arguable means only Monster Hunter 1.
>Everything in 4U and 3U is gimmicks then

This has absolutely nothing to do with my argument and is an exceptionally stupid way to read what I have written. I have every faith that you understand what I'm actually trying to say and are deliberately twisting it in the worst possible manner to sound worse than it actually is.

>nebulous concept of the core of monster hunter
Every entry has gimmicks. Some are better implemented than others. Not all of them stay. MH3U and MH4U are not only better games overall with more polish and more content, but they represent the core of monster hunter (hunting monsters) better than MHGen does. Why? Because their gimmicks do not define them as a whole in the same way that MHGen's does.

Not every monster in MH4U is Apex, or frenzy. The Guild Quests are not tied significantly into your progression or hunting experience throughout the game and are optional side content you may complete for additional rewards.

Less than a quarter of MH3U's monster roster consists of underwater monsters. There are very few times where it is mandatory to hunt them, and a couple monsters even have mechanics that allow you to lure them out of water entirely.

In MHGen, every single hunt is affected by styles. Every single hunt is affected by arts. This is unless you deliberately avoid using them, for which playing Guild Style without arts is going to be most representative of the core Monster Hunter experience. If you played MHGen like that, it would indeed be the best entry for preparing you for future entries, as you keep bringing up. However, very few do play it like that. People starting the series with Gen will very likely get used to styles and get used to arts, and then those things will be tugged out from under them.

Getting used to Frenzy as a monster mechanic is not the same.

>tfw the fucking RPG spinoff is clearly built off of 4U's superior branch of the engine.

A lot of the armors max upgrades just require frenzy parts

you would know that if you weren't complaining about literally only the end game armor sets which should by all means be a timesink

Fine. I gotta hunt a Rajang though, no big deal, right?
03-4231-7325-2446
Pass: 6927

4U's online is literally filled with 90% french, cheating fuccbois that have no fucking clue what they're doing.

and people thought the french problem was bad before Gens...they're like a plague, or a cancerous tumor in 4U currently online

SA, nothing really, you do the same thing as usual; mash x -> a or a -> x in sword mode. SA babies will pretend that Axe mode actually did a thing outside of Black Harvest in the original tri

GL's meter is more of a nerf than a buff because of how low the damage increments are

>If you played MHGen like that, it would indeed be the best entry for preparing you for future entries, as you keep bringing up.
I bring it up?

Did you or did you not write "and will clearly carry over into future entries" in your last fucking post?

>15% affinity is nothing
Not in a game based around crit builds which typically utilize a skill that increases the critical hit multiplier from 1.25 to 1.4. Frenzy Fever is Charge Blade's Energy Charge, only not as potent.

Never mind that it can be maintained for far longer than Energy Blade, which is one high power attack that takes 50 fucking years to activate.

>axe mode
>not doing damage

On a downed monster, before perm sword mode was a thing, it was pretty damaging. Now because of Demon Sword you are gimping yourself in axe mode. Shit sucks.

y

Yes. You bring up.

The original core of my argument was never based around being prepared for future entries, but rather experiencing the true core Monster Hunter experience. You are the one who kept bringing up that point of being prepared for future entries, forcing me to continue debating that point.

but axe mode did do something
it let me reload :^)

>but rather experiencing the true core Monster Hunter experience.
And you tried to prove that something was the true core by arguing it will be in the next monster hunter.

Do you not see how retarded you are?

It doesn't take that long to activate, and when it does it usually staggers the monster so it's an extremely safe attack to do

a 6% damage increase is more considerable, but now you're also locked into a skill, while energy blade is simply always a good choice

even I run a crit boost/weakness exploit CB build, and I see no room for frenzy in it

The true core of monster hunter is unlikely to change significantly over the long term, only in small tweaks. Just because this is a fact doesn't mean I was using it to try and "prove that something was the true core".

Why do you keep bringing this up? I have stated multiple times it is not part of the core of my argument and yet you persist in constantly bringing it up, instead of addressing the actual core of my argument, that being what entry better resents the true Monster Hunter experience at its core, something that MHGen does not do nearly as well as 3U or 4U because its central gimmick changes the core experience of Monster Hunter too strongly. That this means will likely not be as representative of future entries as previous ones is not an argument, it's a side note.

Fucking hell, man.

>But now you're also locked into a skill
A skill that is comes in the most generic endgame armour set that everyone uses, and furthermore is almost always in mixed sets that people use for time attacks.

Energy Blade is not simply always a good choice. It does not do enough damage to make up for how long it takes to activate. It's a fun choice. A neat choice in general. But it is not the choice people should be using if they want to kill things faster.

Because there is nothing to address.

You have no evidence and you are arguing feelings.
You feel like they represent the core better. Yet you can't describe what that core is

I could just as well argue that the core of monster hunter is creating your own hunter and using your own armor and weapon is the true core of monster hunter

And MHGen has more weapons and armor sets that are viable given how they updated upgrading.
And styles and arts just add more specialization which add to the core of monster hunter and don't distract from it.

It takes roughly a second to use, and it doesn't even have to fully swing if you're right next to the monster, which I'm pretty sure you should be

you're also not in frenzy all the time, so your 6% damage boost is actually closer to 4-5%

now, I'm sure all those speedrunners have it worked out, but nothing you said convinced me of that, what I'm assuming is the actual reason for it not being used is either
a/ the thing upswings anyone it comes in contact with
b/ it has a tricky angle that can't always be properly used on downed monsters

>A lot of the armors max upgrades just require frenzy parts
>you would know that if you weren't complaining about literally only the end game armor sets which should by all means be a timesink
What end game armor sets did I even mention retard?
Literally I only mentioned raths (which only one is "end game") and rajang.

Also:
>frenzy parts.

Every armor set requires the monster's rarest drop for its last upgrade. Armor making should be a time sink, not def upgrading.
First of all
>15% aff is nothing
lol
>It is a 3.7 increase
LOL

Either way.

Did you check that stuff yourself?
Note how many weapons lack of natural white and how the handful that do have it have top tier raw. You're dumb as fuck if you think any line 1-4 star monsters comes even slightly close to Tigrex (in case of GS) and Glave.
>Not really, look at the akantor weapons again. Only a couple start in Green in Gen, and one of those is the switch axe that doesn't have power phial (therefore worthless).
Just GS, SnS and CB. A shame about SA though.
>armor sets that are viable given how they updated upgrading.
Can you stop saying bullshit?
The upgrade system did jack shit to armor upgrading besides making def upgrading more tedious.
How do you equate that with
>They are more viable!

Also there's a fine damn reason there are only like 3 relevant armor sets in this game.

>Can you stop saying bullshit?
>The upgrade system did jack shit to armor upgrading besides making def upgrading more tedious.
>How do you equate that with
>>They are more viable!
I was mostly talking about weapons but there are more armor sets viable than ever before.

are you gonna actually present math as to why you think a 3.75% overall damage increase is good or are you mildly challenged

Come on, let's just settle this right here and now.
If you were to recommend a friend MH which would it be?
strawpoll.me/11279162

This. Why are people lying saying they reverted to tri's armor upgrade?

No they fucking didn't. Most low rank sets still max out at just past starting high rank. While in tri they typically had more slots AND relatively close defense at max.

Spot the Tribabby who thinks 3U feels "Monster Hunter".

Tri on Wii was the best of 3rd Gen anyway, fight me.

>Yet you can't describe what the core is.
I have. Multiple times. Just because you're ignoring it or do not accept it does not mean I have not done so. But, you know what, I'll reiterate it one more time for you.

Guild Style. No arts. No overly flashy bullshit. This is the core Monster Hunter experience. It is the one that has been slowly built up to with every entry. It will continue to be in Monster Hunter for the foreseeable future, as well. Yes, this is using something's likelihood to carry over into future entries as an argument, but it is not about being prepared for future entries.

Aerial Style. This has no basis in previous entries outside of the Mounting mechanic being introduced in Gen 4, and is unlikely to carry into the future given how much it overly simplifies most weapons in a negative fashion.

Adept Style. No basis in previous entries aside from the fact that people dodge through attacks. Figuratively turns the game into Bayonetta. Overly simplifies the game by making monsters far too easy in general.

Hunting arts. Super Nova, Demon Riot, Energy Blade, Swarm, how do these things represent where the series has come from, and do you seriously see them reaching into the future?

These things are not the "core Monster Hunter experience". And yet, they are entirely too prevalent in MHGen. They get into everything. The game is built around them. When you consider the game as a whole, this means that MHGen is less representative of the core Monster Hunter experience than recent previous entries. There is a way to play MHGen that recovers that core Monster Hunter experience, which I have admitted several times over the course of this exceptionally redundant and mind-numbing argument.

I do not understand why you are continuing to argue with me.
>Creating your own hunter and using your own armour and weapon is the true core of monster hunter
You would be correct - it is part of that core experience. This is why Relic stuff did not work so well

THE SAME in fact. Tri's overforge system was best.

>are more armor sets viable than ever before.
Oh boy I sure love Rathalos (red) rathalos (silver) and rathalos (black and red) with the occasional inclusion of narga for that one SA player.
I won't deny that 4u end game mixed sets were way too good, but gen is barebones in terms of armor selection. No slots and jack shit for mixed sets.

>You would be correct - it is part of that core experience. This is why Relic stuff did not work so well
So why isn't MHGen better at representing that core if you can use so many more weapons?

>still using Tribaby as an insult

After being forced to fight Gen 1 trash in 4U and Gen I'll take that Tribaby slang in stride. Gen 3 > Gen 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> Gen 1

Gen 3 is the best.

In P3rd

Tri a shit

Neither a/ nor b/ are issues that come into play with Time Attackers given that a/ they are playing solo and b/ they live and breathe being properly positioned for every single attack.

Energy Blade simply isn't as useful as you seem to think it is. It is fun. It isn't unviable, yes, for just playing the game as playing the game, but it isn't another in a long string of damage boosts which synergize together to make every single attack stronger. Frenzy Fever may be the difference between eight and a half out of ten attacks critting, and every attack critting.

Hack your 3DS and get it for free. Its not like you want to pay censortendo more money to censor shit

Learn japanese.

Also capcom localized this.

>Tri on the Wii was the best of 3rd Gen anyway
I would argue that, even as someone who started with Tri and remembers it fondly.

>Literally half the weapons of other entries
>Half or fewer the monsters
>High rank locked into a grind-tastic online
>Custom bowguns meaning you needed to buy three separate parts to make one weapon, for which an entire separate armour class existed for just this one weapon

Like three monsters had better incarnations in Tri. That's about it. Even swimming was better in 3U despite the change in inputs.
I did rather like the event system, though.

is there some sort of hidden crit mechanic I'm missing out here

surely a 15% increase in affinity means you will crit 15% times more, am I wrong

and what do these people use their vials on, is it just singular attacks on the face for stun damage? or do they actually use their ultras and burn their shield, because that doesn't seem like its very good for speedrun times

>need Ghoulhorns for Ancient Gyrelance final upgrade
>can usually solo Furious Rajang
>cart thrice to the fucker in a multiplayer room
In multiplayer it's hard to tell which player it is targetting with a lot of its moves, especially the fucking thunder beam. Doesn't help I was playing gunner. At least I managed to get 2 Ghoulhorns in solo without even breaking its horns.

>strawpoll.me/11279162
>all the 4U votes

All that tells me is more people here started with 4U

Because, again, that is only part of the core. Also, you can make way more weapons in 4U man, owing to the fact that you can get parts from the trader to make weapons of monsters not even present.

The other part of the core is the gameplay, which Gen changes far too drastically with the presents of styles and arts to be properly representative unless you play it a very specific way which, for the twentieth time, if you play guild style with no arts, then yes Gen does better represent the gameplay portion of Monster Hunter than MH4U as the basic weapon moveset improvements to Guild Style are exactly of the same nature as previous improvements, and similar improvements will also be made in future entries. However, this specific gameplay style is not one that new (or even old) players are likely to experience at all, which would make MHGen deceptive with regards to the series as a whole no matter if you're going forward or back.

It's an experimental entry for trying various ideas out. That's not a bad thing. It's just, y'know, be aware of that fact.

You should get MH4U OP, Gens is a bit on the shit side.
The 4 styles make some of the weapons obsolete unless you want to feel like a special snowflake and add +15 minutes to your hunts.
There's no good "early" armor, all the cool/useful ones are locked behind Deviant monsters and you need to level EACH part indiviadually from Lvl 1 to 10 (You get skills at 6 but fuck that).
With the new "upgrade" system you can "literally" use any weapon, but again, the best ones are from Deviants (specially Hellblade Glavenus). I got myself an end game weapon with about 230 Attack and a shitload of green sharpness (metal weapon so easy to upgrade with ores) using the Blunt skill and still takes me around 25 mins of constant barrage to kill a Rathalos on solo.
Soloing Deviants is also a pain in the ass, there's literally no options for solo players (very few advanced quests in the village which is the SOLO mode of the game but monsters there hit like a truck to compensate, no other game did this).

Play MH4U and wait for MH5. MHGen was a mistake, the only people that think it's not are the people that got carried online at launch.

tribaby is such a stupid "insult". everything 3rd gen shits on every trash gen 1 and 2 monster. its a compliment really

It's a good game, but I don't really like the maps, in retrospect. I like the ones in Gen better, like the Volcano and Misty Peaks.

Typically, they use their phials on Burst 2 and Burst 3 attacks, then recharge the shield as needed. There's no particular drive to use all of your phials all of the time, they're just a limiting mechanic for making certain moves as potent as they could be. They don't feel like they're wasting energy when they reload despite having all phials in sword mode, when they've already got a nearly full charge on their shield's timer.

it's everything many fans of the series have been hoping for as a spinoff but it will be dead if it comes to the west anyway

sad shit

Pretty much, I don't understand how anyone can defend using it and looking down on people who started with tri. First and second gen are trash

It would just be ruined and filled with horrible fucking memes anyway by the god awful localization team

I definitely don't think Gen is shit, but at the same time you shouldn't play it without playing 4U first. 4U is much more beginner-friendly and just feels better polished all round - it has nice cutscenes, a nice, smooth introduction to game mechanics over time, a story that flows nicely and is a nice incentive for progress that isn't just getting better weapons and gear, and just an overall higher quality "feel" all round. By contrast Gen kind of feels like an expansion pack to 4U, only it feels like it was kind of made on the cheap and just dumps you headfirst into the game without any kind of real introduction to the mechanics. Now, if you've played 4U to death like I have Gen's new gameplay mechanics and different roster of monsters makes it more of an attractive proposition. Then it becomes a worthwhile purchase. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody as their first monhun game, though.

Also, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if they released an MHXG / MHGU some time down the line with more polish and a G rank. Keep an eye out for that.

You've got to be some kind of high-level pedant to get upset at that.

It makes her easily the worst "Gal"

>MHXG

I hope not, I really don't want to have to boycott Monster Hunter of all things. It's the last game I play anymore, if it gets ruined too I'm done. Might have to do something productive.

P3rd is the best entry. It is literally the first modern MH. I love Freedom Unite and played maybe 1200 some hours on it, but alot of the animations and hit boxes are shit.

Tri and 3G have swimming which is shit. It's okay for some weapons but it dodging underwater is like rolling dice sometimes. Also, Moga a shit.

4G's jumping and climbing are a godsend but you can't appreciate them unless you play before they're implemented. 4G is great for adding a ton of older monsters back (muh White Fatalis) and it has a shit ton of content.

MHX is exceptional but you can't get behind it if you aren't nostalgic for the old maps and towns, and can't appreciate the improvements in the movesets. I love MHX but P3rd is where it's at to learn since it's short and sweet.

The localization director who said that, wasn't involved with Gen's localization, go figure.

MHG
P2ndG
3G
4G

You'd think you learn by now...
Oh wait you're new to this aren't you?

Gen is an anniversary gen also we in the west got it.
Surely that means no Gen G

I am playing 3rd right now and having a blast sp I agree that it is a good entry point to the series.Plus you can play it online with ppsspp

>Hey, remember THIS area?
>You will after you do about seven gathering quests in it!
>Hey, remember THIS small monster?
>You will after fighting it in each area! Twice!
I didn't even make it out of low rank and I got it at launch. I'm a Tribabby so the nostalgia had no effect on me, plus the new crafting was terrible and the hunter arts/styles trivialized it even further.

Of of course not, it's an in-between title, like P3rd was. But we'll see...

I honestly wouldn't mind a 14.99 G-rank DLC addon with like 15 more monsters, a new map or two, and a ton of new equipment.

My biggest concern is getting rid of Arts. They can keep styles, but arts need to go and stay gone.

>>I honestly wouldn't mind a 14.99 G-rank DLC addon with like 15 more monsters, a new map or two, and a ton of new equipment.
Its still capcom though.

>game is supposed to be anniversary title
>3rd gen is pretty much ignored and when it is brought up its handled like dog shit

I don't mind but they should be one per quest and only weapon-related. Shit like Hunter's Oasis is broken.

>being an unpopular opinion

What? I do agree with almost everything else in your post, I put in 700 hours in MH4U and got bored after 200 hours in X.

It's not like we didn't already get 3G on the same system. All the third gen nostalgia comes from Portable 3rd.

But would it have killed them to bring back SOME monsters from Tri? Ludroth and Lagi are back, but they removed the fucking JAGGI. Peco and Barioth didn't even make it back and they're getting amiibo figures.

But Portable 3rd wasn't even released in the west so honestly I don't think it counts

What do you mean? Yukumo is great, Mizutsune's integration is handled great, and they have fucking Amatsumagatsuchi.

but yukumo has the best requests ever

Portable 3rd is the best MH though. If you missed it you're a cuck.

> seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

>an entire room of Adept users
>I'm one of them
I'm HH, it's fine, right?

Dude that shit makes me feel fuzzy inside when I go run off to my mission as she says that, with the volume lowering gradually.

Why is MonHun so comfy?

If you got used to the adept counter sure. I'd rather have the double swing myself

MH is maximum comfy

Just listen to this shit:

youtube.com/watch?v=__QdAxqBi5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=isOuCdlm1p8
youtube.com/watch?v=RNfIJIbz-kA

I like the 3 hits for the Adept counter, lets you get off a lot of double notes. I also got the Fool's Harp, so if I'm lucky, I can get off some sleep.

>When the music is so calm you manage to doze off

youtu.be/gwTE3h53USM

Nothing better.

>Gen is an "anniversary game"
>no new diva song
youtube.com/watch?v=gluF4tQByO8

The way I see it, some arts can be fused into the basic weapons for some new mechanics. Gunlance's biggest flaw is its lack of mobility. It has a run-in thrust, but that's basically a non-guarding shield advance from its brother Lance. It has no real charge mechanic, which is why I think Blast Dash would work exceptionally well tied into the weapon's basic moveset for future entries. Its animation already shows reloading before the blast dash, so why not base it around redundant reloads to distinguish it from the Lance, which can charge whenever, but the Gunlance would need to prep it by having full shells before reloading, meaning it couldn't just do it whenever like the Lance can, however it would on the flip side be quicker with more damage potential and not consume stamina as the trade off.

Longsword, for instance. We could take lots of stuff from that. Take the animation for Unhinged Spirit, and do it like the Moonlight Massacre on Bayonetta's Shuraba. youtube.com/watch?v=5TmMFSdGfFg Where you hold R to do it, and it flashes, and at different flashes you can access different moves or skip more of the spirit combo, giving it a predictive ability in exchange for consuming spirit. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a Bayo event set in Monster Hunter, with the Shuraba changing the animation to have the runes like in Bayonetta.

>dodging underwater is like rolling dice
?

I've never had issues with it.

>Tfw i have a OOO +7 Handicraft talisman in 4U and so far i've got nothing close to this beauty in Gen.

Its like the Rng god smiled once to me, but thats about it.

>Frontier already doing that and more

Running reload makes me salivate uncontrollably.

this sounds incredibly stupid, just balance shelling to match melee motion values like 3U. GL's flaw is it's damage not the moveset.

LS needs no new attacks except modify fade-slash so it isn't obnoxious to other players and an R+A path on spirit combo that ends in the upward arc adept LS has

>3rd gen is pretty much ignored
wat
Moga, maybe. 3rd gen? No. Two of the flagships are types that were introduced in third gen, Yukumo is a 3rd gen village, Mizutsune has a rivalry with Zinogre, they brought back Lagiacrus and made it Ivory Lagi on crack (minus super strong face), SEVERAL 3rd gen monsters that weren't in MH4U made a return...

Holy fuck i've just fapped user dont tease my dick again.

>paint tigrex green and give him spikes

Jesus christ, every webm I see of frontier is the same shit, reused skeletons and animations, but this time with extra spikes.

>4U starts with a tutorial fight against a Dahren Mohran
>monster introduction videos shows the hunter interacting with the target monster and transition seamlessly into gameplay for village quests
>Gen just drops you in the village very unceremoniously
>monster introduction videos just show the target monster and flash its name across the screen

No, Tigrex doesn't spin in slow circles, have no charge wind-up, laughable hitboxes anywhere near the tail, or obnoxious wind-pressure on every attack. It is it's own monster

i dont get the appeal of Frontier series, Its like they wanted to create a MH game that could be updated without making it an entirely new game.

As much as it sounds like user's taking a dump on the game, 4U was miles better even with apex and how op IG was. If it's your first mohun game 4U does a fucking spectacular job introducing everything to you, the singleplayer is everything I could've wanted in a monster hunter "story" mode.

Hunting styles look enticing, but they're really just one trick ponys, or "You have to use this or else you're just gimping yourself." not to mention the hunter arts vary from disgustingly OP to why even bother with some weapons. I guess gen doesn't have Gravios so it has that going for it

They're both flaws of the GL. The Lance is only getting more mobile with each entry while the Gunlance is still stuck in the mud. The GL's lack of mobility is one of the least fun things about it. Its basic block is marginally better than the Lance, but it can't really DO anything with it, meanwhile the lance has 50 shield options and exceptional mobility thanks to having three backhops and its charge hop letting it sustain movement for a little bit longer and being able to side hop into shield advance and being able to shield bash into everything else.

They are neglecting things on the moveset end of the GL because they're so fucking obsessed with the shells.

>LS needs no new attacks
The LS doesn't have any real big hit moves that don't come from the ends of its combos. Having some kind of predictive mechanic would be fantastic, and the Unhinged Spirit animation is one of the least ridiculous hunter arts in the game - in fact, it feels pretty at home. The actual mechanic of it as an art can be scrapped, but its animation represents a potential new avenue to expand the weapon. Imagine if players could try to predict a flinch, then start charging as a monster turns around. By the time it charges over to them, they can do the full power slash, flinching them, and then immediately going into the finisher to raise an aura level. It'd take too long to spam like Greatswords do, but it would be entirely within the "spirit" of the samurai that the longsword embodies, I think. Hell, the way the weapon's treated in MHGen already pretty much cements the idea that the devs think of it as a samurai weapon.

Glavenus > Astalos >>> Mizu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gammoth

I loved the idea of Gammoth but it's fight is just so fucking bad.

you're arguing about dumb shit that has been refuted in the thread like 50 hours ago

youtu.be/f4pUXh2HfBg

The only objectively good things about Generations

>Glavenus
>Astalos
>The "idea" behind Deviants
>The "idea" behind the new upgrade system
>Bherna Gal
>Guild Gals in their military uniforms with skin tight leggings
>Guild shop keeper who makes lewd noises as you shop

I'll raise you

youtube.com/watch?v=zXrFL_sGNlc

>Gammoth has a cool gimmick with it's trunk
>I GOT AN IDEA, FUCK THAT COOL IDEA, ADD NOTHING BUT AoES
>WHY ANIMATE ATTACKS WHEN WE CAN JUST ADD A GIGANTIC SPHERE OF MAGIC TO AVOID

It's funny because in that webm, Dyuragaua doesn't do a single same animation as Tigrex (other than the basic turn).
And it's just the regular version.
Doesn't even have the G or HC moves.

I'm now worried you've never seen a Tigrex.

You forgot to add:

>You can remove all decorations at once, no more looking around where you put that one specific decoration.
>Innate Speed Gathering for carving
>Keeping the A button pressed for continous gathering, no longer you have to spam A.
>Better visual particles
>Simplified Kinsect upgrade system
>Fixed the severe nerf of LS from 4U
>Hyper monsters
>You do not need to have the item you want to multiply on your inventory
>Another monster with Bleeding status

I wouldn't call hyper monsters a plus except for Astalos and Tigrex who actually behave differently and have more combos. Frenzy was a better mechanic

>They're getting amiibo fuigures

What will they do? Will they be as pointless as shovel knight?

will this game ever be on console?

>fixed the severe nerf of LS from 4U
That's a myth. It may have adjusted its TA ranking ever so barely, but the new moveset options more than made up for any "nerf", and competent players could get right back up to red instantaneously regardless, without the need to prepare a full spirit combo to refresh it, or the urge to finish every single spirit combo with a finisher just so you could keep Red up as long as possible just so you wouldn't go down to Yellow, at which point what is even the point of Red being refreshable if you're just gonna spam full combos all the fucking time?

The 4U aura lifted the restrictions on your playstyle. Sure, you needed to do three full spirit combos every two minutes, but for two minutes you didn't need to do ANY full spirit combos unless you WANTED, which compared to 3U literally every spirit combo was a full one or bust because fade slashes would always end it early, whereas in 4U you could go from a fade slash and perform a move that skips half of the spirit combo while closing distance for an easy shortcut to the finisher.

4U's longsword played the best of any incarnation of the aura. 3U/Gen's longsword is just fucking mind numbing.

>Frenzy was a better mechanic

Aaand opinion discarded.

Between frenzy and hyper i'd take frenzy of course, but thats not to say Hyper monsters werent a good thing, they are not nearly as good as frenzy but they did shake things up a bit in Gen by making you fill the arts gauge upon hiting certain parts.

Apex on the other hand where a good riddance, but i do want Capcom to keep nurturing the frenzy mechanic, i just dont know how are they gonna keep it for future games.

>Frontier and Online have their own Wolf Wyvern monsters
>Mainline is still stuck with just Zinogre
They really need to use that skeleton some more

No, mainline and Frontier have Zinogre
Frontier has sabertooth cats that are mistaken for wolves as well
Online has a Rajang reskin that rips off all it's gimmicks from better monsters than it

>tfw no mhgenerations on vita

>zinogre getting green electricity
Why does this bother me so much?

How did they manage to add cel shading with all that flashy stuff on a 3DS? is the New 3DS really capable or is it some optimization wizzardry?

>Green electricity

Its not green its still blue what are you even talking about?

Its blue

My point still stands. Zinogre's skeleton should be used for some new monster ideas

It starts off blue then turns astalos green after the jump m8.

Do you have the Bracydios one with the training montage?

>long ass cutscene attacks
no thanks, that's one of the reasons I dropped 7th Dragon. Get to the point or stop wasting my time.

One would think a Monster Hunter would appreciate Slow.

You can skip them.

>tfw had a OOO +5 FastCharge Talisman in 4U
Made using Bow and Great Sword a nonissue when it came to armor. Just need one (1) free slot if it didn't have Focus already on it. Custom Talismans when?

I had this itch to play 3U again, should i? Is it gunlances or sword and shield good there

>frenzy
>better
>implying that shitty no "red portion of health bar" debuff makes any fight harder
>being that much of a shitter to get the debuff
>inb4 b-b-but muh frenzy affinity buff

id take hypers any day, at least they're a bit more challenging, and dont exhaust, iirc

No it doesnt, its blue from finish to start senpai, why are we even discussing this?

Do you think that the only thing different about Frenzied monsters is their ability to inflict you with Frenzy?

Frenzied monsters were faster and gained more damage as well as, on occasion, access to new moves, or ways to switch up old moves to fake you out.

You may be colourblind if you think this is blue.

Please take this test. enchroma.com/test/instructions/

An easy example is that Frenzy Brachy's slime puddles would have a random delay before exploding

Frenzy Zinogre's pounces had an entirely different timing and it would occasionally stagger the last one at random if I recall correctly.

>Hunt Hyper Mizu as a Gunner (Bow)
>Get one shot within the first 30 seconds of the hunt
>Later die to an attack that most definitely did NOT hit me
>Pretty much have to not get hit by any significant attack to survive
>Implying you can kill it fast enough
Sure, I'm bad at video games, but that's far from balanced.

Don't buy mh dude. If you're anything like me you're not autistic and youll get bored after the third time hunting the same monster. Nintendo wants to shill this game but it is a lot like work. 3u player here and im pretty sure that was the best one

>not finding enjoyment in learning the monster's patterns and moves to the extent of being able to hunt it faster and with fewer healing items used each time
>not using different weapons when hunting the same monster so it's a different experience each time

I don't get bored of fighting one monster unless I have to do it a ton of times straight in a row
Especially in G-Rank when you constantly have to be on your toes

G-rank burns me out so bad, dude. It's fun in small doses but I legitimately find high rank to be way more fun in general.

G-Rank can be tough to solo but it's way better for multiplayer than High Rank

>It looks very fun and a friend of mine I know in real life said he'd buy it too if I did.
Local MH with a RL friend is an excellent experience all around. Buy it.

Op has a friend. If you had one of those you'd see the game differently.

Result: Deuteranopes

THE ACTUAL FUCK? IM COLORBLIND?

What kind? Mild? Strong? Did it say if the glasses would likely help you or not?

But yeah, there's a lot of people that go throughout life missing a somewhat finicky spectrum that don't realize it 'til someone points something out at like, 30 years old.

What is your gimmicky set for fun that isn't based in efficiency or potency?

you just ruined his life user

Mild kind, not as bad as i thought to be but still, being colorblind huh. I think ill seek an Ophthalmologist, but the website said that the glasses could help.

God damn thanks for the heads up user

Only thing I'll miss about Generations is Bherna Gal's "See ya". It's too fucking cute.

Oh yeah and Dinovaldo is cooler name than Glavenus.

Keep in mind that those glasses have a two month full refund for any reason policy.

But yeah good luck man.

>sabertooth cats
But they are wolves.
They move like wolves.
They look like wolves.
And even if the top two weren't true, the game calls them wolves, which makes them wolves.

>They move like wolves.
>Teostra moves like a wolf
year, okay
>look like wolves
>short snouts, strong neck muscles, use pawns for striking, teeth designed for piercing rather than gripping
yeah, okay
>game calls them wolves
I'll have to fix my post then! Clearly I meant Yian Garuga who is clearly a wolf just like Rajang is a lion!

It's a 200 hour game thatuou will eventually drop without completing adding to your sadness cayse by never finishing anything you start

>Yian Garuga Title:
>Black Wolf Bird
>BIRD

>Nono Title:
>Female Sound Wolf
>WOLF

And other than the basic charge they share nothing in common, so I don't really what point you're trying to make there.
As for the physical comparisons, they may not be a 1-to-1 relation to a wolf and in fact take some parts from sabertooth cats, like the large fangs.
But, they also have the thinner legs, longer tail, and upturned pointed ears akin to wolves.

And it's all moot because the game calls them wolves.
I missed you hyper autism about calling Nono and Kamu wolves guy

Just got an evade/evade distance lance setup. I understand that evade distance is a double edged sword with lance since you lose position, but fuck is it fun to chug a mega dash juice and become an infinitely backhopping maniac. I end up with the mobility of SnS

You can still position well enough, generally it's worth being able to get out of the way of shit with one hop instead of two.

I prefer Guard Lance as a playstyle usually but I swap between the two a lot.

Yeah i know. I just wanted to say that before someone came down on me for acting like evade distance up on lance is godly

>mfw all the fucking tribabbies in this thread

You only get to talk shit about monster hunter if you started on freedom unite or earlier.

i started with tri and then went back and put a few hundred hours in MHFU. Do i get to shit talk?

I found tri to be significantly better. And one of the best since. Some of the best maps and monsters in the series. Could have had more challenge though.

I solo'd through FU all the way through G3* with a gunalnce first and I think Tri was better. So there.

He never stated that FU was better or not.
Just that you can't talk shit without starting on it.

Mechanically I'd say Tri was better, but I can't say I'm fond of the general trend it started in terms of making monsters easier and hunters stronger.

i felt like a lot of MHFU difficulty game from hitboxes that made little sense and lingered too long.

Is Ariel SA really that good? I've just stuck with guild style.

does anyone else feel like aerial greatsword is for people who want to play GS but dont want to get good?

I found it in general that from Tri onwards, monsters started doing less overall damage as well as hunters having more tools to do damage.

Stamina, mounting, blast, stuff like that keeps getting piled on while monsters do less and less damage until you hit endgame and suddenly they skyrocket upwards like Hypers and Apex.
I'm not mad at having more options, but sometimes it feels like sometimes monsters have no way to counter some of the things you can do. Like how mounting has no direct cost to the person doing the little mini-game even if they fail it other than time.

And personally I never found the hitboxes to be too terrible, but that could easily just be the time I've spent getting used to them talking.

>guild sns
>better than striker sns

I wonder if this game takes place in the actual MH world in some remote corner or more of an alternate reality thing.

yeah i agree with pretty much everything your saying. Except for the hitboxes. I thought they were frustrating in FU. Hell, i find some of them in Gen to be frustrating. Its strange to me that a hitbox capable of knocking me down comes from a monster barely moving its neck, and it will linger for awhile too.

>doing out of the fry pan in low rank gear
>do the deviljho in 25 minutes
>think I've won it now because everyone says the narga and tigrex are pushovers
>single tigrex charge leaves me with a pixel of health when he's not enraged

Can't git gud I quit.

Least I got my power/armor talons.

Freedom unite is the Shit, I dumped around 200 hours into it on the vita with a few friends last year. It was a blast

Anyone else played the Stories demo yet?

I can't read a word of it but I'm glad there's a double or quadruple speed option for battles

Oh christ I think I finally got the item that lets me use Monster Meadows

Why is guild IG in both B and C

Being able to skip almost everything is nice too.

Why is the deviant monster theme so shit? It sucks when compared to almost every equivalent monster's standard theme, like Zinogre or Glavenus

It's out?

That general trend from Tri onwards came about as a result of general monster design, which had improved significantly from FU. Monster hitboxes were tighter in general, so as a result they had more inventive and generally faster movesets in addition to being significantly less predictable than monsters in earlier generations.

But it's important to note that not everything has been rosy for hunters. Tri also added:
>Elemental Blights to various element-based attacks that a great many monsters possess, those being:
>>Fire draining your health, starting with red health so being less dangerous than Poison in general, but also leaving no red health once it reached green unlike poison, meaning no recovering.
>>Water pissing your stamina recovery rate, which can be a royal pain in the butt to any weapon that uses stamina as a resource, in addition to making hunters more prone to wombo combos due to running out of stamina.
>>Ice increasing your stamina consumption rate, so you could expend a lot more than you expected to and get cornered as a result.
>>Thunder lowering your resistance to stunning, in addition to guaranteeing stun if you're hit by a second thunder attack.
>>Dragon... I think lowered your affinity in Tri? By like 50%? Regardless, ever since it has removed your element, which fucks over faster weapons or status weapons.

And furthermore, it introduced Monster Resistance Growth, which would result in monsters being affected by status effects such as traps, flash bombs, or paralysis for less time with each infliction, and/or increasing how long it took to inflict these statuses, in the case of paralysis, poison, and sleep. These made it considerably harder to cheese the monster effectively.

In addition, despite the addition of Mounting in 4, Frenzy was introduced as that entry's gimmick, which would prevent monsters from becoming exhausted as well as improve their damage and speed, and occasionally make tweaks to their moveset as well.

So are people playing gen on Cred Forums still or am I doomed to play with pubscrubs if I want to play with others?

People are still playing.

I mean we could play the game.
Or we could bitch about which minimally different game in the series is objectively better and insult everyone who think the other essentially same game is better.

It's shit.

do I have to go to /vg/, or am I just on Cred Forums at the wrong time of day and miss the room threads?

>love MH4U and MHG
>wish there was a MH on PC so I could stop playing on a tiny screen
>MHO is shit
>God Eater 2 comes out
>instabuy
>game is so bad it makes me lose interest in MH-like games entirely, including MH itself

>minimally different
That's like saying every Zelda game is the same.

Cred Forums doesn't have "room threads" anymore generally unless you keep an eagle eye on it for hours. You can post a room and people will join.

>That's like saying every Zelda game is the same.
Please take a fucking step back and realize that the argument between MH4U and MHGen is retarded.

Imagine explaining it to someone who has no idea about monster hunter. Maybe that should help you how retarded you are.

I'm waiting for daily threads again so I can host rooms. I still have a few HR7 quests to finish.

Generations is an alright game for a starting place. Especially since you wont be burnt out from 4U.

It's got some annoying problems such as shit pacing, lack of story (I'd argue Monster Hunter doesn't need it but 4U's was just enough without going overboard into full on cinematic territory) the quests are not as good as 4U's and the collection of monsters is mostly nostalgia based (4U had a similar thing but it also had many newer monsters) but these are just a few problems with the overall game being pretty damn good.

Also, MonHun with a friend is the bee's knees desu. You're gonna get a way better experience out of it like that.

Monster hunter 4 Ultimate had a whole 33% more game and you could make shit from monsters that don't even show up in the game.

Monster Hunter Generations lets you do super attacks and change your weapon to fit a gimmick.

There you go.

They're both good games but 4U straight up has more shit
Both have their fair share of problems as well, especially with the "endgame" stuff

Okay now imagine telling this to someone outside these threads and why it is your personal responsibility to shit on anyone who might like the one with more gameplay more than the one with more content.

It's my personal responsibility to shit on these other people because they like a game I don't like.
Y'know, standard Cred Forums shit. Everyone around here understands it.

And yet the blights could be easily negated with nullberries, frenzy could easily be used to buff the hunter with some aggression, and the increasing amount of how long it took to apply statuses was already in at FU (but only up to 3 times before it stopped increasing).

It still doesn't solve the issue of monster damage being lowered as well as hunter abilities being increased, with more skill points per armor as well as charms and that kettle of fish.

I like Tri and onwards, but I'd rather they give the monsters more strength and aggression overall combined with the overall improvements on animation and hitboxes.
Which is why I play Frontier, since it's doing exactly that.

>adept bow
Well done

>he actually fell for the god eater meme
hahahahahaHAHAHAHA

>already hated the fact that the 3DS screen is so small that the UI clutters almost 50% of the screen
>Gen makes it even worse by lowering the hunter FoV and making the clock and hunter names take up more space
Shit like this is why I want the series to go back to home consoles

Maybe they should release it on home console once in a while

And if it isn't one that is absolute dogshit like the WiiU some people might actually buy the games.

I use adept switch axe.
In axe mode.

Not in Japan, they don't buy consoles in the first place anymore.

That's a Gen issue, not a handheld issue. Monster Hunter's biggest problem has always been its camera being too fucking close, who the fuck's idea was it to make it even closer?

>Lodestar quests