youtu.be/nhSR_6-Y5Kg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump with patent freepatentsonline.com/WO2016147731A1.html

this is it

my dad works at nintendo, he told me it was this kind of weird gimmick

Tell us more.

Hopefully nothing.

tl;dr
>It's a method of projecting images on uneven surfaces so that the projected image appears even from one viewpoint

They've invented a way to project a display onto an uneven surface by correcting the angular distortion - essentially creating a holographic screen.

>be surrounded on all sides by projection of hyrule
>surround sound speakers
>motion control

it glasses free VR memeplebes. suck it

Maybe they want it so that all their games are stuck at shit resolutions due to the per-pixel cost of projectors and they can spend less money on development time because graphics won't matter anymore once everything is a blurry blocky mess.

>blurry blocky mess

of FUN!

NX. Expect more gimmicks soon

So it's that retarded projector thing xbone tried to hype, only with the understanding that most people don't have unused rooms like that?

Personally, I just wish the whole concept would die because we have these things called televisions.

Jesus fuck that's awesome.

he said it was really strange and that NINTENDO IS DOOMED

Why not innovate?

Well, we did hear that Nintendo would be focusing more on AR than on VR. I could see it.

This, plus, how would they deal with mirrors and other reflective surfaces.

Because not practical.

Thats pretty damn cool, but it probably will never be used by Nintendo, just like 99% of all the other patents vidya companies file. Their R&D guys invent some cool shit, then they file it away and make money licensing or selling it to somebody else.

A Reggie Mii shaking its head saying "Jesus christ man quit fucking around"

>Thats pretty damn cool

You don't even know what the fuck it is drone

Augmented Reality of course

It's literally explained in this thread, you moron.

>mfw projecting games onto the ceiling of the subway on the way to work
It's not enough that I should play my 3DS, everyone must marvel at my power level.

To project the nintenflops.

Alright so 2 problems with this kind of tech, and 1 bit of good news
1. Unless your room is pitch black you won't see anything.
2. Pov is determined by the position of the user, or more likely the user's controller, which means that only 1 person in the room will be able to see the image properly, and everyone else gets a distorted mess.

Now the good news:
It looks like nintendo might be trying to appeal to the cave-dewelling friendless neckbeards, which means after 3 generations of casual shit for children nintendo might finally make a good game.

>projecting

>implying you're allowed to put things on your walls
Nope, this is only for people who have completely empty walls and no television (because the matte of the television wouldn't display the projection)

it's an interesting patent, dumbo

they are combining it with the vitality sensor

It's not like they're going to base a console off this. It will be an additional feature if not a peripheral at best, and more than likely won't be used at all.

Kekked

Don't people have at least one empty wall where they can project the game?

>MORE FITNESS GARBAGE

NOT FUCKING FAIR!!!!

you need a perfectly flat wall thats as white as the clan can make it tho

for projecting the crushed dreams of nintendofags who thought the NX would be anything other than a glorified amiibo machine

>It's not like they're going to base a console off this. It will be an additional feature if not a peripheral at best, and more than likely won't be used at all.
This isn't sony we're talking about where they saw some idea, repackaged it with 3 tech demos, and forgot about it 3 months later.
This is nintendo! We're either never going to see it again or it's going to be the foundation for a really shitty console.

Making the average Joe interested in their product is what rakes in the cash and keeps them in business to make traditional games. Being mad about them trying to innovate and making popular fitness games is pretty stupid.

>inb4 "but that's all they make" shitposting
Not even responding.

>perfectly flat wall
Take a closer look at the images and read the thread a bit, user.

>2. Pov is determined by the position of the user, or more likely the user's controller, which means that only 1 person in the room will be able to see the image properly, and everyone else gets a distorted mess.

True. Unless you're sitting on top of the projector, attempting to get a picture on an uneven surface would end up with gaps & shit.
And even if the projector "knew" where your eyes would be seeing it from, it couldn't adjust for that in most situations.

>NX is a handheld on par with ps4 and xbone that can also project onto any surface
PLEASE NINTENDO MAKE THIS HAPPEN

I do, but it's still the worst possible place in my room or I would have put other stuff there.

you'll still need a flat wall cus that shit is Never going to work
especially not on a glorified cellphone

Disagree. The 3DS introduced the concept like this with AR games, but the system isn't "based" around AR and basically no 3DS games use it. This is the same kind of thing.

Remember this?

youtube.com/watch?v=re1EatGRV0w

the 3ds was viciously underpowered for ar tho

There is one important question left. What's going to project the image? Suppose that the image is either moving, or it's projected 360 degrees around the player (otherwise there is no point, you can project an unmoving image on a wall just fine).
Does nintendo expect every player to glue a projector on their heads, or have multiple projectors to cover 360 degrees? Or will their new console contain one in the controller?

Yeah but every game still supports that AR trash regardless of how poorly utilized it is, same as with the DS's dual screen system despite the fact like 3 games actually make use of it and only 1 of those makes good use of it.

>Nintendo Projection Paten
It's a patent to protect their method of calling anyone who dislikes the way they handle localization an entitled misogynist.

>every game still supports that AR trash
No. They don't.

>same as with the DS's dual screen system despite the fact like 3 games actually make use of it and only 1 of those makes good use of it
Your opinions are those of a retard.

>>perfectly flat wall
>Take a closer look at the images and read the thread a bit, user.
Not him but the number of objects in the way, their color, and their texture will drastically affect picture quality.
No, that shit was a great idea by comparison, this is just orthographic projection and perspective art put together.

Didn't MS do that a few years ago already? I remember a tech demo showcasing exactly that type of projection.

It's not multiplayer friendly, forget it.
The best usecase is projecting stats as in that OP picture, and even that is farfetched.

>Your opinions are those of a retard.
Name 5 games where it's not just a minimap/inventory/character stats or something else that you would only normally look at after pausing anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=ILb5ExBzHqw

That's what I'm talking about, "roomalive"

>normally only look at a minimap after pausing
Get a load of this retard. And its primary uses are for controls and menus.

Controls could have just been done with a single touchscreen, menus make way more sense after pressing start, who the fuck wants to inventory manage in live gameplay.

There's no point on patenting that. People have been doing that for decades.

>A midrange Projector is roughly $500 >Without any corrective technology
>Basic pocket projectors are shitty
>Projectors require a fair amount of power; not optimal on battery-based units

Nothing NX related, I'd imagine.

Seems more likely this is for special displays in their brick-and-mortar stores like in NY.

The NX will cost $899, mark my words.

That's called a VR cave and it has been known and done ffor decades. They can't patent that.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gnq-8iaOcXk

It's also way, WAY more expensive, complicated and unpractical than current (glasses) VR.

They're going to do AR because fuck VR.

Not him but he's probably right, nintendo's main focus with a console's design is something small and seemless
This would be bigger than a ps4 pro, have to be placed in the middle of your room, and make a god awful WROOO noise like all projects since they heat up so fucking bad and have rotating color wheels.

What if its tied into a handheld system just giving you the option to project onto a wall for a bigger screen when you want one? Like when lying in bed you could project it onto your ceiling and shit.

how fucking salty are you? Go outside and make a friend, noones that aggressive over something that small. You have problems man.

3DS has AR.

But doesn't that mean they would have to know exactly where you sit so it isn't a wierd image?

No, it just needs to know where the projector is. Then you have to choose where to sit to see well just like with an actual projector.

Reminds me of this.
youtu.be/nhSR_6-Y5Kg

So it's like Splinter Cell Conviction and instead of being in the game, it's real. Wow, so cool, yay.

It depends on how small they can make it, but if they make a Wii Fit-brand lifestyle product that does this, it would be pretty cool. Hard to see how cost effective it could be. Like a Fit Bit wouldn't be cheap if it could project.

Yes, hence the entire point of this technology, it's a projector rendering on an uneven surface with an image projected to appear perpendicular to the observer.

Nintendo games can only be good stoned.