Is there such thing as a JRPG with good gameplay?

Is there such thing as a JRPG with good gameplay?

pic not related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7TPgkwTtEMI?t=2m31s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Grandia
SaGa
Falcom's Trails series

So5 had great ideas and fucked every single one of them in public.

Only if it goes outside the bounds of RPG and into another genre. Like a tactical RPG or an action RPG.
Japan can't make a 100% RPG worth a shit.

Mario

Welcome to the Star Ocean series.

I swear, anyone who didn't see this coming is blind.

Trails in the sky?
And though I haven't played them, the other trails games I assume?

Shin Megami Tensei after they added the Press Turn system

Pretty embarrassing considering it was somehow worse than the last two

KH2FM

>mfw people said it's short as fuck even for 100%
>put 100+ hours into it
The characters are great and the private actions are amazing, it's been years since i heard that much actual spoken dialouge in a game. I spent at least like 15 hours listening to conversations

Very nearly every single one before they went down the "action combat" shitter ~12 years ago or so.

>even Akiba's Beat looks like it will have better combat than SO5
youtu.be/7TPgkwTtEMI?t=2m31s

Isn't the Trails series just ATB / Press turn style fuckin turn based gobshite?

all turn based combat is completely hashed out and fucking dead

you're a literal loon cunt if you think otherwise, like this guy there's nothing good about a style of gameplay where 95% of titles will let you grind and grind and grind and grind to the point where it's tedium instead of fun

Is it worth the 22€ in the PSN?
Any pros or cons?

It's alright for that price.

>Falcom's Trails series
nigger what

Just yesterday we had a TiTS thread and everyone that loves the game said gameplay isn't good

Try not to misinform anymore

If you're actually good at the game, you don't need to grind in the Trails games, or at least in Trails in the Sky and newer you don't. It's neither ATB nor press turn combat. If I had to compare it to anything else, it's kind of like FFX's turn style but with Grandia's movement options.

I don't agree with that statement at all. Heck, the main reason why I like the games are because of the gameplay, though the characters are also another draw.

Grandia
Vagrant Story

Seconding SaGa that series is closest we will get to good open world game.
Also that leveling system is amazing.

my problem with turn based shit is it's obstentatiously a fuckin numbers game, where if you're equal and know the boss you'll prolly come out on top or otherwise you're overleveled and treat the boss like a retarded fuckin reprobate or if you're underleveled you gotta put your dick back in your hand and fuckin go down to town and punch more squirrels or some shit

like was over at me mate's place and borrowed persona 3 FES to check out and was doin fine and shit but like fuckin maybe 15 hours in there's instant kill aoe moves on the second floor of the dungeon. like fuckin why the fuck is this ghost fuck able to luck out and kill my whole fuckin party or even just my protagonist with a fuckin spell i can't avoid cos i haven't any fuckin instant death protection at this stage of the game. wiped out like an hour of me progress so i fuckin turned off my ps2 and went to play DE: MD instead.

in some sort of actiony game if there's a big who's fuckin whotsit spell that's gonna kill you in one hit you have a chance to dodge the loony fuck instead of just crossing your fingers and saying 'well golly aye hope it don't fuckin hit me this time'

Ys in general. OP didn't say they couldn't be action RPGs.

Grandia
The World Ends With You
Arc Rise Fantasia
SMT games with press turn
I haven't played one that I enjoyed yet but apparently the Tales series has good gameplay and if these are considered JRPGs then:
Tactics series
Kingdom Hearts series

Nocturne
Strange Journey

I really wonder why you faggots were even hyped for it outside of some retarded console war faggotry, SO only had a single good game in its entire franchise, why would this shit be any better just because they had a fanservice character? Fucking retards all of you

RPGs in general, especially the older games, require proper preparation, like for Persona 3 with instant-kills or weaknesses in general. You're supposed to fuse Personas with resistances. But yeah, most of the games recommended in this thread don't have as much bullshit as the Persona and SMT games (though they're good if you like RPGs).

b8 thread but i'll bite

Lol no

Blue Sphere?

>Dark Souls

i know about resistances and shit but like any fuckin persona that resisted dark or whatever still didn't fix my fuckin teammates who had shit personae who got threaded by fucking ocotpi cock whenever mamudo or mudo was cast

so it was either drag 3 corpses with me with junpei bein like 'lad i'm sleep' every five minutes since FES doesnt let ya abuse the day before the full moon like the earlier version i guess or run from all those fights which was shit

i enjoyed SMT nocturne though
i just fuckin hate that shit in RPGs mate
instant death is always a shit mechanic

He said JRPGs, not WRPGs.

Dark Souls isn't a JRPG

Protect me while I hack this. All enemies zero in on the character you need to protect, game over. FUCK THIS GAME!

If a JRPG is defined by having shitty gameplay and a corny story, then it is impossible for a JRPG to have good gameplay.

JRPG literally means japanese role playing game. Where do you think Dark Souls was made you damp shits?

>inb4 retarded argument that it's the style and not the origin that makes a jrpg

>Made by a Japanese company
>Somehow isn't a Japanese RPG

I guess this is a JRPG then.

It's a meme you dip

Amazon was selling the physical version was $28.41 on September 6th, but this is currently the cheapest price. It's a good lewd photo game.

Didn't the person making the game call it a JRPG? That makes it a JRPG, then.

that's obviously a Post Modern rpg

Valkyrie Profile

the problem is they dont even bother making interesting tbs combat with any depth and tactics

I'm currently playing through SO: Last Hope and Reimi's big ass makes me erect every time she shoves it in the camera.

If you walk away from the game with that being the highlight and you are fine with that then SO5 is pretty great for Fiore.

Not even that since every single angle has been saved as a screenshot

How is that mobile shit they released anyway? We will never have our Silmeria game

Etrian Odyssey

Skies of Arcadia

>random encounter every 5 seconds
>enemy is 7 loopers
>their magic attack animations take 30 seconds each
>they move first

You're blinded by nostalgia. The only good thing about the gameplay was the music changing during the fights depending on whether you were kicking ass or not. And don't forget the godawful ship battles.