twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sphere grid
battle system

>what didn't go right
story

Grid System
Graphics
Music

One of the only games that made me cry, though I was only a kid at the time. The ending seems kinda silly to me now.

>Sphere Grid
Agreed
>Battle system
Agreed
>Story
Eh, could have been worse. It has grown on me the past few years, even though there's some really cringy scenes (not even refering to HA HA HA)
>Graphics
Cutscenes are gorgeous and the main characters are done well, but it's a damn shame that the minor characters are done poorly.
>Music
Completely agree

>What went wrong?
Got remastered on PS3, can't play it on PS4 without buying again. Really don't want to fire up a dinosaur to play it.

grid system
graphics
setting
boss music
blitzball
lulu
rikku
summons creature design
handles theme well without going full darkness

Am i the only one who didnt like the grid system? I got more satisfaction from my characters climbing in lvls compared to a grid.

Check the bargin bin at walmart. Just grabbed a copy for 15 bucks.

Blitzball
Juxtaposition of old tired narrator Tidus against naive young Tidus
A waifu for everyone's different tastes
Music
Battle system
Jecht

I've seen complaints about it, although I don't exactly remember them
I like it, I can stop at the level 4 lock and keep my characters unique or make everyone the same and fill out the empty nodes

I hate the licence board tho, worst character development system in the series imo

>PS3
>Dinosaur

Funny how Japan is only just now starting to move away from the PS3 and making games just for PS4.

>Sphere Grid
Haven't played Expert since I only played the US PS2 version but feel that way is really the only way to play it
>Battle system
I honestly love turn base systems. And FFX handled really well with turn order
>Story
I feel really weird in saying it but I honestly liked Tidus. But I think it's because I related to him when I played it. Feel if anyone had a normal family childhood they would really hate Tidus but I never felt an ounce of hatred for him.
>Music
Some nice ones but a lot of meh. It really showed that Uematsu didn't play much of a role in the music. And felt like people were trying to emulate his style but never really getting it. Still some nice tracks but not nearly some of the best OTS for a Final Fantasy game FF8 has the best
>Graphics
Still holds up well honestly. A few weirdness in the textures but still a nice looking game.

I'd have to start both over, and idk about doing the via infinito a 5th time, and then 2 more after that.
youtube.com/watch?v=9MuzJ8nG1Ig

Nothing, it's a mediocre game with terrible voice acting and braindead combat with bad animations that has you go on an infinite hallway to have fucking random encounters in a fucking PS2 game. Characters seem to have no purpose being there (aside from the main two protagonists) and the story is as clichéd as it can go.

It had good graphics and music though.

I left this game when I got to the lighting towers, does it actually get good at any point?

battle system
sphere grid
characters (mostly)
story
OST
blitzball
aeons
weapon customization

>what went wrong
no airship and overworld
feels claustrophobic at times

but you get an airship. just not the overworld to go with it.

>I left this game when I got to the lighting towers, does it actually get good at any point?
Ah, I see. Your opinion is irrelevant then.

yeah, should've said "no flying around"
that was always one of the best moments in FFs for me, getting your airship and flying around doing fuck all

>literally played the game for over 10 or 15 hours
>the first 10 or 15 hours of a game are somehow irrelevant

How fucking dumb can a comment get. How the fuck can a game run for so long without being engaging in any way? There are many games that tell a full story and have full character progressions in 15 hours, why can't FFX do that?

>What went right
Decent battle system
Decent story
Blitz Ace

>What went wrong
It's awfully boring to prepare for endgame shit like monster arena and dark aeons. Fuck that chocobo race, fuck fighting Jumbo Flan and Greater Sphere for stat spheres, and fuck playing blitzball a bazillion times or resetting your blitzball stats for wakka's stuff.

Endgame devolves into autohaste quickhit and multihit overdrive usage

Cutscenes are also unskippable and it feels really stupid if you get stuck on bosses like Yunalesca.

>Muh opinion is relevant though.
You still think Tidus time traveled to Spira. You still think Yevon is good. You still think the pilgrimage is about killing Sin. You still think Ifrit is the best Aeon. You still think Belgemine is alive. You haven't played half the game yet. Just leave the thread, or play a game you can beat in 5 hours.

I never got the hate for Tidus. He's a fish out of water, helping the player slowly come to grip with the world, tries to hide his fear and insecurity with over confidence, his father is a literal angel of death, and thanks to Yuna, he manages to keep his spirits up.

I also forgot to mention how much I hate the Cloister of Trials. Especially pic related and the ice place. You also get punched in the face if you want Anima but missed any of those destruction sphere thingies and are as a result forced to redo a trial, or maybe even all of them if you ignored them completely at the time.

At least Zanarkand's was fun to do.

How can you complain about the importance of the characters if you don't even know how they end up?

>Rant on about a game when he even hasn't fucking finished it
Yeah ok bud.
>There are many games that tell a full story and have full character progressions in 15 hours, why can't FFX do that?
Holy shit I don't even know where to start, man. The amount of stupidity in this comment is absurd. Might as well ask why FFX isn't [insert random game here] instead.
And to answer your question; They drop subtle hints for character development, backstory and personality throughout the game, which later gets explained and shown.
Talking to and listening to Maechen for example will add flavor and backstory to Spira,the Crusaders, Yevon and Al Bhed. Same goes for Rin.

and how in the fuck did you use over 10 hours to get to Thunder Plains? Wew lad.
I suggest you replay FFX and this time complete it.

People hate Tidus? Why?

I agree completely with you on what went wrong
I still love FFX though. Sitting comfortable in my chair, grinding FFX all night while drinking Scotch are some of my favorite things to do

The Macalania one wasn't too bad. Bevelle on the other hand, fuck that.
>Realize I needed a sphere on the upper level
>Wait for the thing to reach his destination
>Pilar comes up
>Turn around and push it
>Wait again
>Etc.
Thankfully the destruction sphere in this is obligatory so you never have to redo it. You can't even come back so it makes sense.

Some people can't get past him having daddy issues.

HAHAHAHAHA
I'm guessing that's one of the reasons. Also he's actually somewhat subtle about his emotions. A lot of times he doesn't even explain what he means, just that he understands. This is particularly noticeable when he's doing monologues about Yuna doing what she does for the sake of Spira.

This as well. I replayed it recently and I couldn't remember why Tidus hated Jecht until that scene with his mother. It wasn't even Jecht's fault that his mother didn't pay attention to him.

It's obvious that the pilgramage isn't what everyone says it is.

Maybe the characters are important lore-wise but up to where I played they didn't have many meaningful interactions to evidence it. Note how I said "many", there are a few (especially Auron) but these are very few compared to the actual lenght of the game.

>They drop subtle hints for character development, backstory and personality throughout the game, which later gets explained and shown.

There are also games that drop "subtle hints" throughout its first act while not being braindead in entertainment. The problem isn't whether it's actually a thing that matters but whether it is interesting or not, you can't justify playing a 40 hour game just because the latter 10 or 15 hours are bad.

>and how in the fuck did you use over 10 hours to get to Thunder Plains? Wew lad.

I'm not sure how long I actually played, I remember going through two temples, the reveal that Sin was Tidus's father, a marriage proposoal, speaking with the dead... but I didn't just play two or three hours and said "fuck this game"; I played a pretty significant proportion and I was only engaged when I was on the Sphere Grid.

>I suggest you replay FFX and this time complete it.

Maybe someday when I finish other games I want to play as well. I can't just stop and struggle to slug through a game just because it's a classic when I'm not enjoying it.

Also this is very personal but I fucking hate random encounters, it's a shit mechanic that should have been dropped in the SNES.

Lulu's tits

He didn't hate his father for that. Yeah she worshipped him, but it was when he died that Tidus watched his mother die. That's why he hated him.
It's not really revealed until Bevelle, that the pilgrimage is just another means of control. Hell you don't even really understand the Al Bhed at that point either.

>Cred Forums thinks the sphere grid system is good

Glad to see there's still some taste around here. The only problem with it is that there's no easy way to take in the grid as a big picture and get an idea which branches have which bonuses without having already playing the game and knowing.

I think that's what turned a lot of casuals off who just assumed it was all the same.

FFX bros are best bros. This Game created a generation of happy and chill people, despite its flaws.

The fun part is that at 13 yo i was too distracted to even notice its two major flaws
>hallways
>story
I was just fun

>he died
Presumed dead.

It isn't saying much seeing how many previous installments pulled it off fine as well but at least in X the party still felt like a party. There was actual chemistry between team members and you really got the feeling they were comrades.

12 seriously dropped the ball with this. The flat, dull characters hardly felt close or interested in each other at all.

What I like about FFX is that it actually feels like a pilgramage. All the different locations, characters slowly open up, you see their different perspectives on what's going on, every character goes through some personal challenges of having to defy their established beliefs.
Could the game have been shorter and more straight to the point? Sure. Would it have suffered immensely? Without a doubt. Every character, location, action, theme, lore is arranged into this actually believable world where everything has a reason to be there.

I can respect your opinion. People have different taste, so I can understand why you didn't find FFX to be entertaining.
Hopefully someday you might see FFX in a different light.

>The only problem with it is that there's no easy way to take in the grid as a big picture and get an idea which branches have which bonuses without having already playing the game and knowing.
Yeah, agreed. First time I played it I just branched out wherever, and didn't know characters started out with specific stat "branches" (I realized it later, around Yunalesca lol)

After he was gone, she lost her energy and wasn't the same, yes. But it started with that adoration for Jecht. You never see her with Jecht but also paying attention to Tidus.

This game would have sucked without Auron. His calm cool voice was just comfy to listen to.

All those parts where the party seperates and you talk to each person was bearable thanks to him.

Auron was a surprise for me. I expected him to just be the typical, no nonsense, stoic bland badass but seeing that scene of him younger with Yunalesca, all those spheres of him with Braska and Jecht, the fact that he died trying to find some sense in the whole Final Summoning.

>tfw switching Auron in with another character then suddenly-
>"This ends now."
Fucking loved that shit.

>12 seriously dropped the ball with this. The flat, dull characters hardly felt close or interested in each other at all.

agreed, they were as memorable as the characters from the NES titles
at least those were shorter

>Hopefully someday you might see FFX in a different light.
Thank you, fellow user. I did pick up FFXIII last week after dropping for two years so I might actually pick up FFX some day.

>FFXIII
Been meaning to get back on it as well.
Bought it for Xbox 360 when it first came out, played it for a little while then just stopped completely (can't remember the reason for doing so)
Hopefully they remake/release it on PS4 along with FFVII and FFXII (I liked it, even though the characters and story weren't good)

youtube.com/watch?v=D7J_8IB5i6k

hype, an not much else.

>setting
>boss music
>blitzball
>summons creature design
>handles theme well without going full darkness
Rid the world of your bad taste.

You don´t have to drive off a cliff entirely to see that your car will be trash once it hits the ground.
If the game was trash before that point, how can it be good, even if it is solid gold after?

>A waifu for everyone's different tastes
This is why you people need to be gassed and the series is a joke.

All of the good stuff has already be said a lot. The gameplay in general is really fun. Even the minigames and sidequests are pretty fun for the most part.

Now, the things that suck

>character design

most of the characters look like shit. wakka, seymour and a lot of the background characters are the worst offenders

>story
it isn't that bad until it gets toward the end. it's even more nonsensical than your average FF story.

>difficulty

the game is by far the easiest FF, except for maybe IX.

12 is way way easier if you're just following the story.

Palings exist purely as a cheap way to force the player not to kill most bosses in seconds.

yeah but XII has some of the toughest side bosses in the series, whereas i had no trouble beating any of X's side bosses

Better graphics
Framerate
GRAPHICS
Music
Sphere Grid
Battle System

Bad

Tidus laugh

XII could get hard if you stumbled into a dungeon you weren't ready for (zertinan caverns)

pacing
good story telling
diverse game mechanics