What do you think of Doom II?

What do you think of Doom II?

also Doom thread

I've been playing some Doom 1, it's a shot ton of fun, gonna play Heretic next

Heretic is pretty fun. Elemental crossbow is the shit.

I'm pretty excited to get to it, it's a shame how far FPS have fallen

A lot of really shitty maps so it's kind of a slog to play through. Some great maps though.

Doom 2 is great and I had a pretty good time with multiplayer .wads

>chex

?

Chexen.

bump

>stats are maxed except magic, which doesn't do anything

How come everything about those old Doom games is condensed into the .WAD file? It just feels strange to use zDoom with it, simply transferring the file is already enough for the whole game. I guess if zDoom's folder has all the sprites and shit it works, isn't the .WAD just a map file? Or are the new weapons like the super shotgun also contained in it?

.wad is an archive format kinda like .zip files
it can contain more than just maps
the "authenticity" of something like gzDoom is questionable compared to chocolate Doom or playing in dosbox
Doom feels like a completely different game at 60fps at a high resolution with full mouselook

I recently beat doom3 again, goddamn that game is shit. You only fight 3 enemies at a time.

I'm glad they dropped the horror aesthetic in d44m

>Hear an Archvile aggro somewhere in the distance.

Horrible level design

i hate this contrarian meme

I'd say that half the levels are good enough.
The new enemies were very cool too.

Doom 1 level design was better though.

No man its shit

The new enemies alone justified Doom 2.

I personally prefer Doom 1's level design.

Don't know why the "Doom 2 is bad" meme is so popular here.
You either like Doom 1&2 or you dislike them both, when someone says they like one and dislike the other I think they're full of shit.

Doom 2 was basically a enemy pack and super shotgon addon for modders as far as Im concerned

It's just splitting hairs for people who have had too long to consider their feelings for both. Anyone saying "Doom 2 is shit" is just taking their slight preference too far.

No one said Doom 2 is bad. I said the level design is bad, and its really more like doom 1.5 than doom 2

>No one said Doom 2 is bad.
Plenty have. It seems to be a growing trend actually.

Why does no one talk about Heretic 2? I really liked the weapons in that.

Overshadowed by Hexen I guess

I meant itt

Going against the grain here, doom 2 had overall the better levels. Yeah there some duds for sure, but in doom 1, only the first episode had the good levels. Based Romero.

Anyone here ever played Hacx? It's pretty cool. Has a lot of variety in levels and gives a cyberpunk vibe

Because it was so vastly different from the other three game sin the series that people were put off by it. Which is a shame because it's really good; imagine Jedi Knight but in the Heretic universe.

Unfortunately it came out right after Quake so it was made obsolete by the new 3D tech

I like Quake way more than Doom.

All weapons basically having a super mode with the power tome was fantastic.

Never heard of it before, might give it a try

That is a valid opinion and I respect it. Quake had some amazing environments and atmosphere.

The Tome of Power was definitely a great item. I only wish Hexen had it as that game easily had the best arsenal in the entire series.

I like fucking your mom in the ass more than in the vag

Did any of you play Ancient Aliens?

Does killing flemoids still zorch them, or did they reanimate the death sequence?

>big empty hall full of the same enemies

Great level design

Chex quest was a game for kids. That's why most of the enemies are really basic. Getting overwhelmed by sheer numbers is all flemoids can really do to you. Minus some of the superfast ones.

>I'm going to complain about quality on a game for kids used to advertise a cereal.

Giddy up

I have a love hate relationship with the Super Shotgun, mainly when it comes to community made wads. A lot of people treat it like a normal shotgun, and sometimes include the super shotgun but not the normal. Still when both are included the SS shares ammo with the standard, which is a problem because for the most part the SS is basically a power weapon up there with the likes of the plasma gun and rocket launcher. Sometimes I try to avoid the use of it as much as possible. Still it has it's place and when placed properly on a map it's fun as hell.