Lately I've been seeing more fans of this game pop up...

Lately I've been seeing more fans of this game pop up, not only here on this board but in other places like Sonic forums or youtube comments when I stop and bother to read some, and I have something to ask, if any hardcore fans, maybe this is even someone's favorite Sonic (which is fine, it's a great game and there's a lot of effort and content put in, I respect it), but I have one question to ask: to those whose favorite Sonic game is Unleashed, what age were you when you played it? Keep in mind it came out in November 2008 so its been quite some time, nearing its 10 year anniversary which is hard to believe. Beyond that, this can be a Sonic thread, but if this OP pertains to you, start your reply off with an answer to this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is everyone sonic'd out? Did the news over Mania disappointed a lot of people?

>Lately I've been seeing more fans of this game pop up
On this board at least, it appears to just be one underage grill.

There's not much to discuss regarding Mania that hasn't been discussed into the ground already.

That doesn't make sense nor is it representative of reality because there will be a few posts in any gicven Sonic thread, especially when the time to rate comes in and Unleashed is consistently high up in rank. There was some Mania news 2 days ago that has been sending a small shockwave throughout the community.

For rating, yeah.

For constantly rushing to the defense of the Werehog and shit? It all seems like one user. Could be wrong though, obviously.

As for the Mania news, it's still not much to discuss. More classic Zones than new ones, boo hoo.

>still a large game
>GHZ Act 1 is still the tamest

I don't see zealot tier werehog defending often but did see it a few months ago. Even then its not like it was that bad. I'm conflicted on the news. On one hand yeah they said the old levels are going to be wildly changed around but still...I've seen these levels hundreds of times already. I went ahead and cancelled my CE because that announcement brought me back to reality and I don't think its a $70 tier game anymore.

>I've seen these levels hundreds of times already
Given that we don't know how drastic the changes are, you can't really be sure of that.

You've seen them in name, sure, but who knows what might be changed in terms of layout, visuals, music, etc.

I get that and all but I thought it was going to be a new game with older levels making reappearances as bonus content and bulking up the length, instead of the old levels being the main selling point again like in generations. If there's not at least 7 new levels then I don't know. Might hold off from buying for a while.

Speculation time.

If there's a level from 1, 2, CD, 3, and K, then that's five classic levels. We could then have 4 new levels, and Iizuka's statement would still be true. That'd then be 9 Zones. At 2 Acts a piece.

That'd be an 18 Act game.

Taxman said the game would be longer than Generations, which was also an 18 Act game (9 Zones, 2 Acts each). So it has to be at least 19 Acts. Meaning there's more than one classic Zone per game (on average).

Unless he means by play time. Generations was at least a 2 hour game. 3K wasn't even close to that, I don't think.

Nah, I get where you're coming from. Blame Iizuka for either not being confident in the team's abilities, or for being salty as fuck that people are going to care more about it than his game, prompting him to sabotage ti any way he can.

It could also just mean that they are counting the final zone or whatever as its own level even if its just for a final boss, similar to final zone or doomsday. Sonic 4 used this trickery to, for naming the EGG STATION as its own level even when it was just a boss rush. 3K combined could easily take 2 hours or more for an average playthrough, many levels are padded out or use looping making them go up to 6-9 minutes for an average player.

I bet Iizuka said that because people are more excited for Mania than his game and he's trying to sabotage it, even at the cost of sales or goodwill. He's a mad dog on the loose and Japanese corporate structure allows him to go on untouched. Fucking Iizuka

>3K combined could easily take 2 hours or more for an average playthrough, many levels are padded out or use looping making them go up to 6-9 minutes for an average player.
Shit, that's true.

Holy shit you know what I just realized, I bet it wasn't even a decision by Sega or its executive board. I bet it was literally just iizuka telling whitehead to put in more old levels than new, since he can use his role as producer of all things Sonic to strongarm them

It's my favorite Sonic game and I was 24 when I played it for the first time.

>Lately I've been seeing more fans of this game pop up
It's literally just one guy. He's getting pretty famous here.

I played it when it came out. I was 18 at the time and it is still my favorite sonic game.

I even enjoyed the werehog levels. Only thing I did not like was the sun/moon medal bullshit.

I mean, it could just be Sega thinking "Generations sold and reviewed well, and it revisited old levels...ah! that must it! That's exactly what we must keep doing!"

>it's a great game

...This is literally my first time ever posting about this though

Damn, so you're 26 now, doesn't it feel weird how 2008 seems so long ago? Also lets be honest, the medals never stopped anyone

Maybe that, too, they always swing hard in one direction or the other when it comes to reviews.

This isn't the thread for that bullshit, its objectively a well put together, interesting, and fun game.

Hey, I just youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y wanna say that youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y I absolutely youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y loved Unleashed and youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y it's youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y my youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y favorite Sonic game youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y ever, youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y so underrated, especially youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y the Nighttime youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y Stage youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y Themes. youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y youtube.com/watch?v=zlNa7RQju7Y

>objectively a well put together, interesting, and fun game.
Apparently it is the thread for bullshit.

>its objectively a well put together, interesting, and fun game.
The daytime stages are good, not great, just good, and the nightime stages feel like shovelwere. It's slow, repetitive, and shallow. The day time stages too are shallow but at least they feel like something worth playing.

I was 14.

The graphics blew me a new asshole and the sensation of speed had never felt so real than with this game.

I spent thousands of hours trying to get the best time possible and discovering all the alternative paths and shortcuts.

The Werehog sections were fine thanks to its large catalogue of move but my main gripe had to be the length of the levels.

One level could last 30min, that's fucking insane. Thank fucking God the music helped a lot. This game has the best graphics and soundtrack in the franchise.

Overall, it was an incredibly memorable experience.

Straight up autism, put more effort in posts or no replies for you.

Many say the day stages are the best 3D Sonic content ever made and I would agree with that. Everything that came after for the main modern Sonic boost gameplay has certainly been a downgrade to what Unleashed was. The night stages aren't anything mindblowing but they're standard 3D platformer stuff. I'd wager if its own separate game and from a much more liked/shill developer like Nintendo or Square, the game would get 7/8s. Certainly not 2/10 shovelware or whatever you memers have come up with over the years.

There he is, there he goes again.

>you must shit on what I shit on or you're a drone

Alright then, if going against the hivemind makes me a drone then so be it.

Interesting and fun are subjective, and there is plenty to slight the game for when it comes to how it was put together.

>Many say
ok

>Everything that came after for the main modern Sonic boost gameplay has certainly been a downgrade to what Unleashed was
"Certainly" is a little strong. It's entirely debtable. I know you're going to bring up "muh speedrunning" and "muh graphics", and those are valid things to care more about, but they're far from the only things.

Levels were more open, controls were mapped more logically, customizability was prevalent (both in character loadouts and music during levels), and there were more than just bland "real world" Pixar environments.

>Many say the day stages are the best 3D Sonic content ever made
Weasel words.
> the best 3D Sonic content ever made and I would agree with that. Everything that came after for the main modern Sonic boost gameplay has certainly been a downgrade to what Unleashed was.
This is a meaningless statement. I never suggested that the future games got better. Don't know why you'd bring the franchise up.
>The night stages aren't anything mindblowing but they're standard 3D platformer stuff.
They're noticeably below average. Don't sugar coat it.
>I'd wager if its own separate game and from a much more liked/shill developer like Nintendo or Square, the game would get 7/8s. Certainly not 2/10 shovelware or whatever you memers have come up with over the years.
Oh, jeez, you're bringing brand into this. You're one of *those* people. I don't want to waste any more of my time on this, guys.

It doesn't really matter if the levels are more open. Being more open doesn't translate to them being more fun. Banjo Tooie taught us this 16 years ago. Controls, that's debatable. For how most of the game is played, X being the action button to follow up on a standard move (homing attacking or boosting) makes sense and realistically, this never killed anyone. The loadouts is a good point, that was a good idea, but the music changing feature I never bothered with because it never sounded right with the other sound effects. You bring up bland "real world" environments but they have more character than Generations levels, many of which are either green grassy areas or cities. And yes many, any PC kiddie who could never afford a console but has played the Unleashed mod says the levels are better.

>Banjo Tooie taught us this 16 years ago
And Sonic 3K taught us the opposite 22 years ago.

>X being the action button to follow up on a standard move (homing attacking or boosting) makes sense
Having 2 different abilities being mapped to 2 different buttons makes a lot more sense.

>realistically, this never killed anyone
That's not true.

>they have more character than Generations levels, many of which are either green grassy areas or cities
>character
Not quantifiable. I can just as easily reply with the opposite assertion.

You're ignoring how many of Unleashed's levels were cities as well.

>any PC kiddie who could never afford a console but has played the Unleashed mod says the levels are better
That's anecdotal evidence, not an argument, not quantifiable, etc.

No the medals did not stop me. But they did delay me from going to the next level twice in my playthrough. And having to backtrack in search of the things was not fun.

It feels like the decision was made to take not the safest route, but something really close to taking it. Both Project 2017 and Mania come off like this.

Safest routes would've been Generations 2 and a Taxman port (maybe 3&K with different music or 1 & 2 release on consoles/PC).

Instead, we are seemingly getting Generations 2, but with new original levels instead of remade old ones and a proper Classic game with some new and remade old stages instead of just getting a port of an old game.

I think if both of these do well, we'll see a step further away from being safe and hopefully get an a new classic game with all new stages.

I think the series is going to remain like this until Sega dies honestly. They're not good at reading criticism, so they assume all everyone wants to see and play is classic sonic copied and pasted into the same old environments. There are people who even claimed that the fuckugly lost world, its aesthetics were one of the best things about it. No one seems to understand sonic. They think as simple as possible, rehash as much as possible = it will be good. Anything new has a learned response from the community, to shit on it. Ironically everyone but the fans are getting their dream game

This is my favorite game of all time. It's literally the one game I can always go back to and it puts a smile on my face.

What's funny is when I first got it back in '08 I didn't even finish it until years later because I had a lack of sun medals and I didn't want to redo a bunch of Werehog stages to get them. Turns out I was only 2/3 stages short of finishing.

Unleashed actually grew on me over time instead of me outright loving it. I only sorta liked it back then but after my first full playthrough I really started to love it. I just really love hubs, the music, just overall design and art direction of the game. Favorite boost-style game by far.

That doesn't mean I don't see its flaws. Sure the Werehog was a bit of a fuckup but it was a gamble that Sega/Sonic Team took to extend the game's length and I just really see it as lost potential more than something that should have been taken out. Had another team who's better with action games ie if Platinum or even the Yakuza team handled the combat it would have been great. I actually like the Werehog as a character, he looks cool and is a nice take on Sonic if he was Strength-Based instead of Speed-Based.

The Werehog wasn't the issue, the medal system was.

>any PC kiddie who could never afford a console but has played the Unleashed mod says the levels are better

It's clear that anyone who hasn't played it on console would say that because if they did they would realize how neutered the gameplay is through Gens' engine.

It's clear as day they weren't designed with Gens' physics when you play the mod.

werehog's p cool

I've only played the first 2 Yakuza games and they were really basic gameplay wise. They weren't bad for that but the Werehog had a lot more combo variety than Kiryu did. Platinum was already busy with Infinite Space, Bayonetta, and Vanquish at the time so they weren't available. Interesting how its your all time favorite game though, that's quite an accolade, but there is a lot to love about it. In general, it has a very warm and fuzzy feeling to it, everything just clicks together very well. I can kinda understand why it makes you smile, cause of that warm and happy feeling the game exudes

This too, I hate that mod but for someone who never got the real Unleashed experience, its the best they could hope for. Unleasheds physics are a lot better than Generations imo, not to mention its missing the technical tricks, special effects, and better graphics and lighting that unleashed had

i found a box in my closet a couple days ago with a sealed copy of sonic unleashed for xbox 360 in it
i've never played the game and i'll be honest with you, i'm not about to dig through my miles of cable just to plug in the 360 just so i can try it
i'd rather play the "good" sonic games (or at least the 16 bit ones that i replay every couple months)

I know this is bait but you honestly are better off not playing it if you have that mindset combined with the fact that it's the 360 version.

I runs Werehog stages better than the PS3 version but my god Daytime stages run like ASS on 360.

I played through the game on both platforms for shiggles.

Not even close, the game is way better on the 360. Even if the ps3 one is better in some spots, its not WAY better, not enough to make a difference. I'd say its worse actually cause it has an uncapped framerate and going from 60-20 really fucks you up, plus the dlc is optimized terribly on ps3 and theres random input delays. 360 has none of this and the controller is better

>I'd say its worse actually cause it has an uncapped framerate and going from 60-20 really fucks you up
This is somehow worse than fluttering between the 360's 15-20fps?

>theres random input delays
I actually speedrun the fucking game and that's never happened. Hell the PS3 version is actually the version played at GDQs.

>the controller is better
The most incorrect point of this post.

It is 15-20fps twice in jungle joyride. I have played both version too. The 360 controller alone makes the 360 one better but it also plays better in 99% of areas

Your only argument is a subjective one, a wrong one at that. Wow you sure showed me.

it's not bait, i've been a sonic autist for the last 20 goddamn years
i just never really found the motivation to play unleashed because sonic 06 hurts so bad
i've always wanted to give it a go but nowadays my room is such a disaster that i'd probably spend longer setting the 360 up than i would spend playing the game
i'd probably just end up playing dead rising or something

Whys your room so fucked up bro?

Its not just unleashed it affected mind you, generations on PS3 also has a more washed out look and the same input delay that unleashed ps3 had. On the topic of generations, the 360 one actually seems to "play" the best. Having played all 3, random input delays, sometimes not even reading at all, seem to plague the pc and ps3 versions, but the xbox one plays the best and rarely, if ever, has this problem. I cant recall it on 360 but can many times on ps3/pc. That gen is over, come on bro. Its ok to say the 360 was better than the ps3 now

If any thing Mania drove a wedge between Old fans and moden sonic fans.
Modern sonic fans hate it because it's not from their adventure and forward genre. Old fans are stoked because it looks good and no more retarded sonic friends just the basic sonic knuckles and tails.

I dont think its that. modern sonic fans hate that more rehashed content is being made and the issue seems to be split between damage control and acceptance from old fans. Modern fans also, understandably, feel like theyre never going to get a new modern 3D game because the sonic team games always incoporate some type of nostalgia milking. Last time it was lost world, now its back to classic sonic stealing the spotlight again and making the new "3D" game yet another 2D one

I played it when it first came out, I was around 13. Fucking loved it. I first got it on PS2 cause I was a poor fag, beat it 100%. Then A couple years later I got a 360 and got it for that. Never got around to beating it, but hot damn. That was the better version. I doubt it is, but is it backwards compatible on Xbone? I want to go back and play it again.

i kept it clean for a while but i sprained my ankle really bad and after being a cripple for a week i stopped giving a shit
my roommates don't care at all which is nice but my room is still the apocalypse

Its not BC on xbox one, but Sega has been very supportive of the BC function so its only a matter of time I feel like. in the last few weeks alone they added virtua fighter 5, bayonetta, and castle of illusion, plus all the old sonics are up if you wanted to play those. Just give it a few more weeks or months and I bet unleashed and generations will be BC, don't forgot to vote on the xbox site if you want that

Be a good cripple and crawl around and clean that shit...alternatively why dont your friends pick some shit up if your foot is fucked up