EDF

EDF 4.1
>2,ooo player average in July
>7oo player average in September
>$35 USD on Humble Bundle
I don't want to get it if the community is just going to die off.
What do you think?

There's no way that it is worth that much. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, just buy the PS4 or PS3 versions instead.

Most of the game requires grinding missions for random weapon drops.

>o's instead of 0's
what the fuck

The game is surprisingly fun even solo

But the best way to play it is with a few closer friends

The game is fun even as a singleplayer title. Go for it.
I can play with you if you want

I think it's fun but it gets repetitive pretty quickly.

Randomized weapon drops don't really fit for this game I think. I'd rather have a leveling system where you unlock new ones as you progress.

>OP
I have the ps3 version. Is it even worth upgrading? Aside from the obvious frame rate?

Not really. You can get decent-to-good weapons fairly quick instead of being forced to, I don't know, kill 2000 ants first.

Not OP, but no. I made that mistake.

The biggest change is that weapon drops are now class specific (which greatly speeds up farming) but you have to start from scratch with every class, but once a level is unlocked, it's unlocked for all classes.

You can get weapons that completely trivialize the next x maps or you can get shafted and be stuck with shitty/outdated ones.

Grinding armor is also pretty fucking atrocious.

EDF isn't really an online multiplayer game. Splitscreen works better for the most part

Huh, interesting. Eh, I'll pass then. I was having fun with the, wing diver?, still stuck on the first huge robot boss level

>EDF 4.1
How is compared to insect armageddon?
not saying armageddon is good it's just the only EDF I ever played

Significantly better. IA was the black sheep and not a representative of the series. except for the whole shoot hordes of bugs and robots thing

It's probably the shittiest EDF game.
The only thing worth (expect shooting shit everywhere) is the design of the armor and enemies.

4.1 is pretty great.

TO SAVE OUR MOTHER EARTH FROM ANY ALIEN ATTACK

>No one replies, everyone is too busy blasting insects

>2,ooo
>7oo
I didn't know this was something people actually did. I hope there is a special hell just for people like you

Why are so many japanese games like that?

The whole focus on grinding to get better weapons and shit, almost MMORPG esque.

He's is full of shit.
You can do a couple of mission 2 runs on hardest into inferno and get all the weapons you need to last you in multiplayer on HARD.
Then there are always dedicated farming rooms where 5 rounds is enough to get you most of the good weapons for your class.
I've only really "farmed" for one weapon and even then I got it after 10 runs.

i stopped playing online after getting matched with cheaters every day, not fun when 1 guy kills everything in your view with 1 shot

I can always find a match OP.
I'm pretty sure thanks to the extremely obsessive japanese players you will forever be able to.

>tfw every jap is like 50%+ in completion
scary

If you have friends to play it with its golden.
If you play online its good if you are into the game
If you buy it to play alone its meh, but if you are into it it can still be fun, also balls to the walls hard so if you are into challange then solo is that.

>Most of the game requires grinding missions for random weapon drops.

Most of the game IS "grinding" missions for weapon drops.
PS3 version is dogshit, and honestly I doubt there are more players on PS4 than PC right now.

Because they enjoy playing? Instead of just wanting to be finished with a game ASAP like some well-conditioned consumerdrone.

To begin with if you REALLY don't want to ever "grind" (which is the exact same gameplay as just playing) you can download cheat engine and get your fix for your impatient ass.

I haven't seen a cheater on steam, only when using a pirated copy.

>Download game
>Play 7 hours alone
>Look online
>Group play the first mission on normal
>Icandothis.jpeg
>Join group
>"Ah it's a fuggin scrub"
>kicked

Is it worth for the solo only?

I have a lot of trouble believing this happened.

Normal is literally easy mode in this game, you can probably beat the entire thing with the lvl0 weapons.

>That mission with the multiple Balams and you're on the ground
Holy shit that was a better setpiece than anything in the AAA gaming market has done in the last ten years.

Personally, I don't think it is. It's still fairly easy to find a room in MP.

You would think the EDF would break out nukes at some point.

when people call something "grinding" it is because it is a repetitive thing and not really satisfying

It did actually happen.

Maybe ten yearrs ago.
People now call everything grinding where you kill things for loot drops.
Apparently its only not grinding if you get a cinematic scene every 10 minutes progressing some asanine story.
The game is literally 100 missions of mowing down the incoming enemies - nothing, nothing less. So its either all grinding, or they are using the term wrong.

Well then console yourself with the fact that it was a group of people playing on fucking normal mission 1, IE bad players or beginners just like you.

Now be a man and start playing on Hard, at the very least the japanese will always be willing to play with you.

>Is it worth for the solo only?
Yeah, if you are into mindless shooting. The core gameplay loop is a lot of fun, blowing shit up is very cathartic, there is a very long campaing and majority of the classes and weapons do not require coop partners.
I'd compare it to more clunky, but also more destructive and larger-scale Serious Sam that also offers mechs and jetpack action.

>Why are so many japanese games like that?
Except it's not. You don't actually need to grind anything: the weapon drops are ballanced with the difficulty meaning that you'll get exactly the type of tools you need to push through the campaign without ever needing to grind up anything, really. The whole loot and drop system is a bit annoying, because it triggers the instinct for scouring the battlefield and trying to collect as many crates as possible, but you never really NEED to do any of that: I never once had to replay missions or grind and while the game is challenging, it definitely does not set a progression wall at any point.

Just play the campaign missions one after another and you are good to go - infact, "grinding" actually can break the game and give you access to overpowered weapons, fucking up the difficulty curve.

>mfw I just learned the next upgrade 30mm gallic heavy is at lvl70

God I hate the fencer.
All I wanna do is play it but at every turn its gimped

There are some annoying fucks on the US/EU servers you run into from time to time.
Especially if they are playing with a friend.
They'll kick you for anything: playing a class they don't like, choosing weapons they think are "shit", making room for their faggot friend etc. It's very rare though and doesn't happen very often.
Or you can play with Japs. Much better players in exchange for not speaking a single word of English and sometimes disabling chat altogether.

Get good with a mortars, it can be used to the same effect but has splash damage.

Yeah, and thus a fuckton more dangerous to yourself. Love that
>random flying insect part whips in front of your shot in the last second

I just love the cannon, because it is reliable and feels amazing to use well, guess they couldn't let a fencer enjoy himself at any part of the game.

More like get good with handguns. The higher difficulty I go online the more explosive weapons become shit enemy scattering tools with bonus friendly fire potential.

I like piercing way better.

Well yeah, it seems its hand cannons from here to...the middle/end of Hardest difficulty, or something...thanks for the variety sandlot

NCXXX cannons deal much more dps if you have 2 of the equipped.

No, EDF definitely has the textbook definition of grinding, repeating the same missions over and over again. Weapon drops aren't actually that bad, but if you want to play on higher difficulties than Hard every single enemy one-shots you out of full HP unless you've spent a good while grinding armor on lower difficulties. That's not even the worst part, you actually have to grind armor separately for all four characters, and since higher difficulties don't affect armor drop rates the best way to do it is to play the few same missions on Easy.

It's ludicrous how easy it is to acquire difficulty level capped weapons, but the armor cap is in the thousands.

I know, he hasnt got those, I was offering an alternative.
>used to the same effect
As in, high damage at long range. Also is there any news on the new EDF loot system? At least you can sprint now, so collecting boxes wont be such a nuisance.

True - but this really applies to the highest difficulties only. I've put in 100 hours and completed the game on HARD with 2 characters, I doubt the average buyer will even go farther than this.

Also - glory to cheat engine, you CAN skip all that shitty armor farming if you want to.

I do actually, its not that I don't have better weapons, I'm just lamenting the fact that we are given 3 gallic heavy weapons from lvl 1 to 33, and then get the next two at 70 and 82, so theres this huge hole where you cannot use these without being totally underpowered.

I just wanted to use them more, but apparently not until I'm beating shit that drops lvl70 stuff..

I hate weird shit like that.

Plus anyone remember Fencers Powerdyne weapon? Yeah me neither. A weapon type with a unique model once at lv 2 and NEVER AGAIN. It's not even a DLC weapon.

>Also - glory to cheat engine, you CAN skip all that shitty armor farming if you want to.
Not that anom, but wait, are you recommending cheating to skip gameplay? I mean that's pretty fucked up if you have to go that far to avoid the bad parts of a game.

>no reload weapons
fuck them with a rake

FROM VICIOUS GIANT INSECTS WHO HAVE ONCE AGAIN COME BACK

>fire a few shots and swap weapon
Only really viable with ranger ones though, as they can equip another all rounder weapon. I like to use stringer rifles and an automatic no-reload weapon for when enemies get too close or something needs to be killed very quickly. Just swap weapon to stop shooting.

You don't have to, the gameplay we are talking about here is an absolute insane level of "expanded replayability".
To 100% this game you need like 10k+ hours in it because you have to level up the armor/hp of 4 classes one by one to then beat them through 6 different difficulty settings - TWICE for both online and offline.

The average player will never ever need to grind - in fact if they do it they'll get overpowered shit insanely easily.
For the obsessive who'll attempt what I described above - the grinding is pretty much expected, no?

>try out Wing Diver after doing the first ten or so missions as Ranger
>feels really weak with the reliance on jetpack fuel
>considering switching back to Ranger
>get the Laser Chainsaw

Boi you must not know about the Disruptors.

You can dash in as fencer, switch to those and erase multiple nests and dropships (Distance from ground depending / weapon level) faster than anyone else can.

Different weapons change the perspection of classes entirely.

Theyre good if its a short level, but for maps when lots of enemies spawn you dont want to be using something like that on trash. Pretty fun though on account of just how staggeringly strong they are.

I have a massive problem going back to ranger after I've played about 20 missions as the Wing Diver. I just miss the mobility...

Also, Wing Divers are just OP AS FUCK. Like seriously, level 12 Wing Diver can fucking BREEZE through shit that is a struggle with the same level Ranger and nearly impossible for the same level lone Fencer. It's just insane.

The game goes to extreme lengths to explain how Fencers are specifically good at things like taking down Shield-Bearers and shit, but that is SO MUCH bullshit. The first mission you get sent towards Shield-Bearers in the campaign, I've managed to fucking kill all the Shield Bearers BEFORE THE FUCKING AIR RAID started, and then just watched and laughed as the entire Hector force get's bombed to oblivion.
And the fucking underground missions? Fucking joke as wing divers on normal.

>tfw no upgraded version

Why do they hate us so much? It certainly better than the 22 absolutely useless particle cannons.

Not seeing where I would have to use them on trash ever, I would bring them out on missions where killing spawners fast is vital.

Fencer has 4 weapon slots and for missions like this I would probably bring a Blasthole Spear and a Handcannon on the other set for both long range and dashing potential.

>Those Motorcycle and Helicopter controls

>3rd time running into eringus
>finally get a balam out to fight it
>lady commander saying how to fight it in high tech mumbo jumbo
>dude commander "Just punch him in the face!"

>get another weapon that uses the laser chainsaw model
>it's a really weak 8 way horizontal laser weapon
The description was kind of funny at least

Should be sold at 20$ MAX. Every other games from this serie could be bought at 15$ on consoles...

Yea the problem I think with these games is the price mainly, it turns people away when they see a game theyve never heard of from a developer theyve never bought a game from but its the same price as other games they would buy. Make these cheaper and I guarantee more people will be at least willing to try them. I mean I didnt even try it till it was on sale on PS4, it was just a stupid price for what I knew it was, imagine how people who have no idea what it was were seeing.

Friend of mine desribed it pretty aptly.
Its a retail game that looks and plays like a F2P game, but is actually good.

I do think 50 bucks is on the high end, but it's on sale on the humble store for 35. The ps4 version that came out December last year is still 25 bucks on amazon.

My friend came over with 2025 one day a few years ago and we played co-op for a while. I saw 4.1 was coming to steam and bought it without a second thought. Honestly I wouldn't have minded paying $50 for it since I already knew what I was getting into but being on sale for the first week was a pretty good move. Though if I hadn't played any other entry at all before I would have been a lot more reluctant to get it even at that lower price. Really don't know why demos aren't more common.

They are the EZ mode class for sure, lasers become much more OP once you can aim with a mouse instead of a controller.

But they do kind of run out of power by the end of HARD, while the ranger gets incrementally stronger. By the last 10 missions my friends were bitching and whining, while I still did fine both as fencer and ranger

Personally I thinkWD may be strong, but it doesnt feel as good as the insane firepower of the ranger or the fast/risky action on fencer

Same, played with a friend before, found the game to be great just completely shit on the PS3.
I'd have bought it for full price too.

Going back to 2 on my vita now

Going through hardest solo now since I already beat all of norm and hard

These under ground missions are insane

Thank god for ricocheting bound guns

It also really helped having a friend that way hyped for it too. I linked her to the steamdb link that was going around here a while back and they said "Count me in!" when I mentioned I was definitely picking it up. Currently going through hardest, been having a blast.

What are your favorite specific weapons in EDF?

The Five Star is mine.

Do you not have friends to play with?

It's a great game op

Sadly my friends are kikes who don't spend money, luckily the game is entirely playable on pirate version too, too be I had to progress two different savefiles though.

>Sadly my friends are kikes who don't spend money
My brother is the same way. Always wants to play co op games and I suggest stuff but he always waits for them to be on a big sale, like $20 and under.

If anything seems impossible for Fencer you are playing it wrong.

And I'd actually say Wing Diver is the easiest class to start with and not Ranger for beginners because of their mobility means (especially in lower difficulties) in the case of if you fucked up your positioning you can easily get out.

The higher difficulty you go the more you'll probably see they are not as overpowered as you first thought.

Any Idunn on Wing Diver.

Well its how its always been here in shitty 3rd world, when we were younger it just came as matter of fact that we'll pirate it and play only pirated versions of games.

But I cba to wait for sales which are never coming anymore, and since I buy like 1 AAA title every 3 years these days I think its ok.

What are the best "Pierce" weapons? I.e. goes though multiple targets.

Lysanders and Stringers, satisfying and with good results, oddly enough, the Ranger is not my favorite class though, prefer the fencers gameplay.

>The higher difficulty you go the more you'll probably see they are not as overpowered as you first thought.
And then you get a Master Rapier

Ah that sucks. My brother is just frugal.

Epsilon armored railguns on air raider. I guess idunn on wing diver. Haven't played enough ranger or fencer to say anything.