en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_science_in_the_Middle_Ages
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology
youtube.com/watch?v=_bAbuYYfyC4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_of_Westmarch
youtube.com/watch?v=VUFD1uRCGpQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Darkages bro,do you even history? blackhole of technology

They keep destroying civilization

Because every 100 or so years there's a world threatening disaster which kills millions of people

Sounds right to me

And magic makes technology less necessary.

Because not every writer is a theoretical anthropologist.
It's pretty annoying in post apocalyptic games. How the fuck do the roads still have paint on them? Roads need repainting every 2 years while it's already been 60

Why should I invent a microwave when I can just use magic to heat up my porridge?

Fact is magic is just a hindrance on mankind. It makes things too easy and promotes laziness

Magic.

>implying magic cannot evolve in its practical application

they need repainting due to wear from wheels
the paint stays much longer (although it'd be more flakey than it is in most games) when there's no cars

2nd era is actually more advanced than 3rd or 4th

skyrim is post apocalyptic when compared to the scale of cities and shenanigans of tes 1 and 2

Then what about settings where magic is extremely rare or even forbidden?
Yeah sure with a couple years of training you can cast a fireball but how exactly does that make cars or guns less usefull?

The guy who wrote Ender's Game explicitely states that writers should write about shit that they know more about than it is conceived in their work. Guess most writers are shit nowadays

Have you never taken a history course? Pretty much nothing happened as far as technology goes during the Dark Ages.

>Much longer
Literally end your miserable life.

Imagine the reason magic is forbidden. It takes one chicklefuck with a meteor to reset the world, much less a city with someone who could actually do science.

It was called the dark age for a reason

But they went from iron to steel swords. In another 500 years theyll probably have early firearms.

not true

>1000 years
>roughly no gdp/capita increase

These didn't hinder technological developement, quite the opposite, as they allowed capital accumulation due to inheritance effects and larger social mobility due to changes in land/labour ratio.

>meanwhile, people shit on FFXV for being a setting where the world used to be generic fantasy, but people actually developed technology over time, bringing them to modern day standards while still having fantasy stuff in the background

Did you?

How about the much much more common

"Year 1 has far more advanced technology than year 1000"

>darkages
>High Fantasy setting
Does Cred Forums think orks are historical creatures?

People shit on that?
That's like the one interesting thing about the game
I've been waiting for shit like that since forever

Is there a lore reason why in TES your avatar can literally specialize in ANYTHING and be god-tier at it? I mean, the Dragonborn is obviously special but the Hero of Kvatch wasn't right?

>before year 1 there were usually robots and shit

Even better

Magic.

Why develope a car when you can use levetation or teleportation spells.

Why invent firearms when you have people who can shoot fire out of their arms.

It was called the Dark Ages because of the intellectual "darkness" that happened during the course of the time, are you guys retarded?

What if all magic is just more pracitcal things, rather than the big shit most fantasy stories use?
Stuff like a spell to create light so one can see in the dark, or a spell to keep meals perfectly warm even after leaving the kitchen? Practicality is something often not explored when it comes to magic. People just want to see explosions and lightning coming out of fingers and shit like that.

>world where fast reloading guns exists
>sword fags still think they can compete

Name one high fantasy series with lore spanning +1000 years where magic is something rare or prohibited

>It was called

no it wasn't

that's just a meme that was created afterwards

Yeah, lots of cries of 'this doesn't look like final fantasy', or 'where's the fantasy?', and where are the knights, and castles, etc.

>ad 400 had more advanced technologies than 1400
HOW

Also China had little to know technological progress in almost 4k years, so I highly doubt this is a fantasy thing

game?

>it's a protagonist blocks a round of bullets with his katana episode

>world where magic exists
>implies that you can't just lift and be stronk as fuck as well as good at magic

Why would anyone NOT use magic except some conservatard "hurr its evil" shit?

> Wheelbarrow
> Most of modern masonry and carpentry tools
> Heavy plow
> Double bookkeeping
> Grisham's law
> Heavy plow
> Two/Three field system
> Animal harnesses that quadrupled the efficiency of drafting

That would actually make for a really good plot.

>Why develope a car when you can use levetation or teleportation spells.
why do they have horses and carriages then?
>Why invent firearms when you have people who can shoot fire out of their arms
why do they have arrows or heck any sort of non magic weapons then?

Your """logic""" makes literally 0 sense

It's called the dark ages because clear historical records of the period are harder to find than other eras you fuck wit.

yeah, sounds silly doesn't it?

It's a popular fan theory for the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones)

All the TES MCs are special except maybe the one from arena, the Hero Kvatch was a reincarnation of Pelinal Whitestrake. The mass murdering cyborg that won the human rebellion and drove the Aylids into near extinction

They're all the avatars or reincarnations of a variety of god-like beings.

Why invent clothing when you can have a magical bear pelt. It doesn't work like that. People who can't do magic probably want to shoot fire out of their arms too. And the clever ones will come up with a technical solution.

>mass murdering cyborg

nigga what

Is this somehow related to all that lore I see in TES threads about space ships and fucking alternate realities and shit?

Orson Scott Card is a literary genius, writers should listen to him.

Yeah, the vast majority of writers now are utter shit, but so are the readers. There's a reason trash like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey are popular.

Because history is not inherently progressive, either socially or technologically, you fucking liberal.

Also historians don't even call it dark ages anymore, the proper name is early middle age

Why improve technology when you have magic? Dragon age inquisition actually had a pretty interesting codex entry on how seige weapons have basically been the same for 1000 years because everyone mostly uses mages as seige weapons. Its why until the chantry brought the mages into the fighting the Qunari were on a roll and took over a good chunk of thedas. When you can have someone wiggle their fingers and blow up a mountain why figure out how to do it yourself with dynamite? Dwarves are the only other people in dragon age that aren't completely technologically stagnant and that's because they can't use magic.

most historians dont actually use the term "the dark ages" anymore because of the exact thing you are talking about not being historically accurate at all.

because niggers like you get upset at every use of dark or black

Yes, I think Pelinal was also a time traveler but I'm not sure.

But yeah TES lore is pretty fucking nuts when you go deep into it. Specially the shit written by Kirkbride

the slow blade penetrates the shield

Check the mayans, or pretty much any society which is isolated
They never fucking evolve. The only real reason we had technological advancements is due cultural exchange in the middle east during most of history.
Even when the europeans got to north america, the natives started using horses and firearms and shit, adapting the technology and creating their own terms with it.
Innovations only ever happen due necessity and 'I want that which I don't have' mentality.
In fantasy works it's pretty much possible to have stagnation in society due to everyone knowing everything about the other nations and shit.

Because magic. If all progress is due to some sort of intangible force which everyone relies on, but nobody understands it can disappear or fade or be forgotten or vilified at the author's convenience.

>the best items in the game are "Ancient"

Because it was an old term when there was literally no known records of it
We do have a few now, mostly archeological because no rome = no writing
Dumb fucking barbarians

Do you think Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn is good?

There is technology in TES just go look at the Dwemer for an example you retard

No, it's actually because it promotes the myth that humanity didn't make any advancement during that time.

feudal japan is also another good example.

people often try to compare the medieval knight to a samurai, but what they often dont realise is japan was stuck in a medieval age right up until american steamships rolled up full of soldiers with rifles.

>Dwemer ruins everywhere
>Make 0 impact in the technology of the society

It's even worse, user

Europe didn't afaik. Or maybe minor advancements in herbology and beer brewing.

I haven't read it. I'm generally not much of a fan of fantasy. I usually lean towards Science Fiction.

>right up until american steamships rolled up full of soldiers with rifles
How uninformed can one person be?
Japan started trading with other nations back in the 1600s due to based William Adams the gaijin samurai. They started using firearms soon after that.

Exactly, japan is a great example.
You can see little difference in art and architecture for a few hundred years when in europe everything changed fast right at the start of the grand navigations because cultural impact.

Throughout the entirety of history of tamriel it's either been war, daedric invasions, akivir invasions, or massive plagues so there is very little time to invest in technological advancement

>Genarations of lore
>Shit only happened in like two different years.

People used katanas up until the 19th century dude

Actually, portuguese and english had extense contact with Japan

That doesn't detract from the fact Japan was, until around the 20th centruy, very set in their olden ways. They refused to become fully modern like the civilized countries.
Hell, even today, they're still kinda backwards with some of their shit.

Firearms were used in japan since the XVI century baka gaijin

So what katanas were used up till the 19th century?
Cavalry and sabers were used in europe till the fucking 19th century too you retard

And? That doesn't mean it was the main form of weapons. Katanas were never the main form of weaponry and were always the back up for longer ranged weapons like bows.

But user, war means A FUCKING LOT of technolgy improvements and innovation

The fact is that Dwemer tech is so esoteric that few people actually understand how it works or how to replicate it.

Also Dwemer tech is also mostly magic.

I love me some mistborn. That story had a really good explanation of why technology has never advanced. 'God' doesn't allow it. That's all it needed.

Yeah I know. They don't even let your wife's son get three way married to his girlfriend and her black friend Jamal

Why are there no settings where magic has created industry and technology? Seems like a wasted opportunity.

No, because renaissance historians wanted their era to be more ~~special~~

Technological advancement continued under the Catholic Church who went through immense efforts in finding and safekeeping the lost works of Socrates, Plato and what not.

Thomas Aquinas, Albertus Magnus and Augustine of Hippo worked their asses off so that future generations could profit from their knowledge while the rest of Europe played being kangs and were knee deep in pig shit

I figure in a universe with TES magic they wouldn't invest in more tech, just invest in more magic.
After all a musket isn't going to stop Daedra from invading your plane of existence.

What always baffled me is that people lived like shit in the Dark Ages well into the Rennaisance, fucking Louis the XIV a bloody monarch living in his own shit some castles didn't even have toilets, fucking poo in loo indians had a better sense of sanitation than european aristocraty and they didn't even care about all the diseases everyone had. People back then would've at best laughed at you and at worst burned you on a stake that invisible thingies everywhere can cause a fuckton of diseases and a fucking good cure against it would be not living a life being dirtier than an animal

Pelinal was a time traveler. He's got the whole Lorkhan thing going on with an artificial heart. Hung out with his cousin Morihaus, who was the father of minotaurs. What era he originates in is probably further than ours, but he definitely spent time in the 2nd Era, as he constantly screams about Reman Cyrodil, despite most of his known exploits taking place during the formation of the Alessian Empire and the slaughter of the Ayleids.

Difficult to gleam that from his brief appearance in Knights of the Nine, but most of it is in the in-game books.

>Africa went down
Nice

They would hinder tech if there is a guild system of some sort.
Capital change isn't worth shit if the knowledge hoarding masters of the trades is dead.
>Be Master smith
>Undertrain apprentice
>Literally take all your secrets into the grave
>Said secrets only get uncovered once PHD students in 1970s start examining the metallurgy of mastework weapons and armor

Aren't there a lot of JRPGs with what's basically magitech? Final Fantasy VI, Xenoblade, Phantasy Star Online, etc. It's only rare in western fiction.

You're right, wherever you live is a shitty place. Sucks for you.

I always told myself it was the Daedra fucking with things, because the Dwarfs had crazy tech and then they disappeared. I mean the real reason is so they can keep a consistent style of gameplay with a new story and make the choices of the previous game very distorted or insignificant so the new player doesnt have to be bogged down by things they may have never done. Or theyre just lazy fuck it what do i know.

The dark ages didn't exist.

This always trips me up.

Unless you go through Stone ages levels of shit, but even then the lore would be realistically hard to get by, because as soon as writing systems (together with other things like agriculture and domestication) are invented or discovered, technology starts to spring up bit by bit, meaning that having all that lore is only realistic up to about 3 to 4 thousand years of history.

The only way it makes sense is to have some periodic cleansing of civilization by whatever means to set them back another couple thousands, leaving you with another "Ancient civilization shit" trope around.

I feel like I have thought the same thing but after experiencing it, I just can't remember exactly what gaem
I know there are some jrpgs where you deal in magic stones and shit flies everywhere but that isn't really comparable to the industrial revolution or anything
Avatar might qualify, shame they can't make any games without having to put half the devtime into figuring out how not to break canon since they can't fucking figure out that the world is the most interesting part and playing as ms mary sue instead of some rando is actually detrimental

Dwemer were sone hardcore atheists though.
They knew that Aedra/Daedra existed (they knew were magic came from and knew about the Daedra roaming the lands before the first era) but they still outright refused their existence.
It also amazes me that they did not construct any form of transportation or information gathering. Yeah I know that magic can compensate those things but you can't tell me that every single dwarf was proficient in magic. I mean in Morrowind it took the combined forces of Chimer/Dunmer and Dwemer to drive out the Nords.

But knights and castles are still in the game.
What the fuck are they are shitposting about?

Please read up on the South Amercan empires. They had MASSIVE tech advancement.
What is even more hillarious is that if they had driven the Spaniards away, they would have tried for some extreme tech jumps.

Because your pop is too low and it'll take longer to gain a tech.

At least we don't have to share our wives with niggers like you user.

As if any women would love you

and yet they were still centuries behind in their technology compared to the rest of the world.

they traded for muskets and produced some similar knock off peices, but then for years and years afterwards made no improvements or advancements in this technology, many refused to even adopt the technology outright because until english traders showed up, trading with the portugese also meant converting to christianity with both spanish catholics and portugese jesuits trying to get in on the action, when the english (who were at war with both of the above) showed up, they started trading muskets without the need for conversion.

still doesnt alter my point though, when admiral perry rolled up in his fleet, from the japanese point of view he might as well have beamed down from the starship enterprise.

welcome to religious dogmatic hegemony.

JRPGs are filled with it.
Might & Magic was set in a post Sol migration setting, where the tech and magic level was extreme.
Tolkien as Numenorians basically doing this, and the same with the early age elves.
Even fucking D&D has it, especially Spellbinder.

Its just that a lot of Fantasy tries to be Conan, and not Elric of Melibone
Or D&D Sword Coast, not D&D Spellbinder

>implying

Plenty of native central American cultures had superior architectural and hydroenginneering abilities compared to Europe

read any first hand account from conquistadors who participated in the conquest in mexico and you'll see them describe aztec cities as completely BTFO-ing anything in europe at the time.

It's not that the americas were less advanced, it's that they took a parallel path due to having different natural resources and environments and were isolated from eurasiafrica.

The thing with TES is that you have societies that don't like magic and yet don't evolve.

Take Skyrim for example, they have just one college for mages and people there dislike the use of magic, nords should be focusing on tech like crazy to keep up with the rest of the continent, but no, they have a bunch of mills and that's it.

People don't seem to get that in the past 100-200 years we've seen more technological advances that in previous thousands.

It took a long, LONG time for new technologies to arise, be adopted, propagate, and change shit back then. Sure, a lot of fantasy and sci-fi universes don't really have the excuse, but it's not entirely unrealistic in certain situations.

Dwemer or whatever have machines and robots.

Gone for like 1000+ years.

Currently everyone has shit swords and shield.

I'm no loremaster, but I'm pretty sure it played out like that. Ancientalienish

Or TES just went through a technological regression because the races of mer and men decided to fuck with things beyond their ken. Then proceeded to get buttfucked until they were hardly a threat to anything bigger than themselves. Manlets thinking themselves out of existence was them saying "Fuck this"

Blame the Church for that shit

Nope, they described Tenochtitlan as having a huge population which blew them away, but it was less advanced than Rome 2000 years prior

TES is one of those settings where the disconnect between lore, gameplay and game presentation is so mind boggling huge, i don't think i can find any parallel to it.

Its weird.
And most likely it will never get a cool spin off where you get to use super space ships, or fight Audiuin as he is suppose to be.

Even Church was responsible of some advancements, like astronomy or architecture

Nope, Christians & Muslims hoarded Ancient Greek/Roman writings & translated them

Thank religion for us being as advanced as we are now

user, plumbing, water flow, public works, and all that shit is tech.
And without it, population centers isn't possible.

Aztec tech was pretty great. They could even go right on to forging steel if they had realized they had the technology.

>6000 BCE
>1000 BCE
>relatively same level of technology

HOW?

Yeah nah, I hate this meme. The Church pretty much caused the dark ages.

>beginning of Roman Empire
>end of Roman Empire
>same relative level of technology

HOW?

The Dark Ages (referring to the middle ages) is a misnomer that most (if not all) historians don't use. The idea that the downfall of Rome led to an intellectual/technological dark period just isn't accurate. The RC church didn't suppress science like people like to pretend, and the Islamic world was doing hella math and science

>caused
t.Visigoths and corrupt Roman senators

They had knowledge of ironclads and warships, they had extensive trading with the Dutch who enabled them to somewhat keep up with Europe and be lights ahead of any other country in Asia.

Meiji would have not been able to transform the country from an agrarian society to a heavily industrialized one under just one generation if Japan was still stuck in medieval times mate.

How is that mass-produced country turning out for you Mao?

Surely you have your own Sistine Chapel from your flawless ideology right?

>high fantasy setting
>it's just nordshit

>I mean in Morrowind it took the combined forces of Chimer/Dunmer and Dwemer to drive out the Nords.

Because when that lore was written, dragon shouting and Tongues weren't some rare fucking thing, but relatively common.

>The Church
>Not the Germanic pagans and Muslim armies which destroyed the Western Roman Empire along with nearly all order and technology that the Byzantines weren't able to recover
Nice meme faggot. The only people who preserved anything after Rome fell was the Church and the only reason the Dark Ages ended was because Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by the pope in 800.

Breh the human race was stuck in perpetual feudal age AT BEST until Europeans philosophers invented the scientific method.
No European culture = no science = little to no technological advance.

People bitch about the characters and gameplay not the setting.

>The Euro fucker shows up in Jade Empire

There are some nice books about it. Pretty much actual big civilizatio shit happened with Rome, Poo in Loos, and China first, and a bit later in Mexico and South America with the Incas.

But all of them were well on their way to the same things, it just so happened that different shit occurred in Eurasia than in America.

>TFW

I'm from south America and that's a meme, those niggers didn't even have a writting system, their technology is highly overrated and romanticized by europhobic revisionism and anti western sentiment.

In LOTR only the Maiar can do magic, mortal races and Elves can't meddle with it

>Irish monk

The poor bastard was doomed to misery on Earth and in heaven.

>high fantasy setting

>same derivative civilization tropes that imitate medieval European civilization
>no actual fantasy elements other than fictional races and a few magic spells
>everybody speaks in a British accent
>currency is gold

Dune gets a pass because there was a logical explanation for it

Grade: F

Do more research, see me after class

But LOTR is not a videogame series.

1. From a cultural standpoint, writing system tends to be rare. But since they are so beneficial to the future generations, they are generally found in cultures that do better over time

2. They tech was fine. Their ability to do good strategy for warfare wasn't, and the biggest losses was those where the Aztec decided to do the worst decisions possible.
I.e Open field battle against War Horses
Having so much internal dissent that the Spaniards had allies

3. Cortez was a cool dude

4. In the end, they crops was more amazing than their tech. But since a lot of their civilizations collapses post plague, its hard to export that lost tech

remember that the europeans did drain the entire god damn lake just to fuck with what was left of the aztecs

>The church keeps knowledge in hiding because it may cause heresy
>WE WUZ JUST PROTECTING IT WE DINDU ANYTHING
Fuck off m8

Atleast you had natives that lived in places other than mud huts

Yeah I don't like that, any good fantasy setting needs a good explanation for it.

The proof lies in history. Religion is poison.

>6000 BCE
>Neolithic
>Agriculture just starting to spread around the world
>First Copper metallurgy

>1000 BCE
>Fucking Iron Age
>Fucking Ancient Greece
>Fucking Kingdom of Egypt

>relatively same level of technology
The fuck are you talking about?

Are you confusing Mexico with South America?
Previous user was talking about South America -- the Incas and such vs PIzzaro
I don't remember about the Aztecs, but the Mayans had writing. (But Catholic priests burnt their books.)

The vast majority of natives lived in mudhuts, all those stone buildings are :
A) actually pretty rare considering the exent of the american continent, the vast majority of tribes couldn't build for shit and those "empires" that could still had most of their population in mudhuts
B) mostly for religious uses

>Letting the Muslims and pagans burn everything from Syria to England was preferable to the church preserving the knowledge, even for selfish reasons
Fucking retard.

Look at any aboriginal around the world.

totally, religion is nothing but a poison despite every non third world country being built off of it. You tell em my man!

I blame Tolkien.

Fogot my evidence chart. I look foolish, but not as foolish as a religious person

MODS

If only the FFXV world actually reflected it was built around magic. That looks like it could be a real cafe in some place in the world. It reminds me of colonial architecture seen in latinamerica.

It kinda looks like this magic that the "world developed around" had just been discovered 20 or 10 years before the game takes place and the world is still trying to adapt.

But i'm not going to complain about it here, i'll wait for the FFXV thread and do it there.

Imagine just how conservative a society would have to be to literally see no progress for 1000 years.

Learning and experimentation would have to be a grave taboo, something punishable by death at least. "He's researching forbidden knowledge, he challenged conventional wisdom, KILL HIM!" kinda shit.

aboriginals aren't people, we had it right 100-200 years ago.

Why did you post this

You gay or something?
Does that look like a kid to you?

arent the dark ages literally just a myth

Fine,
>6000 BCE
>5000 BCE
That's what I originally meant but somehow the 1000 year difference became 1000 BCE.

No.
I am taking a stance at the realism of the situation.

Its like
Mexico, Great Amazon Basin and the Mountain Ridge of South America = Civilization
The rest: Really fuck all

>quantifying scientific advancement

this is some top quality bait.

>I don't remember about the Aztecs, but the Mayans had writing. (But Catholic priests burnt their books.)
Utter nonsense, fuck off with that revisionist bullshit you white liberal cuck from the first world, injuns were savages.
>We were preserving them! pagans would have burned them for some reason! disregard pagans turned to christianity immideately and that we keeped all that those book secrets centuries after any threat to them dissapeared, we would had probably shared them ourselves if constantinople was not sacked we were just waiting for the right time!
Mental gymnastics

This image literally proves nothing.

>the haves and the have nots

>scientific advancement

This isn't in any way quantifiable, there's not even a scale on that side of the fucking graph. Jesus christ I hate the internet now.

>Go from City States to City States with Armor and large armies
>MASSIVE agriculture and cattle improvements

The truth is
People were so hungry that they could not bother to technologically advance.

The great plague allowed for more food per capita and a rise in quality of life

Civilization as a whole went into a spiral of rises and falls that they couldn't get out of for a while, and it had nothing to do with the church.

I mean yes, they're shit for a lot of stuff they did, but Eurasian empires were falling like flies for about 300-500 years after the beginning of AD, and plenty of those had nothing to do with christianity.

>warcraft
>10000 years of hugging trees for the night elves
>it takes 5 centuries for the high elves to go from their landing in Lordaeron to Quel'thalas
metzen sure creates believable worlds

>muh exponential technological advance

Yeah, that wouldn't have worked like that.

After the fall of rome, technological stagnation would have occurred with or without christianism because barbarians were shit flinging retards

>Muh religions dindu nuffin

Because burning books is how knowledge is spread.

Nigga the onset of the dark ages had little to do with Christianity and more to do with lazy Romans and barbarian invaders.

Ironically enough the Renaissance was spurred on by the Papacy funding a bunch of fancy art projects everywhere.

I blame Cred Forums for all past and future problems.
Gee wiz, ain't having a cop out easy?

>Hurr durr why is 8000BC as underdeveloped as 10000BC

Y-yes

>tfw no proper cybernetic magik medieval hack n shoot em up

>religion burning books
Oh so what religion were the Nazi party again?

>Pagans dindu nuffin, just ignore the constant invasions and burning of Roman cities including Rome, three fucking times
Pagans were invading with Rome for centuries, they didn't convert until their fathers had already irreversibly fucked everything.

And it's not like they just took all the knowledge and did nothing with it, they were making constant advancements from roughly 800 onwards unless they threatened the Church which the practically never did.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_science_in_the_Middle_Ages

WE WUZ ROMANZ AND EGYPZIANZ N SHIT

>6000 BCE
>No Wheel
>People just figuring out that planting shit helps you not die
>Nomadic cultures

>5000 BCE
>Wheel
>Population centers go from populations in the hundreds to populations in the tens of thousands
>Animal Husbandry
>Copper jewelry
>Rice cultivation
>The Plough
>Beer brewing
>Civilizations

Hitler was a devout catholic.

>Pagans were invading with Rome
Christ I can't type to save my life.
There's also this.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology

Not precisely that, but you might like Xenogears, a PS1 game.

WE WUZ GREEKS N SHIT

in the case of Elder Scrolls, the presence of the mages guild hinders technology. Also inbetween Skyrim and Oblivion technology has actually actively regressed with Oblivion Imperial infantry all being equiped with expensive plate armour as standard while in Skyrim they are outfitted with antiquity teir leather.

Hitler was a Catholic in good standing and was never excommunicated.

>RELIGION HELPED ADVANCE KNOWLEDGE

Tell that to the ashes of Alexandria's Library.

What if the Library was full of shota doujins?
I mean, greeks wrote most of the books in there

>For centuries
Stop trying to rewrite history,the renaissance happened in the 16th century, pagans were virtually extinct in Europe, they would had kept all the pre christian literature locked up for eternity if it was up to their will.

>mages guild hinders technology
magic is technology in fantasy worlds with magic

Magic is actually much more handier than technology.
Since you ain't gotta explain shit

Then we lost more than we could have possibly fathomed.

To be fair, scientific and technological progress isn't something that just automatically happens.

It only happens during the growth period of civilisations. The Roman Empire for example had absolutely no progress. And even then, it's usually extremely slow and sporadic. There have only been two significant sustained bouts of progress, one around 600BC to 200BC in the Greek-speaking world, and one since about 1300 (with an interruption during the Renaissance) in Western Europe. The second one being by far the most spectacular, but it required very specific conditions to happen.

dude its a dream lol

No pope is going to excommunicate you for killing Jews.

I'm sure you're baiting, but if anyone cares pic related would be a more accurate version of that.

t. actually knows history

>magic
Literally just super-advanced shit that can be explained using really complicated SCIENCE.

>now
This image has been floating around the internet for years user.

Remember when you thought Skyrim would look like this

The Library of Alexandria was destroyed in several stages, first by Caesar, then by Emperor Aurelian, and possibly a final time by Caliph Omar. None of those people were Christian.

>Stop trying to rewrite history,the renaissance happened in the 16th century, pagans were virtually extinct in Europe,
Google the Germanic Wars you idiot.
>they would had kept all the pre christian literature locked up for eternity if it was up to their will.
But they didn't. Your arguments are pretty shitty when they have to rely on "What could have happened?"

We play fantasy games to idealize a past in which war was a reality. We play sci-fi games to idealize a future in which there is constant war. Modern games are all crime and murder simulators. Peace is an anomaly and war is what all humans truely lust for. The modern age is transitory and won't last for long, the idealization of a peaceful state of living is un-natural.

what units are these measured in?

Wow user that is deep

It's just a fixed version of the retarded original chart. It's supposed to give an idea of general trends.

Funny thing is people who talk about the Christian dark ages think they are so progressive but are ironically Eurocentric

Islamic world, China & India were doing fine during the Dark ages, until the Mongols sent them to the stone age

And the main thing that made the Western Scientific Revolution possible was the Catholic Church.

>The Germanic Wars is a name given to a series of wars between the Romans and various Germanic tribes between 113 BC and 596 AD.
>113 BC and 596 AD.
KYS
>Your arguments are pretty shitty when they have to rely on "What could have happened?"

Actually its your argument that claims that the church would had released all that literature in their volition, in reality they keep it locked for religious reason.
Again KYS.

go on...

oh so its still bullshit, ok

You know who else was doing even better? Westerners.

it's like a 7th and 8th and 9th sense that can't be explained without having the feeling user please!

>Bethesda ''''''''Lore''''''''

It's a schema. It doesn't need units.

dumb frogposter

How do you measure "scientific advancement"? I know you're merely pretending, but when I see these posts getting likes on Normiebook I internally REEEEEE

It is amusing how people still believe the Protestant propaganda regarding a "Dark Age". The Byzantine Empire alone blows the fuck out of the argument of a supposed Dark Age in Europe.

OP does have a point though. LOTR is really bad in this regard. Literally no technological changes in thousands of years.

What specific conditions?

>How do you measure "scientific advancement"?
If someone knows more about science than someone else, he is more scientifically advanced. This isn't rocket surgery.

The problem with the chart isn't the arbitrary scale, it's that it's completely wrong in the trends it represents.

No. You will not take my peasants with dirty rags and shit in their face from me!

LOTR is weird.
Elves keep getting weaker.
Genocides on most of the strongest Angel creatures happens.
Genocide on Numenors
All that non newtonian physics on mythical mythril

A worldwide dark age is a myth, the Arabs and Asians were doing great. But the west was doing shit and it wasn't directly caused by christianity but they were still a big part of it. The best thing christianity did was try to worm its way into every culture on earth thus creating international trade.

wrong, it was the wealthy Italian nation states funding it the papacy did shit all

Stop talking shit. Technology was still developed, it just wasn't spread and adopted elsewhere because the fall of Rome meant the world was divided again. It had nothing to do with religion, like you cringing autists think. Stupid fuck.

What the hell are you getting at? I never argued the pagan invasions happened after the Dark Ages, I'm arguing they caused them by destroying the Western Roman Empire. What did you think I was trying to say?

>Actually its your argument that claims that the church would had released all that literature in their volition, in reality they keep it locked for religious reason.
Again KYS.
I never claimed that. I always said that the Church preserved it and although they prevented some of its use to defend their own power base they contributed far, far more then they prevented.

Feeling insecure christfag? Try praying lol

>the Islamic world was doing hella math and science
Before it was islamic.

Well, considering that during most of LOTR world history there was only a immortal race capable of magical deeds, its not a very far stretch that technological advance would be almost null, since immortality takes away any feeling of urgency and magic is handy.

This doesn't explain why dorfs, who are as old as elves and not immortal nor magically capable, didn't evolve technologically

To be completely straight, the Christian "dark ages" were more an after effect of Muslims actively destroying accumulated Greek and Roman knowledge, such as the burning of the Library of Alexandria.

In Dune pretty much everybody has personal energy shield that deflects high velocity objects (like bullets)

so a special type of sword fighting was developed that focuses on swinging just slow enough to penetrate the shield

>during school was taught that church opressed scientists hence why dark ages had no low technological advance

>in college learn that malnutrition, feudal social structure and constant wars were the main culprit.

Why do they teach it in such a retarded way in school?

When did the Christians start going to the atheist school of writing?

Not them but I'll take a stab. The revived interest in greek/Roman scholarship thanks to the fall of the byzantine and the fantastically wealthy European city states. There was money to throw at art and technology and it became popular among royalty to fund such endeavors

Wonder where Lucas got the idea for Lightsabers from?

> I never argued the pagan invasions happened after the Dark Ages
You pretty much did you faglord.

sounds strange but also pretty cool

Combine that with laser weapons causing a nuclear explosion when they hit an energy shield... yeah.

>implying Christians had any hand in the dark ages
Blame the goths and the Muslims.

Connection to and admiration for Greek science, specifically Aristotlean logic and rationalism and elements of empiricism, the practice of conserving and copying ancient texts at monasteries, the Catholic Church running institutions of learning like cathedral schools and universities, Catholic dogma and scholasticism which believed in a rational universe and emphasised the importance of exploring science to glorify God, Church intervention in 1277 at the University of Paris which broke the Aristotelian dogma and made it possible for Western science to surpass the Greeks, and a certain prudence Western thinkers had to follow because of the Church, which meant that no theory could ever be turned into dogma but had to remain theory.

Combine all of that and you get the principles of the scientific method, which is what made the enormous scientific progress since then possible.

No, the accounts are marveling at the architecture, and size of the city primarily

from a letter from Cortes to Charles V:

>He (Montezuma II) possessed out of the city as well as within, numerous villas, each of which had its peculiar sources of amusement, and all were constructed in the best possible manner for the use of a great prince and lord. Within the city his palaces were so wonderful that it is hardly possible to describe their beauty and extent ; I can only say that in Spain there is nothing equal to them.

>The city of Iztapalapa contains twelve or fifteen thousand houses; it is situated on the shore of a large salt lake, one-half of it being built upon the water, and one half on terra firma. The governor or chief of the city has several new houses, which, although they are not yet finished, are equal to the better class of houses in Spain –being large and well constructed, in the stone work, the carpentry, the floors, and the various appendages necessary to render a house complete, excepting the reliefs and other rich work usual in Spanish houses. There are also many upper and lower rooms–cool gardens, abounding in trees and odoriferous flowers; also pools of fresh water, well constructed, with stairs leading to the bottom.

>There is also a very extensive kitchen garden attached to the house, and over it a belvidere with beautiful corridors and halls; and within the garden a large square pond of fresh water, having its walls formed of handsome hewn stone; and adjacent to it there is a promenade, consisting of a tiled pavement so broad that four persons can walk on it abreast, and four hundred paces square, or sixteen hundred paces round; enclosed on one side towards the wall of the garden by canes, intermingled with vergas, and on the other side by shrubs and sweet-scented plants. The pond contains a great variety of fish and water-fowl, as wild ducks, teal, and others so numerous that they often cover the surface of the water.

1/3

Show me the post in which I did.

he's right though

Cortes was a very nice guy afterall
Too bad he was too pragmatic

wow, I always had that as an idea for an explanation, neat to see it's already been implemented. I started reading a bit of Dune but it didn't hook me right away. Should get back to it

>On their route they passed through three provinces, that, according to the report of the Spaniards, contained very fine land, many villages and cities, with much scattered population, and buildings equal to any in Spain. They mentioned particularly a house and castle, the latter larger, of greater strength, and better built than the castle of Burgos ; and the people of one of these provinces, called Tamazulapa, were better clothed than those of any other we had seen, as it justly appeared to them.

And from Bernal Díaz del Castillo's True History of the Conquest of the New Spain: chapters LXXXVII and XCII:

>The next morning we reached the broad high road of Iztapalapan, whence we for the first time beheld the numbers of towns and villages built in the lake, and the still greater number of large townships on the mainland, with the level causeway which ran in a straight line into Mexico.

>Our astonishment was indeed raised to the highest pitch, and we could not help remarking to each other, that all these buildings resembled the fairy castles we read of in Amadis de Gaul; so high, majestic, and splendid did the temples, towers, and houses of the town, all built of massive stone and lime, rise up out of the midst of the lake. Indeed, many of our men asked if what they saw was a mere dream. And the reader must not feel surprised at the manner in which I have expressed myself, for it is impossible to speak coolly of things which we had never seen nor heard of, nor even could have dreamt of, beforehand.

>When we approached near to Iztapalapan, two other caziques came out in great pomp to receive us: one was the prince of Cuitlahuac, and the other of Cojohuacan; both were near relatives of Motecusuma. We now entered the town of Iztapalapan, where we were indeed quartered in palaces, of large dimensions, surrounded by spacious courts, and built of hewn stone, cedar and other sweet-scented wood. All the apartments were hung round with cotton cloths.

2/3

So essentially, Aztecs were at rome tier?

No, individuals who were Christian contributed much but often by going against the wishes of the church. The catholic church only cared about money and power and it took rebellious individuals to study and circulate these ideas, so to say the church directly contributed anything is bullshit.

That's probably why in other fantasies dwarves become be engineers of sorts.

>"After we had seen all this, we paid a visit to the gardens adjoining these palaces, which were really astonishing, and I could not gratify my desire too much by walking about in them and contemplating the numbers of trees which spread around the most delicious odours; the rose bushes, the different flower beds, and the fruit trees which stood along the paths. There was likewise a basin of sweet water, which was connected with the lake by means of a small canal. It was constructed of stone of various colours, and decorated with numerous figures, and was wide enough to hold their largest canoes."

>"In this basin various kinds of water-fowls were swimming up and down, and everything was so charming and beautiful that we could find no words to express our astonishment. Indeed I do not believe a country was ever discovered which was equal in splendour to this; for Peru was not known at that time. But, at the present moment, there is not a vestige of all this remaining, and not a stone of this beautiful town is now standing."

>"(About Tlatelolco) After we had sufficiently gazed upon this magnificent picture, we again turned our eyes toward the great market, and beheld the vast numbers of buyers and sellers who thronged there. The bustle and noise occasioned by this multitude of human beings was so great that it could be heard at a distance of more than four miles. Some of our men, who had been at Constantinople and Rome, and travelled through the whole of Italy, said that they never had seen a market-place of such large dimensions, or which was so well regulated, or so crowded with people as this one at Mexico."

3/3

Bruh
>The RC church didn't suppress science like people like to pretend
He was saying what you are

>The revived interest in greek/Roman scholarship thanks to the fall of the byzantine

That's a common misconception. There had been plenty of interest in ancient Greek and Roman writings throughout the Middle Ages. In fact the problem had become that in science for example, the Greek authority on the matter (Aristotle) was being followed dogmatically. Then in the 13th and 14th century Western thinkers surpassed that and started progressing science again.

What then happened with Renaissance Humanism and the renewed interest in the ancients was in fact a very bad thing for science, since we went back to blindly following Aristotle like we had during the earlier Middle Ages. The 14th century progress was forgotten until Galileo revived it in the 17th century. The Renaissance was an interruption in the Scientific Revolution that had started before it.

>why?

It's bait you fucking manchild it's not meant to prove anything

Except the aztecs did it without significant use of metal tools (the only metal tools they had were copper and they barely used them) or any sort of pack/work animals

There's also the matter these were more or less built on top of a lake and a large part of aztec agriculture was more or less terraforming swampy brackish water into fertile farmland that also cleaned the water via a specialized farming technique called chinampas

You implied the reason the church had those books on lock down was pagan invasions.
Pagan invasions well into the 16th century.
I posted "Stop trying to rewrite history,the renaissance happened in the 16th century, pagans were virtually extinct in Europe"
You replied
>Google the Germanic Wars you idiot.
Cred Forums intellectuals.

I wonder if those depicitions are anywhere similar to the real thing.

But yeah Aztec cities were probably very nice, if you ignore the human sacrifice and all that

Dune is really hard to get into. It throws shitloads of terms and references from page 1 that are completely made up and only make sense in-universe. It takes a lot of effort on the reader's part to actually get familiarized with everything

pls gib it another try. Dune is my favorite book of all time

>You implied the reason the church had those books on lock down was pagan invasions.
The church had those books because they were the only ones with any power after the Roman government collapsed. The pagan invasions caused that to happen.
>Pagan invasions well into the 16th century.
I had already established I was talking specifically about Germanic pagans. Excluding viking raids nearly all of their invasions ended after Rome fell.
>Cred Forums intellectuals.
If I was from Cred Forums I would be sucking German dick.

>preserved and copied all the ancient texts it had
>maintained a class of intellectuals who could keep and transmit knowledge
>founded all the schools in the West and eventually the universities
>massively supported natural philosophy (ie science) at said universities
>established the philosophical foundation for Western science
>directly intervened to get natural philosophers to surpass Aristotle

Modern science is a creation of the Catholic Church.

Both of those things are retarded.

how many "wheels" do you suppose make contact with the center line on a road? ballpark figure.

what is your take?

How do you know that he wasn't referring to another dark age?

>Excluding viking raids nearly all of their invasions ended after Rome fell.
Then why keep them locked up? also are you implying raiding bands of germanonnigers burned all books in private hands and secular buildings but decided not to fuck with those in churches? it seems to me and not only to me but most people that the church confiscated those books.

Fantasy writers are fucking stupid, news at 11.

Only Daggerfall manages the sort of scale that the world is actually supposed to have. Large towns might have multiple schools of magic and most smaller towns have atleast one.

Sucks that it is so damn dated in its mechanics otherwise. Not a very enjoyable game experience in the modern day.

>Then why keep them locked up?
Knowledge is power, why would the Church want to share?
>also are you implying raiding bands of germanonnigers burned all books in private hands and secular buildings but decided not to fuck with those in churches?
The churches that preserved everything were put of the way so people tended not to fuck with them. Think of places like Ireland.

>Not a very enjoyable game experience in the modern day.
The Dungeon Crawling is RADICAL.
Its one of the aspects that was sadly never improved much upon in modern games.
Some of the 3D mazes get completely out of hand, and I love it

Just a reminder that if it wasn't for the dark ages you wouldn't be alive right now, and Cred Forums wouldn't exist.

Sleep well

> why would the Church want to share?
Thanks for admiting I'm right.
Goodnight.

Well first I don't know what you mean by "Dark Ages". If it's the entire Middle Ages, then there was enormous progress starting in the 10th century but especially in the Gothic Era between the 12th and 14th. If you mean the time between the fall of Western Rome and the Carolingian Renaissance, which is the only time period that can possibly be considered "Dark Ages", then there still was actually more progress than there had been before. The plough, horse collar, three-field crop rotation, vertical windmills... all those inventions date from that period.

The thing is people seem to think the Roman Empire was a time of progress. It wasn't. There was absolutely no scientific or technological progress in the Greco-Roman world after about 200 BC. The entire period of the Roman Empire was scientifically and technologically stagnant. There was a certain drop in knowledge when Rome collapsed, simply because of the physical and institutional destruction, but there most certainly wasn't a drop in progress which had been non-existent, in fact that's when progress started taking off again.

What was "locked up"? What the fuck are you even talking about?

>The Church wanted to preserve knowledge but not advance on its own
>Because fuck you I said that's how it happened
I'm just arguing in circles with you, aren't I?

well I definitely feel like picking it up again. Why haven't they made a movie out of it yet? (that's good I mean). Is it too inaccessable? Feels like one of the "great" IPs out there yet it seems to get little love.

this idiot is convinced the Church just collected all the books after Rome fell then put them in the super secret underground bunker beneath the Vatican for 1000 years instead of actually doing anything with them.

It is my headcanon that TES is hard science fiction.

Nirn is a world terraformed in the last few thousand years by the eight god tier AI's. Mer were tweaked humans who colonized before it was fully terraformed. Baseline humans came later. All magic is a mix of nanomachines and wormholes. Daedric princes are AIs that had nothing to do with the creation of Nirn.

Why settle for magic when you can have hard science fiction?

Oh, ok.

Well the Church made a bunch of copies of everything to make sure it would survived, and then founded a bunch of schools where those texts were taught and debated over. So yeah. We'd probably still be living with 2000 year old science and technology if it wasn't for that.

So it's basically Metal Gear in space?

>mainly proliferated religious texts, potentially destroyed/erased just as many useful texts (the Arabs were better at preserving science)
>maintained a dogmatic control of knowledge and deliberately kept it out of the common tongue
>forced intellectuals to do as much theology (ie pseudoacademic circlejerking) as anything else
>I had no idea the catholic church told Francis bacon everything he knew

Are you slow? The catholic church's role in modern science is a correlation, they had no idea what they were doing and exclusively worked to further their own power. The individuals (galileo, bacon, copernicus) are responsible for the world today and almost all of them were excommunicated for impeaching the church's power.

Maybe somewhere in the middle niggers and mudslimes invaded

Samurai films. He just made them lasers, because space.

>The catholic church's role in modern science is a correlation, they had no idea what they were doing and exclusively worked to further their own power.
What I got from your post is basically "You can only be attributed for doing something good if you did it on purpose."

When ya got magic who needs science?

>they would had kept all the pre christian literature locked up for eternity if it was up to their will.
They were also responsible for destroying a lot of it during their process of spreading the religion to European pagans.

There's exactly one piece of writing remaining from my people written around the 12th century before the christians came and destroyed everything there was and hid the rest. We know barely anything of ourselves before the religion was forced upon us.

... No?

>Wormholes
>AIs
>Nanomachines
>Genetic manipulation
It's Metal Gear in space, the only thing it needs is some parasites then it's perfect.

>destroyed/erased just as many useful texts
Do you even have a single example of that happening? inb4 shit the Byzantines did.

>maintained a dogmatic control of knowledge and deliberately kept it out of the common tongue
Which is why they founded and ran a bunch of schools and even had orders that handed out scholarships.

>forced intellectuals to do as much theology (ie pseudoacademic circlejerking) as anything else
That's complete bullshit, if anything it was the other way around, Church policy made sure natural philosophy never diverged into theology. Just the results of natural philosophy were sometimes used by theologians never the other way around.

>I had no idea the catholic church told Francis bacon everything he knew
Western science didn't pop into existence with Francis Bacon. Or with Galileo or Copernicus for that matter. "Galileo's" physics for example are entirely taken from Buridan and Oresme, who are effectively the founders of classical mechanics and calculus. Both were priests.

Exactly, you finally get it. If something is a happy byproduct of their morally questionable activities then it isn't a "direct result of the catholic church", it happened in spite of them. It's the worst kind of historical bleaching to act like they knew what they were doing and did it for humanity/love of knowledge.

>ignore the human sacrifice and all that
It may not be a perfect system, but it's still the best one there is.

>The Dungeon Crawling is RADICAL.
I know I love it too. Just the simple fact that you can climb walls introduces so much to the exploring of said dungeons that it's crazy. But no matter how amazing they are it's also very exhausting to go through them. Any larger dungeon and I can only manage clear one per session.

No, obviously every member of the Catholic Church was a creature of pure evil consumed by their hatred for mankind and their need to destroy knowledge.

You're fucking retarded.

>Do you even have a single example of that happening?
Not that user, but the biggest instance of Christians possibly directly destroying texts is with the final destruction and burning of the library of Alexandria in 391.

Except for how that's literally made up. See It also wouldn't be related to the Catholic Church if it had happened, which it didn't.

The Coptics destroyed everything in 391, the Catholics weren't involved. Most versions of Christianity that weren't Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy were kinda retarded and did nothing but destroy everything.

isn't lotr just retarded in the same way that all mythology is retarded? Technology stays the with legendary heroes of old who also fought with the same weapons and wore the same clothes, with the gods being the only ones having this immense magical power.

But they didn't. A pagan temple that belonged to the original library was destroyed, but by all accounts it no longer contained any books.

Well there's the Archimedes Palimpsest to name a well known example, following that it seems they'd happily erase anything they didn't fully comprehend to write more bibles/theology

Next, those schools weren't for anything but power. Those schools churned out more monks and brought in more money from the aristocracy. How many peasants throughout history would've bettered from this without giving their life in service to the church as monks?

>church policy made sure natural theology never diverged into theology
Source on that? Cus that seems like exactly what aquinus did

And how can you not see scientific advancement happened in spite of the church? When something bought into question their political power (ie donation of constantine) or their cosmology (heliocentric universe) they did everything in their power to stop it. As I've said before, it all happened as a happy accident and they deserve no credit for blundering into progress

>why didn't the fantasy world with monsters and demons and magic follow the same trail of advancement as real life

Fantastic reading comprehension m8 you'll go far

user is forgetting Theodosius outlawing all paganism, and basically sealing the fate of the Serapeum, which was being used as a library. It isn't known if there were actually any texts left in the library, hence the "possibly"

I never said anything about Catholics, I said Christians.

Advancement can still happen in high fantasy games. Final Fantasy did it right.

>It's the worst kind of historical bleaching to act like they knew what they were doing and did it for humanity/love of knowledge.
What is it with you and taking things I say then completely changing them?
I just looked it up and you're right, my mistake.
Coptic Church =/= Christianity. Other Christians hated them at the time because they fucked up everything and their leader was insane.

Technically lotr does have technological progress since it takes place on Earth

I don't know where you're getting that from but sorry, user, the Coptics are a christian sect.

>wormholes
When did Kojima say anything about wormholes?

Also this is generic science fiction stuff. You could just as easly say "so Star Trek".

Let me rephrase what I said. Coptics =/= All of Christianity. It's like the differences between the Sunni and Shia.

I take issue with your black and white interpretation of history and am trying to have a friendly debate about the catholic church.

wait what

I doubt its canon but still.
youtube.com/watch?v=_bAbuYYfyC4

Tell that to the printing press.

but, still christian, and responsible for the destruction of the Serapeum, and possibly the last remaining books of the original library.

The overall point is, though, that it's not part of some organized destruction of knowledge, as the original user was attempting to imply. The destruction was more about the power struggle between the bishop and head of the roman government of Alexandria at the time.

>Archimedes Palimpsest
>inb4 shit the Byzantines did
For fuck's sake, Jerusalem isn't in Western Europe, why is that so hard to understand?

>those schools weren't for anything but power
By that logic you can say the same about literally anything. MLK just wanted power. Doctors Without Borders just wants power. The schools were originally designed under the influence of Charlemagne to make sure the nobility would have an education. The point was always to maintain knowledge.

>How many peasants throughout history would've bettered from this without giving their life in service to the church as monks?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. If you wanted to be an academic you could do that and get an education. If you wanted to stay a peasant it would make no sense to spend years studying Aristotle.

>Source on that?
The simple fact that Aristotle was made the primary authority despite completely contradicting everything there is in matter of natural philosophy in the Bible already proves that. The Bible was never used as a source for natural philosophy ever since Saint Augustine already determined that those passages of the Old Testament couldn't possibly be taken literally.

>donation of constantine
What on Earth does that have to do with science?

>heliocentric universe
Has nothing to do with Christianity, it was simply the model used by the Greeks. When thinkers started proposing alternatives, the Church had no problem with that. If you mean Galileo, he got into a personal conflict with the Pope while making claims that he wasn't able to prove. There would have been no problem if he had acted scientifically (which is the same as acting in a Catholic way) and maintained his model as a mere theory instead of claiming it as indisputable fact. Or otherwise if he had been able to prove his claims. Or if he hadn't written a whole book personally insulting the Pope in the most violent way. But he did all three things at the same time.

Yeah its like how Conan the Barbarian takes place in the Hyperborean age, the events in the books are supposed to take place 6000 years before Tolkien was born

that's cool, so he imagines a forgotten time in europe or something like that?

Yeah basically. The books themselves are supposed to be "translations" of Bilbo Baggins's memoir that Tolkien finds
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_of_Westmarch

but he's also mormon which cuts his "genius" down about 95%

granted, ender's game is good and the books evolving Bean are pretty ok

It's hard to do it justice. So many people want to play up the giant sand worms and space battles when really Dune is more about space politics, ecology, and philosophy

Are the translations the only thing that exists or did he write down the red book of westmarch too?

Most technological innovation is stuff you wouldn't notice. Better axles for carts, more effecient farming methods, a new way to preserve certain foods etc.

>meanwhile

Spain wastes all their trees building a fleet to invade England, but most destroyed in a storm

Stupid Spaniards.

I'd imagine a world filled with gods would favor a conservative worldview. Plus there's magic, no real need for science.

The red book wasn't, it's just a way to tie the lotr story into the real world. Like how the Blair witch Project says it's real found footage

yawn
youtube.com/watch?v=VUFD1uRCGpQ

Because the Redguards don't want to share their cuuuuurved swooooords which also double as nuclear reactors.

Also, during its height, the Empire launched a mission to the moon. Technology is getting lost in TES, not found.

That's less technology and more them losing most of their money to afford anything better when the elves took everything. The Imperium is on a shoestring budget by Skyrim.

>Thomas Aquinas

ah, gotcha. I wonder if he thought about how that would be viewed by the reader. For instance, are we supposed to take Bilbo as a real person but the events he tells of as a collection of mythology? Or are we supposed to take of it as though all the fantastical stuff included there with the gods and magic are true and that magic really did slowly disappear from the world until there's none left which would be when tolkien wrote it down.

No, it's called Dark Ages because some european dudes thought way too highly of themselves and their french revolution

I've only read Ender's Game and I have no desire to continue the series, Am I losing much?
Maybe I will touch on that spin off that happens at the same time as the first book but the future stuff seems so fucking boring.

>all the fantastical stuff included there with the gods and magic are true and that magic really did slowly disappear from the world until there's none left
It's this