Creepy shit in videogames that weren't meant to be scary thread

Creepy shit in videogames that weren't meant to be scary thread

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/kamakazi/crabsquid
popoptiq.com/mystery-of-creepy-18-year-old-n64-california-speed-easter-egg-finally-revealed/
youtube.com/watch?v=2cDU49bUEk8
youtube.com/watch?v=eq7mNSkzgfQ
youtube.com/watch?v=vGF-f3arb04
youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3s-oHlIvM
robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap
youtube.com/watch?v=-AZZ547DbMs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How the fuck is that not meant to be creepy or scary?

Was that a glitch or was it supposed to be a creepy level?

It's a racing game, a billboard that displays a message like that does not belong in a racing game, that's what I meant you cuck

He means the game itself as a whole isn't creepy but has this one creepy thing in it.

Creepy, you say?

it was supposed to be liek that. probabaly becasue of the puzzle and having to potentially go back

> Non-terrifying GIF version

Prank calls were terrifying as a kid

The hell is this?

MUUUUURRRRRRPHHHHHH!!!

KANEDA! WHAT DO YOU SEE??
wrong movie, but holy fuck does it apply

most of this game, but especially when you get towards the end of the game at stage 200

nuff said

>subnautica

SPOILER THAT SHIT

>subnautica
>not meant to be scary

Are you high?

Most of the alien fish are cute, especially the peepers. The scenery and level design is beautiful. Then you're caught off guard when you eventually run into

Nigga anything underwater is going to be scary, no amount of cute fish will make deep sea not scary.

?

KANEDAAA!!!

explain

bigfoot

Brother?

Is there any sort of explanation to this shit? Like, has anyone reached out to the former Midway developers to ask why this is a thing? Or were they taken away from us; like many mommies and puppies were before their time.

>Checking out the deep reef in the scooty puff jr. for the first time
>Night time, dark as shit even with the lights on
>Hear some clicking sounds in my headphones
>See something move behind a rock wall, move closer
>Suddenly this fucking nightmare

Goddamn.

My take is that it's a speeding PSA, but that it was unfinished (the "I do" being speeding in a car).

please tell me you're not serious

Wasn't he supposed to be found in Back o' Beyond, most of the time?

Scooty Puff Jr A+ reference

Literal landwhales.

TEEETSUOOOO

what the fuck am I looking at

You're the real cuck. Read his post more clearly for fucks sake.

DOOK DOOK MOTHERFUCKER

soundcloud.com/kamakazi/crabsquid

And they have an EMP attack now

Who the fuck recorded this shit? Looking away like that ruins the entire thing, assuming its not to try hide it being fake in some way

Explain

dumb phoneposter

LOL It now makes sense holy fuck

We need more deep sea spooky games.

its pretty clear that was meant to be scary

Spookiest NES game.

Tried SOMA?

>there are dead ghosts
oh yes, vewy scawy

I think one of the developers put it in there as a placeholder while they were porting the game from arcade to N64. He made it something so ridiculous that no one would mistake it for a final texture, but it somehow got overlooked and made it to release.

How do you accomplish an effect like this?

it's just render calls happening out of order

I know this is a really shitty game, but the cabin exploration really unsettled me.

>the creepy music
>the confusing movement mechanic
>the possibility to encounter Jason

I later figured out that Jason's lifebar appears if you enter a cabin while he's already in it.

This may sound weird, but I think Mas Effect 1 has this in abundance, especially during Mako rides. Just think of it - you are on mostly lifeless planets, with huge worms ready to jump out at any point from below you, and a nearby mine potentially swarming with mutated bodies of dead people. There is no one to help you. It's just you, 2 your squadmates, riding in a small rover tank on a surface of potentially hostile planet.

I know my wording isn't very good, but... it's hard to explain. After riding on these planers for an hour or two, i feel very uneasy, even though there is usually no immediate danger

>dead ghosts
>not scary
How does something die twice?
Or better yet, what can kill a ghost?

The Mako parts were the one good thing in the Mass Effect series.

come on, even if aren't into the game, you can at least admit that scenery and cities were good too

Triggered

Was searching for bigfoot when a ghost cae hit me. Damn never jumped so hard in my life

Nah, dude, I get you.

For me, the side missions where you explore derelict ships still in orbit and find those zombie-like enemies.
Or that one empty ship with only one man on life support and his crazy wife hiding somewhere.
Damn, son, those missions were unnerving as fuck. Derelict ships and spaceships never fail to make me uneasy.

Check out pic related if you enjoy similar feels, it's somewhat of a hidden gem for me.

Oh shit there he is.

>professor

all the creativity and atmosphere in planet exploration was utterly destroyed when every single structure on them is just a copy-pasted selection of shitty corridors with crates and occasionally a paste-door to open to reach some fucking zombies or something. absolutely no fun in the exploration when you realise that this is the entire game outside of the main plot. it's not like the rewards are even worth it, just more weapon mods to make you sift through the abysmal inventory system.

This place will never not scare the shit out of me for reasons I can't explain.

Yup
popoptiq.com/mystery-of-creepy-18-year-old-n64-california-speed-easter-egg-finally-revealed/

>The Mako parts were the one good thing in the Mass Effect series.

What the... having to tediously comb every identical procedurally generated perlin noise planet on a lousy, boring rover occasionally driving in circles around a worm and plinking it with a gun. Is your idea of good. I mean ME1 gameplay sucked but they did significantly improve it by the 3rd one.

Stuck in a tank of water with no breathable air, scrambling for metal objects that may or may not release you from a watery grave?

Yeah, nah, nothin' scary about that.

Thanks! WIll give it a try

Yeah, it was stupid. I guess lore wise though it can explained by excessive standardization, to the point when all those bases are build using the same plans.

The real part that fucks with me is that the aquarium is floating in the middle of the sky.

>but especially when you get towards the end of the game at stage 200

why, what happens?

Fear of an endless void, perhaps? That's pretty common.

It's not my idea of good—I should have said decent instead—but it was the closest thing to a highlight in that godawful mediocre game.

What's more terrifying: the smaller stellar black holes, or the supermassive ones? With the smaller ones, you can see the tidal forces reach insane values while you still appear far away from the horizon. If they have accretion disks, they're often spinning incredibly fast and appear... violent.

The supermassive ones have accretion disks so large they don't appear to be moving at all. Tidal forces are insignificant long after you've passed the event horizon. You can get comfy and watch the entire panorama of the universe get compacted to an increasingly blueshifted circle.

Reminder to always set the sound to "Context Playing" for a proper black hole visitor's experience: youtube.com/watch?v=2cDU49bUEk8

The amount of enemies thrown at you and the types of them are so incredibly ridiculous. Most of the bot designs in Robotron 64 are just plain awry, but the last two stages are unreasonably peculiar.

All the monsters are just thrown at you, and some if not all take several shots to kill. Coupled with the design and the practicality behind the gameplay, it's the same as any nightmare fuel pasta.

youtube.com/watch?v=eq7mNSkzgfQ

Ghost Gun from TS3

Lol I'm reading the "reception" part of the wikipedia article for this game and it's all reviews QQing because they don't have a map.

If glitches can count, the 4th Day bug in Majora's Mask

>the town is empty aside from only a couple shopkeepers and the guards
>the sky is sunset purple and pink no matter what time it is
>hitting gossip stones causes glitched text to appear in the window, and sometimes it doesn't go away
>Mayor cutscene is absolutely broken and trying to talk causes the music to speed up and crashes the game
>depending on the time, ocean changes colors underwater from deep blue, seafoam green, yellowish green, and pic related

>all those spooky planet descriptions hinting at prior visits by reapers/other advanced races
>that planet with giant super-organism fossils
>the gas giant with a giant machine brain inside it no one can communicate with
>that one planet with the alien ruins and the inscriptions implying they mindfucked their civilization to death
>all while this is playing: youtube.com/watch?v=vGF-f3arb04

Fuck man, nothing else like it.

the game isnt supposed to be, thats what he meant

>in videogames that weren't meant to be scary

r u ok?

somewhat

sharknado?

I agree. Jews are scary.

user, pretty much every level in Mario 64 is floating in the middle of the sky or one of Bowser's nightmare voids.

But considering that they are paintings where the world probably wouldn't extend beyond the canvas it makes some sense.

deepest lore

reminds me of the End Of Evangelion

Fuck that song.

God, I still love the flavor text they added in for all those otherwise-pointless planets across the galaxy. Made it feel like there was a real reason for some of those backwater systems to be in your nav charts, even if it was just something stupid and kitschy.

>the planet they shot Starless on that still has the sets standing
>the gas giant with the weird lights during the first survey that were never seen again
>the planet with the batarian graffiti you can see from orbit
>the system where two of the planets are going to smack into each other eventually and the asari are selling tickets to see it happen in person
>the planet claimed by Volus Howard Hughes because a vision from God told him to

I'd be too busy jerking off to her thighs to get scared.

>Murder mystery
>Not creepy

Ok I will admit to not having played the games but I know what they're about. So how does this add up?

She goes on stage to sing a song called "Let My Feelings Reach You", but instead of a cute love song it turns out to be a heavy metal performance about how she killed and dismembered a guy who rejected her. She even "sings" it in a creepy monotone voice.

>Creepy shit in videogames that weren't meant to be scary thread
>weren't meant to be scary

Sounds pretty obvious the intent was to be creepy with it user.

Dolphin-nado

That whole area was unnecessarily demented. The laughing really gets to you.

What do you mean

I really wish Bioware would attempt a Mass Effect game that takes place when most of the pre-prothean races are around (Densorin, Thoi'han, Arthenn, Inusannon etc.)

What would they look like, and what would the planets that you visit in most of the games look like hundreds of thousands of years ago? Would they be playable?

youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3s-oHlIvM
>no NPCs
>not actually meant to be a PvP zone
>so dark and spoopy people spazz out and shoot at every shadow they see
>the possibility of getting shot by some tweaking explorer like yourself only adds to the tension

desu i love that song and listened to it a lot after playing the game

>the gas giant where "something" was seen receding into the depths on first contact, and hasn't been seen since
>the planet with the giant ballistic scar on it's surface that's something like 10,000 years old, just yesterday in galactic terms

you might like this
robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

I like imagining that Nintendo was condemning GameShark with this Easter egg.

Happy Mask Salesman scared the fuck out of me as a kid.

From Mario Kart DS

not from DS, from one of the arcade GP games
still weird though

>The source of the third picture is slightly... bizarre. It is a picture of the Beslan school hostage crisis, a terrorist attack where over 1,100 people were taken hostage by armed separatist militants in a school in Beslan, North Ossetia (Russian Federation). Originally photographed by Yuri Tutov, and can be purchased from Getty Images. EXIF data shows it was modified on 9th September 2004 12:25:57.

What the fuck were they thinking?

Very cute Nep.

Those backgrounds could be so unsettling

>he didnt credit booscaster
the animal

>this entire game

desert one reminds me of the tatooine skybox in kotor. something really unsettled me about those gargantuan distant pillars of rock. I remember spending a long time standing there staring at them, thinking about just how fucking huge and empty tatooine must actually be.

>I'm better than everyone here, don't have conversations around me
kys

>being this mad about anything, ever
Consider suicide

>get mad for no reason
>call others mad for no reason

Bloody hell neo-Cred Forums gets worse and worse.

Bump

GoldenEye for the N64, how you can't hear the enemies approaching, and then you suddenly turn around and a soldier is facing you down.

Is it bad I want to live in Tatooine?

FUCK. THIS.

FUCK

I don't even remember this but that fucking fish has definitely given me scares before. commander keen?

Is that scarce?

This always made me unsettled when i was younger.

Mostly the entire sequence.

From the thumbnail I thought it was Samus chest.

there was a point and click aventure game and in on of the level if you spoke to a woman , she will tell you about how she gives candies to kids to keep them disfigured so they look like her.
Most unsettling thing i've read in a vidya

Sanitarium?

omg, IM SOOO SCARED

THE LEVEL HAS NO ENEMIESSS

FRIGHTENINGGGGGG *screams into a facecam*

>I can't read
thread is for creepy shit, not gutwrenching terror you fucking dimwit

In Sonic, going underwater in the Labyrinth levels, and being locked in the pyramid in Sonic & Knuckles were my nightmares.

Bioshock was meant to be scary in a few ways, but the dentist that spawns directly behind you when you pick an item up in the first two hours or so of the game was a biggie, plus in general the mannequins that move when you turn around. Fuck!

Ok on that note Dying Light is meant to be a bit scary, but in one mission you go into a house and there is a giant angel statue in the basement visible from a flashlight. Only one in the whole game, unique model.

You are told to go in the basement... And nothing comes of it. I was playing in coop and we were both freaking the fuck out about it. Turns out they were hoping people had watched that Dr Who episode 'Blink' with the fucking angels statues that kill you when you look away.

The only shitty thing about that was repeating the 6 minute autoscroller if you died

Thankfully Sega CD Ecco fixed a lot of the shit that was wrong with that game

There is literally nothing fucking creepy about it

I do mean literally nothing

luckily, the meaning of literally was literally changed to literally not mean literally, literally, instead it means figuratively, so theres literally a literal million ways to interperet this, and that response, literally literally

>Being unable to be immersed in fiction

but that was fiction, were you not immersed?

Ok, Morrowind, first playthrough ever with the Goty version meaning Tribunal content was included.

I'm only a mere babby in the game, getting familiar with how everything works, and I try beds for like the first time. My guy sleeps a couple hours and I find my first Dark Brotherhood assassin all right up in my grills, sort of behind me a bit. I think I probably died and then was afraid of having my bloke go to sleep.

I reckon before even doing the main game or Bloodmoon I sorted those cunts out so it could never happen again, with a set of Ordinator armour to carry my low-level ass through Mornehold.

yep, that's the one =)

I didn't like Timesplitters as a kid. My uncle had the game and boasted how hard it was, that he was stuck.

The idea of each level in the original was to run through fighting whatever enemies were era appropriate, then once you touch the maguffin aliens spawn every fuckin' where and you gotta bail.

I passed the first level I tried, somewhere middle of the campaign, by the skin of my teeth, just running, not shooting. I remember being terrified, like I'd fallen for a prank that this was a nice leisurely shooter before all these aliens appeared.

I was immersed in your mum's fiction last night if you know what I read.

Didn't expect those... "things" in the game.

It's like Mad Max: the planet

I thought the soundtrack of this game was pretty intense for an NES game.

The laughing children sound file that plays near the playground in HL2

I think MW also had those spooky children ambient sound during the Pripyat level
and this one youtube.com/watch?v=-AZZ547DbMs

This guy made me shit my pants

Alot in WoW made me scared as fuck

>You go around do quests and kill mobs
>suddently you get attacked by T-rex
>or fel reaver in hellfire pennisula

Meh. Even when I was a kid it was hard to take the Jason encounters seriously, because they repeat the same two notes over and over.
The overworld and cabin music are spooky as fuck though.

>Fel reaver
Now you're on the right track. Everyone had that time where the ground started shaking, they hear some horrible growl, then swivel the camera to see a gigantic machine stomping after them.

I love that they had a better one attack the Alliance sky ship in that Legion cinematic. Hairs on my neck stood up at the growl.

Overworld music was what I was referring to.

Why does this spook me so

milla's secret in psychonauts

I reckon everyone has gotten stomped by a reaver at least once before. It was the first thing like it in WoW.

Just like I imagine a lot of pre Cata players would have also wandered around the world (of warcraft) to get fucked at least once by random world raid boss dragons and elites around the place, like the one that was in Duskwood.

Korriban in Kotor 2 was 2poopy
everything abandoned and dead
ghost lizards attacking you when you try to loot shit
the force cave thing
dead republic guy that was suppose to be Carth's son