Whats the consensus Cred Forums?

Is Grim Dawn worth $14.99?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XgPgKxg0Z5Y
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36808
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

if you like the genre then yes

If you liked Diablo 2, then yes. For me it was very much what Diablo 3 should have been. The only thing it was missing that I wanted was a NPC hireling.

Be warned though, it starts off slow. Your movement will be slow, your attacks will be slow, you will miss shit, etc. But once you get through the first Act things start to pick up. Especially since by that point you will unlock gear for dual-wielding.

its a revamped and modern titan quest, so if you liked that game you will love GD

If you like arpgs you'll get hundreds of hours out of it.

How's the combat feel? Even though Diablo 3 had its faults, the combat felt really smooth and fluid, especially when you compare it to something like Path of Exiles.

It gets pretty fluid once you get out of the first Act. Depends on your build a bit though.

I ran a gunslinger mage and would aggro mobs at range, then fall back whilst they move through my DoTs and keep blasting them and dropping some AoEs.

Bosses usually ended up being instances of having to run around them and drop big damage spells or attacks in between running for my life.

In the end it is pretty fun though. And the way the faction system works keeps it interesting since enemy mobs will get bigger, tougher champions, more champions, etc.

Also so many enchantments are available. And the shrine system adds even more to that.

Chtonian Heroes can spawn in their little dungeon in Act 1, right? I need a Blood of C'Thon.

From memory yes, but there are better places to farm that which you won't be ready for.

I think that you either get some Blood of Cthon as quest reward, or bounty.

Just naturally progress and you'll end up with some. And have a bunch of it in the late game.

The skills are boring as fuck in this game. As a result the whole game is crap.

This was mentioned in a Lovecraftian games thread. How spooby is it?

One of the enemy fraction is a C'thulu theme and all of the side story is pretty well written but you have to read those notes dropping from the ground.

And the lore itself is pretty well set up.

Beware optimization if you have an ati vid card, but at that price? absolutely.

OP it's in this month humble monthly, you can get it for 10$ + 7 games. It's a better Diablo than Diablo.

Dude just get the current Humble Monthly bundle, it's $12 for Grim Dawn (which you get immediately) and like 5 or 6 other games

What are the other games?

No one knows yet, they're revealed and given to you on Sept 7

Also I should mention that almost every monthly has had at least 2 or 3 good games besides the one that's revealed at the start

Yeah, I would say so. But it's the kind of game that you really want to play together with friends. And the Hardcore mode is far superior to Scrubcore, but that might be obvious since the added pressure and tactical approach you need to take makes the challenge far more interesting.

polished the unimportant flaws of tq and ignored it's actual problems.

play tq instead.

I have nvidia and the optimization is still shit, especially for a game which looks like it could run on a ww2 toaster

>beware optimization

He means you get shit framerate even if you set it at the lowest possible settings with a setup that would get your 60 FPS with nearly any new release

I enjoyed that you had all the various little factions like the ancient necromantic empire, the beings from beyond this plane of existence, and then C'thulu blood god as well as all the smaller groups.
And they even fought each other at times which was a neat touch.

Of course the Aetherial plotline just kinda dies off after a while.

Like shit. Wet noodle animations and weak sound effects. It's the same as Titan Quest, combat is incredibly boring. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Not OP here
The only game of this nature I've ever played is Torchlight 2, which I throughly enjoyed playing solo. Keeping in mind that I'll likely be playing all of these solo, where do I go next? Diablo 1/2? Titan Quest? Grim Dawn?

Like others have said, if you're into arpgs it's definitely worth it.
I've sunk 350 or so hours into it and have plenty more to go. So many interesting builds to run, and the devs take a look at what builds the community have come up with when designing end game gear.
A good example is an endgame set for 2h melee that converts physical to chaos, for a gnarly anti-pally build.
They're also still making and releasing content for free. Only one paid dlc so far, and it's $5 for an endgame horde mode.

But being that it's an arpg, it falls victim to many of the same weaknesses other arpgs have, namely the gear grind and resist-centric stats and build making.

Still, tons of fun. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to D3 or Path of Exile.

This. I'd say try Path of Exile first because some prefer it and it's completely free. If it wasn't quite what you were looking for then Grim Dawn probably will be.

Diablo 3 has the best combat when it comes to the feeling, and while Grim Dawn is a cheaper looking, it manages to feel very satisfying to play as well.

youtu.be/XgPgKxg0Z5Y

Some of the mechanics, in particular where and when the flat bonuses from some passives apply, was not explained well and felt kind of obtuse.
Lack of mobility skills except blink strikes kind of sucks, and melee seems horribly, horribly gimped until very high levels. Also I gotta wonder at some of the balancing decisions, like why players have pretty much no access to frostburn/electrocute, and why bleed/poison are so OP

Good for a few playthroughs though, the dual class system made making builds quite fun and the environments, factions and lore were great.
>mfw reading clarity of valor and trip south

yeah the game has a clean UI and your eyes don't bleed looking at the game in general.

one tiny caveat is that the progression isn't really explained. you don't know how vital resistance gear is going to become going into it and once you do realize it, it'll be too late with your build and rep, you'll want to start on a clean slate.

the way progression works in this game is that you're kind of tied to rep gains. you are going to have a really hard time in higher difficulty until you get enough rep to get those salve/augment thingies, you might even need the rep gear they give because of the resist that comes on it.

Melee is very strong the entire game but is more gear dependent than ranged builds Clearing the game as melee is so much faster.

They really shouldn't have nerfed Loghorrean in Normal/Vet.
He was the first boss to really push the resistance thing in the beta.

Those Salve/Augments are the shit. Totally worth grinding the rep for them. Which is at least easier now thanks to bounties.

It's a strange game.

The special effects and graphics are absolute ass, but the skill descriptions and constellations are so fucking juicy to read it makes you want to play with them anyways. For example: Doom Bolt. It's a piddly fucking lightning bolt. Shit effect. Shit sound.

But it's fucking description holy shit

>A bolt of entropic power tears through the fabric of reality to inflict massive damage on any foe it strikes.

And then the description of the Cthon constellation made me go "holy fuck."

It's a beautiful game that is ugly as fuck on the surface with so many builds and ways to make a character that you sort of forget you need fucking resistances + health and die.

Honestly the best ARPG out there unless you crave social interaction, in which case you want PoE.

Absolutely

Someone please explain what the point of Aether damage is because it seems like it's just sort of there

>C'thulu

How did you come to that conclusion? C'thulu is a seafaring alien that wants to help his friends come party on earth and C'thon is more a void god of life, pain, and death. The naming thing is more a coincidence. He has about as much in common with C'thulu as he does with C'thun.

Arcanist has strong aether based spells.

>C'thulu goes into witness protection after agreeing to testify against Hillary Clinton

I'll miss you buddy.

Or just 15-35 hours to beat the game once

>Friend and I played recently
>He made an occultist
>Later respected into Doom Bolt, grabbed all the vitality and chaos damage he could

>He would just refer to it as the "Delete Button"

>Of course the Aetherial plotline just kinda dies off after a while.
Yeah, what was even up with that? It started out like they were the big bads, and then suddenly in Act 3, they're mostly just an annoying little side-enemy to the Cthonians.

but it's only $12 + 6 other random games

Those are all solid choices, but I'd also recommend Path of Exile, It has the best necromancer.

Grim Dawn and Titan Quest have a rather unique multiclass system.

Diablo 1 is a bit more survival horror than the other games, but is highly recommended: Can feel a bit dated though.

Diablo 2 is like the gold standard of these games. You should definitely play through it at least once.

You should look at it the same way you look at zombies in The Walking Dead, the Grim Dawn and the aetherials were a catalyst that broke apart society and ultimately allowed other groups (In TWD's case: Gangs, and in GD's case: Cults) to seize power.

literally not true. i usually fucking hate sacred 2/poe combat and i usually tell people that combat feedback is what they actually got right in d3. But GD is nothing like you described. With the exception of bad melee animations

I wouldn't say the game was rushed but it feels like they settled on this ending just because there was enough content already, but it still feel like something's missing, removing the chtonians will only make the aetherials (which are responsible for everything that happened) even stronger.

Occultist/Demolitionist dual-pistol master race.

I thought the game looked beautiful due to the art style, even though the graphics themselves are not very impressive.

>dual-pistol
>Not going full pyromancer with molotovs and fire mines, grabbing the hellhound and then crafing Conflagration and becoming Iron Man

CHILDHOOD IS IDOLIZING HEALTH

ADULTHOOD IS REALIZING RESISTANCES MADE MORE SENSE

It's literally just warhammer with some light lovecraft on the side

becoming a walking thunderstorm sure was fun

>not coveting both
roflmao'ing at your life kid

So little Aether resistance.

But otherwise noice.

Right, but unlike zombies, the Aetherials have a unified leadership. They have a plan, and the Cthonians are not part of that.

Exactly. Gameplay-wise it's fine, but I'd love to see us at least take down a sort of endgame aetherial boss, just to clean things up. Perhaps a side boss even?

>Light
>5 seconds outside of town you're fighting fish people in a town that ends with -wich

relly makes u think....

oh woops that's a very old pic

There's an aetherial dungeon coming out soon, but it seems that it's still happening on Cairn.

Someone recommend me a good build for my 2nd character. I went in blind on my first build and took whatever, can't do ultimate without getting fucked in the ass cause i have no debuff skills and no gear. Is farming legendaries on elite viable?

Is the melee combat as boring as in titan quest?

It's actually a pretty healthy mix of both

>Is farming legendaries on elite viable?
Yes, 100% viable, some might argue it's even better than Ultimate with how fast stuff dies.

>2h build
>>SAVAGERY
>SAVAGERY
>>SAVAGERY

Become

>UNSTOPPABLE

Ah nice, perhaps the devs noticed too.

It makes sense that it's still in the main world though. The aetherials are like psychic beings after all, you can't "travel" to a place that doesn't exist physically.

So i guess nemesis farming would be best for that? Or should i run BoC/SoT? I can't farm cronleys nemesis unfortunately. i can't get to nemesis status for the faction because i'm too high level for elite and i obviously can't do it on ultimate. Doing bounties for -100 rep would take forever so i'm not gonna do that

You talk to a literal god at one point. Getting your physical self sent to a non-physical plane is not outside the realm of possibility.

Poison Nightblade/Occultist is literally impossible to lose with starting at level 6.
10 points in Occultist to get DEE and Focused Gaze, melt packs at a time with a single press and 0 mana cost on only a 4s cooldown
Vulnerability and Night's Chill dumpster enemy resistances so your poisons can easily reach double damage. Pneumatic Burst with Shadow Dance and Blood of Dreeg provides immortality with huge instant heals and 20% dodge chance. Go all the way to Possession for even more of both damage and immortality.
Clears everything short of the easter egg dungeon, which I haven't tried yet

This game doesn't have double class, does it? So you pick a class, and stick with it

It does have double-class. That is one of its selling points.

Are dual-wielding pure offense builds viable or will I get repeatedly face-wrecked because I can't quite or cower behind a shield? I hate when these kind of games turn into boring quiting cheesefest. Also is there any good mobility moves? I remember one of my favourite skills in TL2 was the one that made you run fast as fuck and lower the armor of enemies you touched, which you could keep using as long as you had mana and which I used all game just to get from point A to point B as fast as possible.

>Any good mobility moves?

No, they exist but the game very clearly shuns the PoE/D3 approach of "move so fast nothing can touch you." You can get speedy, but never super sonic, like whirling blades from PoE.

Also dual-wield pure offense builds are very good but they rely on a lot of procs. The carnage is beautiful though.

Melee or ranged? Ranged can work, but you want to invest in movement speed buffing gear. And abilities that will slow your enemies down.

Then you can hit and run as needed. Though once you have a decent build you can usually mow down waves before they get to you and only Champions and Bosses pose a real problem.

That being said you will be squishy if they manage to close the gap or trap you.

>The carnage is beautiful though.

This. There is nothing more beautiful than seeing masses of enemies exploding before they can get near you.

melee, especially dual-wielding has the highest dps builds in the game.

>tfw trying to kill the aetherial nemesis with a lightning build

>Have to go fight Cthonics with my Wendigo build
>They resist vit damage because they're faggots
>MFW I remember I can't die anyways

based wendigos

with obelisk of menhir and tree of life i can't die but man is it boring to just wait for lighting resist enemies to die

It's in Humble Monthly rn if you wanna get a bunch of other games with it

so I buy the 1 month subscription for 12 bucks and get grim dawn and some other shit?

>running PS lightning build working my way towards vortex of souls/ultos build
>decide to give crucible a whirl
>only had a few times where i was under 50% health because framerate is kill
>level 99
>Valdaran and another elite faggot whos damage is something i have low res to spawns
>can't tank both of them
>can't kite because Valdaran the faggot keeps switcherooing on me
>die
Fuck that faggot

yeah, just cancel the subscription afterwards

Do you like arpg? Then yes

just to clarify, I pay the initial price of $12, then I can immediately cancel the subscription and not be charged again?

One thing I don't like about it is how class mastery goes up to 50 instead of 32, it means you have to put 33 levels into nothing if you want something from both your skill masteries that's high level.

Exactly.

It literally says under settings
>Next Billing Date: Last Friday of October 2016

So just cancel anytime before that

hey man I'm just careful with money ok
thanks for the info

how viable would a flaming dual-wielding axe maniac be?

Not sure how you're going to translate homosexuality in a build, but dual wielding is fine.
You do need one of a few very specific items for dual wielding melee weapons if you're not Nightblade though, so go Nightblade

Here's what you do:

>Nightblade
>Demo
>Firestrike
>As many procs as you can get from the nightblade tree
>As much fire damage as you can muster
>Mortar for good measure
>Maybe even molotovs because fuck armor

Nemeses and dungeons are ok but the best way to farm is to set up a route that goes through a lot of champs and nemesis spawns.

For example:
Old Arkovia Rift > Hannefy Mine > Four Hills > Cronley's Hideout > Twin Falls (all the spots with bees including the hives) > Broken Hills Rift > Arkovian Undercity

Just skip all the trash mobs, there's a big chance you'll meet Fabius and a decent chance at encountering Moosilauke as well, if you see neither, check Arkovian Foothills for Fabius and SoT for Moosilauke.

Melee dual wielding is very strong thanks to Nightblade and its insane damage output, it's a bit lacking on defense though, you have to activeley spaw your Pneumatic Burst every time it's up to stay alive so pick a decent second class that provides you good defense.
I went through HC with a Nightblade/arcanist so that's completely doable, just don't forget about your defenses.

What are the fun classes in grim dawn?

Depends on what you consider fun.

>Arcanist
>Nightblade

Daily reminder that if anyone near you uses either one of these classes, get as far away as possible and warn the authorities before the autism spreads.

This message brought to you by the league of decent classes, and subsequently, decent human beings.

Like i said, i don't have cronleys gang at nemesis status so Fabius won't spawn. I can't get them to nemesis status either since the only place i can farm that negative rep is in ultimate, which i can't do since my build is fucked.

But yeah, that's basically what i was doing before. Was just wondering if any of the dungeons was worth farming or if i should just farm the nemesis of the various factions since they are actually level 75, which would be better if you want the 75 legendaries no?

No reason to play GD now that TQ got the game speed option with the anniversary edition.

for $15, sure. just keep in mind that character building is more enjoyable than the actual gameplay, which becomes an dreadful repetitive slog after a few hours and stays that way all the way to the end

It's worse than TQ Anniversary Edition and it has no future because it picked up an Early Access community that prioritizes conformism and keeping the core game as it is so they remain its kings, while they simply add more content where you do the same shit using the same shit you've done all the time, rather than expanding or improving the core.

Every single thread. God you faggots should just build a time machine and fuck off back to 2006

But Anniversary Edition didn't come out in 2006.

but user, 2016 was 10 years ago

>tfw Cyberpunk 2077 still isn't out

don't worry user, it's gonna be shit anyway

if you going to play with friends - yes. YES.
otherwise, wait for sale. it's an awesome arpg, i love every single minute i spent in it and enjoying it more that when i was playing tq (and i recently replaying tq in new edition, still love that game).

I say pirate the GOG version. It's easy to get the latest patch and DLC with it. Try it out, have your friends try it out, then decide. Because to me, TQ Anniversary is just better and most people (and most of my friends) simply got it for free and have been enjoying it.

It's called a Saboteur, Demo/Nightblade with Fire Strike as your main attack.
Pretty fucking fun and there are some great item procs that fit both the theme and the build.

Islam my thin friend

Everything in Elite except maybe the first Act is worth farming for high level gear.

I pirated it first, played like 75% of the game, then bought it. TQ is good, but once you seen all of it, what the point of playing?

I never understtod why is there so many skills and so few skillpoint in tq\grim dawn. You just cant be effective since you're tearing between master bar, skill point of one class or even two.

Whats the fucking point of having around 20 skills in every tree if you wont use 16 of them? sure, you can spend 1 point in each and can shine with all sorts or auras and cast all the spells you want, but they will be weak and your base stats wont be there to get you through battles and wear best clothes.

Am i playing these games wrong?

Same thing as with GD, either get the best possible gear for your build or start a new character. Or if you haven't, play Hardcore, it's a different kind of playstyle.

Because there's more than one build for each tree, neither in TQ or GD are you supposed to play with a single tree and grab everything because they simply all don't fit into the same build.

That's what i did too, i actually just wanted to see how TQ Anniversary felt with the speed settings and ended up pirating Grim Dawn just to see if it was similar. I now have 135+ hours in GD and i 17hours of TQ anniversary.

TQ Anniversary just felt too outdated compared to GD

So, how do i play it then?
Describe a good way to build your vcharacter using 3 skillpoints per level if you are about to use 2 classes. If you can, post some screenshots.
Seriously, maybe its my inner munchkin, but id rather be good in one thing that somewhat decent in two.

grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36808

there, enjoy

>my build is fucked
Wow, shouldn't there be a game designer to prevent things like that from happening? I thought we got past that in system shock.

There are a lot of different ways to go about this.

I'd suggest to invest into a single class until at least level 10 or something, grab a spammable skill and maybe another skill, either burst or cc and from this point, start looking for a defensive skill either in your current tree or another and go for it. These are two things you will always need in every build: a spammable skill and a defensive ones, the rest is just filler, either burst, cc or debuff.

Another way to go for picking a second class is to look for damage types, for exmaple, Demo does a shitload of Fire and lot of Lightning, so Arcanist is really good since it has a amazing elemental damage buffs, and Shaman does insane lightning damage with great defensive buffs.

Just invest into stuff that makes sense, either it compliments your damage type or it fits into your build's playstyle.

Alternatively, just llok at a few builds on the forums, some of them have some kind of roadmap so it can help give you some idea on how to start.

It's always been a thing with arpgs though, the first 2 difficulties you can usually get past with whatever build and whatever gear, the last difficulty always requires some thought and planning into your build and some choice gear

It's not that bad in GD, you can have a good build with shit gear and do great, and a shit build can always be turned into something else at any moment or carried by gear.

>Main enemy is supposed to be Aetherials
>Cthon out of nowhere steals finale

>the last difficulty always requires some thought and planning into your build and some choice gear
aka grinding

No shit user, it's an arpg. You'd be retarded if you didn't expect that

Both Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 are better

Well yeah, i see now.
Still, most of there builds assume you have to get at least ot level 60 and that takes time. But i understand, so thanks.

Thanks.
And in addition to my reply to I usually play games on my own, i dont seek for guides or help, maybe im missing something by doing so, its just the thought of looking for pre-built characters never crossed my mind, its like somebodys telling me how to play the game when im not asking for it.

Now i asked for it.

most of the builds will use 1 class as a main for damage and the other class will mostly just be for support stuff, like auras, passives, debuffs and such. Not to mention you need to put points in two classes for that extra physique/cunning/spirit/hp/energy

Diablo 3 is a bad game and torchligt just missing something, there is no deep in it.

>Diablo 3 is a bad game

If its good, tell me, why is there no diablo general right now in vg?

not him but blizzard stopped adding new content, if they released another full dlc like RoS then there would be

Why is there no torchlight general? Why is there no grim dawn general? Is Diablo 2 also a bad game because there's no general for it?

how viable is a 2 handed battlemage?

yes

Just as expected, you start switching to other games when question was clearly about diablo 3. THere is no point arguing with you furthermore, you lost it there.

Van Helsing final cut is really solid if you want single player only

>uber awesome omega super default attack+
>spammable aoe
Literally every class. Very few of the abilities are even remotely interesting.

OPs pic is Grim Dawn not TQ dipshit

>imply grim dawn isn't just a grimdark standalone expansion
Pretty much the only thing differentiating the classes in grim dawn is whether most of their abilities are melee or ranged.

so you played through the first act as a warder and now you think you know everything about the game?

I'm so totally surprised.

isn't the third game shit ? I enjoy the first two but the review for the last game made me stay away from it.

Looks like we have a assblasted fanboy here. Sorry you have such terrible taste in games.

The Final Cut overhauled everything, so the third game doesn't have the problems the vanilla version did. I tried it, too, when I bought the Final Cut on gog it gave me van helsing 1, 2, and 3 separately. It's a really seamless combination of all three games into one really long campaign. If you find you like the setting and characters really quickly then I guarantee you'll like the whole game all the way to the end.

tl:dr they fixed it in the final cut completely