What weapon do you consider underrepresented in video games?

What weapon do you consider underrepresented in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halberd
youtube.com/watch?v=Os9q0VUIn9M
youtube.com/watch?v=vkKopRpY8Mw
full30.com/video/30a1f036a5143172f5da39cf50f46360
youtube.com/watch?v=MP-RRubj9fU
youtube.com/watch?v=JC0C41KX8RY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I demand more chakrams.

fukken whip

Tomahawks

Glaives

Need me some wonky physics based flails

castlevania?

Are you -really- sure about that?

A civilized (stupid) weapon from a more civilized (smog-covered) age.

I fucking love the cousin of this thing in Bloodborne.

Don't know how wonky they'll be, but from what I saw For Honor might have fairly satisfying flails for once.

Swords

Katanas

Whassa katana wit you?

this
It should've been more powerful in BB.

Is that a KHOPESH?

I like old firearms from 16th - 17th century

More of that.

Mechas?

No?

the european longsword

Halberds, lots of them. It's almost funny how underrepresented they are in renaissance settings. Considering their wide range of uses: Like fighting other pikeman at distance, repelling cavalry and using the sharp point to penetrate armor.

But are they fukken whips?

No, it's a Halberd. There's different variations, but the simple blade variation is my favorite. Though axe ones are pretty awesome too.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halberd

Why do they look so much better than modern firearms?

No but i suppose i wouldn't mind that either.

because you're used to the look of modern firearms and glorify things you aren't familiar with

If you are talking about realistic warhammers specifically then yes, if you are just talking about blunt weapons the they are only fucked over in Souls Shit

Artillery.

Strike weapons are OP as fuck in 2.

dinky, babby guns

Pint sized warhammers look fucking gay.

A FUCKING STICK.

What the fuck that gun's huge! Its like eight times the size of Thomas Jefferson there!

Yes, a war hammer with a head that is realistically tiny rather than oversized.

Though I do have a fondness for the massive hammers in games like World of Warcraft.

It's not about how OP they are you powergaming autist it's about variety and representation

There are 2 non animu or silly shit strike weapons in Dark Souls 2 compared to the 3 billion types of swords.

>LE

fuck off

>Go on epic quest
>Slay The Dragon
>Oh Yissssssss time for loot
>Legendary Stick

Hey, man, you don't have to come at my neck like that.

You are new here, aren't you ?

Well if 10,000 Marines break stick then you have two stick

Stick always wins

What the other guy plus making one took an incredible amount of artisanal experience and thus it wasn't shit out of a taurus factory by a blind-drunk Brazilian stamping metal and cheap plastic carrier bags with his gargantuan ass.

A decent woodblank is required, each metal part has been forged by a metalsmith who probably spends his life doing this shitty job. The various locking mechanisms used (especially the bastard-child wheel lock, which was like an early ancestor to kraut space magic) were bleeding-edge.

A modern gun definitely sits at the forefront of our technology in terms of safety mechanisms, capacity and ballistics, but the methods of construction are now dated 1950s plastics and stamped metal ideas from the victorian period, using a firearm design that hasn't actually fucking changed since the introduction of cartridges.

Tl;DR Guns were designed by experts who took time to make them. modern guns are still designed by experts, but use dated techniques and focus primarily on quick production and uniformity, not artisanal quality.

The maces in Dragon's Dogma look great

What if I burn stick?

If i didn't want to vent my frustrations by sperging out at random strangers over nothing i wouldn't be on Cred Forums

the ironing

the stick becomes more deadly.

Stick always wins

Fire stick.
Does double damage.

OH shit, uh, what happens if I freeze the stick then?

tri staffs
bo staffs
pile bunkers
nunchunks
flails
decapitator hats

War Scythes.

Practicable and doesn't scream EDGY like Scythe that have been used by your dark animu or Grim Reaper-related.

I like me some curved swords other than scimitars, falchions, and katanas.

I'm playing Bloodborne for the first time and just came across this baby. Are you saying it's bad or something? I've been looking for a replacement to the saw spear.

man, frozen sticks are more deadly

Can't lick stick anymore, tongue gets stuck.

Fucking flails. Always wanted to make a "what games feature flails" thread.

It's better than the spear, but i still think it's hard to get used to after using the better weapons in the game.

>Oh this? don't worry m'lord I'm just here to clean yer gutters heh heh.
>u wot m8 this isn't a weapon avin a laff.

flying guillotines

Jesus christ this thing is unstoppable, well what happens if I atomize the damn thing, reduce it to its individual fucking elements?

A war scythe was usually just a peasant's scythe that had the blade re-fastened to be parallel with the hilt.

Popsicle, stick always wins

I'm sorry, what?

you just made a billion tiny sticks you idiot

Plenty of old cRPGs had those. But in modern ones, they always keep saying it's too hard to animate (along with spears). :/

Sticks returns to the earth, trees grow, infinite sticks.
No dreams, no escape, only sticks now.

[chink in armor joke here]

That would be pretty cool.

>"You call that a knoife?"

Fuck
What would happen if I blew up the entire world and left only the stick with nothing to fight?

There really needs to be more games about that wacky era where guns first started showing up and people's solution was to load up on more armor.

Basically anything not swords

He's talking about the Pilebunker.

The most impractical, idiotic, awkward and yet fucking awesome weapon ever:

youtube.com/watch?v=Os9q0VUIn9M

it's called a pilebunker/pile bunker and those things are bad ass, the only game i remember playing that has em is CHROMEHOUNDS (and guilty gear since slayer has a move called pilebunker that works sort of like how one would function)

Fists, while there are many games where fist fighting is an option in many games they are not a viable weapon, I would very much like to viably use fists in dragons dogma, or any dark souls game other than two(which they are viable with conquers ring and even better with that offhand weapon that lets you do the jumping double kick thing) just as an example.

Spiked/weapon gauntlets OR karambits/knuckle dusters etc, this allows developers to balance fists more easily because they are now affected by gear like every other weapon. Karate headbands or pendants that give you "martial skills" or some bullshit like that is also acceptable for balance but weapon gauntlets can also be really cool.

Bladed wristbands, imagine wonder woman's bracers with a large curved blade going outwards curving back towards their body.

These weapons are not very effective in real life, however in games that isn't an issue, they look really nice and they can suspend your disbelief fairly easily in a games that arn't specifically meant to be realistic.

This isn't what the thread asked but I also think twinblades like illidans war glaives for example are slightly overused, at least in comparison to other rare weapons.

Sounds like the stick has won

Im reduced to Table Top RPG for my flail fetish. Currently running a warpriest in full plate and tower shield with one of these badboys. Such satisfaction when I bludgeon someone into submission.

ah yes the metal throwing anus

stick has won

what anime is this?

Too big and goofy looking.

The head of the warhammer should be small, same goes for maces.

I remember Armored Core Verdict Day had the pilebunker in it too.

stick wins

Lances seem very underrepresented compared to their historical importance.

Pilebunkers show up in a lot of Mecha games thankfully.

Here's one in front mission

wtf nigga
just kill the guy holding the stick

Steven Universe

stick is sentient, all youve done is remove its inhibitor(the guy)

Cannons. Big 17th century fuckoff cannons that go boom. I dunno how you'd integratr them into a game though.

votoms

Robotech III: The Roller Wars Saga

Stick falls to the ground and you trip on it and die.

thanks user

Probably the most practical nonlethal build weapon Ive found thus far.

I was always wanted these in PSO

>nonlethal

oh your group must love you

ayy came here to see this

Tried Titan Quest? Even if in the end they're just numbers in a game I like the selection of weapons in it.

This is the stupidest shit i have ever seen.

>Warriors in ancient China may have been skilled in leaping

I remember before Dark Souls came out there were rumors about the CUHRAZY weapons that would be in it, some anons said this was in it, literally 'that kid' tier shit

I'm mostly tanky mctankerson. Managed to squeeze out an AC of 28 at level 5 with just m/w gear. But i still smash shit to death as nessicary, im actively trying to be reasonable about it.

>Muh realism

No wonder chinese went extinct

Diablo 3 has flails

For Honor will have flails

>so few games with satisfying revolvers
>literally no games with satisfying flails
>ZERO games with interesting spear combat

>Not wanting to beat in somethings head with a dainty mace.

Seriously, this is the only right answer in the entire thread.

Not that other weapons are under-represented mind you...its just that when a Halberd is placed into a game its rarely given the treatment it should be given.

Halberds were the pinnacle of the non gun arms race. Literally the best non-gunpowder weapon we have ever produced but games usually shit all over them because of "game balance." Can't have a weapon with a fuck long reach doing more damage then every other weapon, I guess.

>Muh ugly overly embellished garbage
Stick to Warhammer kid.

horns
plenty of games have claws and stuff but I can't think of anything that lets you impale enemies on your huge horn

it's funny af to do well with this weapon on chivalry.

That and two-handed hammers that have a head that's not the size of a small child.

Just 4 guys with halberds doing the poke and chop is fucking terrifying. I can understand why game designers avoid them.
Are there satisfying halberds in total warhammer?

They are literally not over designed you fucking autist

How about you stick to your Kebab Jank Simulator instead?

I remember when Ninjas with shurikens and nunchaku were the epitome of badassery.

all you need is kill really sold me on the stakedriver / piledriver weapons. but also giant battle axes.

Heck yeah, i loved this manga. The suits are sexy as fuck.

Fuck even just one guy who's really trained with a halberd is terrifying. They may be the peasant weapon due to how easy they are to use, but they are deadly as fuck the better you get at wielding them.

Because the wood makes it look fancy to you and modern small arms are either auto-loaders or possess some complexity that limits how much wood can realistically be incorporated into the weapon.

>They are literally not over designed
Stick to warhammer kid.

>triple barrelled
>2 barrels carry 40 gauge
>third barrel is a pistol
>detabable buttstock doubled as a machete
>only given to Russian Cosmonauts

Don't play many shooters but has been any game that's utilised this awesome as fuck weapon?

He may have been talking about Dragon's Dogma maces.

the ending was such shit

Closet i can think of was Killzone 1, the Helghast AR had a single shot shotgun "surprise". If you turned off automatic reloading it made for an insanely effective weapon. Caused to me slap underbarrel shotgun attachments on every gun I could for every other game i play.

The M4 carbine. Literally the best rifle but all revelant games just feature "hip" special-snowflake-weapons.

>were

Are.

One of the few series with Whips.
Souls has them, but since the combat system has no grappling or disarming, its sorta shit

Naruto took it down a notch, but they are fine now.

Oh god, KZ's alternative fires were so cool. My favorite remains the shotgun's: TWO fucking rounds at once in the face

It's a fucking glaive.

where else can I find spring loaded daggers with metal wires?

Spears. Especially with how common they actually were when they were a thing irl

Whaaat? The chaingun with an underbarrel ANTI TANK ROCKET LAUNCHER doesnt make the list? Seriously what the fuck happened to Killzone 2 onward. I just turned into generic shooter in space #67

Anything with fire in general, they allways suck

>flamethrowers usually deal damage over time and too little of it
>usually have abysmal range

also
>no games with flamespitters

Pikes, Halberds, Spears and Polearms in general are massively underrepresented for how important they were

probably because swords took a lot of training to use well, and could do pretty much everything 'ok', so anime characters love them

Automatic weapons that aren't shit.

But it's not.

He was talking about the dragons dogma blunt weapons, they just have a like 30% up scaled head.

You'll barely see a modern game with one. And the moment you see one, it's represented as a skill instead of a weapon

>best rifle
>has trouble with sand, water, mud, dirt
It's better about this than its predecessor, the M16, but it will jam, break the upper, or misfire if it comes in contact with that.
It's only using a 5.56 round which is not large in the rifle world, the AK uses a 7.62mm which is enormous by comparison.

I use my AR15 Sport rifle for small game hunting(pigs, hares, etc)
Tried it for squirrels once, not sure what I expected looking back, but I won't be doing that again, brought my 22 that day as well so it wasn't a total loss.

Old guns.

And my biggest gripe with them that they tend to be shit in many of the games that they are in.

My nigga.

But god damn there aren't any notable spears in any mythology or religion or historical pieces that aren't the Lance of Longinus or Gungnir

And I'm talking about SPEARS. Not poleaxes, halberds, glaives, staves, lances, and tridents.

Asian mythology is filled with glaive-like weapons, Europe is filled with halberds and lances, and the Mediterranean is filled with tridents.

I want to see pointy rods and pike-like weapons. Not that other shit.

>He fell for the fully automatic meme
lol

Dcss has horns mutation that grants an extra free attack (and limits/negates head equipment)

youtube.com/watch?v=vkKopRpY8Mw
SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING
VERY VERY FRIGHTENING ME

It's a damn shame

Rapiers
I want a game that does fencing right

rapiers
elegant and deadly

Nigga that's a guandao

I love it from a design standpoint but it's just not a good rifle

played bf vietnam with this weapon all the time

XM8. I just love the design. Thankfully it is kinda common in vidya nowadays.

>>
my nocturnean, I see you're also a man of patrician taste

>tfw incendiaries are relegated to area denial duty if they appear at all

only in battlefield bad company for as far as i know

This is the most retarded shit ever.

This is, pound for pound and for the same swinging force, the most devastating melee weapon. The physics checks out applying the most leverage into the smallest possible area when it hits, there's literally nothing that can stand up to a Warpick but get penetrated by some other melee weapon.

Well, they jump good.

obviously

How good is this game?

Haven't seen this pasta before.

The issue with war-picks is edge alignment, a problem that is solved with a mace. Which is also objectively a superior weapon for armoured combat

i saw that

es Armored Trooper Votoms

They also sometimes go stuck in the tin can man you brought it down on. Esspecially if it came down through the plates around the gorget and breastplate. Cunts still fucked, but on the field yoir missing a weapon after.

Nioh has fantastic spear action

Still too large contact area to be effective.

>tfw the last instance of cool spearfighting in popular culture I can remember was oberyn martell in game of thrones

Estoc and his best friend Main Gauge

It's bigger and heavier you fucking autist.

A Sledgehammer is effect despite having a large contact area you fucking retard. Realism fags are a fucking retarded scourge.

Some Witch King tier shit
I swapped to Mystic Knight, saw that shield on my back and those ridiculous maces, and instantly swapped back.

Im still waiting for a mod to fix the shields, you can still use swords though.

the estoc is a two handed weapon

Except it is. You even linked the wikipedia page for halberds which is not that.

I'm missing game mechanics that work around the inherent deadliness of guns in the first place. Not lacking variety at all.

I'm convinced that it's a bug and it was only supposed to be like that in towns or when you don't have your weapon out. The shield just teleports to your arm when you block.
If it isn't, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

my niggas

Strangely enough, cannons and other man-manned artillery.

They were really satisfying in Napoleon MB, where you and a team of other blokes had to keep reloading and firing the cannon. It took a long time to set up, but that made it all the better when you managed to get 8 kills at once with a single canister of birdshot.

>Make a thread about anything related to bladed weapons.
>Polefags come in droves babbling about historical relevance.

Spears.

Doesn't the faggot from ToS2 have this?

Torchlight II has an entire weapon type devoted to exactly what you're talking about. Claw Weapons are useless on most classes but are absolutely essential for a Berserker, and let me tell you there are some really fucking cool unique claws in that game.

I had two of these fuckers at one point. Literally Hulk Hands.

FFXIV has these, unfortunately they arnt quite the same due to engine reasons.

How so? Last FF I played was XII I think, so wouldn't know about engine.
Can't block?

Polearms
Plus points if they aren't just 2h swords/axes that look different

this looks retarded, why doesn't any games have them?

Its an MMO mang

It's not a bug, it's them not being too fucking lazy and just copy pasting the fighter animations for MK. I imagine there would be all sorts of clipping issues if they held the shield.

I don't think it was artistic choice seeing as all the enemies who use them hold their shield properly and looks much better for it.

>Doubting the stick

>this looks retarded

I think you found your answer user. though if any game had that i'd use it for the whole playthrough

That looks like a katar with a gauntlet shield. I'm not entirely sure that ever existed, but I'm retarded so who knows.

what is that?
a puppet anime?

Sweet jesus

I watched two episodes, is the story worth continuing?

I don't know, I mained the halberd in Baldur's Gate and Dark Souls, and in both cases it's portrayed as the top tier weapon it is.

Dark Souls

too bad they're shit

it actually existed. I see it in /mbg/ thread couple days ago. I didn't save the pic though.

XD

Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword

>Tfw want to use those in Diablo II but usually they're trash.
They were so satisfying to use.

Actually, Twilight Princess is the only game I can think of with a proper player usable flail.

It's fun and the action is top notch
If you liked what you saw, then you'll get more of it.
Yes

well then post the name

>>has trouble with sand, water, mud, dirt

>muh mud
>muh AK never jams, muh AR always jams

nice fuddlore

full30.com/video/30a1f036a5143172f5da39cf50f46360

I'd love to see some more yataghans.
Use metadata

wan mo speear

The only game I can think of that has flying guillotines is Soulbringer and it made decent use of the engine but you only get them after the ultimate sword so I doubt you'd find any real use for it...

youtube.com/watch?v=MP-RRubj9fU

War hammers is what plate-clad knights should be carrying in vidya. Not swords.

That's because few games do mounted combat, and even fewer do it halfway decent

Has there been a Flying Guillotine in any fucking video game?
Hell the thing isn't even in enough movies.

They probably saw the Moonlight Butterfly Shield and misinterpreted, that's all.

Swords of Justice.

Just given how prevalent they were in actual warfare, spears are criminally underrepresented in games.

Stream that movie if you're so great

>I imagine there would be all sorts of clipping issues if they held the shield.
You mean like the terrible clipping issues when they have it on their back?

For Honor has flails, still not out yet though.

polearms

Why doesn't it have a pointy bit? What purpose would a blunt end serve?

Genuine question.

Its tool for cutting, not stabbing like normal swords.

Those swords could be put in a resting manner in the floor, they primary use was to chop one's head off, like an axe, but with more area.

steven no

Even when spears are represented they are generally inferior to the other weapons you can choose from.

I just want a game where I can use a spear, sword, mace, and bow/crossbow as a knight. Any recommendations?

their non stab game isnt THAT good

once a person gets in, its hard to kick em out

Anno Domini 1257 mod for Mount and Blade. You wont be able to use all those weapons at once for your equipment.

Kingdoms of amalur

what game?

I always found any excuse to use that when I played TP.

Exanima, its still in early access but its still worth getting price relative to the amount of content already put in.

Drunken combat

still no tripping and body blows edition

It was pretty good for combat wasn't it? I mean even after the temple.

what game was this again?

and I thought halberds were a meme

Halberds are a meme

the AI is pretty stupid most of the time

that's a poleaxe/pollaxe

Abandonware: Never Ever.

One of the strongest one handed blades in enderal is literally this

I guess but I think the sword just got the job done much better. Although I haven't played since it came out so I don't remember too well.

funny but i still didn't get the title

gattling guns that shoot instantly and deal high bullet per damage and without shitty recoil

testicle zappers and vomit inducing non lethal weapons

>high bullet per damage

Read the thread dumbposter

It sucks in exanima

Dark souls 3

No, i mean worse then that.

I fucking hate the shield on back horseshit but there's nothing i can do about it besides not playing that vocation. I'm just trying to guess why it's that way

I seriously doubt it since fighter doesn't have any clipping issues with his shields that come close to shield + cape, and clipping happening in front of the character instead of behind him where the camera is most of the time is less noticeable.

How much did FN pay that show to shill the P-90 so much?

Nothing, its just a good weapon

Though there are only few hammers without spikes and blades which would fit in a blacksmith themed outfit.
The most recent one was the Pit Lord's Destroyer, and that was from Cata

Arqebuses and muskets. There really is a lack of RPGs and what not out there that have a more later medieval setting with crude firearms as part of the arsenal. Glad to see Nioh is giving it some love.

Yeah and fighter shields are half or less the size of a MK shield and are permanently attached to the arm.

Final Fantasy 12 did crude guns and cannons justice.

What would that extra size clip with?
What does it clip with when using the shields as a MK?

Yes, please this. And I mean go really weird. I'm talking katar with guns strapped to them weird.

Acid or pepperspray.
Injections with hemotoxic/neurotoxic venom.

Trapdoor rifles need love too.
Old firearms in vidya are always flintlocks but with magical reload speeds and ever since Dishonored the Iron century has entered the developers minds and might just get a chance to shine

youtube.com/watch?v=JC0C41KX8RY

>not wanting a spear, an axe, and a pick in one weapon

I just had one for breakfast

Do you prefer your brains medium rare or well done? I'm more the well done kind of guy

I prefer well scared actually. I find that prolonging the person's agony sweetens the brain juice

This. We need wheellocks, snaphaunces, matchlock and all those other weird mechanisms they invented during the XVI and XVII centuries.
Vidya set in fantasy that also feature firearms always have flintlocks, which were a XVIII century innovation

My brain must be delicious then

Need to try that out sometime.

I feel like historical accurate weaponry in general is either rarely represented, or too often treated as beginner level gear that you're expected to toss away the first chance you get.

>t. no guns

Exanima's got you covered senpai, GOAT option against plate armor

It's called a lantern shield. It's not seen in vidya because it was a fencing weapon used pretty much only in Renaissance Italy

Monster Hunter, my dude.
shit they've even got a lance that explodes

warhammer has an entire franchise dumbass

I would love to flail some motherfucker and see his corpse ragdoll. Flails are potentially the most satisfying melee weapon in vidya but noo instead AS ALWAYS we have overpowered as fuck swords
>dude they are not as damaging as axes and maces lmao
>except their crit chance or other bullshit they always have which offsets it
>except their higher DPS

FUCK YOU swordfags you pretty much ruined vidya if you own a sword IRL I hope you will get AIDS you stupid fucking bitch same to all revolverfags just blow your heads off you whores

Uses armor piercing rounds. High capacity magazine that is easy to load. Nearly jam proof. It shills itself.

There never were flails like this you uneducated amerishart the actual combat flails weren't much different from the farming ones. Pic related.

>pauldrons so large they block user's vision
>absurdly large axe heads

not overly designed at all

based canes, came to say that.

That was one thing I absolutely loved about PoE.

Simply because they are boring.

How the fuck do I get good at this game?

isnt it basically just a g36 with a bodymod though?

Get some fucking reading comprehension you literal mongoloid, i was talking about Dragon's Dogma

AK-74 is always overshadowed by Meme - 47.

They look like they are drunk.

*tips fedora*

it would have been easier for you to just post the name than be an asshole.

Niginta

Spears and lances

My Nigga!

Teach a man to fish and all that, you know how it goes.

>halo goes meelee.jpg

Teach a man to fish and he'll fuck your wife
Give a man a fish and he'll fuck the fish

Korobov's magnificient abominations.

desu I just demand more xena

that's poor design (unless you like the style) not over design
as for weapons, I'd like monster body parts that aren't teeth

You move the grip back towards the stock to where the serial is, then put a for grip at the front, this thing would actually be pretty fucking dope.

fucking Spears

Blunt weapons were godlike in D2. They had that sexy implicit 50% bonus damage against undead.