So now that the dust has settled, was "Henry" right?

So now that the dust has settled, was "Henry" right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E6UhkHRF_3Q
youtu.be/cKXbvXIT7t4?t=230
youtube.com/watch?v=Aa-tn6xWlYg
youtu.be/IhlBrVaK7DU
shmuplations.com/mario64/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unironically yes, simply because the controls say

Press A = Jump

If you pressed and Mario responded to the command then it is a full press. While the whole QPU shit is true, the title of the video is wrong

But the action of the press never happened during the particular level. And this has some significance for doing a run with minimal A presses. Thus he made a distinction.

saying the level requires 1 A press, and saying it requires 0.5 A presses are both right. 0.5 is just more specific.

It's just a case of "what he says vs. what i see"

Either you pressed A and you are holding the button (Which is a different action), or you aren't pressing at all

Like unironically, jokes aside, memes aside, i think the base for all of this is wrong, you can't say "A press is what i say it is", there is no in-between state when it comes to pressing

Say "what is a half-press" to an engineer and watch him laugh at you

Yes.

If you press the A button and send a signal to the console that the A button was pressed, you pressed the button. It doesn't matter if you're holding A down or not.

He's just too autistic to say he did it in one A press and has to do 0.5 to look special

Yes, but that signal happens BEFORE the player enters the course, which is outside the challenge.

Yes

No

Sure, why not? Let the little autist get his 0 A Presses run of SM64 so he can stop posting twenty minute user submitted idea videos and he can finally release the whole thing in its entirety.

But that doesn't mean that the button was pressed any less than fully. It would have been more clear and more accurate to have said that the A button was held during the course.

>I am going to willingly ignore the context beyond the small section I want to view and you're all wrong for not doing likewise.

He literally fucking states in the video that it'd be a full a press if you were talking about just that level. It's "half" an A press because it's only the full game run he cares about, where you don't need to press A for that level.

>Say "what is a half-press" to an engineer and watch him laugh at you
Doesn't he literally teach computer engineering?
No, you retard. The level does require A to be pressed. In a single level run the level has 1 A press involved.

I thought he was pretty clear.

For the single stage, such as the video, it's an A press. For a full run it's not a "full" a press as it would allow you to press A elsewhere and keep it held until this stage. Over the course of the full game a 0.5 press wont add the the A press counter.

no. by henry's own logic, then what kekoponetic does adds ZERO (0) A presses to the run.
kek penalizes himself half a point because he feels taking advantage of what you can do while holding down the A button is an iffy thing. but in the end he's still just doing a jump and never letting go of the A button until the next time he actually has to jump.
people argue about if the result should be .5 A presses or 1 A press but that's just not the situation. the situation is 'If I do a jump, and keep holding the button so I can glide/whatever later on, does that count as 1 A Press or 2?' to which Kek concluded 'I'll count that as 1.5'

Neither are right. If you go by Pan's logic that an A press is in 3 parts, then it's actually a 66.6% A press

Did you even watch the video?

He acknowledged that

Then he is literally moving the goalposts just to use that retarded title

And even then, he is still wrong, the button is being pressed outside and inside the level. Would you say i beat Green hill Zone with x0.5 right d-pad presses because i held it down before entering the stage? Fuck off

This is the kind of shit that you make up when you have nothing to do

Is this some sort of meta-bait where you disprove someone by posting your own falsehoods?

Yes, he is literally moving the goalposts, he admitted to that. The goalposts are moving between a single level context and a full game context. That is literally why it is 0.5 A presses, to indicate that it is 1 A press to complete the level, but doesn't add an A press to completing the entire game.

>Would you say i beat Green hill Zone with x0.5 right d-pad presses because i held it down before entering the stage?
Of course not, but I also wouldn't say you needed to press right on the D-Pad to beat if you were still holding right on the d-pad from an earlier level.

How do you be this ignorant?

The fact that everyone is arguing about a niche 'speedrunner' who uses a handicap while using extremely broken techniques and TAS in a 20 YEAR OLD GAME is fucking amazing.

Like don't get me wrong, I really like pannenkeok, all his videos are really entertaining.

But it's the fact that a 20 year old game, that has been completely dismantled by people who simply want to play it faster while simultaneously breaking it, spurns this much conversation it really something.

I think it's half a press, but I can easily see why it wouldn't be. Everyone is right and it's just opinions.

>Speedrunner

Speedrunners don't take 12 hours for one level.

That's why I used parantheticals around it.

>66.6+33.3=100

What did mathematicians mean by this?

>But it's the fact that a 20 year old game, that has been completely dismantled by people who simply want to play it faster while simultaneously breaking it, spurns this much conversation it really something.

If at all it tells us in what a sad state games are these days.
Mario 64 was a jump into a new dimension. Literally. Giving options and experiences never had before (and partially never to be had again).
I'd love to see games getting that power back they had back in the 90s.

>.9999 repeating = 1
wtf

I'd just love a new parkour game that uses anything near the level of platforming shit that's in mario 64. Wall jumps, triple jumps, backflips, sliding, whatever the fuck else.

I just want a good parkour game that isn't first person or doesn't play like a skating game.

daily reminder that TAS is autism and if you can't do in the real hardware you are wasting time

only if you use a limit
or if you're referring to any real-life applications (statistics, measurements, etc.)

why does he call it a 0 A press run when it would be much less contentious and more interesting to call it a jump-less run

when you hear 0 A press or 0.5 A press run you just think "wait wtf does that mean", when you hear jumpless run you think "woah how do you beat a platformer without jumping, that's pretty cool"

Well, you can jump with B and he regularly does it.

Care to elaborate on that? How is it "autistic" to use tools to plan a perfect speedrun, but playing a game 50000 times is not?

This. "0.5 press" is a means of notation that allows you to easily add up the total presses required in a run. If you play a single 0.5 level, you have to press the button down at some point so it'll be a 1-press run. If you play two 0.5 levels back-to-back, it's still going to be a 1-press run overall because you have to press it in one of the levels, but can then keep it held down for the other level.

It's a useful notation to add up the full-game # of presses. He explains this in painful detail but you guys get so fixated on the nature of how the button works or some dumb shit.

Kind of. A "half-press" really is different mechanically, but it still seem to defeat the purpose (whatever that is) of a no A press run if you're pressing A and it "doesn't count" because you did the first half of it outside the level.

>parantheticals
I'm fucking triggered

Because A is used for more things than jumping and there are more ways to jump than just A.

Or rather, you'd have to have literally no idea what Super Mario 64 or Mario in general is if you don't immediately understand why not being able to press A is important. The opinions of those people are irrelevant -- it's not like they would ever subscribe or even watch the videos.

The A button can do other things besides jumping.

What the fuck are you talking about

0.999... is not some sequence you can take a limit of, it is an exact value which is exactly equivalent to 1.

x = 0.999...
10x = 9.999...
10x - x = 9x = 9.99... - 0.999... = 9
x = 1

Pannenkoek was only wrong in his choice of notation; the description he put for every 0.5xA video was painfully clear so Henry has no excuse for being so retarded, but the entire issue could have been avoided in the first place with different terminology ("HA" for "held A" for example). Not only is the term "0.5xA" not immediately obvious thus requiring explanation, it is actually worse -- it's misleading. The button is not being literally pressed half a time nor is half a press ever added to the total count so to the casual observer you just look like an autistic retard for using it.

Recurring you fucking mongo

Are there any forced A presses in the game outside of the platforming? Like selecting the game file or advancing some text?

>nor is half a press ever added to the total count
It is if you have multiple 0.5 levels in a full-game run. That's the whole reason for it, to make adding up the required A presses easier.

That can all be done with start or B. The only A press left in the 70 star run is getting off a fucking pole in one of the Bowser levels.

This is just as big of a meme as proving 1 = 2
a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 + a^2 = a^2 + ab
2a^2 = a^2 + ab
2a^2 - 2ab = a^2 + ab - 2ab
2a^2 - 2ab = a^2 - ab
2(a^2 - ab) = 1(a^2 - ab)
2 = 1
>B-BUT I WROTE OUT THE PROCEDURE SO IT'S RIGHT!!!!!

>inb4 50/50fags

Its the pole transferring to the 2nd level cage in the 2nd bowser level.

No. You could do literally 100 0.5 A press levels in a row and add one (1) A press to the count as long as you held A through the entire thing.

If you could add 0.5 to the total, then you are admitting that it is, in fact, possible to physically press a button halfway. You fuckers who pretend to understand the video are worse than Henry.

You divided by 0, you git.

Henry knows what's up. It's not half a press and calling it half a press is retarded.

That's like calling 10 half a 1000.

youtube.com/watch?v=E6UhkHRF_3Q

Will Pannenkoek ever get past that pole?

Your simplifying wrong.
If
a=b
2(a^2 - ab) = 1(a^2 - ab)
then
2(0)=1(0)

0=0

>I copied some shit from somewhere that tires to hide that you divide by 0 so I can shitpost with it

I bet you get bullied

Huh... I guess you're right. It didn't occur to me that you could hold it the entire time, I thought a release had to happen somewhere.

wtf I hate 0.5 A presses now

If the game can detect its released inside that instance, it loaded/knows it was pressed on entry to that instance.

Logically, thats the same as having pressed it once inside. One way or another, when that level loaded, it DETECTED--- A was pressed down.

base ten is great for lots of stuff but can't handle thirds in a reasonable manner

It's a fucking average you piece of shit.

You do a level with 1 A press, then hold it. You do another level with the held A. How many additional A presses did the second level require?

Are you fucking dumb? How does 9x = 9?

Substituting the value in for x, the left hand side becomes 9 * 0.999... , which does not even come close to equaling 9, relatively speaking

Stay in school kiddo

Is there a system that can handle thirds?

base 3, naturally. base 9 works too. some people will say base 6 but they don't know what they're talking about

>Bland
>Unbelievable concept
>Obvious, outdated phrases i.e. kiddo

0/10 troll attempt

>it's a "Cred Forums talking about mathematic" episode

Think about it. Lets say you held A the entire time through both levels.

When the game loads the level it checks if A is "pressed"

You have effectively pressed it twice now by doing 2 levels, as far as the game is decided. The game decides when its pressed, not your conscience.

doesn't change the fact that you were spouting bullshit

You got me

I don't know user, his evidence looked pretty solid to me.

""""""""""Henry"""""""""" and Pancake were both right. On one hand, an A press is an A press and for the most part doesn't really matter if you play Mario 64 like it was intended. For the A press challenge, it really is incredible to see what you can do without performing normal jumps and holding the button from outside the level doesn't really count as an A press, despite receiving benefits from holding the button

Middle school math is beyond some people. But it's alright, I'm sure when you start Algebra classes in a few years it won't be so bad, I promise ;)

>When the game loads the level it checks if A is "pressed"
If the game were to check whether A was pressed in the second level, it would be checking whether the state of the A button had changed from off to on. If so, it would try to move Mario's position consistent with the jump arc. If you merely held the A button in the second level, the check to see whether A was "pressed" would fail, as its state had not switched from off to on and the game would not have tried to move Mario in a jump arc.

No, your thumb pushing the button decides when the button is pressed.

fractions

lol yes, pannekoek is awesome in smario but can suck dicc arguing there are things like half a presses. What a fag

Pressing a fucking binary button is LITERALLY the act of applying enough pressure onto it, so that it changes between its state, out of the two fucking possible states it can assume, and then reverting back to its original state when released.

You can't fucking debate this. The process is completely binary. You are either pressing the fucking button, or you're not pressing the fucking button. Even if the time-frame you're inspecting starts after the actual state transition, you're STILL pressing the fucking button. You're not half pressing shit.

The "half-press" logic is dependent on game-specific behavior, that makes it appear as if pressing the A button has multiple parts to it; which is a fucking lie.

THUS it comes down semantics: Don't call it a fucking half-press, for it is not a fucking half press. Call it something else that is more descriptive. It's a bad name and does NO justice to the actual careful analysis of SM64s mechanics.

>dude buffers a button press
>calls it half a press
This is what happens when you give a retard too much free time.

You aren't half pressing the button, you are counting how many presses it took to complete the level, which is +1 in isolation but +0 over the course of a full run.

Nice try """"""""""""""""""""Henry"""""""""""""""""

he's not a speedrunner, he's an extreme memester

youtu.be/cKXbvXIT7t4?t=230

He's right on the level that you can't push a button half a time, but he's wrong in misunderstanding the nomenclature of half an a press in regards to what it means to a run.

Also this

youtube.com/watch?v=Aa-tn6xWlYg

his task was to enter Cool, Cool Mountain. Collect at least 4 red coins, then obtain the star "Wallkicks Will Work"

He entered Cool, Cool Mountain then left to get the red coins in other levels in the worst way possible

Protip: you're still applying pressure onto the button when holding it down.

Read this carefully: You are applying PRESSURE onto to it. You are PRESSING it down.

so?

Are you retarded? No one's saying that you're not pressing it.

In a full run you need to know how many times you pressed the A button and in which levels you did so. If you press and hold A when exiting a level, how would you calculate that?

Anyone who understands the video will tell you you do in fact have to press the button at some point, and it is a press.

But that isn't what "0.5 a presses" means. It's a bad name for a phenomena, but it's not hard to wrap your head around the meaning.

But in short, it's called 0.5 a press because to do it, you don't have to add a press to a full run, because you piggyback of a previous A press.

If you did the pole jump in lava land, if you keep holding the a button, and go to rolling rocks, you can just use the held A from there. that's 1 press to jump off the pole, and 0 additional presses to do rolling rocks. BUT if you just wanted to do rolling rocks on it's own, you would have to specifically press the A button there.

The name for the term comes from averaging the A presses you use in both types of run. (0+1)/2=0.5

Again, it's not the best name, but that's just what they call it.

>If you press and hold A when exiting a level, how would you calculate that?
You could say "I pressed A once while exiting the level." Or "I pressed and held A prior to beginning the level."

Presses are either on or off. Activated or inactive. One or zero. It's very, very simple.

A Pressing is defined as the act of changing the button's state from off to on. It is called that because in general you do so by applying pressure.

If the A circuit could be completed by some other means, like an ECG reading, could you complete a "0 A press run" while jumping one hundred times because technically you are not pressing?

He needs to have the button held down to do other shit, how would he calculate that then?

well first we'll have to talk about parallel universes.

Person A completed the level in 5 A presses. Person B completed the level in 4 A presses. What is the average number of A presses used to complete the level?

By counting them. And simply noting whether he held it prior to the stage or not.

Just think, all this shitposting and confusion would be avoided if they called it a carry-over-press or something.

"Henryfags" think that a .5 A press literally means pushing the button halfway down. What fucking "retards"

was 0.5x shitposting all a part of your plan?

These fucking guys.

No one's arguing that. An A press is 0/1, it's on/off.

But he's working on a huge spreadsheet of all the levels and when and where he's pressing the A button.

If he exits a level while holding the button so he can do something else with it, he's going to write down "0.5" so he knows he pressed AND held the button down. When he releases it, he adds the other "0.5" so he knows he fully pressed and released the A button.

If he just adds "1" on the spreadsheet whenever he presses the button how the fuck is he going to know that he held it through to another level?

>people who don't realize that .999... = 1
Holy shit are you all retarded

There's no such thing as a half A press it's either pressed or it isn't.

...do you not know how to calculate averages? Don't they teach that in elementary school?

>Cred Forums is too stupid to understand what Pancake was trying to say
is this really how low this board has fallen?

>If he just adds "1" on the spreadsheet whenever he presses the button how the fuck is he going to know that he held it through to another level?
By writing down "H" for "held." It's that simple. "H" for "held." 1H = one held.

Everyone understands completely what he's trying to say, we just think it's absolutely fucktarded terminology. Calling it a half press is misleading and asinine when it could just be "held press" instead.

>Say "what is a half press" to an Engineer and watch him laugh at you"

A half press is using half of pressing down A, and not releasing it.

t. Engineer

What would be the difference of adding 0.5 and another 0.5 when he releases though

He was half right.

Autists can wrap their minds around the concept of words having more than one specific meaning that can change in different contexts.

I mean, I think most people understand, it's just a bunch of """"""""""Henry"""""""""""s who found their way here

that's unnecessarily bulky terminology:

>3.5 A press run

vs

>3 A presses and 1 initially held press run

>by writing down "H" for "Henry"

You can have half-button presses on a console with pressure-sensitive buttons or analog button switches such as the PS2. This is why Big Boss cuts people's necks open so much in Snake Eater.

N64 has digital button switches. Which means it's either on or off. Pressing and holding is still changing the button to the ON state. The game measures changes to the ON state as a button press for the jump command, not changes from the on to the off, otherwise, Mario would never jump the first time you held the button. The game only cares if the button is held in the ON state for a particular amount of time for the running controls. Typically, the button is polled for some number of milliseconds to see if it is in the 'ON' position. Otherwise, it doesn't care.

It would be like arguing that you can have analog controls using the digital pad if you simply pressed and held a direction to simulate an analog stick, because that would be half a digital button press.

It's kind of silly, but whatever lets him sleep at night.

Not an answer.

All you Faggots saying A can either be pressed/not pressed, 1/0. On/off.

youtu.be/IhlBrVaK7DU

You are correct, but also wrong.

No, and anyone who actually paid attention to the video and what pankekel does would understand it.

>start level 1
>press A to reach somewhere and get the star (1 A press so far)
>start level 2
>you still haven't let go of the A button
>use the unique properties that Mario has while holding the A button to get the next star

And now your run between level 1 and 2 only had one A press, but you technically were still holding A while playing level 2, so you categorize that you beat those levels with 1.5 A presses.

So yes, you cannot press half of the A button or something, but keep in mind that pankekel is aiming to beat the whole game by doing as few A presses as possible, which means that he uses exploits, glitches, and he hops between different levels and worlds to make use of them. This means that he can press A once, and get a bunch of stars while never letting go of the button, thus he counts that carry-over as a 0.5 A press.

yes but only because the terminology is retarded. pancake should call it an A pre-pressed star or something

it saves an A-press in a whole 60 or whatever star run, that's the point. you jump into the level and then you don't have to jump again

Fucking hell this,

shmuplations.com/mario64/

For those who have not read these interviews, should.

You guys need to start taking care of your retarded little brother. He's practically homeless.

Why the fuck does your count reset if he changes levels?

This meme is uninteresting in comparison to pannenkeok

This thread works better than any IQ test. There's no such thing as half a press, you fucking mongs.

>3.5 A press run
>3A 1H press run

Yeah that's not "unnecessarily bulky terminology" you utter scuttlebug. They're exactly the same amount of characters. Exactly.

Stop forcing this. It sucks and you know it

Because:

>ACKTCUTRUALLYLLLALLY, HE SAID HE WAS GOING TO RUN THE LEVEL WITHOUT PRESSING THE A BUTTON, BUT HE WAS HOLDING IT SO IT WAS OKAY

I seriously think he should have just saved himself a shit-ton of time and bought a gameshark to map the A button to one of the digital pad functions, because at least then he could proudly claim that he beat the entire game without pressing the physical A button once. Trying to game his own rules of which make little significance to anyone but himself makes one wonder what the point even is, then.

>you come home from work and find your wife 0.5x cheating on you with Pannenkoek2012
what do?

She wouldn't technically be cheating on me until he pulled out the first time

>2a^2 = a^2 + ab
>2a^2 - 2ab = a^2 + ab - 2ab
Here's your problem.

He's trying to beat the game with the fewest A presses possible, not beat the level. What are you on about?

>Pannenkoek2012 leaves his house with his fly unzipped, sporting a throbbing erection, and makes his way towards Henry's house, opens the door and penetrates his wife
>Henry comes home, sees what's happening, is furious
>"Honey, it was only half an intercourse, he held his erection before he walked through the door!"

And I can beat the whole game in fewer A presses than him by using a gameshark or soldering tools to re-map the A button.

What is HE on about? Where did this retarded challenge come into play in the first place? Why is it OK for him to press the button in these one instances, but not the others.

If he one-day plans to release a single segment Fewest A presses possible run, and it's over 400 hours in length because he has to spend days upon days building up speed (using an emulator of course. Which is basically cheating anyway), then what's the purpose? He already broke the basis of his system when he decided to use Project 64 as the basis for the thing to begin with, because he didn't want to sit around for two days with the A button held down to build up ten trillion speed units so he could teleport out of world.

If you're already cheating, then at what point do the original goals no longer apply to you? He's just gaming his own system that uses his own rules in a way that lets him sleep at night.

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. He only did a half-cheat run, so I guess it's not technically cheating.

What is the point of any game?

It's fun.

Question

If, to do a star with 0.5x A presses, A needs to be help from a previous A press, wouldn't this make some stages impossible if they are in between the 0.5 level and the previous A press?

Since mario wouldn't be able to dive, hence no dive recovers, I'm fairly certain that holding A through gaps between the A press and the stage for the 0.5 would make (if any) stars between this gap impossible, especially as new exploits are found to reduce A presses

That is if there are any gaps like this.

Up until you're sitting in your room making videos about how if you kick this block in Paper Mario for 400 years, the game crashes.

What the guy actually needs is help. Not accolades for beating a mario game with the fewest A presses possible.

nothing wrong with that
the problem is 2 lines after: (a^2 -ab) = 0 if a =b

That's the exact opposite of what I meant.

In my hypothetical situation you are recording yourself beating level 1 and 2. You're still counting your total amount of A presses to beat these levels. Now if you wanted to beat the whole game then you might use more A presses, but are still applying the same logic; the amount of levels you beat won't change this, and the counter won't reset unless you decide to record an specific scenario instead of doing a full game run.

But in a full game run, your A presses will always be counted, so instead of ignoring that you never let go of the A button while beating "X" amount stars and levels, you count that carry-over as a half A press.

>Up until you're sitting in your room making videos about how if you kick this block in Paper Mario for 400 years, the game crashes.
Why is that suddenly no longer fun?

Why would holding A make diving impossible? Diving is done with the B button.

>Of course not, but I also wouldn't say you needed to press right on the D-Pad to beat if you were still holding right on the d-pad from an earlier level.

Hey just a heads up, that's not at all how words work. Thank you for trying.

Press is a press, but then it comes in two variations: half press and full press.

>Up until you're sitting in your room making videos about how if you kick this block in Paper Mario for 400 years, the game crashes.

not even the same person

Yeah, okay. You're right. I, too, think it is a jolly good time to mash Mario under a bridge until he can teleport out of world for about three days.

Shit, really? I guess I get all these autists mixed up. Who was that guy, then?

what are the 3 parts? Pressing, holding and letting go?

.6+33.3=100
Oh god, not this shit again.

This is the way how they solved the turtle race thing.

>Yeah, okay. You're right. I, too, think it is a jolly good time to mash Mario under a bridge until he can teleport out of world for about three days.
You find certain things fun that he likely wouldn't. There's no objective criteria to differentiate them.

did pancake ever figure out how to kill the impossible goomba?

>Who was that guy, then?

some nobody trying to capitalise on pannenkoek's sudden burst of popularity

I still don't get it, if he said that an a press has THREE phases, then how the hell can he do a HALF a press? The correct term wouldn't need to be "0.66 a press"?

>You find certain things fun that he likely wouldn't. There's no objective criteria to differentiate them.
Fun is subjective. Sanity isn't subjective. Spending all day long researching Mario bugs because he's too incapable of functioning outside in normal society is a sign that he might need help.

Not yet, but it doesn't seem like it's at all possible without a new glitch/exploit

Because you have to press down A to enter the level, but you never release A until after the level

>sanity isn't subjective
reality would like a word with you

Stop making this thread, buttbaby cancer.

spending all day arguing on a mongolian drawing tablet about what someone does after work is a sign that you need help