I played MGS for the first time in my life not too long ago and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by a...

I played MGS for the first time in my life not too long ago and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by a gaming experience.
Earlier in the year I took the opportunity to play Metal Gear 1 and 2 and 2 ended up being probably one of my favorite games of all time, I can hardly believe it was made in the year it was with how advanced it was.

MGS was...what EarthBound was to Mother 1. A LOT of recycling elements from the original with a glorious coat of new paint and enough new story for it to seem like a sequel despite this. I have no idea why my friend stated you could go and play MGS without playing MG1 and MG2, because every time exposition or characters are dumped on you, they're directly referencing events in the original 2 games. How anyone, especially a child playing MGS could've understood anything that was going on escapes me.

My biggest disappointment definitely had to be the game length. Was that a joke? Like, 6 hours of what felt was nothing but a tutorial only to have the game actually end abruptly. Each segment tossed some new mechanic or strategy at you only for it to NEVER be seen again. MGS was neat, but after experiencing Metal Gear 2, felt like nothing but some HD tech demo of an old series to show off the potential of the Playstation.
Makes me sad to hear that's pretty much the death of that style of gameplay as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_3:_Subsistence
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Metal gear started on the nes? How did I not no this? Well I didn't know how rampage started either.

I think it's really cute that you posted this already and then decided it needed it's own thread. Gotta get them (you)s.

You're gonna get shitposted to death but you're wholly correct.

MGS was MGS2 before it was cool. It was basically a tuned up version of the previous game that copied a lot of the story beats and fights and put a new spin on them.

The difference is that it wasn't a pretentious wankfest of meta-commentary and was just a fun game not taking itself too seriously. MGS2 is a failure both in comparison and as a standalone work.

The thread seemed to be dying off so I fugured why not make a thread about it

Did you know they're making a Rampage movie

Did you really need to copy paste your no reply post from another thread and make a thread about just to get attention?

Saying that a sequel is too similar to the original is more of a critique of making sequels rather than of the sequel itself.

MGS2 was written in part to address this exact reaction to MGS1.

why did big boss rely on hamsters

poisonous
zanzibar
hamsters

>Metal gear started on the nes?
It didn't.

we're talking about a guy whose autism was so great that he spent untold dollars pioneering various forms of cardboard box infiltration technology

Best loading screen in any game

be nice to Big Boss...

I'm just saying, poisonous hamsters don't seem so weird after the love box and the cardboard tank

Ghost babel > 2 > 1

We used inflatable tanks throughout history, a cardboard one doesn't seem too far-fetched

I think more than a few people are mistaking MG1 and MG2 for MGS1 and MGS2. That or they don't know that games before Solid exist at all

What's it like? Story canon?

It's a damn shame given how filled with content MG1, 2 and GB were for the systems they were in

It started as an old computer game before being ported to the NES without Kojima knowing.

Large Leader deploys unit for suicide mission

Unit succeeds

Unit kills Large Leader, who was actually Poison Cobra (see MGSV)

That's MG1. I forgot the premise of 2 and GB but the gameplay is what you're after here. If you wanna see the games analyzed then see SomeCallMeJohnny's metal gear marathon

This is what got me interested in the series in the first place. Starting at the very first game in order to be able to play V eventually, even if I've been spoiled with the story. By the end of MG1 I'd assumed that the entire area of it was in fact everything you built up during MGSV with BB actually being VS. I felt that was interesting enough to start working through every game in the series

I see a lot of people yelling over venom snake not building up to the "guy who went nuclear" then i think of MG1

Honestly I think postgame venom fits the bill for MG1 just fine

You'd think people this deep into the series enough to play V and look forward to it would've played every canon game available

>I forgot the premise of 2 and GB
>and GB
>GB

I just realized that the odd choice of a subtitle was chosen because it's "GB", which is also the short form of Game Boy.

You're figuring that out now? The DS had the same thing going

Had to justify "touch enemy - get hit" trope.

Consider that the canon of that part of the timeline has been set in stone for 20 years and then it got changed with MGSV.

MGS had synopsis' of the first two games in the manual and in the extras screen.

Even as I kid I liked that MGS was really a continuation of some foreign story arch I had never heard of before.

>Even as I kid I liked that MGS was really a continuation of some foreign story arch I had never heard of before.
This.
This is how you knew as a kid what was the good shit and what wasn't.

i think not playing mg1 and 2 before mgs1 kinda upped my view on snake in his past. i could only imagine what kind of legendary things he did by what i read and some of the hints they drop in the game. really helped shape him as the legend they all say he is.

Yeah, but no other game on the GB really does that.

It became a thing with the Super Nes, GBA, N64 and NDS.

True that, looking back it's pretty obvious but it wasn't as common back then

>MGS was...what EarthBound was to Mother 1. A LOT of recycling elements from the original with a glorious coat of new paint and enough new story for it to seem like a sequel despite this. I have no idea why my friend stated you could go and play MGS without playing MG1 and MG2, because every time exposition or characters are dumped on you, they're directly referencing events in the original 2 games. How anyone, especially a child playing MGS could've understood anything that was going on escapes me.

The original PS1 release had a section that flat out explained via text the story and events from said games. After I got confused, I read it and understood everything.

How can I play these games? NES emulator?

No it didn't it started on the MSX2 which was a popular computer in japan.

The NES got a bastardized version of MG1 that was not faithful to the original.

MG1 was on NES but it was a shitty port, MG2 wasn't originally released in the states.

The best way to play them is in the HD remaster of MGS3 or MGS3 subsistence on PS2 if you can find a copy.

I'll see if I can emulate it on PCSX2 then, I don't have a ps2 anymore.

I don't remember PS2 Subsistence having MG, you sure it wasn't PS3 Collection exclusive?

No, it was susbistence. It was part of the bonus shit. They even made new character portraits since the originals were obviously copied from real world people and that's a legal no-no unless you have permission.

There's MSX emulators out there.

>how anyone understood it without playing the first two
By not being a fucking retard that can't pick up on all the references and explanations mid game of what happened in the first two

I was 8 when I played this first, never played the first two, understood the story just fine.

Nice bait btw, you got me

It's rare to find a MG2 lover.

I do agree with you though, MG2 is a much better game than MGS. But MG1 is really shitty to be honest; it's something that should only be played by a long time fan to see how the series started.

It was the second disk had it, if you had subsistence as part of the essential collection on PS2 it did not include the second disk.

I emulated it like a year ago and I was pretty sure it didn't have them because I ended up emulating them through bluemsx, it was because I only downloaded the first disk.

>play mgs4
>thinking after that that Kojima gives a fuck about his timeline
All the storyfags got what they deserved. I honestly didn't mind the twist, don't think it fucked the series anywhere near as bad as 4 did

It does.

Did you download the bonus disk or just the first game disk? I think they're on the bonus disk.

Source: I have the damn thing and played them on the PS2. I just forget which disk they're on.

>metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_3:_Subsistence
>Also included is a Secret Theater mode and playable versions of the original Metal Gear and, for the first time outside of Japan, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

bump

ghost babel is a goddamned masterpiece.

Big Boss...more like Big BUTT.

Wait, I'm playing MGS3 right now. Raiden is a faggot? The main antagonist is a faggot? Why is everyone grabbing each others' crotches?!

MG1 and 2 are very light on the story, thats a fact. Also, MGS1 has fine summaries in the main menu for both of the older games, and everything elseĀ“s filled in the Briefing files + ingame dialog.

Yes, lots of stuff was "recycled" from MG2 to MGS, partly because latter was never officially released in the west before MGS3:S was released, in 2005.

That being said, OP is a fagget, and MGS1 is still one of the best MGS games, and one of the greatest games too. Your own fault for rushing through it on Easy or something.

MGS series is social commentary about homosexuality. The whole Patriot thing is just a plot device

:^)

The future is gay.

It's a russian taunt.

ULTRA BOX.

He probably wrote and though his opinion was so hot he just had to make a new thread just for it.

Rations.

The other thread wasn't talking about the games at all. Take a look for yourself.

such a good looking ui and game in general

NES version was better.

Why?

Some

some

Lucky Strikes.

And some

some

Pall Mall (Ball Mall)

Good ol Solid Snake enjoying a Lucky.

I wonder if these two will ever get a remake?

Would you prefer HD remakes or a reimagining? Like an MG1 remake taking your base from MGSV and converting it into the entire world MG1 would take place in.