What games let me play as powerful undead?

What games let me play as powerful undead?

No Dark Souls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg
youtube.com/watch?v=6dd1iiplgLY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Demons souls.

Heroes of Annihilated Empires.
HoMM.
Tales of Maj'Eyal.

Life, if you work at office and lift

No idea, but lurking.

Demon's Souls

>No open world game where you play as a necromancer raising dead and performing bone rituals to command an army of wacky skeletons
Modded Bethshit games don't count

Age of Wonders 1-2-3.

Diablo 2 : Expansion. Even in solo the necro is 10/10 spooky. I remember when I used to fill the rogue camp with bodies of flesh golems, the ground looked like pizza afterwards.

Warcraft III

There's really not enough games about being a necromancer. An action rpg/rts would be easy money, why has nobody done it before now?

Guild Wars 1 had great necromancers even if they were not undead.

>Expect a really cool anime about demons and undead etc.
>Instead it's slice of life harem garbage but with Satan as the MC

Japan can suck my nuts.

>Would be easy money
Except you gotta actually make a good Necro, which means making good Minion AI for one thing (it's not as simple as adding a command system, that's actually quite difficult.)
And for another, assuming they don't want to solely appeal to Petsfags, they'd have to make other specs viable.
>Zombies, Skeletons, Abominations, Spectres
>Curses and possibly melee
Etc.
It's potentially easy money if you know what you're doing. But it's guaranteed easy money (and easier money) to just make a normal ARPG or an FPS, Platformer, etc.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is going to have playable Undead and eventually re-implement a better version of the Summoner tree from the first game. So you can quite easily roleplay a necromancer soon.

Your number of allies alone can greatly decide the outcome of fights.

How would you make a summoner build fun? Let's face, just clicking Summon every time it's off cd is boring.

Simple.
>Give Necromancer supporting skills to augment his minions in-combat
>Shit like the Offerings from Path of Exile, Curses, combat commands, and conversion mechanics, like sacrificing a swarm of Skeletons for a Bone Colossus or something, turning permanent minions into one big temp. minion as you then proceed to refill your permanent ranks

>Certain summons counter X, and likewise these summons are countered by Y, so you have to pick when and where to summon the right units
>When these summons die, have the player run about collecting their bones/souls which enables another feature/lowers cooldowns/does something in general. Don't have the player just sitting around

inb4 bard-fags show up

Dominions 4

Oh yeah, also >Add mechanics related to gathering parts for your Minions, you can't just summon swarms of skeletons and zombies out of thin air, but gathering is quick and easy, run over parts and collect most of the not rare drop ones

Don't make an exclusive summoner, give it other abilities like debuffs, interrupts and direct damage.

Skeletons should be a lot dumber than how they're normally portrayed, the necromancer should be directing the troops loosely with simple goals and empowering them with buffs and debuffing their enemies

Blood

>actually rping
you rping types make my skin crawl

Fucking fleshy, reeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Shadow of Mordor

what's the name of the anime?

youtube.com/watch?v=hzPpWInAiOg

5500 POWER LICHES

The Devil is a Part Timer.

Plot synopsis: Satan and his army attempt to take over a fictional land but get fucked over by humanity. Satan retreats through a portal to another dimension and ends up in modern day Japan. Totally original and hilarious scenarios occur where Satan has to get a job, and a place to stay, and afford rent, and be surrounded by bitches who want his dick but he's too oblivious to notice.

I like simple summoning mechanics

>call your game "lichdom battlemage"
>you can't become a lich
?????

My exact same reaction, I looked up the game and instead it's just a linear game where you use Skyrim's spell cast system.

>two puppets at the front
>rest is just guys in suits

Damn, it looks so shitty, but I can't blame it, I can only appreciate it. They must have had a lot of fun filming this.

Total War Warhammer.

Is it any good? Or still unfinished mess?

What happened to this game? I got some screenshots saved. Is there any progress or is it dead?

It was canned for his Grim Reaper sidescrolling shooter game.

Deader than dead.

>Or is it dead
Don't you mean Undead?
>That colossus
MY DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

That one psp game where you play as a nightmare knockoff, Loli with a scythe or zombie marth and make enemy soldiers into your zombie hench men an make them fight for you or destroy structures.

How fitting, ;_;

Moving on to an always controversial topic:

SKELETON PALADINS, CAN THEY EXIST?

Vidya has to show more respect.

Yes. While a Skeleton is generally animated by dark powers, this does not inherently make the skeleton evil.
Magics of light can be used to raise the dead in various capacities as well, usually as spirits, but said spirits could inhabit dead bones.
A Skeleton raised with dark magic who is not enslaved in the same motion or soon after by the user can easily take up Paladinship.
A Skeleton raised with light magic is the same deal.

Aren't they always called Deathknights?
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Yeah, but it would fucking suck assuming the undead are injured by healing magic.

The only controversy is that there is a controversy.

He just endures the pain so he can do good.

Forget the Loli part remembered that incorrectly

Assuming yes, they would lead a difficult unlife.
>Holy spells would hurt them
>Assumed evil by all passerby who are uninformed
>Would actually hurt to cast spells since they originate from their body, so would have to use a channeling tool, limiting their gear choices
>Loses their resistance to dark magic for taking up the role of Paladin and loses their Holy resistance because they're a fucking skeleton

That only makes my righteousness-boner harder!
>skeleton paladin with all the holy skills AND the weakness to holy skills
>healing the innocent burns you
It's a wonder Avellone hasn't made a RPG about this already.

Best way to do it is if what ever god in charge of paladins is the one that brings him back, like a mummified saint coming back to life.

Decap Attack

this

how do they get so many units on screen?

game?

iirc in the director's commentary they laugh every time one the puppets is bouncing around on screen

they knew it looked like shit and they loved it

Slav techno-sorcery. Or did you believe Blizzard that the technology for more than ten dozens of units does not exist?

You could make your Arisen in Dragon's Dogma look like a nasty corpse if you so desired.

That sounds epic af, desu.

GrimGrimoire

So you're saying even undeath cannot change the nature of a paladin?

This game is fucking fantastic.
Skellingtons are made so quick as well, you can have thousands in god damn minutes

what's this?

Abandoned vidya, never released.

youtube.com/watch?v=6dd1iiplgLY

Why has nobody made a Necromamcy strategy game in the vein of Stronghold? Something economy-based, only requiring you to actually move around the map, looting graves for bones, picking off travelers for corpses to re-animate, eventually building up an army and an evil fortress.

I have a semi working build for a necromancer game but don't know exactly where to take it so I work on other things while I figure it out.

I'm wondering if it's better to go for action oriented design where you try and dodge things with your necro while summoning and buffing your skellies or if I want it to be more about micro managing the skeletons for max genocide.

pls help

I'd like to see a sequel to this after all these years. With full campaign and shit.

Perhaps we will get one if Cossacks 3 doesn't bomb too badly.

Having the skeles be autonomous while you rush to just amass hordes of bones seems the best route.

I don't think you can go wrong, mr skeleton. You'll get a different audience for each style of game, but both will have people who want to play it. Though this doesn't help you make a decision, I guess.

Dark Souls series.

Why has nobody ever made a fantasy RTS with hyper asymmetrical gameplay and the Necromancer race is literally a walking base who just shits out Skeletons like it's going out of style?
>Requires heavy supplies of mana, so has to attach bone fonts to Mana wells and defend them across the map while amassing his armies
>Losing even one font to (race that can't even use it properly, filthy Knife-ears) can hinder you for a good while until you manage to subjugate the lesser beings, which could take half the game since you're crippled supply-wise

Overlord was a semi-successful summoner game.
Seems like growing & customizing the horde & minimizing the punishment of losing troops are important.

Too much player involvement in skelly autonomy makes it a micromanagement sim.
That doesn't make you feel like a powerful necromancer, it makes you feel like a fucking nanny with a giant swarm of retarded undead children.
Which can be a good or a bad thing. (Prvious example did it well)

Action would be easier to do right. RTS with the player avatar being physically present on the battlefield makes control nightmarish. Compare Sacrifice and Overlord.

Damn shame, I liked Deadbolt but this looked so fun.

Apparently they bit off more than they could chew and had to neuter EVERYTHING.
It's just fucked-up bits & pieces of what they wanted to make.

>RTS with the player avatar being physically present on the battlefield makes control nightmarish.
This was actually the one thing Halo Wars did really well imho, controlling Arbiter hero unit while still managing the pace of the fight was a great feeling.
The key is to have your Hero unit only active for brief stints of time as a sort of "powered up" state.

>Whole thread
>No mention of Stubbs

Also compare Dragon Commander.

Hurry the hell up with the playable undead, Larian.

>another positive outlook disembodied head

delete it

Don't. Get it right first.

Any game where you can play as a vampire :^)

Two different classes with similar themes but with one distinction: deathknights are powered by evil, paladins by good.
So skeleton 'paladins' would normally be a misnomer, since they'd normally be deathknights.
However, if the skeleton isn't empowered by evil, it can't be a death-knight. It's just a mundane reanimated skeleton.
And if the skeleton is empowered by good, it can be a skeleton paladin.

besides the blatantly obvious?

Dark souls II and III

>2016
>still discussing vampires in undead/necromancer threads
Take your sparkles somewhere else, mate.

have you played dragon age 1, it has a spirit of justice possessing a dead grey warden to do good

total warhammer
play vampire counts and later tomb lords

>letting some shitty tween girl book series ruin vampires for the rest of us

fuck off and die

Thats actually pretty cool and intimidating in a budget sort of way.

Keep on dreaming.
If it was only the one series... face it today vampires are LIVING sex-gods. Not undead monsters.

What the fuck did you expect from something called "The Devil is a Part Timer"
Hell the fucking thing pokes fun at series about travelling to another world. It was a joke from the start. Now Overlord is an example of something that I was expecting something good from and it turned into cliche garbage.

What is this and is it shit?

Technically they are undead. Technically a lot of them are also portrayed as necromancers since they themselves work on undeath magic. I don't know about actual original folklore vampires, though. I figure probably not.

It's turn-based, pre-planned.

It's still a cool concept. I wouldn't mind seeing better executions

It's much better than Skyrim's system (no mods), the spells are configurable

I like how your units literally fall apart rather than get routed. It's a nice touch.

Did you watch that tv series about vampires taking over the world or america or a city (I forget which) of some kind? They were ugly fucks in that. It's just that most modern vampires are supposed to have a level of charisma, even if it's usually a spell, about them, and it's hard to do when your actor is wearing a mask that makes him look like my grandmother.

>turn-based
I might be OK with this.
Is it basically a CIV game, or is it something else?

Its either Dominions 3 or 4. Lots of different races and lots of different spells. You organize your armies before you fight and hope they dont fuck up rather than actually controlling them.

Disciples: Sacred Lands
Disciples 2

If you haven't played either game, then I highly recommend them.

horrible graphics
ridiculous amount of content
unfriendly interface
personal favourite strategy game of all time

one of the factions is a dead empire which constantly spawns armies of ghouls and skeletons, you can choose a lich as your faction leader

Is overlord good? I've played about an hour of it but didn't get into it.

world of warcraft

tried to appeal to a broad audience, ended up just being a worse version of pikmin

>world of warcraft
>play as a powerful undead

Yeah it's okay. It's nothing special, but I think it's enjoyable. There are a couple of parts that made me frustrated though, and a lot of it is because the mechanics are a little shitty.

The second game is both better and worse in a lot of ways, but it's still okay. I'd say pirate them and give them a try, or buy them on sale or something. Basically try them but don't expect anything major.

Meh.
Might've had potential but it's just sour memes, a linear experience, and shallow choices.
Also seemed like the tower/mistress was unfinished when they published it.

get outta here ya goddamn spooky skeles

That was my impression.

Shame, I love the concept. Rather than be the hero and fight the cliched "I want to kill everything in the world" bad guy that pretty much every fantasy game has, I want RP a "ends justify the means" character.

Very different, one of a kind.

That sounds like the exact fucking opposite of Overlord.
What the fuck.

Funnily enough you could still be the good guy in 1. Since you basically only killed other nutjobs and corrupt assholes if you played good. The evil character was more a straight fantasy evil. In 2 it's just straight up "do you want mind slaves or flaming corpses around you?" and they cut out any good what so ever, which I kinda like.

Should I get Galleans return or rise of the elves?

DCSS

Necro takes a while to kick off, but if you get an amulet of faith and some levels you can just corpse delivery/animate/simalcrum everything to death with kiku. Bonus points for Death Channel.

Tome does too, but tome is shit.

I don't think I've ever played a game that let you be an ends justifies the means kind of guy. And by that I meant coherently unlike Mass Effect.

See, I hate games that have such clear cut good/bad paths, more so if its Mass effect style blue points red points.

Let the story unfold and see the effects afterwards.

>Slav techno-sorcery. Or did you believe Blizzard that the technology for more than ten dozens of units does not exist?
>random games can have hundreds of units and there is no problem with the fps
>blizzard doesn't care because they created the game for campaign/1v1
>Starcraft 2 explodes when there are more than 100 units on the screen making team battles almost impossible to play except for those who have top tier rigs and can play the game at least at 24fps

I don't even think GOG sells them separately.

I use steam because I am comfortable with it.

For the really old games you should get GOG version, pirate buy or whatever so long as it is GOG.

Mass effect's bad guy is just a petty asshole.

At least make it some sort of Boba Fett/Han Solo style rogue.

But agreed, a game that lets you be a competent villain that isn't totally petty or comic-book cheesy villain is rare.

I guess Dishonoured might count, but even then it encourages you to play for Low Chaos, which sucks.

>tfw no good games when I can be a badass lich

Jade Empire was better about it, the only people who judged you were party members, and if you were a bad enough dude you could bind them to your will, which made them unable to disobey you but they still hated you which was pretty funny, either way you were just trying to get rid of all the ghosts cluttering the country up.

Dwarf fortress adventure mode allows you to be a necromancer and resurrect unkillable badass zombies

>walk into a castle

>strangle a kid to death in a room

>raise him and watch him attack everyone

In Overlord it kind of makes sense, since the first protagonist actually was a hero, albiet one who lost his memories, and some people comment you seem a bit odd for an Overlord and in 2 you're just a kid built on evil, thus the lack of good and evil and just evil and more evil.

I guess the problem is that the more options you give a player, the shorter the game gives as the more complicated it gets. Like Way of the Samurai and that Age of Decadence game, which didn't really have clearcut good and evil (well WotS series and AoD had like 1 or 2 clearly evil choices but hey) and mostly just reacted to whatever you did. I want more games like that, but I'd pay through the nose if it meant getting a longer game with that amount of dialog choices and action choices.

Jade Empire's close fist shit will always be one of my most hated things. I thought the concept was cool, and both paths had their merits. But all they did with it was give you thinly veiled "muhahaha I'm an asshole" choices. I think the one moment I remember you even trying to justify being such a massive cunt was when you tell someone why you're about to flood their village for the lulz.

How do you learn necromancy? Wasn't actually aware that was a thing you could do.

Busting all those ghosts clearly makes any of the asshole stuff you do in the process no big deal. The government wants you dead either way. Also you can make people explode by punching them.

Actually, all three of those seem like they let you do an 'ends justify means' route handily.
Just by mixing responses & playing neutral-evil.

Sure you might need to cheat the morality systems to RP properly due to the game's mechanics, but the choices are there.

Overlord in particular had a chaotic-evil 'kill everything' comic-book style and a 'are you really evil?' calculated style. Instead of killing everything, you preserve it in return for loyalty, debt, and tithes.
Destruction vs Domination, (and I think the second game explicitly set those two as the morality poles).

Even Serious Sam, an FPS, can have 500+ enemies on screen with little slowdown
Fucking slav magic, man

>Destruction vs Domination

Thats a good way of putting it. I want to play a game where you Dominate the world and rule it, rather than Burn it to ash, or (most common in games where you play a Villain) just be a mean looking good guy.

I haven't done much adventure mode but you might want to read up on necro towers because iirc they have a necromancy book in them that you might need to go grab/steal

Raid a tower and pray you can reach the slab and read it before the skeletons tear you apart

Its marked on the map as a purple I

Just make sure you have reading and not a elf

These from the same game?

I'm starting my masters but fuck me that looks fun

Looks like d&d

Quite the opposite- Jade Empire had the presence of mind to place 2 or 3 actual 'philosophers' (exposition pieces) of the Closed Fist ideals throughout the game.
And if you talked to them, you'd know a lot of people 'just use it as an excuse to be a thug', which they explain isn't what Closed Fist is about.
What the devs did was give the player the ability to be a thug, a shitty practitioner of the philosophy, OR a measured, reasonable 'ends justify the means' anti-hero.
And they did this simply by including the options for both paths & giving out enough 'morality' points throughout the game for you to pick & choose which actions you take while still maxing out the meter.

You don't have to hit max-cap as fast as possible, and once you realize that, you'll notice the game actually has more than 2 paths for RP.

I got invited to the closed Alpha of this game, it was an onsite arrangement somewhere in Georgia. I didn't know companies still did that.

But as said it's just cheating the morality system. In Jade Empire, and in a lot of games, wishy washing from one path to another is jarring and the dialog clearly intends for you to have the one path.

>mfw trying to make a shitty RPG in gamemaker
>one of the midgame bosses is a 10 FTH (max) paladin/samurai skeleton who believes that god fully accepts his sinful nature
>still have no idea how should he look like
>still shit at drawing skeletons

Coat him in armor so that his horrific skeleton face doesn't scare the small children who walk on gods green earth.

And also because you can't draw skeletons.