This shit aged like milk

This shit aged like milk.
There is no way you can enjoy this game if you feel no nostalgia towards it.
I want to try the steam version of FF9. It looks pretty good.
Thoughts and opinions?

I'm just about to kill Ruby and Emerald weapons and I'm enjoying it a lot. The only major problems I have are some shoddy dialogue and not being able to tell where to go. Otherwise, it's a pretty comfy game imo senpai

FFVII was terribly ported. All versions of it.
FFIX is better but only "better". At least it boots up easily.

>FFVII was terribly ported. All versions of it.
In what ways?

Poor quality audio, weird graphical changes, 15/30fps as opposed to 60. You'd think the FPS didn't matter in JRPG but then you try doing Tifa's limit break and realize it's actually next to undoable on PC.

If using an emulator isn't a problem I'd recommend that over the PC versions.

>There is no way you can enjoy this game if you feel no nostalgia towards it.

How come I played it for the first time about 4 years ago and really liked it?

You get used to it after a few hours, the backgrounds still look nice.

Best played on a PSP or something, looks nice on there. The music and story more than make up for it IMO.

9 is a worst game than 7 in just about every way.

The only reason someone would hate ff7 is for the graphics and if they hate turn based combat. The gameplay and leveling system is solid in it.

>make current gen port thingy
>don't even make it suitable for widescreen
>not even some ff7.jpg wallpaper

ff12 is the best final fantasy ever made too bad it was short.

you really think so? i played it for the first time like a few months ago and i really loved it, to each their own i guess

>All versions of it

So what's the best way to play it asides from the original ps1 disc? Off PSN? Emulation?

I actually just got done plating the game, and I liked it quite a fucking bit. I bet OP is 19 or some shit.

All the ports were kinda terrible, not the original game. PS1 version off PSN or emulation = no problems assuming you could configure an emulator.
The reason the audio went to shit with the ports was because the music was specifically designed to be played on PS1 sound chip. Getting that to play like it did originally elsewhere requires either very large file sizes or quality loss.

Games that don't have proper widescreen should at least have some decent art around the borders. Kind of like how Pokemon Stadium tried to avoid bloating a GB screen to TV sizes.

aren't there a few mods that use higher resolution textures, and character models?

I dont know what you consider to be a good turn based combat but FF7 is pretty dated.
You can't read item descriptions or have quick tooltips on what they do making you have to memorize every item on your inventory because not all of them have intuitive names.
You're forced to use limits so you're allowed to use regular attacks.
Targetting someone else so you can use a spell/item on them feels clunky as fuck.

I played FFVII for the first time two years ago and enjoyed it.

Kill yourself you fucking faggot.

Does the PC version of FFVII use a MIDI soundtrack?

>mfw switching from the PC MIDI version of FFVIII soundtrack to the Roses and Wine mod

>tfw everyone always hate on ff7 artstyle and that it aged poorly
i always value gameplay over graphics but still ff7 still has a good artstyle even if a bit outdated, i honestly like the low poly models and 2d backgrounds, the backgrounds have so much atmosphere to it, compared to even modern 3d games

I only played it in 2011 on my PSP, thought it was amazing.

They changed the audio back to the original in the PC version

this
le "age like milk" is a retarded meme

>complains about nostalgia while shows how new he is buying a fucking PS1 game which is a inferior port on Steam

your age is showing. And yeah, the overworld characters on FF7 don't look good but the game is pretty good

What does this do?

Also replayed it on PSP still good, maybe better since it is portable

>You can't read item descriptions or have quick tooltips on what they do making you have to memorize every item on your inventory because not all of them have intuitive names.
Press Select

>You're forced to use limits so you're allowed to use regular attacks.
Adds strategy to keeping your limits for possible upcoming bosses.
>Targetting someone else so you can use a spell/item on them feels clunky as fuck.
I'll give you that one.

Makes your game run in the PS1 resolution.

Scanlines I think? Makes it look like a PS1 game.

FFIX is better on a technical and graphical level. FFVII has it beat in the plot, combat and character leveling aspects though.
I recommend playing them all, FFVIII included though.

FF9 is barely any different at all in terms of gameplay other than character models looking less hideous. If you think you can still enjoy it, you can enjoy 7.

You are very wrong, tho.
FF9 is one of the best JRPGs ever tho´

>guessing when answering questions
Please don't. It doesn't help if you don't know.

>Adds strategy to keeping your limits for possible upcoming bosses.
I dont think I like this design choice though. It really doesnt feel right to not being able to use a character.
>Press select
Oh shit, thanks for the tip, user

>there are literally people who can't enjoy classics like FFVII because they act like faggots over old graphics

I don't play Amiga games for that reason. Admittedly, these games are extremely shitty.
But yes, not playing games from the SNES-era and onwards because of graphics is dumb.
This era was not know as the golden-era of JRPGs for nothing.

Most SNES games look better than FF7

Let's not pretend that SNES Final Fantasys looked good. Little midget sprite characters with about 4 frames of running animation and towns all laid out in the same shitty grid with houses facing the same way was terrible and while it did the job and was enough to work with in making great games it's better that we moved on.

>and towns all laid out in the same shitty grid with houses facing the same way was
Holy shit I never realized this before lol

This. It triggers me when other gamers are like like, "Yeah the graphics are so bad on that game now I can't play it." Bitch its all about the gameplay and fun, who cares if the bad graphics in it were all they could do at the time.

I can tolerate the graphics, they're not particularly bad given the artstyle it has.
But the gameplay is shit. I like turn based games, but FFVII is braindead.

Which is a shame because I wanted to like this game, but after Midgar the game stopped being fun. And I gave up by the time you kill Barret's buddy.