Melee Thread

Why is this game so damn good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QF66L9UFvPo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nostalgia

Not video games. Fuck off

Because people ignore 70% of the unplayable roster.

Well aside from all of the great features and gameplay it also seems to trigger Cred Forums for some reason.

I main Mewtwo $ match me

>why do i have an opinion?

well the Nintendo shills don't like talking about when they're trying to sell tr4sh to people

Because it's not casual garbage and was made back when Nintendo still cared about video games.

I think you meant "shitpost"

my gf and me wanna get into comp melee
where to start? how to start?

its good because its fast and has a lot of tec options, really deep when you want to make it deep, but you can also play it as a casual party game. Then the other smashes came around... Melee being this deep was an accident and don't let faggot ass sakurai tell you otherwise.

Have someone main Peach and the other Puff or Sheik, then start winning doubles

it has good movement.
and movement that feels good and looks smooth makes it fun to play and exciting to watch.
more games need sick movement

first thing you have to know is that melee is actually hard as fuck so be patient as fuck
second thing is most if not all questions can be answered at smashboards.com
third pick a character and stick with them switching chars will get you nowhere at all,
Fourth top tiers are Fox, Falco, Marth, JIggs, Shiek, Cpt Falcon. The rest are pretty ass but don't let that discourage you if your really good character doesn't REALLY matter example: axe

This.
Instead of the dumbed down crap in Overwatch for example.

CASUAL MELEE DISCUSSION

Why in the ever loving hell has Fourside not returned to future smash games? Onett is shit compared to Fourside.

practice tech a lot.You can get better by only playing other people and improving your neutral but if you don't introduce tech then you well never improve totally as a player. Learn L cancelling first no matter the character.

Pick a character you like and play around with moves and get a feel for them. The very first tech that you MUST learn is L cancel and then wavedash.

one word
>Sakurai
he thinks he's a god and knows what he's doing, but sadly he has no idea and loves making shit decisions

The proper fourside was never a level anyways. I really liked the Magicant level on 3ds at least.

no matter what character you choose I recommend learning to wavedash with Luigi because he makes it really easy, but just so you get a feel for it after you understand how it works with luigi start using your main so you dont get spoiled with Luigis GOD TIER wavedash

Or use Ice climbers, I think Ice climber's wavedash is easier to execute and also of a more realistic distance compared to other characters.

thats true, but then you don't get the godly luigi noises while you do it
ooh ho ooh hoho ooh ooh ooh

ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya, ya

hey senpai,

The Smash House is streaming right now. Pools now

twitch polaritygg

kek

>Esam

>still another 2 weeks to go until the next major
>still won't have all the top 5 in attendance
>still no PP until next year
>hax is dead

So how is Hax? I know his hand is destroyed but what condition is it?

look up ssbmhax blogspot

Leffeb could be there.

I love that m2k shirt

>look it up
>mfw
Why the fuck won't they give him the surgery? Is it an easy to fuck up on the surgery or something?

Problems to recreate the UFO? Hackurai said they couldn't work out Melee stages into Smash 4; it's probably just spite johns.

>have dozens of doctors refuse the surgery
>not waiting until the last surgery heals properly
>doctor shopping until you find one that will agree with you

Hax is fucking retarded tbqh. He should get chokeslammed again

Did he loose? I hope he lost

Yep, went to game 5 though colbol took it.

Jesus, does melee really fuck up your hands that bad?

how are m2k's hands lately?

only if you go too shine heavy with fox. Mang0 and many other fox mains have been playing crazy for years and haven't developed any permanent damage. Playing fox WILL hurt your hands though until they build enough stamina.

His hands were a smokescreen for his poor mentality. Since joining EchoFox he's been pretty good.

our favorite little fuccboi, wizzy is coming up soon

I hate my brother so much.

is that from today?

This was some months ago. Timestamp for credibility

just play on dolphin it's literally the same shit and you don't need a crt for it.

Yes and No. I have a falcon buddy whose pretty fucking good and he got tendonitis and carpel tunnel in one hand from going to hard on tech practice. You are suppose to take 10-15 min breaks every hour or so, Also gotta do hand stretches or deadlifts to improve grip strength so your hands hurt less. You can also fap way too much to increase your hand stamina kek.

is link/young link underrated?

Armada had a pocket YL for a while, so he can't be that bad

Just get a fucking Wii and use a 20XX iso.
Netplay is shit. Nothing compares to a CRT on native melee.

>You can also fap way too much to increase your hand stamina kek
No wonder my melee skills came so naturally.
Young link maybe.

You can lame the fuck outta people until high level with them.

> started playing melee at college.
>Hands are starting to hurt
>don't even play fox
I'm not gonna end up like hax am I?

I believe Hax's case was something special that came from birth and really did some damage when he did that turnaround waveshines against that one Puff.

Wait deadlifts help with maylay? I already love deadlifts.
take breaks and learn some hand stretches

>getting a wii

Like other anons said you have to take breaks. Don't do stupid shit like practice hax dashing for an hour straight or something like that. and if they really hurt just stop playing for 2-5 days (or more), if anything your hands will be stronger after the extended break, at least that worked for me.

>not owning a softmodded wii

Why the fuck wouldn't you get a wii? Does everything a gamecube does and much more.

this channel should prove to be pretty helpful, don't be afraid to ask questions in twitch chat or on REDDIT

youtube.com/watch?v=QF66L9UFvPo

Is anybody on here PR'd? I'm not really even a notable player in my county yet. :'(

It's deep enough for people to think it's a serious Fighter and casual enough for people who can't play fighting games to enjoy it.

Basically, it it's the perfect sweetspot between approachable and in-depth for modern e-sports cancer to take hold.

Which tournament player are you?

>Netplay is shit. Nothing compares to a CRT on native melee.

Wew, you can play both locally and with right setup there's literally no difference. There are autists that have found certain CRT's to be shit for melee and it's same for monitors on dolphin.

Telling someone to "just play netplay" is pretty stupid sounding to me given that you can just softmod a Wii for way less money.

autists will sperg about almost everything given the chance

I'm one of the better players at my school, but the top guys destroy me and are legitimately good with sets off notable people. Feels bad, but I've only played for a year so it could be worse.

is it just me or does plup sound like the blur?

>casual enough for people who can't play fighting games to enjoy it.

Come on man, anyone who plays melee seriously can play fighting games; while a fighting game player would look like an American trying to play soccer if he played melee.

what character do you main my dude
nah

literally anyone can play melee, they'll just always look terrible for the first 2 months.

Invitationals are lame as fuck minus summit

Didn't know a gamecube adapter was out of your financial range, sorry user.

eat shit retard

>learned casual melee as a kid by playing with 'press up to jump'
>still can't re-teach myself to press x/y

It's fun to interact with the game on the most basic level of moving your character about a stage and so with everything else built on that the game itself is fun.

>first 2 months at least
try 6 months

any tips on getting good with marth and captain falcon?

I can wavedash and am still practicing SHFFLing

just do it, I learned how to soft press L cancel in like a week

git gud at pivoting as both characters, you can haxdash as either too but it's not as common with marth

Melee being faster and more responsive than Brawl or Smash 4 was not an accident. The insane, finger-blistering high tier play was though.

but then there would be no food that you can afford left.

wavedash am I right? xDDD

eh mate check out this shield drop L cancel edge guard waveshine dash dancing lol

It's Marvel vs Capcom 2 syndrome.

It's actually NOT all that great. Especially not for a competitive scene.

It's just the only thing people had to play for nearly a full decade, so they latched into it and never let go.

Start with a game that starts off good for its time, add childhood nostalgia and the kind of emergent depth that you'd get if you played literally ANY game for ten years straight, add a dash of Stockholm syndrome, and bam, there's Melee.

Except it's not a turn based fighter.

Marth and C falcon are two characters that lab work I think helps less than other characters, you really have to be in the field playing against other players and learning tech reads and spacing.

>emergent depth you'd get if you played literally ANY game for ten years straight

l o l

Brawl is almost ten years old and has yet to reach the level Melee was at in 2003. What the fuck are you on about?

To be fair there are a lot of character specific strategies in brawl.

Game and watch bucket braking for instance.

It's just that they dont impact the overall slower pace of brawl in the slightest.

melee is one of the best games for a competitive scene. are you stupid?

it's really fun to play, extremely difficult to perfect, and entertaining to watch.

sounds like you have your own issues.

>tfw couldn't sign up for Big House because must have competed in at least three Smashgg torunies

Truly I know leffen's pain

Because the gameplay make it a one of a kind, even with its bugs and unbalances. Unlike this retard , i think Melee still has a lot of people playing it because a proper successor doesn't exist.

I mean I guess if that's how you want to play them, but reaction tech chases work as well. Relying on one is pretty dumb since a good read can get you a stock really easily but reactions are way more consistent.

Bucket Braking and other momentum cancelling techs in brawl are easy as fuck and mean nothing. They require a single command, I bet even the casuls figured it out within a few weeks without the internet.

Are all characters viable?

Z canceling was in 64's manual and even then people didn't utilize it. Don't give people that much credit.

A skilled Kirby can beat any Roy.

It warn't in the manual, but on a website for the game.

comes down to the skill level senpai

This isnt Sm4sh user

>a proper successor doesn't exist

>forced 1 frame lag.

Sorry buddy. Also the philosophy of every character having a bread and butter 0-death ends up hurting the game.

PM or hacked sm4sh?

>complaining about 1 frame
it could be a lot worse

I was CONVINCED that PM was better than Melee until I d-aired someone as Ganondorf and they grab-armored it

PM I think is the bridge for communities. At least in my smash club it's a game in which wii u players can pick up characters they like playing in sm4sh and have them be viable.

>Also the philosophy of every character having a bread and butter 0-death ends up hurting the game.
hey guise magic scrotom here, what if every character was a boring mid tier and had no options

pm sucks

Id bet I can beat you with pichu

literally nobody is close to the best players. How is the same top 8 entertaining? You know who's gonna be in top 8 before the tourney even happens

there's no problem with 0-death combos user, the issue was that it took way less skill and execution than it should to reward you with a stock, which is why everyone in PM got nerfed in 3.5

If PM isn't good enough for people because it's "not enough like melee" then nothing else will be. Nintendo sure as fuck aren't going to make another smash game like melee and none of those ripoff games like rivals of aether will ever be popular. The competitive scene for the genre dies with melee.

SHDL are easier to do with tap jump; same with instant up airs, Swedish up airs and up smash out of shield. It would be better to learn to use both.

How is that different from any other fighting games top 8 players?

PM would be the next thing if it wasn't for S&D from nintendo. Nothing to do with people stuck in the hating everything but melee mindset.

>SHDL are easier to do with tap jump
pleb

PM isn't good enough because it's poorly designed garbage. Having Melee physics is irrelevant when everyone is designed like a Tr4sh autocombo character regardless.

just claw dude, way easier and opens up a lot more tech.

What the fuck happened with mango and his gf?

show me it happening in another game right now where the entire top 8 can be predicted. Not just 1 or 2 players the entire top 8

>Hey man let's make weekly entries 10 bucks
>Yeah that'll put the casuals away and let people who really want in on melee going
>get chaingrabbed 4stock by a sheik
>gg man see you next week :)

""our"" boy mango beats up his wife

In most moba's the top teams are almost always there.

t. clueless babby

I heard something like that happend but i could not find anything about it

You get that mixed up user.

He seems like the type desu
>white
>wifebeater shirts
>greasy black hair
>shady mustache and beard
>beady eyes

Chillin is our dude

She is fucking crazy and got arrested trying to stab PPMDs ex, I don't trust anything she says.

Thank good the top 8 bring great gameplay that keeps people entertained anyways.

Oh right, you're just a shallow minded retard that cares only about the players and probably spews that stream monster shit about balance whenever he can.

I'm not going to take mang0's side here but given her track record are you really going to take her word at face value?
the development team literally addressed the 0-death combos as a problem in the dev blogs, nice bait faggot

Mango's baby momma is actually just a huge bitch who's done more assaulting than Mango ever has

>Joseph Marquez
>White

Whale is fucking crazy. She is the one probably hitting him.

mobas don't have hundreds to thousands of entrants in open tournaments either you dum dum

in terms of players and qualifiers they certainly do

>all Hispanics are mixed
Che Guevara for example was full Scottish/Irish

Mang0 looks white regardless, besides his mustache

The lack of competition they face bothers me. I'm all for a game having consistent results, but if the same players can dominate for 10 years somethings wrong
its a team game dummy thats not how it works

You shouldn't spit on people, user. Even first graders know that.

>but if the same players can dominate for 10 years somethings wrong
It's just the players
Leffen was new blood and ended up being one of the best players in 2-3 years. If melee had the same kind of playerbase as LoL or something more diamonds would get turned up somewhere. Some people are just born with the talent and that's it.

>if the same players can dominate for 10 years somethings wrong

But it's not really the same players.

There are a handful of players that are extremely fucking good, and that have stuck around for a while. But there hasn't been a tournament with all six of them in a long while. There are tons of people who haven't been playing for more than 3 years who are getting really good tournament results, and there are upsets all the time, even against the so-called gods.

Nothing ever feels repetitive, except maybe for Hbox/Armada GFs, but even those aren't guaranteed.

I know nothing about the scene or game, but I can get some (you)'s with bad bait: the post

>but if the same players can dominate for 10 years somethings wrong
>10 years
Yeah, fucking Ken and Azen, amirite?
>somethings wrong
A game with a skill ceiling you can't hit in half an hour sure is a problem, thankfully Sakurai fixed that in Sm4sh

Funny thing is that upcoming players stop themselves from becoming better with the mentality that they'll never be good as their doc heroes.

It also doesn't help that most people following top players don't play Smash or don't go out to play with people. Case in point, Mang0 subs.

sorry he meant just 8 years :^) nothing wrong with that

Why are Meleefags so insecure?

Also isn't Mang0 in jail?

Meleefags fought with FGCfags for years and as a result act like a dog who grew up getting hit.

>Also isn't Mang0 in jail?
Only a real meleefag would use this tired bantz

he didn du nofing

All the insecure "Smash players" are stream monsters that more than likely never played the game offline or played "their" game for more than 30 minutes at a time.

he waveshined an officer during a night out with the senpai

Tons of people play melee but a handful of people are finally are getting to top 8 which is still behind the best players by a lot.

counter argue the bait than fampai

Of course the skill ceiling is high, but more than 4 people not being able to catch up is disgusting. It has to be the players fault at that point

Why is Mario so underrated? I'm honestly thinking of dual maining him with Fox because floaty cancer. Anyone got any tips? I've been maining Fox for a while so I'm pretty solid when it comes to floaties.

Play Dr. Mario

Pretty sure it's because his kill power is pathetic outside of fsmash and has bad range/mediocre priority. Mang0's mario is amazing though.

He's slower and combos less hard. Marios fair suicides give me immense pleasure.

>more than 4 people not being able to catch up is disgusting. It has to be the players fault that that point.

I don't think you understand how hard this game is my man. It takes like half a year to be comfortable with basic tech. No shield drops, no ledgedashes, no running laser powershields, no double shines out of shield. You still won't be good at neutral, your reactions will still suck, you wont be breaking any shields with pressure, your punish game will be lackluster and people will gimmick the fuck out of you and the bad habits you still have. If you honestly think it's that easy, pick up a controller and go to a local. Believe it or not, they are literally that good.

I'm thinking about picking up melee. Should I buy a wii and softmod or just use netplay?

if you have a CRT and people to play with get a wii. If your monitor has decent response time and refresh rate you can play lagless on netplay these days which is also nice.

damn straight

Shit, I have neither of those things. My internet is GOAT though. Do you know what's a good monitor?

Just get faster melee

CRTs are generally free, or like 10$ if you're willing to look around.

just like a gaming monitor. probably something with 120hz so that you have less than a frame of lag. keep in mind it's not the same as going to a local and playing on a CRT

It's okay. Somebody go back in time and #jailgimr so I can have my comfy project meme leak threads back.

>faster melee with HD textures and sub 30 ping

Getting the CRT isn't the problem, there's no one around to do locals with in the middle of nowhere, Kentucky

Almost every state has it's own facebook group
Take a look, you might be surprised.

I put on Smash 4 for the first time in months and double Peach is about to win a major.

This game is wack.

you really ought to find something even if its a monthly. netplay will help you with a lot of basic things but if you ever plan to go to something you'll get your ass kicked. honestly once you start playing with people its not the same since netplay is full of people who only try gimmicks or abuse the connection since being technical is way harder. there's probably a kentucky melee facebook page you can join.

It makes you feel special and deep

I miss PPMD.

Looks like there is a group here
facebookcom/events/100426947008672/
Time to go buy a wii. Thanks,guys

I went 0-2 in tournament which hasn't happened in 2 months. I have no neutral game, and my punish game is shit. Tips? I main Falcon

A top player also lost to guy who drowned at the Socal Arcadian

Who?

Abadango to B7Games.

what characters are you losing to? You can use 20XX to practice combos on bots with random DI at least

Fucking lel.

LGTSS:
>2 stock

Also even better
>tournament's name is 2GGT: Abadango Saga

Sm4sh is better

Why was it named this?

They tend to name it after a player usually.
The funny thing is that no one has won their own saga

F

>ywn save Kevin "Doctor Penis Penis" Nanney from low test and have him return at 100% to Shrek the Swedes once again

y liv

Melee is actually worse. if you grab a hitbox, not only do you not recieve the knockback, you don't take any damage at all

Worst of all, the guy who upset him was a Doc main.

You can meteor cancel Mario's f-air, it's stupid to try and get a suicide kill with it

Netplay is pretty good, it's a million times more convenient for most people and you don't have to waste time travelling to meet up with smelly ssbm players. If you haven't played for 10000 hours you might as well play netplay until you become good, then move to offline tournaments afterwards. Of course if it's just as convenient to play in person or you actually want to socialize then don't bother with netplay.

Where's the fun in playing a low tier and not swagging out?