Headsets

Headsets....
Ive been using the same set of Razer Kraken 7.1 for the last 5.5 years, and they are finally falling apart. I kind of have a brand loyalty to Razer at this point, but Ive heard that their parts are shit now. Anyone with experience or suggestions?

HyperX Cloud II
Sennheiser Game Zero

That's it. I own the cloud 2s and they are fantastic. I do own ps golds as my ex bought them for me as a birthday present since I was so excited about uncharted. They are okay.

HyperX is the best choice

Get a pair of real headphones. They're a thousand times better than gaming brands.

I have to have something with a mic and a normal price

and no, inline mics dont count

What's your budget?

up to $150

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is probably the best for your budget, no mic but they don't cost much.

If you are using headphones with an attached microphone, you are spending too much money on lower quality products

Philips SHP9500. They're like fiddy bucks. That won't make your wallet sore.

>no mic
no way jose

im not buying them for music im buying them for gaming

>im not buying them for music im buying them for gaming
They suck for audio, period.

My old Krakens have been good to me. They arent awe-inspiring, but they are pretty good

>not buying a Sennheiser Orpheus for gaming

>my headphones broke apart but they were completely fine
Your choice, I guess

Get a fucking tabletop mic. It's not like you wander around the house while you play. They are always better than the shitty headset microphones and if it breaks you don't have to replace both mic and headphones.

Fucking this with a V-MODA boompro, they're great together and shouldn't cost you more then 100

the earpads started coming apart and the cushioning was worn out on the top. 5 and a half years is a long time user

>buying gaming headphones

look, i cant afford to have a mic and headphones, im a college bachelor leeching off of scholarships and parents

>Can't afford to have a mic and headphones
>Budget of $150

>Razer

Holy shit are you 12?

>Kraken

Yeah you have to be 12.

>7.1

... Oh no, it's retarded

im not a wannabe pewdiepie thank you

>Right off the bat, the Kraken sounds dry and muted. The sound is compressed and soundstage is basically nonexistent. Razer also chose to make the Kraken bass-heavy. The bass lacks total control, isn’t musical at all, and sounds boomy. In fact, the bass response completely ruins all the other frequencies.

>The mids and highs sound raspy, and there’s no detail resolving ability. In terms of resolution, the Kraken falls short here too: S-sounds are replaced with sh-sounds, and the overall tone of the Kraken lacks depth.

>The Kraken 7.1 Chroma is mainly designed with appearance in mind, and I’m starting to feel like headsets that have LED lighting on them are mainly designed to be worn by sponsored esports players so that brands can show off which headset is being used. If the Kraken 7.1 Chroma was designed with advertisement in mind, I’d say it does this well. For everything else like gaming and music, your $100 is much better spent somewhere else.

You were saying you little faggot?

It seems that reddit is the right place for you.

>chroma
I got my kraken long before the chroma thing started happening. Ive been told that razer was shit lately, which is why im asking for suggetions

i came here for suggestions, not to defend my high school purchases

Getting headphones and a mic separate is the new "build your own pc." These people don't would rather pay more for less just because it's slightly more convenient. Again, they're paying more not even for the same thing, they're paying more for lower build quality and lower audio quality.

>i came here for suggestions, not to defend my high school purchases
But we're suggesting you buy them separately so you spend less and get more for your money.

>we're
go away sperg, youre the only one pushing seperate mic/headphones just so you can feel better about your personal choices

Sennheiser 598 + Modmic

is the cloud 1 good too? im thinking of getting it or the cloud 2 but its a bit pricy

Here is your (You).

>buying gayming headsets

Don't, get something marketed towards normal use. So many reasons not to go with gaming sets, especially gimmicky 7.1 headphones

How does buying more for less a bad choice. I'm not the other user but it is just dumb to buy overpriced crappy headsets.

Keep buying overpriced gaming headsets man. If parting with your money so easily makes you feel so good about yourself, I won't argue with you.
I'm not the only one in this thread arguing for separate mic and headphones. Others are. And so do many others on the wider internet.
Of course there are good gaming headsets with good sound and decent mic quality, they're just outliers in a usually very overpriced market segment.

Go ask on the headphone general on Cred Forums, on /r/headphones or even on other gaming forums.

Because im not shopping for a separate mic, i specifically want it in one piece. I am not looking for a 10/10 mic and 10/10 headphones that work together, im looking for the best headset.

ill be going through the suggestions earlier in the thread

ATH AD700
ATH M50/*
Sennheiser hd518
Phillips SHP 9500
Sennheiser HD 280

Have all of them, I like to try new things and can't turn down the deals (all were 50-70 on sale)
Personally I use the Phillips and the hd518s the most, the phillips are like wearing "nothing at all" and are the best I've used for extended wear. Ad700s are a close second for comfort, but both kinda require a larger head to stay on.
I honestly wouldn't reccomend the ath m50/whatevers anymore, just not that great.

Don't get dj headphones, hd280 is my only major regret (m50s are dj too, but much more comfortable).

>headphone general on Cred Forums
ok

if you're really committed to going for a headset, don't go with another 7.1 set. audio quality is gonna be even shittier than usual because of having 7 separate drivers in the same headphones, they're more likely to break because of having 7 separate drivers packed in the cramped headphones, and i doubt you'd even tell the difference between 2.1 and 7.1 in a headset, that's the kind of thing you need to hear from a proper speaker setup to notice.

If you give so little of a fuck, why not just get the cheapest headset you can find?

This. Also because there are so many small drivers in the cup, surround cans tend to sound tinny. They also can't deal with high volume because they start distorting quickly. The surround effect is pretty neat though, if a bit constrained and shitty-sounding.

2.1 + the best soundcard you can afford.

I'd just focus on the headset first, dedicated soundcards are really nice for the clearer sound (that buzzy interference is a lot quieter) but they're more of a luxury item than anything. Spend your cash on the headset you want, and then if you're bothered by white noise or just want clearer sound get a sound card, a good one since unlike a graphics card or CPU those really don't need to upgraded.

op here, on laptop

If you wanna go turbo autist about this there are external USB 3.0 sound cards that are actually better than the internal ones (more distance from the mobo means less interference), but honestly I don't expect you to have a sound card dangling from your laptop, managing the headset cord, mouse,and charger is enough cable management for a laptop.

I like two baked bean cans with some string its really good and produces a great 360 soundstage which is handy for gaming

Fuck off

Fuck you

Get fucked