I've never played Neverwinter nights before Cred Forums

I've never played Neverwinter nights before Cred Forums

Should I?

Is it similar to KOTOR?

also, should I download the one with the "premium modules" ?

No, just play A Dance with Rogues.
Everything else is relatively shit.

bump

Can't contribute to the topic, but I'd like to see what other anons think about this. Bumpety bump bump.

It's one of the most disappointing games I've played in my life. Before NWN Bioware made Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 both epic games and licensed their engine that was used to make Icewind Dale 1 & 2, both great games, and motherfucking Torment.

I expected another Baldur's Gate - except in 3D. NWN wasn't that. It was multiplayer oriented and simplified, the writing was weak and dumb and the game was piss easy. Basically, NWN was for casuals. And modders. It was Skyrim before there was Skyrim.

The only reason to play it nowadays are multiplayer communities and sex mods.

The epic level expansion is the only part worth playing

Hordes of the underdark or whatever

Make a Cleric for easy mode.
Make a Fighter for boring mode
Make a bard for hard mode.

Don't use companions - be a man and be a hero yourself.

The official campaign is awful and leagues below the game that came before this one, Baldur's Gate 2.

The first expansion pack is okay-ish and the second is pretty good.

Some user-created modules are quite nice and the multiplayer, ranging from duel arenas (this game has the best mage duels of all time) to RP servers, was fucking god-like back then. But I've no idea if anyone is playing it nowadays.

KOTOR is essentially a watered down Neverwinter Nights game in the Star Wars universe. Great games but skip the original campaigns as they are somewhat bland.

Neverwinter Nights is hardly simplified. Third edition rules are far more complicated than Baldur's Gate 1 or 2.

>Third edition rules are far more complicated than Baldur's Gate 1 or 2.

What...

Skip the OC, play the expansions, play Aielund Saga, Honor among Thieves, ADWR, and Swordflight.

Make a monk for god mode.

In BG1 and 2 all you do is roll for ability scores, pick weapon proficiencies, and later pick HLAs. You can dual class too. Tell me how that is more complex than the skill/multiclass/feat system of 3E. One of the biggest criticisms of 3E is that there's too much shit compared to 2E.

Also side quests are for pussies, ignore all of them.

Do you know how much math there is in 2nd edition? And Neverwinter Nights uses 3.5, which is the simplest system before 5th.

Please explain 2E AC and THAC0 and why they are simpler 3.5 combat.

>math is hard
Fucking America.

NWN isn't 3.5
>rolling dice to calculate a hit a few more times makes your game more complex

>Please explain 2E AC and THAC0
I never got this thac0 and Ac are hard to understand meme, once you know lower is better it's pretty straightforward

It's not a very good game to go back and play now. You have to put up with the obtuse DnD mechanics and there's not that much reward for doing so. It was made as an attempt to simulate the DnD experience in a video game as well as could be done, and in a lot of ways it succeeded, but the real point of it was to create modules and play them online with your friends. The main game campaign exists because they had to have one, and is not very good.

The best part of it was the second DLC, Hordes of the Underdark, which in its best moments had a bit of the same otherworldly flavor as Planescape: Torment, but without the compelling narrative. Overall it's a mediocre experience with a few bright spots. It's worth playing if you're super into classic CRPGs and just need to devour as many of them as you can, but you're probably best off skipping it otherwise.

nigger there's hundreds of singleplayer only modules for NWN1 and 2 the games are very much still worth playing

Skip the first campaign, go straight to SotU+HotU.
There are a few user-made modules that connect both campaigns (they're supposed to be played with the same character but they have a 5 level gap between them) so you could try them to start getting into user-made modules.

If you liked the gameplay just look for a module hall of fame and play what you like.

How do I play NWN with Cred Forums?

If you're really into the dungeon crawling and combat mechanics of DnD for some inexplicable reason, sure. If you want an experience like KOTOR2, no, it's not.

You underestimate the writing ability of users. Even smut modules like ADWR have better world building, choices, and use of speech checks than any AAA computer RPG. There are some well done storyfag modules for both games.

Have a bunch of Cred Forums memer friends

kek I did exactly the same

NWN was great for mutiplayer. Had an easy to use toolset and a fantastic DM client.
The main campaign and the expansions are enjoyable. There is a shit ton of lore and side quests that honestly put a lot of modern games to shame.
To the game's credit, it does a great job of allowing you to roleplay basically whatever kind of character you want.
The expansions, Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark are much better.
Community made mods are the best though.
A dance with rogues is god tier.
Mods by Adam Miller, such as Dreamcatcher are also great.
A Hunt Through The Dark series is also a lot of fun.

Knockdown, improved critical, or extra smiting?

Unironically this. Alternatively play NWN2 instead because it has manageable party members like a real cRPG as well as MotB

Didn't know I was playing all these fake cRPGs like Fallout

A real-time game where you control one character is MMO shit, which is why the argument always devolves into >b-but it's fun with friends!

Ultima 7 is my favorite MMO.