This board has been so cynical. Name one game that came out this year that you loved and had fun with...

This board has been so cynical. Name one game that came out this year that you loved and had fun with. Why did you like it? What did you think it could do better?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fECeZuANP2U
twitter.com/AnonBabble

SMT Apocalypse

I just started playing the new Ratchet and Clank a few hours ago. I'm fucking floored. Talk about great first impressions. That music. Those graphics. That unabashed self-poking fun. I'm in love.

Digimon story cyber sluts
Looking forward to more digimon in 2017!

Uncharted 4

Great story, great graphics for a console.

Could do better? Not be the last fucking installment.

I wouldn't say I loved it, but I definitely enjoyed XCOM 2 and played it for quite a bit

>Name one game that came out this year that you loved and had fun with.
Hitman 6

>Why did you like it?
It's the return of the Hitman series after a decade of nothing but bullshit

>What did you think it could do better?
If it wasn't Early Access Always-Online it'd be an 11/10

TW: Warhammer. DLC's kind of shit and overpriced, but I'm a jobfag so it doesn't really matter and I have 300 hours in it. Still play it every day.

>that came out this year
Obduction.
>Why
Cyan always makes good puzzle/adventures.
>Could be better
It was a bit short, had few puzzles, and really overused the Obduction mechanic on the Green world. Like holy fuck.

What's funny is, two of the games I'm looking forward to come out next week and a Beta for another as well.

alien isolation.

It was a good alien game for the franchise.
It was spooky.

>select all squars with an airplane
>meticulously select every squar with an airplane (theres like 12)
>didnt work
>select all squares with a street sign
>rush it and realize as i hit enter that i missed 4 squares with a street sign in the bottom right
>it works
how the fuck does this shit work?

>this year

XCOM 2

It took the original game and improved on it in almost every way like a sequel should.
And before anyone spergs out I have played the old ones and like those a lot as well.

The performance was ass at release and they could have made that better as well as a lot of bugs.

First playthrough of Dark Souls 3 was pretty fun
Less linearity would obviously be better, but I'm still a bit excited for the dlc

I want to say monster hunter gen but it was pretty mediocre

I can name 2 from the top of my hat.
Furi
Valhalla

>Why did you like it?
F: tight gameplay - MGR on drugs, great OST, nice visuals
V: great OST, comfy as fuck, serviceable writing, just enough gameplay elements

F: French voices were shit which is odd for a French game, could have used some shit to do in between fight to reward exploration rather than bee-lining to the next guardian.
V: Bar tending mini-game could have been deeper, with a time limit or a limited stock of ingredients to manage

I'm sure there were more.
Also this was the year I could finally run TW3 properly and that was probably my "GOTY" albeit not technically.

Oxenfree! Just finished it a couple of days ago and it was so good

Stellaris though it needs a lot of work.

End game needs to be something else since it just gets tedious, need a way for none warmongering nations to stand a chance of winning.

Add mabey mini crisis since those happen to be the funnest things about the game, maybe add a few more crisis type to keep up diversity. Also make warscore amounts for subjugating nations lower because it's REALLY fucking annoying have to break up a larger nation up 5 times before I'm able to subjugate them all.

I'm loving DQ 7. Haven't played an old school JRPG in years.
Love the story and gameplay.
I just wish it was a little more challenging.

Stellaris. I fucking loved the game. I put over 200 hours in it within the first month.

The game has its problems, but I like the changes they're making, and playing multiplayer campaigns is a different beast entirely from solo.

Not GOTY material, but definitely worth the money I spent on it.

Furi needed a vs. mode with playable bosses.

>how the fuck does this shit work?
It doesn't

Blood and Wine was fantastic, but Detlaff was a shit character

I'm loving the living fuck out of Homefront: The Revolution.

There is no world in which it's a 5/10 game. No. World.

>inb4 bugs.

Yeah, but it has the same amount of bugs as any Elder Scrolls game. Literally.

The Revolution is a good fucking game.

>inb4 shill.

I once got a Street signs Captcha with a fence.
I selected the whole fence and it got accepted.
The only ones that actually work 100% of the time are the Shops and "Choose all Street Signs, then next, skip if none" you do twice.

I genuinely can't think of any. Not counting re-releases.

Stellaris probably comes closest, but I didn't love it. Just enjoy it. It doesn't have the charm that a historical setting has, and I prefer the more traditional grand strat to 4X games. But I've had my fun with it. I really love the research system, it might be a bit RNG, but every time a new research is available I get excited.

Dark Souls 3 I would probably love but I'm waiting for a cheaper GOTY edition before I play that.

Let's just say right now my backlog is considerably shorter.

my favorite game was Cred Forums

it's a game where a bunch of faggots run around to avoid having a bad feeling about anything ever and you have to chase them down and call them pussies or they won't grow up learn not to be swayed by someone else's negativity

kill yourselves

lol

Use the legacy one instead. Infinitely easier.

Fuck that. I always reset on street sign captcha and sandwich captcha

Ain't no fucking bot going to tell me a burger is a fucking sandwich

Dark Souls 3
Zero Time Dilemma
Stranger of Sword City
Dragon's Dogma PC
Tales of Symphonia HD PC
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Danganronpa 1 and 2 PC
Disgaea PC
Furi

And probably many more.

who hurt you user

did your dad get mad about your shadow the hedgehog collection again?

A burger is a sandwich with different end-pieces.

Anyway, just got this Captcha, it's a 2-step page and always goes by faster than any other.

>Game
Mirror's Edge Catalyst
>Why
I love the original and had so much fun just running about in the open world of this one. I've logged at 80 hours and still don't have everything yet. The gameplay is so much better than the first one, the controls are super smooth and tight.
>What could it do better?
Story. It was short, cliche and had way too much exposition. Almost every character was a stereotype, voice acting wasn't very good and the story went way too fast. You get merely 1 normal "mission" from Noah, your caretaker, before some small events happen and he literally dies a little over halfway through the game.

If the story was better I would've given this game a solid 10/10 because gameplay, atmosphere, music, and visuals were all spot on. Sadly a story is kinda what holds a narrative game together, and if that fails the whole thing kinda falls apart.

The ass is fat but lord does she have issues.
Shes probably into bdsm so which is a plus

Ground Zeroes. I never played it before because I didn't want to spend cash on a demo, but I grabbed it on discount. So concise and tight, and a hell of a lot more tough than The Phantom Pain. I still play Mission 1 on Hard just for that stormy night tactical infiltration aesthetic.

I dont know if I LOVED Persona 5 but I had fun with it.

Only one?

I'll go with Technomancer because I have a thing for b-RPGs and Technomancer was ok.
Spiders seem to be really trying and each game is adventurous enough to stand out. But then I mostly like b-RPGs.

There is a nearly unending list of theings it could have done better though. Combat is a fucking joke, once again the only choice that has meaning is the one at the end and the final boss is post story climax so you're fighting something that isn't really an antagonist.

Also that fucking final boss was piss easy with warrior and guardian styles and damn near impossible with rogue.

Why are so many people making "end-of-the-year" type threads? It's September.

I might actually play through that series now. Thanks.

Seems underrated.

Well this year I've not bought many games 'cause I had to save up 1600€ for a PC to play all the stuff that isn't coming to xbox One in the nest few years but I got some games from friends that I enjoyed:
>DooM (2016)
>Dark Souls 3 (although I've only played about 3 hours so far)
>Destiny Year 3 (Rise of Iron)
Probably lots more but I have shit memory and I'm sleepy as fuck right now

Morgana has the best All Out Finish.
Classy as fuck desu.

>tfw we could have had a TPP that was basically GZ but with more levels but instead we got Peace Walker: Ubisoft Edition

Still hurts.

Good taste.

I'm not very far through Rise of the Tomb Raider but.
Fuck when did this game come out? Nevermind.
I'm really enjoying Overwatch. It's got a huge collection of problems, like solo queueing and the horrific character balancing, but I'm still enjoying it. It's like a different art style TF2 and boy if that's not what I've been looking for.

Stardew Valley
Liked it because I like harvest moon and this has more content and a lot of features that HM needed for years.

It still needs more end-game content though, as you'll be done with 95% of the game roughly one year in, and you don't get to the ending until year two.

I've read lots of critics on how the game suffered from it's OST being too generic and nowhere near the original tho

Is it really not that bad? I'm really interested in this game because Mirrors Edge is one of my all time favourites but I haven't gotten around to play Catalyst yet

Overwatch. I've been waiting on it since the announcement since TF2's community had been destroying my brain. I got in the beta and was hooked. It's nice knowing what every hero is capable of since there is only one loadout. I also just really like destroying shitters who have never played an FPS before Overwatch.

I haven't tried the new ranked, but I'm sure there is room for improvement somewhere. The only ranked I've ever liked was Rocket League.

Oh I guess Rise of the Tomb Raider came out on PC this year.
It's pretty good so far, but it runs like ass on my computer. Maybe I'm being petty but I really think that's an optimization problem, because my computer isn't that bad just yet.

Odin Sphere was a port, but I loved the shit out of it.
Fire Emblem Conquest was also really fun, even if the story was shit.

how do you change it?

>cynical
then fuck off piss babby

How was the port?
Many story changes or what?

Settings upper right or bottom right, Quotes and Replying.

The settings tab? I don't know, I use 4chanX so it might be different for you.

Pretty sure it's just visual changes, and then the gameplay was tweaked to be more like modern Vanillaware.
Considering how much I love Muramasa, I loved the shit out of it.

Holy fuck. Many thanks anons.

Music is subjective, go give it a listen on Spotify and see if you like it. It's more reminiscent of Solar Fields' old work than the original ME OST. It definitely suits the game though.

If you liked the original you'll most likely like Catalyst. I'm not going to lie, you're going to find the campaign short, and will probably feel underwhelmed at the ending (all I'll say is "it's not very good"), but if you can find enjoyment with just running around the city at your leisure and enjoying the atmosphere, it's worth the $40.

Here's a good rip of some music if you don't feel like using Spotify
youtube.com/watch?v=fECeZuANP2U

Overwatch is the first game in long while that I actually had fun with. Eye catching colors, nice graphic style. Interesting and instantly recognizable characters. The game play is solid and most heroes feel satisfying to play. The complaints I have is that the meta is terribly unbalanced. Every team comp is practically the same in higher levels, I would certainly love to see more rebalances to make other heroes more viable. The competitive mode is kind of wonky, I have no clue how to fix it, but it is. Queueing with trashy people and always losing because there's always those 2 people who refuse to play anything other than Symmetra and Bastion and losing Comp. Points is annoying. Other than that, the game is a solid new IP

None. I literally don't think I've had fun with a game for at least 3 generations.
Watching all the latest AAA flops and bombs on Cred Forums is more fun than any game is to me.

Postal Redux

>Why did you like it?
It took the original game and updated it to have better controls and the difficulty came from the game providing some real difficulty rather than the original jank or the controls. I've only been stunlocked in Redux once. Co-op is also a fucking blast.

I wish it would of came with the Special Delivery and Super Postal levels at launch, but no real complaints I can think of, except that the in game chat breaks sometimes and load times used to be absolute dogshit.

Haven't you heard? Being a cynical, negative piece of shit is cool now.

Normally I'd be annoyed by that but since my Vita got busted I was thinking of splashing out for it on my next shopping binge.

thanks user, I'll give it a try soon as I get some money

Overwatch

Doom 2016
>Why did you like it?
Mosty of the time straight to the point, fun gunplay, plenty of shit to do, satisfying FPS overall.
Less MP bullshit, more solo stuff. Either that, or actually good multiplayer, dammit.

Why do bitter teenagers come here to complain about video games to other bitter teenagers who don't listen to them

Donno boss.
Could be that people like to bitch and moan about the things they like.

AM2R is my fucking GOTY
and it's not even an official game

the game was awesome, a love letter to the fans, beautifully crafted and composed
such passion and dedication will be remembered

misery loves company

Yume Nikki. I have a thirst for RPGs with an emotional punch. It wasn't a feels-fest, but the exploration of it was amazing. I've never felt such a sense of discovery and wonder as wandering around those surreal scapes. It felt like looking at abstract, kinda spooky art as a kid and being mystified and amazed by what's going on in that world.

The Witness.
How it makes you learn new rules and mechanics one by one without ever really explaining anything is just amazing game design.
The light angle puzzles were annoying though, and the hidden environmental lines could've been used for more

Brigador
>Why did you like it?
Music and artstyle are great, love the gunplay and vehicle physics. Lore is pretty good, too. Even has a fucking novel/audiobook to accompany it.
Mission/campaign design. Would have been great to have more complex elements or some kind of metagame on top of the individual missions. More complex enemy AI behaviours (for certain enemies/factions at least) would also helped to make each mission/engagement you get into more diverse. Also multiplayer would have been cool, but its lack doesn't really take away from the game.

I recognize those Unity lights!

>TW: Warhammer.
This. I didn't really care about it up until release and ended up loving the shit out of it.

I also loved XCOM 2 and really love the added ambush mechanic and mission timers that really made you seem like insurgents engaging in guerilla warfare. Only flaw that really bothers me was that DLC that added those artificially difficult bosses that got an action to move every time you made an action during YOUR turn. What the fuck were they thinking?

>Unity
It's a custom-made engine though.

It's shit.

Furi.

Loved the look, music, atmosphere, basically everything relating to the art and visual design. The enemies were all so different looking, and they also had a lot of variety in encounter design. Each one felt unique and required you to approach them in slightly different ways. I loved the multi phase fights and how they switched between reflex based melee combat and something akin to a bullet hell shooter. The sections between fights were also comfy and chill. Furi is a good ass video game.

Cry Of Fear

Atmospheric and scary. That's all I wanted from it.

Wolf girl with you

Liru is love

Not enough screetime for Liru