youtube.com/watch?v=e9m5dCKdtAI
youtube.com/watch?v=k7D0U_RhH-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

xenoblade chronicles tho...

good but nothing close to gears

>what happened?
the industry became too big for experimental AAA
games to be made anymore

Not enough games are written by crazy people.

What about Saga?
What's your opinion on Xenosaga senpai

>17 years later and the game still not complete

I'm actually on disc 2 of episode 3. I'm liking 3 more than 1 and 2, but still story wise it doesn't reach gears unless some crazy shit happened in disc 2

sad that there is no remake

Games have had good stories, but the setting of Xenogears is what fucking nailed it to the peak of video game storytelling.

Final Fantasy VII has a better story than Xenogears.

>typical jRPG plot of save the world while saving the girl
>OK MINNA-SAN, LET'S THROW IN THESE WESTERN RELIGIOUS NAMES AND REFERENCES IN TO MAKE THE PLOT SOUND DEEP, D E S U
>KUSO, WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY'RE "REALLOCATING" HALF OUR BUDGET FOR FINARU FANTAJI EIGHTO?! DAIJOBU, WE JUST MAKE THE SECOND DISC CUTSCENES ONLY

Like almost jRPG stories, it starts out with someone having a mission/journey from a small home town that ends up becoming a "save-the-world" quest from a world-destroying god while saving your gf. This one just had an extra twist of "soylent green is people"

Are you serious, OP?

Gears and Saga I are Takahashi's worst games and despite the great ideas Gears is a shit story.

That's easy, you stupid weeb.

Witcher 3
Bioshock Infinite
Fallout 4

All masterpieces in storytelling.

That's most quests/epics in general, user.

Xenogears had some better beats than average but the execution in both discs botches it.

Now if only the game were playable.

It's not the main plot that was good, it was the world building and all the extra lore behind it. All the backstory that leads up to the main events are what were interesting.

though honestly if it was a manga or anime I wouldn't have cared about it. The earthy feel of the game and slow pace is what kept me going.

>The "Xenogears has great writing!" meme.

Everything about Kislev is shit.
Most of Billy's chapter is shit.
Maria's "arc" is shit.
Domina's shoehorned in backstory is shit.
Elly's Gebler Squad shouldn't even exist.
Citan is a huge fucking Mary Sue.
Too much early shit is discussed at length while other stuff isn't even shown.

>Citan is a huge fucking Mary Sue
>a traitor that let's his friend suffer
>marry sue

The flavor text is nice, but the pacing is shit. Shevat should have been within three hours of Vanderkaum.

Most of those weren't pretty good. RPGs were better when they had a lot these extra plot arcs.

Final Fantasy VII was my first rpg on the PS, then the following year, I played Xenogears. Xenogears has left the biggest impact on me bar none. It is without a doubt my all time favorite game.

>Bioshock Infinite

why did you bother replying?

>2016.
>Square wont even dare consider giving their glorious god game a glorious godly remake with the intention of finishing everything.
>Instead lets have more Final Fantasy 15x2 and shit.
>Most likley for the best, Square would fuck it up, Fei would be even more emo and voiced by Gackt.

>Did it to actually help them all along.
>Instantly forgiven.
>All of his gambles are "correct" in the end.
>Was secretly holding back all along ;^)

He's a fucking huge Mary Sue and Takahashi's pet character.

I'd only want a XG remake if SE joined up with nintendo (monolith soft)

If you think this game had a good story you're mentally retarded or just too young to understand what a good story it.

>The Gazel Ministry uses the Gaetia Key, an artifact that manipulates the DNA of massive amounts of humans around the world, turning them into mutants called Wels in order to collect flesh to reconstruct a god called Deus that crash-landed on the planet ten thousand years ago.[26] During this time, Elly and Fei become romantically involved with each other.[27] They learn that they are the reincarnations of Sophia and Lacan. Lacan was a painter while Sophia was the Holy Mother of Nisan around the time of the war between Shevat and Solaris five-hundred years earlier. Lacan blamed himself for Sophia's death during the war and, with the help of Miang, became Grahf and sought to destroy the world. Although defeated, he and Miang have transmigrated their minds into other humans since. Krelian and Miang dispose of the Emperor and the Gazel Ministry because they are no longer necessary and kidnap Elly, the Mother, who must be sacrificed in order to revive Deus. Miang is killed by an enraged Ramsus as he realizes he has been used, and Elly turns into Miang, becoming absorbed by Deus. Fei, as Id, attempts to make contact with the Zohar. Wiseman, who reveals himself to be Fei's father, stops him, giving peace to Fei's other personalities. Fei's gear transforms into the Xenogears and Grahf appears, revealing that he had been inside Fei's father's body.[28] At this time, Fei makes contact with the Wave Existence—an extra-dimensional being who is trapped inside Deus and is the source of power for all gears—and learns that he must destroy Deus to free humanity. Grahf, who tries to merge with Fei, is defeated.

This shit is hilariously bad.

I dont know man, I found Ghost Trick's story to be the most tightly knit and written story in video gaming.

there is literally nothing wrong with this if you have the context of the backstory

that's kinda funny because iirc xenogears was first submitted as the story for ff7.

>The Gazel Ministry uses the Gaetia Key, an artifact that manipulates the DNA of massive amounts of humans around the world, turning them into mutants called Wels in order to collect flesh to reconstruct a god called Deus that crash-landed on the planet ten thousand years ago.[26] During this time, Elly and Fei become romantically involved with each other.[27] They learn that they are the reincarnations of Sophia and Lacan. Lacan was a painter while Sophia was the Holy Mother of Nisan around the time of the war between Shevat and Solaris five-hundred years earlier. Lacan blamed himself for Sophia's death during the war and, with the help of Miang, became Grahf and sought to destroy the world.

All of this is fine.

Weird and a bit silly, but not shit. It's the second half you're quoting where it goes to shit.

>Xenogears remake on the WiiU
No thanks, I would rather it stay on the system it was made on, if that makes sense, plus I am scared Nintendo will do its classic "it wontu do goodu in the westu, fuckau baka gajinu"

>mfw currently playing it for the first time
That OST, that combat, that jump button in a PS1 RPG, that story.

considering every xeno game is on the weakest console of its generation it won't matter much

I don't know, guy. All that stuff is pretty interesting, like a comic book story. It doesn't need to be Dostoevsky shit to be a good story.

how far in are you?

>He hasn't reached the end of the Campaign for Aveh.

You poor child. Savor it. The first ten hours of Xenogears are precious.

I know, but my nostalgia autism kicks in and its sorta like playing Resident Evil on anything other then Playstation regardless of the N64, Dreamcast and PC releases.

Plus I just remembered how bad they fucked up Parasite Eve 3, now I feel sad all over again.

Xenogears' story was just the mish mash of various popular 90's anime.

The problem is it needs at least 4 discs or maybe even several games to explain all this garbage properly. Instead it waits until disc 2 (about 30-40 hours into the game) before it even begins to introduce 90% of the plot. By that stage the game is wrapping up, they had completely run out of money and they had to shoehorn it all in via static storyboards instead of actual gameplay.
Ambitious yes, but they completely fucked it up. It is some of the worst writing you can witness in video games.

Played it but didn't accept that the plot was something so incredible as everyone likes to point.

The ending of disc 1 and disc 2 were unbearable and unlike other JRPGs it didn't had anything going on that kept you away from random encounters enough time, which is the cancer killing JRPGs.

>like a comic book story
Exactly. Comic book stories are notorious for being shit.

just defended Yggdrasil and the base from invading Gears.
Now helping with the rescue mission next I guess.

what's the battle system like? Thinking of trying gears and saga soon.

If they had paced the game properly (cut down on Fei's early adventures, axe Kislev, skip most of the Ethos stuff, etc), the game could have been salvaged.

Karellen should have been introduced seven-to-ten hours in, not 30.

You are LITERALLY playing the best part of the game, user.

The second you end up in Kislev, you will NEVER reach these highs again.

That's about as far as I made it, and I disliked it greatly.

Oh look, a zennogeers shirt!

XC had a lousy story.

user stop commenting on what expectations to have, just let them play the game

>Maria's "arc" is shit.
There is that shitty on foot dungeon, but it's over in ten minutes if you just down omegasol and nuke everything. The rest is the highest quality bits of Xenogears. The spotlight comes off of Fei for a few minutes to have the whole cast separate and fight battles in different locations, Chu-Chu gets a heroic moment and the best mech joins with the best song playing
youtube.com/watch?v=MQi7vk9Yzdk
literally my favorite part of Xenogears

wut, no they're not. The game doesn't kick into high gear until after Thames

the game hasn't even started

don't listen to this retard, the high point is end of disc1/beginning of disc 2

In Gears
you have light heavy and fierce attacks.
That cost 1, 2 and 3 points respectivly to use and you have a set ammount of points you can use per turn which increases with level ups.
So for example you can use 2 light and 1 heavy attack or 2 heavy attacks per turn.

Using different combinations lets you learn special moves that are than triggered by those combinations.

Besides that you can also use typical magic stuff.

interesting. I might give a go tomorrow.

You can also use just a light attack and store up your unused combo points to go crazy and do five special moves at once, which is really impractical but looks cool as shit and comes in handy with the two or so bosses who counter every attack you throw at them
Talk to Lucca in the first town if you want to know more

gears is very simple, think slightly more involved than FF

every saga game has different battle systems. XS1 is good but it's convoluted and slow. XSII speeds up the battles but because of how it works (finding enemy break points) some battles can take forever. XSIII has the best system, it fixes the break system from II as well as having the most balanced options.

Oh in xenosaga I you can't switch out characters mid battle, this can fuck you over on boss battles

It basically just boils down to spamming combos until you unlock death blows, and then spamming the death blow combinations over and over again. There's no strategy involved.

It's an example of a system that might have been interesting if not for the fact that it's a JRPG and thus the gameplay was an afterthought.

Xenogears is probably the game with the most interesting themes, and probably my favourite story overall, but that doesn't mean it was perfect. Most of its problems are because of the rushed release, and left a lot of plot points unfinished, a very messed up pacing and was also unable to give more exposition and further develop its extremely interesting themes.

That being said, the material that there is in the game (let alone Perfect Works) is more than enough to have one of the most fascinating stories I've seen in a game. To call it pretentious is missing the point completely. You are the one that decides to find meaning in things, and while a lot of other games may have a much better structured and developed plot, I've yet to play a game that impacted me as much as this one on this aspect. Actually, this game started my fascination with the concept of god and I feel like it was completely intended.

It's OK to not like it of course, the game doesn't make much of an effort in being liked.

Is this a "guide game" where you miss have the shit unless you have maps?

Gears is good
Saga 1 is also good
Saga 2 is bad
Saga 3 might be my favorite battle system in any videogame

HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you have enough money, go buy an Ether Doubler user, the damage you can do is ridiculous

Not too much of a loss, a remake without Takahashi would be dire.

I really wish that the rights would find themselves to Monolith somehow.

Nier's story is better.

I think the term "pretentious" gets thrown around way too often anyways.
There's nothing wrong with keeping some things up for interpretation or using a ton of bible references as long as it actually works in the story.

Something like the second half of Ergo Proxy is truly pretentious.
Takahashi seems genuinely interested in the themes he tackles in his games and obviously did a ton of research on it.
For example Blade is filled with references to gnosticism to the point where even something like the city name Alcamoth is a reference that makes complete sense inside the games story.

Nier's story is nothing special either.

over 90% of the people who shit talk xenogears story here didn't understand it, most still think you kill god at the end

Saga III is pretty good, but most of the good comes from XG cameos.

I'd do just about anything for a remake. It's all I want from Square. Just put the FFVII Remake in the goddamn trash and give me disc 2.

You are very delusional if you think this.

>Implying there is any functional difference between a Demiurge character and God.

Half of all JRPGs are gnostic, there's nothing to not understand.

considering the actual God is in the game there is, the demiurge of XG is a bioweapon confined to a single planet anyway

Why haven't they remade Xenogears and recreating the 2nd part how they originally wanted too before they had to cut almost everything?

Because SE owns the rights, and they don't care enough to spend the extra money to create the original planned game.

are there sidequests in Xenogears?

Stopped playing this shit after rescuing Margie and so far the story was generic as fuck
Does it get better or is this overrated as FFVll?

But in the end, I still think that pretentious is an empty and pointless word.
Authorial intent is important, but not essential. Even though Oshii himself admitted there was no deeper meaning in Angel's Egg, I bet that didn't stop people in finding tons of different interpetations to it, and they are perfectly valid. As an author, you can try your hardest at making a very deep story, but eventually, you can't control what people will think, and they will make his own version of it but also be potentially just as meaningful.

Yeah, that's pretty much the fastest way to spot them. Or they just read the fucking wikipedia article.

But that's one of the things the game was trying to talk about, at least from my view. To call Deus (Yahweh in the Japanese version) just "God" because he's a demiurge is being overly simplistic about it. Specially considering something like the Wave Existence is a lot more fitting to the title even if it says it's not a God. But to humans, any incomprehensibly superior life form would be indistiguishable from a god anyway. But then, what is God? A creator like Deus or a infinitely superior existence like the Wave? That's the kind of stuff where Gears gets extremely fascinating to me.

in disc 2 the lighthouse (very important) and the desert are the biggest ones

other than that you have the card game, 3 hidden things in shevat, small minigames throughout the world, and a few others I'm probably forgetting

2 in the end right before the final dungeon, and an optional boss fight

>optional boss fight

are you talking about the dragon enemy on foot?

nah, I'm talking about the Alpha Weltall fight.
technically it's not optional, but it is the way I see it.

ah I see

Your pic is what it should have been.
Instead, everything with her father was terribly written and delivered.

What was even the point of calling Xenoblade Chronicles "Xenoblade Chronicles"? Why didn't they just go with the JP title?

what was the JP title?

Citan was the world's biggest asshole.

lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/Citan/

Just Zenobureido and Zenobureido Kurosu. Not need to put the stupid "Chronicles" in it, it's pointless.

Monado: The Beginning of the World. It was actually the pre-production title but Takahashi slapped Xeno onto it and confirmed it as part of the metaseries even though it has no direct canon relation.

Does anyone know if there are any loose canon relations between Blade and Gears/Saga? I remember reading somewhere there was like one thing but I forget.

The staff at Monolith insisted on calling it Xenoblade as tribute to Takahashi's legacy. He wanted to call it Monado.

Fiona's beta outfit was way hotter.

A JRPG where the love interested protagonists actually have sex

>relationship between Blade and Gears/Saga?

none

Planescape torment.

Every Xeno game is about a person who hides their true nature, usually subconsciously, and stand up to fight against the pre-ordained destiny of humanity.

Even X, via Elma

This guy gets it. Good lore/setting, terrible paced story

I like how X changed it up where the protag instead has no true nature and is an empty shell

How is it pointless? It's just a word to make the title more catchy; it makes sense as far as a narrative of the game is concerned. Stop being a fucking autist

Too bad Elma is all the worst parts of Citan and KOS-MOS.

>I don't like something

>Stop being a fucking autist for not liking it

I'm not even the same guy that made the question to begin with. Opinions and stuff.

>what happened?
You didn't play Trails in the Sky SC

>this extremely common word makes me angry

And Ramsus and Miang.

>Half of those are shit.
Not helping your point

the name makes them bad? christ you really are autistic

What does that have to do with you being a whiny bitch because they added a cliche word at the end? I mean, your original post was basically
>why couldn't it be more like the superior JAPANESE title wahhhhhhhhhhh

as if "chronicles" is any different than "saga"

>sleeps with Miang regularly
>Still fucking miserable

>Implying samefag
All I'm saying is half those examples suck ass.

>clone of the most powerful human aside from Fei
>has miang
>has 4 ether powered bitches at his feet
>"baaaaw I'm not better than Fei"

what a fag

I like how Ramus was too blinded by his inferiority complex to see that he's got it all.
I wish he could've been able to redeem himself or something, he was a pawn until the end.

He does see the error of his ways though, like, right at the end.

Reminder that pic related is pretty much the reason Xenogears was never completed.

baseless rumors, but if true it's very disheartening considering FF8 is trash and one of the worst FF games

When? It's been a while so I forgot.
I thought he died after killing cain

i absolutely definitely agree op.

i genuinely long for such an epic again but i also know there will be none

I got a good story for you

me fucking ur mum

After his fight, I can't remember how but he ends up getting sense talked into him by the 4 Elements and you see him in Sheva or whatever it's called, for some reason you can't take him with you as a party member though.

>Hey bro if you stab this old man you would probably get superpowers.

What.
A fucking.
Moron.

youtube.com/watch?v=5SK2Sy6jFnc

Wish he could have joined us. How do you reconcile the fact that you killed something that was around since the birth of humans though, lol.

Well said user.

the next xeno game will be the first story based xeno game that's properly funded that isn't an experiment (xenoblade) so there is hope

Close to as bad you mean. The story in gears is downright horrible. I couldn't even makeit to the infamous disc 2 because 1 was so bad. It is every shitty jrpg and anime cliche that has religious mumbo jumbo so idiots are impressed

Hometown burned down
Amnesia
Fighting tournament
Joining a rebel force
Same dumb characters including big muscleman twice the size of mc but does less damage and know it all cunt that could solve/prevent the majority of problems if he opened his mouth
Tsundere love interest
Mc is a whiney annoying beta
High tech enemy empire

Plus the gameplay sucks

>tfw this song plays

youtu.be/MQi7vk9Yzdk?list=PLCB5EC0C5E1947BF4

Yasunori Mitsuda did a phenomenal job with this game's OST.

Two stories
Two good games

>religious mumbo jumbo

found one

>Fei
>beta

>Mc is a whiney annoying beta
this is like the people who say Cloud is emo

>17 years

OP, it's actually been even longer.

I've given up hope that there will ever be an RPG with a story as grandiose, layered, and awe inspiring as Xenogears. Xenosaga III gets up there, but it's still not in the same league as Xenogears.

Well, I never played it, planned to, but it looks like shit. I'm 28btw.

>that cringeworthy Bart and his cousin romance plot

no connections,but they could go full on meta and make X another reboot of Perfect Works and instead of just ripping of the bible they could use the first Xenoblade as the ingame religion to base the events in X Perfect Works on.

Would explain why they kept the Xenoblade name and call it a spiritual sucessor instead of just calling it Xenodoll or something like that.

>implying you wouldn't fuck margie

Playing Xenogears on my PSP or my Vita is definitely my favorite way to play this game now. The graphics look great on this screen size and it's comfy as fuck being able to play in bed or any position anywhere else.

does it have the text speed patch enabled?

It just felt like a bargain bin version of Fei/Elly, that only happened because of that plot, like a really pathetic 'I want a romantic subplot too!'.

What is cringeworthy about royalty incest? That's a fairly common thing across many cultures.

Nope. I bought it off the PSN. The text speed doesn't bother me though.

I don't recognize those two robots in the background. The stylization is too drastic.

Is that pink psp yours too?

What was so great about it?

It came out of nowhere, around the time Fei and Elly realized their feelings for each other but that was a steady buid up we witness every step of the way.

Don't getm e started on that guy who turns out to be his brother, what a mess.

If it wasn't for his Acc Down, no one would use Bart, those whips are gay as fuck.

iirc it's the two that Krelian makes Elly fight in the Vierge to awaken her

>this is what reddit actually believes

It's a shame that pretty much every other aspect of it has aged like shit. The battle system is lame, the dungeons are awful, and I don't even have to talk about the second disc at this point.

what? the romance between them was foreshadowed before Elly/Fei, especially considering their royal lineage

the OST is fantastic though, some of the dungeons are great with only fucking babel tower being bad

I dropped this game partially because of the story
>main character gets sudden edgy flashbacks that cause childish evil smile followed by unconsious wipe out of town

Nope, I want no part of this. I've had more than my fill of "Dude your literally the angel of darkness"

Disc 2 though

It's just an alter ego that he developed to cope with his mom trying to kill him. Ya know basic Jap shit.

story wise disc 2 doesn't suffer

youtube.com/watch?v=e9m5dCKdtAI

> I also learned that I really do need you. It's not because I need you as a sanctuary for my problems. I need you because I truly love you.

Just for fucking ONCE, I'd like to see a JRPG love interest say words like these again, I want them to fucking flat out say it, we're not children, I don't want sphagetti being dropped for 40 hours, I want a believable relationship.

God damn

It gets way stupider.

you're not convincing me I chose wrong there.

>want human emotions
>from japs

barking up the wrong tree senpai

>play xenosaga after gears
>wow I can't wait for another great relationship, this time from a female protag
>mfw Allen Ridgedly

I still have disc 2 of XSIII to complete, hopefully he redeems himself instead of being Kevin's creampie cleaner

It's basically Trigun but with giant robots and less Johnny Yong Bosch.

He doesn't.

They did it with Xeno, they can do it again. Even FFVIII and it being the so called most romantic themed FF has a badly written relationship, but at least that ending with the kiss was amazing, and Tidus and Yuna at the end of X.

Even still, neither Squall/Rinoa or Tidus/Yuna ever open up about the way feel about each other.

The soundtrack is good - albeit a bit limited for a 60 hour game. I can't really agree with any of the dungeons being great, though. A lot of them have really copy-pasted layouts, ridiculously high encounter rates, and practically no reward to exploration.

Xenosaga is an incredibly trash series. Xenogears was a bad game, sure, but at least it had the potential to be good had it been given a proper budget and time frame for development. Xenosaga basically scraped the bottom of the former's idea barrel and came out with nothing but dregs.

It's interesting if you're just getting into philosophy, but if you already have quite a few years under your belt it isn't. It's like trying to watch Fight Club now. At first the ideas seemed novel and interesting, but at this point it's going over ideas I've read about thousands of times before.

XS was fucked harder with budget and time frame than xenogears, to the point where Takahashi doesn't even talk about XS anymore

>make fun of margie's, momo's, and lyn's potato faces before playing the games
>fap to them all after playing the games

how does monolith keep doing it?

>XS was fucked harder with budget and time frame than xenogear

Which is only half as hard as Kim Kasim fucked his timeline's Elly.

It does take some time to appreciate potato's beauty. At this point I cannot resist the her.

inb4 obligatory angry memer repeating "DUDE TATSU"

>muh abrahamic imagery

pic related blows that poor mans secret of mana out of the window

your post is correct, nothing blows xenogears out of the window

>relating xenogears with the piece of shit secret of mana

forgot image

now you see the deeper meaning user

You have to have next level delusion to be a Gears fan

you're out of your mind yourself thinking gears is anything like SoM

>xenogears
>good story
lol okay

>TitS SC
>the game so good a report of a port of disgaea outsold its lifetime sales in a week

Japanese devs can't write themselves out of a wet paper bag. Comparing them with mother-fucking Obsidian is unfair.

planescape is shit though. even if xenogears was off the wall at times and ran out of money for the second half at least the story was engaging and the characters were mostly likable. planescape was an actually pretentious snoozefest.

These never get old

>all of XG happened because 3 men were wounded that the same woman they all werei n love with died, that one tried to destroy God, one tried to recreate God and the other rejected God.

>sales matter
So Skyrim?

Skyrim is one of the greatest games to have come out in the previous generation perhaps this gen too if it wasn't toppled by Fallout 4. It's so good I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to buy it twice at full price!

for real though, what happened at nintendo?

Suikoden.

>Tir vs Teo
>We will never get a well-animated series that goes through the story of the first three games as you watch Luc slowly succumb to evil to end the futility of war

Alternatively, Radiant Historia was pretty good as well, but probably not the greatest story.

youtube.com/watch?v=k7D0U_RhH-I

Thread theme

At a point story expositions were the only thing they had money for

Monolith tends to focus more on environment these days.

artist on the right is the same one for XSI, not XSIII

I tried playing that came because Cred Forums kept riding its dick, but I couldn't get past the first chapter. I even restarted like 3 times hoping it would be more fun with a different character, but it was complete shit. the characters were annoying, the story didn't hook me, and the gameplay was god awful.

BROKEN MIRROR A MILLION SHADES OF LIGHT

you have bad taste is all. it's ok. some people are just like that. we don't fault you.

But jrpgs are good right?

>yfw no update for whatdoesgodneedwithastarship

When a game's sequel sells patheticly because everyone and their dog realizes the series is horseshit, absolutely.

jrpgs try harder to make you want to keep playing. the characters are designed to be more appealing, and the starting dungeon is supposed to draw you in. compare blowing up the reactor and escaping on the train in final fantasy 7 to getting off the boat and walking out into a swamp in morrowind.

>They did it with Xeno
english translation teams did it, not the japs. nearly all modern translation teams are absolute horse shit these days because they need to pander to saccharine mass appeal corporate interests, and mass appeal in the united states these days is completely and totally frightened of human sexuality, sensuality, and any form of expression of either.

at that point there was pretty much one dude translating, there is no way he could have done that

Are saying Elly did not outright confess her love to Fei in the JP version?

Jesus Christ.

Waiting for that Xenoblade X sequel with more story focus. (Can't recall the source unfortunately, but if I remember correctly Takahashi mentioned in an interview Xenoblade X was more a testing bed for a lot of gameplay and tech ideas, thats why the story for X fell to the wayside)

I fucking hate shion in 3

story fell because they changed it for multiplayer

Takahashi also said that learning to develop HD graphics took the attention away from the story but this makes absolutely no sense so I suspect it's a mistranslation

I fucking hated her in 1

>chaos: I just have the ability to freeze gnosis, some people are good at some stuff right?
>shion: ya makes sense!

this bitch is the lead of R&D for vector?

Xenogears is nearly machine-translated at points. The localization didn't add shit.

>We used to be enemies but now we're together like this. In the beginning, I think I saw myself in you. We seemed to overlap, you being in a similar situation as I was in. When I was with you, I didn't feel alone or apprehensive. That's why I thought I liked you, but it wasn't that. I simply didn't have the courage to look at my true self. I turned to you to run away from it all. I mistook that for love. But, it's different now. I can face my own problems. I am me and you are you. It has all become clear to me now. I also learned that I really do need you. It's not because I need you as a sanctuary for my problems. I need you because I truly love you.

>Fei kills 90% of his village by fighting.
>The survivors all hate and fear him
>Whiny

what did he mean by this?

Originally Ramsus was supposed to join the party after a certain point.

Why did Ramsus cradle Miang's 'corpse' after he cut her down?

I know that feel.
The first Xenosaga got really close to what a Xenogears sequel should be, but then they completely changed it to something else with Xenosaga 2 and 3, which is a shame.
I feel like only Soraya Saga would be able to achieve that level again, but sadly they pushed her aside.

You forgot the earlier scene where they fucked?

Yeah, but he realised she was dicking him around like a piece of trash, in fact she was enabling his inferioty complex.

Is it just a touch of human sentimentality?
Like, he was enraged enough to cut her down, but at some level, she was a former lover?

People can be emotionally hung up like that.

Then later on she gives a speech that wouldn't go down so well in todays political gaming climate.

> I'm not a holy woman of any sort. I'm just a regular woman. I get angry, I cry, I laugh. Although at times I can resent others, I also know how to love others, loving whole masses of people at times and loving just one person the rest of the time. I am in supreme bliss when I am embraced by the man that I love. Giving what I have to him, and receiving what he gives to me, we become one flesh. Elly That is the moment when I am most at peace. It is my prerogative as a woman to simply want to save the man that I love!

The story was ambiguous for sure, but the translation was complete ass so its hard to start comparing with that in mind.

Maybe if I spoke weebspeak I might agree.

They changed the name of the main antagonist.

The issue was that Ramsus was called 'trash' from his 'birth' and literally tossed into the garbage dump (he was basically supposed to be a replacement copy of the God Emperor of Mankind. He spend his whole life trying to show he wasn't trash and every bit as great as the person he was meant to replace. But the authorities still called him trash and made sure to rub in his failures and made sure he remembers it. And it is especially unacceptable for him to be worse than an unambitious figure like Fei, ESPECIALLY since he was literally thrown away because of Fei.

It's a pretty fucking nice humanisitc touch, by showing that Ramsus fucks like normal people, is capable of love like normal people and has pyschological complexes like normal people they made a really human and relatable villain.

Like if Sephiroth's mental leap from discovering his origins to going psycho for some reason.

the xenogears story isn't that good or original but the storytelling is top notch. it pulls out in scope so effortlessly it's amazing. i haven't seen anything like it in a game.

how the fuck do the japanese even find writers like takahashi

Yep!

Thread needs more Xenogears art!

>buying Xenogears on PSN when Vita piracy already exists

He doesn't really write anymore. Yuichiro Takeda writes the Xenoblade games. It's why they're choc full of cringey anime tropes and shounen-style writing. Xenoblade games compared to gears and saga are more babified and simple, especially the dialogue

And even then its still better than most of the garbage we've gotten these days. really makes you think

>being a retarded and assuming I bought the game after Vita piracy
But more importantly
>choosing to be a shitter and not support my all time favorite game

it is one of the best final fantasy's. go neck yourself.

I like Esmeralda. Everyone is shit though.

Citan is pretty badass, but his backstory is completely retarded.

So the nerdy guy next door is secretly a top secret spy for the evil invisible empire in the sky? Who gave this the green light?

1 is literally a movie
2 is utter dogshit
3 is okay

Chu-chu died for your sins.

How did Xenogears have better Gears combat than Xenoblade X, which had worse combat in gears then on foot.

It would've been cool if for Dolls XCX switched to an action combat system similar to tales of or KH with special attacks that need cooldown time

I want to try Saga but my internet is dogshit and the Saga 1 iso is like 6 GB.

No point playing 2 or 3 without 1. So I guess I'll have to find a 2nd hand disc somewhere.

I didn't, though? Especially considering a couple of boss battles in Gears often crashed the game.

Combos and everything go out the fucking window as soon as you get Gears in X, at least in Gears the Mech combat ustilised the deathblow system in a diffferent way to on foot and equips made it all very customisable

It was part of the gunnm stuff they were stealing. They just turned doc ido into a spy instead of an exile.

i hear good things about xenogears but i'm afraid to really invest the time into it

ive been hyped up by jrpg fanatics before, who told me how amazing ff6 was and i was thoroughly underwhelmed

games like xenogears and chronotrigger seem to be popular in the same way planescape torment and bg2 are, which i ahve played but never the jrpg equivalents

should i? pls dont meme me, guys. i hated ff6 with a passion and what i've played of fire emblem i hated too. they just seem like theyre meant for a younger audience, whihc is fine. but its not my demographic

Opinions: The Post.

>Mc is a whiney annoying beta

Most people whine more when they lose their wallet than Fei did when his entire village was destroyed. I know you must love your emotionless, horribly written 80s protagonists, but no good character would not be "whiny" in that situation.

Maybe VNs are cheating but there's a Steins;gate thread going on even now

Also if you took the whole MGS saga it basically has the scale and ambition this game never managed