If you kill them, you'll be just a bad as them

>If you kill them, you'll be just a bad as them

What are the most infuriating morals and story beats used in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/25ZkccgpZ9M?t=6m21s
youtube.com/watch?v=xeBDvM3pBgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is this from the new movie

>tfw no crunchyroll subscription

Personally I always hate it when a game tries to tell you that the life of a newborn worth more than that of an adult, and you are an absolute monster if you'd sacrifice a kid just to save someone older. Well fuck you, some barely conscious being that won't contribute shit to my cause and the world for about another two decades is probably the least on my priority list when it comes to saving people.

Digimon should use Renamon more

But it's true. Killing your enemies means that they corrupted you and they won. You no longer stand by heroic morals. You're just a filthy murderer.

I don't remember that from games, maybe some shitty anime though.
This. People are obviously protective of newborn but there needs to be a line.

>I don't remember that from games, maybe some shitty anime though.
It's mostly JRPGs. Off the top of my head, Xenoblade and most "Tales of" games pull this shit.

That goes for children in general.

>a bad character gets to live just because it's easier to keep sedating him rather than having someone kill him

I liked this in VLR

>stopping a madman from killing more people is bad

Liberal logic everyone

Renamon was boring

Guillmon and Terriermon were more interesting

if you throw dirt on your enemies, trump wins

I love that picture.

>IF YOU KILL ME, YOU'LL BE JUST LIKE ME
>I guess you're right.
>shoots him anyways
I'll always love Days of Ruin for that bit.

>watching Scream Queens the other day
>main character tries to pull this "IF YOU KILL THEM YOU'RE JUST AS BAD"
>literally every other character tells her to fuck off and goes ahead with the murder plot

Surprisingly good show tbqh

>kills countless
>burns village/town/kingdom to the ground
>kill your entire family

>im suddenly way too edgy to kill you

Did canucks create that game?

That can be a correct moral under some circumstances:
1. The hero has a convenient means of putting enemies in stasis where they can't escape and won't suffer, with the option to rehabilitate the more rational ones after the war. Basically no one has to die unless they want it.
2. The ideological basis of the war is defending free will. The hero believes that most of his enemies didn't have a choice and are victims of the system. If he killed them, he would be admitting they can never change, and proving the top villain right, which is no victory at all.
Both of these are true in Steven Universe, which got SJWs massively butthurt because they think forgiving your enemies is racist.

>character does evil shit throughout story
>gets beaten
>they get to go free because they said sorry
>untouchable from then on

If there's anything that can sour my opinion on a story it's when villains lose but don't get punished.

>committed genocide or similar atrocity.
>says they're sorry so it's totally cool.

When an awful story wants to seem deep it usually reaches for this trope.

Spoilers for the latest Digimon.

The Digital World had to be rebooted and so the Digimon have forgotten Tai and friends.

Gabumon a cute.

Does beatrix really do that? I thought she was chill and the queen was just brainwashed

Beatrix acted on orders to slaughter the rat people, and was complicit in the Queen's doings until she learned what the queen had in store for Garnet. Then she switched sides and suddenly everything was forgiven.

at least the villain loses in that case. Sometimes you get shit like as well as the main villain of ff9.

A lot of people say she didn't really want to. But I don't buy that. She was yucking it up with brahne and kuja the whole time as her army slaughtered an entire race of people. And say brahne *wasn't* brainwashed, or garnet wasn't in danger. Beatrix would have been perfectly fine with the horrors she committed.

>Steven Universe
>Good

The fuck you talking about Steven's a monster who ruins peoples lives and would gladly stick anyone who won't bend to his desires into ETERNAL STASIS for all time.

Only an idiot thinks death is the worst thing that can happen to you.

>Kill dozens of peons on the way to the boss
>Let the boss go because killing is bad

Oh shit i totally forgot about the dragon rat people. Yeah haha that is fucked up that she just magically gets a "good guy" pass.

The mission in GTAV where you torture a man was ridiculous. After you're doing torturing, and Trevor is driving him to the airport, Trevor gives a speech about how "torture is only for the torturer" and how it's useless as means of getting information. A bizarre moral statement to take place right after.

They should pair a female Renamon with a male partner

>you didn't beat me, I just wasn't trying/I was testing you/some other excuse

literally nothing worse

might be that Tri thing? I haven't kept tabs on it.

I wish she was in more fighting games. Rumble arena dropped her after the first one.

>>you didn't beat me, I just wasn't trying/I was testing you/some other excuse
>Senran Kagura does this like 3 times in every single game

Speaking of genocide I hate when a story is basically built around genocide or attempts at genocide but it's just magically okay because the thing they're genociding aren't "really" people. KH2 immediately springs to mind. I think the main reason I loved KR Amazons so much is because it actually presented both sides in that kind of argument.

The image is from the new Tri movie, which was actually good compared to the mediocre first two.

I mean Patamon literally tells Takeru to straight up murder him if he goes wild

You arrest him.

>good
Where is that word in the post?

The latest Digimon movie was kind of a downer for about two thirds of it.

Digimon don't have genders

>crunchyroll
nice b8 m8

>If you kill him you trigger a time loop in which you reset the world to before he fucked it all to hell but you literally turn into him

WEW

Soul Sacrifice was a hell of a ride.

>JRPG beating the big bad with the power of friendship

Are they ever going to drop this shitty cliche? Especially in Persona, the first two games never had that bullshit.

>playing purse owners
>not expecting garbage
Your fault

>when it all starts falling into place as to why Magusar loved Librom so much

>Play JRPG
>Fighting the big bad
>Suddenly all his minions appear
>They use their power of friendship to defeat yours

>if you kill him you reverse all his efforts to save humanity
>b-but he killed some dudes, it's required boss time!

Fucking bitch. Beatrix is the most unlikeable character in all of vidya.

What are some games that put this phrase in your face but you can still justifiably kill the villain?

I've always wanted to give a nice big FU to this moral.

>current ruler is an immortal dragon/demon or some other being that has kept stabiltiy in place
>the correct choice is to kill them and return humans to power, who then most likely get assassinated or become a worse leader than the one before

Someone needs to do this if it hasn't been done already.

Depends on the series

I wanna see the old digi-yeller scene.

>Zombie games in general
>Zombie games where there's a group that wants to protect zombies/thinks zombies are just sick people and need medicine and you shouldn't kill them/worships zombies

>tits

I guess it doesn't apply to the furfag fiction

>implying she just doesn't hide them when children are around

GTAV was all over the place with bizarre moral statements

Well you kind of get that towards of the end of the newest movie

HerculesKabuterimon having to tank EIGHT OTHER DIGIMON (including WAR"ISOLO'DTWODARKMASTERSGREYMON) and force them into the digital field so they could all be wiped

I don't know. She has some pretty strong competition from her own game.

>the immortal demon figure is the one you're fighting to keep in power
>all in-game information tells you this being is benevolent and immortal
>but the game that came before it tells you they only recently came into power, and will probably fall out of power after the game you're playing anyway

Oh do tentomon and the other mook digimon finally get powerful forms and cool scenes?

>the mentor that saved your life and trained you is the villain

Yes. Tentomon actually got his in this movie

And it was quite sad

>Zombie game
>Desperately tries to avoid calling them zombies.

Palmon and Gomamon got their megas in the last movie. I haven't watched the newest one yet.

She's as flat as Blaze

Yeah it's totally fine to brutally murder all of the bad guy's henchmen as long as you don't kill the one manipulating them.

Currently, Gomamon, Palmon, and Tentomon have all gone to their highest level. The next movie is going to have Biyomon.

I'd say Tentomon has had the best scene of all of the mooks getting to their highest level, since Palmon and Gomamon got stuck with a kind of "we gotta kill time" movie to evolve into.

That game was astounding.

But out of all of it, out of the best bromances, the most okay mom but best mom's friend, there is only one true waifu: Carnatux.

I still want a sequel that goes off the best final ending where magusar goes off to kill the gods. All of them.

Advanced Wars: Days of ruin

>main character doesn't kill the villain
>main character turns around
>villain pulls out a gun and kills/tries to kill the main character or his friends
>this has happened in almost every game in the series
>it will most likely continue to happen

Blacklist

>Spare the villain.
>He dies like five seconds later due to the edge of the cliff he's standing on collapsing or something.

The first 2 games were actually good until they decided to pander to waifufags

I agree. That shit makes me flip because it's the game telling you that they don't take you/those characters seriously.
Also annoys me in PVP stuff.

>Spare Caius in FFXIII-2
>Suicide

>main character DOES kill the villain
>main character turns around
>villain pulls out a gun and kills/tries to kill the main character or his friends

Should I watch Tri now or wait for the whole thing to be released?

At least Kuja was hot

w8 m8

He's got nothing on this qt

It was an upper for me if you catch my drift.

>yfw
youtu.be/25ZkccgpZ9M?t=6m21s

Just wait. It'll probably be a bit over a year from now, but it's probably better consumed all at once.

>sequel to an RPG
>you loose all your powerful equipment/it becomes a lot weaker weaker than regular weapons

This is the worst fucking thing, video game or not.

I do hope they revive it for the PS4.

>spending tax payer money to kill a evil man alive

I'd say wait. A lot of complaints I've seen from people is that they're upset characters are acting certain ways because they're in the middle of characters arcs.

Also the movies are currently 3 > Power Gap > 2 = 1 in terms of quality

I really wanna make a story and when the hero reaches the villain and sucks his shit in he goes.
"You can't kill me, if you do, you'll be just as bad as I am!"
Followed by a thunderpunch to the face careening them out of the building with some kind of quip around the lines of
"It's gonna take a lot more then that to keep me from killing you."

I like how Drakengard 1 had kind of the opposite of this trope.

>Villain begs for death after being defeated
>Main characters decide to let her live, just to force her to travel the world and see the destruction she has caused, and make sure everyone hates her

youtube.com/watch?v=xeBDvM3pBgo

>Shady party member makes some foreshadowy comment.
>"Hmm? Did you say something, Shady-kun?"
>"Oh, nothing."

>Game takes place in a high fantasy world with medieval-ish setting
>There are gay characters and a transgender character
>You can't make fun of the transgender character or gay character
>Everyone is 100% okay with this
>In fact if you ask why the trans characte decides to "pass" (2010's lingo for being trans) everyone will get pissy at you and call you a bigot and that """HE'S""" NOT PASSING """HE'S""" A MAN YOU BIGOT

This fucking dumbass,right here,i hate him with a passion

Here, have the best girl who shuts that shit down.

>They are actually infected
>People still call them zombies

Mah nigga.

[/spoiler]I haven't played Suikoden II in years but the first time you confront Jowy on his bullshit he claims you two have to fight because muh opposing runes and muh destiny. The second time he claims he's doing it for "peace" even though all he accomplished was making the war last longer. The third he claims he just wanted to "become strong to protect the ones he loved", even though he tried to kill Riou and Nanami who were his two best friends. I think he makes other excuses but none of them made sense. He had no motive to become an enemy other than annoying weeaboo melodrama.[/spoiler]

If it's a fantasy world why wouldn't the devs be allowed to pick and choose what aspects of medieval culture are carried over?

>they say this right after you kill his mooks

If I think it's wrong to kill your enemies why do you think that I wouldn't apply that to your enemies employees?

it was done in anime Digimon Xros Wars

>villain of the arc knows power of friendship
>has legit friends, "steals" main heroes' friends
>the villain is defeated by "reflecting" said power back at him

As retarded as the new Telltale batman game is Penguin drops some mad truth. When batman says that he doesn't kill people penguin answers with "Maybe that's why you have so many enemies". Imagine how many lives would've been saved if Batman wasn't such a fucking pussy.

It also depends on who the grown up is, i'd rather sacrifice a shithead and save someone that may turn out to be a great person in the future, instead of sacrificing the potential and keeping a shithead alive.

That's typically one of Batman's classic issues; the justification for it is that Batman is so unstable that if he killed someone, he'd go completely crazy. That rule is what's holding him back, and he knows it.

Instead of giving the man a swift death, you choose to throw him in a cramped cell for the rest of his days giving him nothing but the most basic of human necessities in conditions barely fit for an animal.

At the same time you steal resources from the community to keep this hell. What is it you think he'll achieve sitting in such bleak surroundings? Redemption? Madness I think, and madness only brings more madness.

>the game is supposed to be open ended outside of the main quest
>there are certain plot elements that you can't change the outcome and can't even end

Fuck you Skyrim, I won't kill Paarthunax

Yeah, but if that guy goes on to kill more people because you were too much of a moralfag to kill him, then every life that he takes is indirectly your fault.

It's why Batman is a punk bitch that has turned Gotham into a shithole. Think of how many hundreds of people someone like the Joker has directly/indirectly killed.

Think of all the people who would not have to live shitty lives if he was killed in Batman #1.

>JUST ARREST THE GUNMAN WITH A MACHINE GUN
You're putting innocent people's lives at risk to save a murderer, you're a monster.

Was the joker even in the first issue? with his boner?

I read an LP of this game and Lin is such an awesome character. Too bad I could never stomach Advance Wars gameplay.

>Too bad I could never stomach Advance Wars gameplay

He was, his first appearance was Batman #1.

Batman's first appearance was actually in a Detective Comics run sometime prior.

>Think of all the people who would not have to live shitty lives if he was killed in Batman #1.

he was killed tho

>putting people in danger for the sake of idealism

Fucking Advance Wars Dual Strike
At least they tried to make up for it in Days of Ruin, but it was still infuriating
In one of the early missions you get encouraged to use some infantrymen to lure a tank away which will get most if not all of them killed, then in the finale the villain tries to pull that shit.

FUCKING THIS
just call them fucking zombies because we all know thats what they are
also this whole pretending no one in the entire universe it takes place in has ever heard of a zombie before
we all know what the fuck a zombie is, and we would all only call them zombies even if we're in atlanta
the undead is also acceptable

>if you kill them, you won't get the achievement

It was pretty cathartic when playing L4D hearing Zoey snap at Francis for pulling this shit and just straight up saying "THEY'RE ZOMBIES, FRANCIS."

Name 5 games use this quote.

Saints Row 2
Ninety Nine Nights
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance Wars Days of Ruin
The Force Unleashed
The Force Unleashed 2
Knights of the Old Republic
Jedi Knight
Warcraft 3
Persona 3

>The Force Unleashed
>The Force Unleashed 2
>Knights of the Old Republic
>Jedi Knight
Well that's kind of a big part of Star Wars.

Prove it.

What is Yakuza?

Depends. I'd sacrifice Duck to save Hershel's son for sure. Kenny didn't really become decent until he lost everything. But if the dude was a total shitter, then yeah no worries

no-no-no player, you've gotta be the goodgui
>Fallout 4

the creators really pulled a fast one, hu?

it's a really fucking great arc too and the villain there was the best

RIP Olegmon ;_;

>Dragon Quest 8 has one of your party members out for revenge against the apparent villain
>After killing him the demon sealed staff goes on to eventually posses more people, and a dog, and sets itself free

you know, i really like the games with reversed morality
dishonored is the prime example of this, where you play as an assassin, and have the option to finish the game without killing anyone and anything, without ever drawing your sword.
i wish more games had this option.

I'd say it's the fault of the police who just chuck him back in Arkham every time instead of killing him or putting him in a prison not made of fucking tissue paper

>Being morally good gives the best reward
Not much of a moral dilemma now, is it?

>All the nonlethal options against your main targets basically involves completely ruining their lives
Shit's kinda funny

They do bring that up sometimes.

Batman usually can't justify not killing the Joker in any way other than admitting if he did he'd probably start doing it to less-deserving criminals.