Gaming Mice

Are gaming mice worth the hype, or am I better off with a cheap store-bought one?

They are overpriced as fuck. But it's undeniable that a decent sensor is a good thing to have.

I've had the same bargain Dell mouse I got about 8 years ago. Suits me fine.

I'd say they're worth it in the sense that they're extremely convenient and come with a lot of functions, plus they don't have built-in mouse accel most of the time unlike cheap mice. If you don't really give a shit about stuff like that then it doesn't really matter what kind of mouse you buy.

Would you say that they're more precise than cheap ones for FPS or is that just bullshit placebo effect whenever I hear people raving about the differences?

i've been using this 13 dollar mouse.
doesn't stop me from shitting on kids

but buy whatever you want. don't fall for any memes other than the one you want.
get one with tons of buttons
get one with variable weight
get one with a fan on it

I like the ergonomics of the one I got. Feels good.

If you want the feel of the MX518/G400 then that mouse is the closest you can get, sadly. They turned a regular mouse into a gaming mouse.

use whatever feels the best in your hand.

don't fall for gaming mice whose only feature is a shiny black box littered with buzzwords like "gaming grade sensor" and the mouse looks like a failed transformers design with leds all over it. the more leds and shit on the mouse means the more its covering up a shit sensor.

there are definitely sensor differences to be sure but you like likely never notice them except for aggressive acceleration. get a mouse that suits your grip.

A bit of both, it's more so a grey area. Gaming mice are expensive but a nice luxury to own, at the same time if you're not interested to fork out that much money you shouldn't bother.

>whenever I hear people raving about the differences

if you're talking about streamers they are selling a product to you, nothing more. 99% of what makes a mouse "good" is personal preference and construction quality, the latter of which most mice fail horribly at.

>use whatever feels the best in your hand.
this.

but for me, sadly i had no choice but to get a "gaming" mouse since they feel better in my hand compared to those cheap computer mice.

I mean supposedly there's different qualities of sensors with OP's pic being the top of the line

I'm talking about randoms on various website giving their opinions mostly unsolicited.

there are, but the vast majority of people won't notice any of the supposed features. the most immediate things you'll notice is lift off if you tend to flick your mouse a lot (which hilariously enough on a lot of mice is fixed with tape) and angle snapping and acceleration. most mid range mice and anything labeled "gaming" tends to have angle snapping disabled but acceleration can vary. keep in mind a lot of video games employ acceleration too so make sure you're doing your best to turn all that shit off.

Getting a mouse with a good sensor is critical. After making the switch finally after all these years, to a mouse with a perfect sensor, the difference is night and day. It's almost sad because at first you're like "holy shit this is so different" that you almost don't like it at first. You prefer the old, acceleration and deceleration. But once you get that shit out of your system, you realize how critical it is. The accuracy spike is noticeable. It's just so much more consistent. Absolutely worth it.

The only important thing is the sensor. Everything else is up to you. Weight, shape, buttons whatever. It's all on you to decide. I have a g502, and I like it, but it's not perfectly comfortable. Oh well. I got used to it and it has an amazing sensor. Otherwise, I would prefer a much more comfortable mouse with the same sensor.

G400s. Thank me later

g302 master race.

This shit has the perfect shape for fps games.
i can track so well with it.

Also, cheap as fuck.

Doesn't really matter. Best Buy had some test models, I found the one most comfortable to me and ordered it on Prime. I don't care about sensors, I'm not MLG enough for it to make that much of a difference, but supposedly mine is good. Went with the logitech, had it for a year now with no sign of wear, would recommend.

So basically if you're trying to be as much of a tryhard as possible at FPS games it's a good investment?

I was planning on switching anyways because my current mouse's IPS is fucking garbage and just straight up stops moving if I try to flick too fast. But there's also this overwhelming feeling that when I'm doing aiming practice I'm missing a lot of shots that I feel should be hits even after I've become super comfortable with my sens. But I could just be bad, who knows?

Love my G302.

Research and find a mouse with a good sensor, good size/shape for your hand and make sure it's light (should be under 100g).
I find that a good mouse can help improve aim, but don't pay over $100.

This is the best mouse.

Shits so good.

Switched to if after using shitty deathadders for years.

got tired of razer's shit build quality and went fagtech.

Got both the 302 and the 402.

i use the 402 for WoW since it has more buttons and the 302 for shootan games.

i love my g400s but it uses an imperfect sensor
sadly it is sub-optimal

i loved my g400 too but man the fit and finish was fucking terrible. the silver logitech logo peeled off in less than a year and the dark silver-ish matte finish on the body wore off not long after.

I really like my G600 for all the buttons it adds.

I'd always end up missing those buttons and just hit the self-destruct button every time.

Literally the t-34 of mice

i used mine for 5 years now

I owned a couple of gaming mice in the past 'til I switched over to a trackball. I'm currently using a Logitech Trackman Marble. Never looked back.
>Inb4, b-but it doesn't have a scroll wheel or even a middle mouse function.
True enough, but it can be solved with Autohotkey.

While I never looked back, like I said before, I admit that the Logitech has pretty low DPI, so ordered pic related.

>but it doesn't have a scroll wheel

what does that suspicious looking scroll wheel looking wheel thing in the middle do?

Ordered this a few days ago. Anyone here use the ec2-a?

Going to get this baby next week finally. Quality sensor, and yet it doesn't look like an edgy spaceship. Be jelly.

DO NOT BUY LOGITECH
The sensor is alright but the build quality is absolute shit
t. a guy who had to send in 4 different mice under warranty

I switched to steelseries recently and have no complaints yet. You might want to consider some of the older microsoft mice too.

Steelseries easily has the worst build quality out of all premium mouse brands, you fucking shill.

I only have problems reaching the bottom three. They're the only ones I feel like I have to go out of my way to press.

i have a g400s
i have slammed it into the base of my monitor countless times
still works perfectly, had it 2 years

that's my anecdote

I've only had this mouse for a month. If it turns out to be shit I'll try zowie instead.

All I know is logitech is shit. I still have 2 of my old mice in a box next to me. Cable ripped on one and the left mouse button broke on the other.

I'd totally go back to a trackball of it had programmable buttons

Pic related is a Clearly Superior Technologies L-Trac laser trackball, it's the one that I ordered to replace my Logitech Trackman marble.
Not only has higher, and selectable, DPI, but also, middle button and a separate scroll roller.
I was about to order a Kensington trackball, but wasn't too convinced of the scroll dial on the Expert model or the twist-the-ball-for-scrolling function on the Slimblade model.