What's your take on invisible walls in games?

What's your take on invisible walls in games?

Huh really makes u think

my prefrontal cortex is truly stimulated

Lazy level design. Developers should take their limitations into consideration when designing level appearances. Instead they jizz everywhere trying to make everything look flash and then throw invisible walls to box the player in because they're still too incompetent to make those environments part of the actual experience.

Just make a visible wall, christ

If they're not too excessive, I don't mind them. Only one that I remember recently is when playing Witcher 3 I couldn't jump over some rocks, or wall. But the game being what it is, stuff like that is sort of expected.

They are always shit and something that should be avoided but sometimes their use is understandable.

i have been enlightened by ur darkness user, well pilled + peped

its awful but its better than lazy shit like super mario 64 where all the levels are floating over a killzone

Bethesda are the worst offenders of bad Invisible wall use, especially if you watch NPCs traverse the boundaries with no problems.

also my personal worst example of shit invisible walls is fallout 3. there are a shitload of buildings in the scenery but you are fullstopped in the middle of the road

Extremely jarring and immersion breaking. Even a lazy ass solution like a literal brick wall surrounding the game area would be less shit.

It's bullshit. This is one of my legitimate gripes with New Vegas.

>immersion
>flying around shooting rockets out of your ass

How should borders be handled in vidya (especially free roam type games)? Sprawling oceans surrounding the area? This worked in games like Just Cause 2 where you were set in a whole country. In games like GTA which take place in and around a city, I think it feels really weird because it's like this little city/state exists way out in the pacific. Saints Row 3 was really bad, because it was literally just a city surrounded by water for miles and miles. No way to get cars in or out except by ferry (though there was a dock big enough, you never see any) or plane.

I don't play your shit rocket anal fetish games.

>I think it feels really weird because it's like this little city/state exists way out in the pacific.

Look at Singapore, it's a literal City State. Just have that with some destroyed bridges to the mainland and you get the same effect.

by making your levels smaller to compensate for the lack of detail you are willing to put into the game and creating maps around that limitation such as making the insides of buildings. this huge overworld bullshit never works very well

True, this is a big problem with games like GTAV. They craft a big map with plenty of places to go, but there's nothing to do once you've finished the missions. You can play the mini games or cruise around, but everything is just an empty facade.

WARNING: LEVEL LIMITS ENFORCED BY SHARKS

Witcher 3 style