ITT: Post your favorite 8th generation character

Post your favorite video game character who originated from the eighth generation (Wii U, Xbone, PS4, as well as 3DS and Vita).

Other urls found in this thread:

capcom-unity.com/bigmex/blog/2010/04/15/how_to_design_a_street_fighter_character,_pt._10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

agreed OP

They all suck.

The age of mascots is over.

>The age of mascots is over.
Not every character needs to be an exaggerated cartoony mascot to be good. Nathan Drake is generic as fuck looking, but I still like him.

>nintendo wii u was the only console to try and bring new ip's and charcters into the generation
>literally everyone ignores and bashes console with the only glimpse of potential

>>nintendo wii u was the only console to try and bring new ip's and charcters into the generation

Both PS4 and Xbox One have released more first party new IPs this gen than Nintendo and Nintendo had a fucking headstart.

I'm surprised I ended up falling in love with her and her game. GR2 can't come soon enough.

inb4 >"""character"""

>>nintendo wii u was the only console to try and bring new ip's and charcters into the generation

>implying

they've been in this gen longer and xbox and ps4 have already released more new ips than Nintendo

Not only have they released the LEAST amount of new IPs this generation, they never fucking do.

that's a pretty good choice, certainly my favorite game this gen, at least.

Honorable mention to this guy, who serves as the only current positive example of localization

Besides Wonderful 101 and Splatoon, what else did the Wii U have in terms of new IPs? Off the top of my head, the PS4 has Nioh, Bloodborne, and The Last Guardian. Though, its arguable whether or not Bloodborne and TLG are really new IPs, since they're both successors to Dark Souls and Ico/SotC respectively. Splatoon is at least the only true new IP as far as I'm concerned, since there's really nothing like it that came before it.

His game isn't even out yet and he's one of my favorite vidya characters ever.

Agreed. W101 feels like one of those games where the characters and genre mesh perfectly if that makes any sense.

That one.

Nintendo Land
Super Mario Maker
Zombi U
Game & Wario
Wii Party U
Devil's Third
Runbow

You could even count Bayonetta 2, because it was a new IP entering under Nintendos IP umbrella and she was reinvented as a Nintendo character.

>W101 feels like one of those games where the characters and genre mesh perfectly if that makes any sense.
What are some other examples of this?

It's the first time I've heard of a concept like that and a few examples come to mind. I really think Street Fighter's Ryu perfectly matches up with the fighting game genre.

off the top of my head, Lost Reavers, Devil's Third, ZombiU(maybe), Nintendoland(maybe), and that karaoke game they showed off during the reveal. 3DS had a lot more, especially in the later years when it became clear WiiU wasn't pulling its weight.

That said, Nintendo isn't too keen on making new IPs, they have consolidated franchises and characters that they prefer to use to test out new gameplay concepts.

Solid Snake and sneaking. Even though the series has sort of grown and mutated into weird areas, I still feel Snake is the perfect stealth character.

Wasn't GTAV a 7th gen game that got gen 8 ports?

I still haven't beaten this and I bought it a week after it came out.
I only finished maybe the first chapter. How long is the whole game?

Devil's Third and Zombi U aren't Wii U/Nintendo exclusive though.

>Nintendo Land
Fair enough
>Super Mario Maker
lol
>Zombi U
Generic zombie game
>Game & Wario
Ok
>Devil's Turd
Ok
>Runbow
Meh
>Bayo 2
Not a new IP

I thought the single player for DT was exclusive to Wii U.

I can think of a few. Snake and Ezio come to mind.

Maybe Doomguy.

The game is as long as you want really. If playing a game for just one playthrough is your thing, then maybe 15 hours or so? But if you're a completionist, it can easily be over 100 hours. Its a platinum game after all. Every single thing you do gets graded and your grade determines what you unlock.

This nigga right here.

takes 10-15 hours if you don't care at all about your score, took me around 90 hours to 101% it.

But I'll agree with Kamiya when he says that the first playthrough is like the tutorial and you only really start playing the second time through. Honestly I was still learning new things 60 hours in.

Game & Wario is just Wario Ware, it's not a new IP and doesn't have any new characters. The name is just different because it doesn't play like a WarioWare game.

Bloodborne has so many 10/10 characters who only appear for like five minutes.

Why is Nintendo Land a new IP, whereas Mario Maker isn't?

Not sure, but the multiplayer is literally the only thing worth playing in that piece of shit so it's not like they're missing out.

>Ezio
What genre does he even embody?

This is such immense stretching.

Mario Maker is another Mario spinoff that's designed to play exactly like previous Mario games. Game & Wario is effectively a spinoff of a spinoff that still features all of the same characters as WarioWare. Wii Party U and Bayonetta 2 are straight up sequels. Zombi U is no longer an exclusive.

Although MGSV released on older gen consoles, it felt like MGSV was built mainly for 8th gen and then ported to previous gen consoles.

We meet again, Blunder Red!

I know her game isn't out yet but I'm in love with her character design.

I love the squid girls

I don't think Ryu's a great example, because he was shunted into the protagonist role despite debuting alongside 11 other characters in Street Fighter 2, his design was more of the obligatory white gi guy every fighting game prior to Street Fighter was like.

If you really wanted a character that embodied Street Fighter, I'd say the go-to choice is actually one of the unused designs King Cobra. He's not a lame cultural pastiche or pop-culture reference, he's pretty much entirely original and it's a shame he never made it in. Maybe someday in V.

capcom-unity.com/bigmex/blog/2010/04/15/how_to_design_a_street_fighter_character,_pt._10
This blog breaks down why King Cobra was a design that was years ahead of its time.

Can we take a minute to appreciate just how slick that character design is? It's so fucking GOOD. Shit like this just makes me mad that W101 will never get the recognition that it deserves. It's such a brilliant game, right down to the character design.

Everything about this design just WORKS. It works so fucking well. It's such a Japanese design, taking inspiration from Japanese toku, but with a splash of American superheroes and Pixar. Even among actual toku, the Wonderful 101 stand out as probably some of the best toku designs ever. With one glance, you can look at this dude, or any of them and think, "Superhero." Hell, even among Western superheroes, the W101 are probably some of the best-designed heroes ever.

FUCK. It's such a fucking cool design. That slick as fuck jacket. That perfect superhero insignia. The masks. The gloves on Wonder Red. That color balance.

I'm so glad this game was made. I really am.

The jumping off of buildings genre

Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X. She really should have been the main protagonist.

Honorable mentions also to the main cast of Bravely Default.

The genre of half-baked open world games that followed after Assassins Creeds success. Shit like Prototype and Saboteur, not to mention Ubi's own riding of the trend with stuff like Watch Dogs.

>he was shunted into the protagonist role despite debuting alongside 11 other characters in Street Fighter 2

You do know there was a Street Fighter game before Street Fighter 2, right

And hell, the reason "karate man in gi" is such a trope of the fighting game genre is because of him.

CUTE

3rd person open world action games.

>I don't think Ryu's a great example, because he was shunted into the protagonist role despite debuting alongside 11 other characters in Street Fighter 2
Ryu has been in the franchise since day fucking one, buddy. He was in the original SF game.

>his design was more of the obligatory white gi guy every fighting game prior to Street Fighter was like.
Except Ryu had the red headband and the ripped sleeves look, which was new and atypical at the time, iirc.

I do like King Cobra's design and would've preferred him to Rufus but no, he is not superior to Ryu's look.

Despite the lack of graphical detail everything in W101 has such a polished and well put together visual design there's almost nothing in the game I dislike based on looks alone. It's a goddamn shame there's so few pictures and stuff to pull of the internet, half the time when I want to find an image I just crop something from Chip Cheezum's LP because there just isn't a screenshot already available.

>What are some other examples of this?

The Chosen Undead - Dark Souls / dark fantasy action RPGs

Cloud - Final Fantasy / anime-styled, console JRPGs

Autoplatforman?

Eh...I'll take it.

Open world games have existed since the 6th gen. And Prototype was more of a success to Hulk: Ultimate Destruction than anything else.

Yeah I worded that post wrong, I know Ryu and Ken are from the first game but the visuals and character design in that game are so weak compared to 2.

Weeb sonyfags are based
You're boring

>Despite the lack of graphical detail everything in W101 has such a polished and well put together visual design there's almost nothing in the game I dislike based on looks alone
Same. I love all the designs and I love the pristine, bright, vibrant art style that perfectly compliments the setting and the gameplay.

In terms of sheer aesthetics, I consider it one of the most SUPERHEROIC things ever fucking made.

I swear man, W101 was such a breath of fresh air. I need more games like that. I need a sequel, too.

Well they improved on his design with the second game. That's all that matters. Ryu became an iconic and as influential as he is now because of the way he looked in that game.

I mean, when anyone thinks "Fighting game character," chances are, they probably think of Ryu.

Yeah but does the protag from Prototype or any of those games before Assassins Creed appeared constantly appear on collages of video game characters or get guests appearances in everything?

Like it or not, Ezio has a clean and recognizable design. Even though their original intention was to change up the design drastically for future characters, every mainline Assassin after Ezrio has just been a reiteration of his design.

I'd rather Platinum make another homerun original game like W101 was than make a sequel, I don't think there's much you could do to expand on the story and gameplay of the first game.

If it counts, then hell yeah. KI:U had such a great fucking cast. Sequel never though.

I haven't played that game yet, but I do imagine that I'd probably love the hell out of Kat.

GG Nis

Sure. I agree, I guess. I don't care for AC at all but the design is pretty iconic, I guess.

Why not both?

Also they could easily expand on either. Gameplay-wise, there's more that I'd like to see, like pause combos and Unlimited Form as a gameplay mechanic.

TMS #FE or whatever the fuck that title was must be the most forgettable yet good game in recent time. I barely even see Cred Forums mention it after it came out. It was literally just Persona but never got the recognition Persona gets, not even close.

It absolutely baffles me how people tend to praise bayo 2 blindly and ignore this masterpiece.

It was the first game since the late 90s that I felt a natural compulsion to complete.

>2016
>still no Kid Icarus anime

KI:U literally has the best localization besides Ace Attorney ever.

Yeah, in my mind, Bayo 2 was inferior in almost every way to the first game. It got praise for getting rid of the QTEs and tuning down the difficulty a bit but it's otherwise casualized to hell.

As for W101, yeah, it was one of the few games I've played in a while where I HAD to just sit down and play the shit out of it for hours. I even went back and replayed a ton of levels, not just to grind or find hidden items, but just because of the sheer fun I had playing it. I think recently the only games that did that for me were Kid Icarus: Uprising and the first Bayonetta years back.

On another note, back on the design of the Wonderful Ones, look at how strong the central elements of their designs are and how with one glance, you can tell these guys are all on a team or with the same organization. Yet at the same time, the design is flexible enough to allow for some individualization here and there that makes each character stand out visually. Wonder Blue and Wonder White are excellent examples of this. Note Wonder Blue's longer jacket. Note his unzipped boots.

I still don't get why they didn't just call it Performa and try to bring at least one fanbase over.

I get that Tokyo Mirage Sessions comes from reversing Shin Megami Tensei's initials, but there's literally not a single casual consumer or megaten fan that's gonna catch that naturally

And now look at Wonder White. Note the claws, note the ninja mask that covers his head, including the lower half of his face. Notice the kanji symbol on his forehead. Note the karate gi he wears.

Their designs are so simple, so elegant, yet majestic and memorable. Not to mention COOL. They're fucking COOL designs. Shit.

I like both though.

I absolutely love how they took a few fixed details and played around with them. Particularly the masks. Red's is sharp, hard and iconic, like the batman logo, Green's is far softer, shaped like a bowtie and leaving the nose obscured, Pink's has a distinct curve and compliments her more free-form design, Yellow's look like goggles. But you never once consider that they're different masks, they just blend perfectly the sense of union among Wonderful Ones and individuality in the details.

Jesus christ, you fucker. I never even noticed that until you pointed that out. Fuck. That is such good design.

I got a bit tired of the game after binging to completion, but I came back to it recently and it felt like there was a world to discover still. The game's an absolute treasure and it's a shame most people will never get through the initial learning curve to see it.

Yeah, same. I think I'm going to return to it soon. It really is a brilliant game that deserved more than it got.

Did they even release the pc version multiplayer?

Oh man, I noticed that green's mask was a little different but not pink's. Fuck.

Eighth Gen Character Power Ranking

1. Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)
2. Micolash (Bloodborne)
3. Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
4. Kat (Gravity Rush)
5. The Doll (Bloodborne)
6. William (Nioh)
7. Aldrich (Dark Souls 3)
8. Lady Maria (Bloodborne)
9. Father Gascoigne (BB)
10. Nick Valentine (Fallout 4)

POWER GAP

100. Squid Sisters (Splatoon)
101. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
102. Shaun (Fallout 4)
103. Venom Snake (MGSV)

POWER GAP

200. Skullface (MGSV)

POWER GAP

10,000. Quiet (MGSV)

This

agreed

There is just no way for anyone else to win.

WONDERFUL 102 WHEN?