Game Design thread

'pologies if this is a scheduled thing, i'm not a frequent Cred Forumser, but I didn't see one in the catalog

so I've always assumed I didn't have what it took to be a game designer, but lately I'm realizing a lot of those old assumptions are dead wrong. And with the current 'ehh' new paper mario, and its relatively well-received south park clones, along with this interesting fan project to mod the original with hi-res sprites, well.. I just have to ask myself: could I "Undertale" up a Paper Mario type game? it seems like it might be feasible with limited skills
>simple 3d backgrounds
>2d sprite characters with paper-doll limb animations, but moved around as if they existed in 3d
>turnbased combat but with more directional input (ideally even more than PM, almost more like Tales)
That can't be too hard to program, can it? and I bet it'd be a lot of fun. What do you guys think?

>'pologies

Her dress looks very nice

'ou 'an 'o 't 'P.

I think I want to see more of Peach's new dress.

Go do what you want to do and stop coming here for approval because it will never get you anywhere. Better to tell you now than you come to this epiphany 5~10 years from now.

I too, am a frequent Cred Forumser, kind gentlesir

Making an engine is always the most difficult part of programming a game. If you use something like game maker or whatever it'd be pretty easy, which is exactly why Undertale played the way it did.

Assuming you are crazy enough to go through with this, don't publish it until the game is 100% complete and has ample time to be disseminated online before you get sniped by Nintendo's copyright gestapo.

Best of luck, OP.

>>'pologies

Oh I didn't mean to make it actual mario...
I mean, i DO have ideas for original mushroom kingdom ideas, mostly involving a fucked up world where everything's half one thing and half another, but I was going to make it original
is that right? See that's the part where I'm the most clueless. I have a friend who's an experienced Source modder, so I know it's a lot easier when you have an engine to use..

Thanks for the legit replies. Cred Forums is not exactly making a great impression tonight

Poglogies.

'pologies for the 'breev. didn't mean to trig'

'op 'eing 'an 'uge 'aggot 'ellow v'er

's a'igh'

now yer sporkin' my language!

I mean yeah, but someone is currently do that. You'll have to wait a bit cause idk what time of day to do it, but there is a guy that is already doing a paper mario style game. Has the partners scenery and engine setup already. Just saw him posting webm's like 2 or 3 days ago

and im making a spiritual successor to kirby tilt n tumble, look for it in 2-4 years, guys

you are a filthy foreigner but tonight I entertain you

properly designing and animating a game's worth of unique paper dolls is an enormous pain in the ass, I know because I started doing it and damn well had enough

designing an rpg worth of anything is a bitch, even though it's the lowest form of video game this side of a visual novel there are so fucking many menus and enemies and bosses and attacks and items and npcs and animations and hud indicators and mechanics you need just to meet the bare minimum

Great thread

>what time of day to do it
you don't have a link?
Well that's the thing, I already do those parts, for fun. Then I just pretend I have a game. I've been doing that for years.

>doesn't even know GML
>thinks he can make a video game

Bro, just fuck off. As soon as you understand the scope and realize that making a vidya actually takes some learning and dedication, you'll give up. I 100% guarantee it. People with your kind of attitude just attention whore for a little bit and then go back to doing nothing with their sad lives.

It's called "Paperbugs" and the dude has a tumblr for it if you search.

wasn't trying to attention whore, was just trying to confirm it was impossible, and there aren't some simple shortcuts.
Like, there are things I've always wanted to make in games that i KNOW are too hard to program, because even the professionals can't/don't do it. and I know there are aspects of 3d modeling and AI that are just insanely time-consuming and skill-requiring.
I was just wondering if something this narrowly-defined could be as easy to bullshit your way through and then rely on the writing. that's all.
thanks, i'll check that out

>properly designing and animating a game's worth of unique paper dolls is an enormous pain in the ass
literally one of the easiest art styles you can go for outside of side-view pixel art

That type of game is one of the easiest types to make
Very easy to make in unity

ahh i've heard some good shit about unity. and i've seen a lot of stuff on kongregate that run in it.. which I didn't play much of because I'd have to switch to my GOOD computer that can actually run unity. Or maybe I'm confusing it with something else. Thanks

>I know there are aspects of 3d modeling and AI that are just insanely time-consuming and skill-requiring.
The entirety of making a decent game from scratch is insanely time-consuming.

What do you want from us anyways? What we think? Do you want the entirety of Cred Forums to have a meeting so we can form an opinion about whatever the fuck your poorly defined cash grab is? Here's my opinion: Fuck you and get out. Do you want advice? Suck a dick. There are tutorials online about that AND how to make a fucking game, so you can now properly please your gay lovers in the night. Every time you post in this thread is just further convincing me that you're a huge faggot and will never accomplish anything, because you'd be too busy fellating yourself and posting every bit of progress that you do somehow make, asking us "what do we think about this particular shade of purple"
I fucking dare you to prove me wrong and actually make something, but we both know you'd make some shitty cop-out excuse.

I guess it might have been because I had to do my own animation system that giving characters unique animations felt so miserable. I don't know what the best way to do that would be. Using 3D animation tools and techniques on a flat model? But yes, I went with the easiest options available and trying to do an RPG's worth of assets was still an unfulfilling grind.

everybody starts one and nobody finishes any

>there are things I've always wanted to make in games that i KNOW are too hard to program, because even the professionals can't/don't do it
name one thing that's not in video games because it's 'too hard' to program
(note: lack of computing power does not mean its too hard)

This is the last fucking place I would ever ask for video game design help

Like jesus christ it's like asking for parenting advice on a jailbait site

>Using 3D animation tools and techniques on a flat model?
isn't that the kind of point of the paper mario look? how else would you do it?

Do you have an actual question, or is it really just "should i make a game"?

Did it look like I had a question

>What do you want from us anyways?
I kind of assumed this was a frequent topic with a whole OP full of beginner's guides, some honest perspective on the difficulties, some tips and tricks.. yknow.. like fans of creative things usually have.
>cash grab
nah dude more like.. like who better than /ck/ would know how to make some simple and good food, y'know? Like those crazy baconstrips guys you see on the internet. like it's not gourmet but it's awesome and involves some new things you wouldn't have thought of, but that are easy to make at home.
procedurally generated animations instead of canned ones that play out the same every time. There's that one rabbit grappling game I've seen bits of for years, that's the only one I've ever seen that tries to make combat actually interactive. As I understand it, that kind of shit is ridiculously intensive, and making the actual game models have collisions shaped like themselves is even harder, as models get more and more complex

I could have sworn I saw something on this board once. or was it /vg/ ? should I have gone to /vg/ ?
It seems to me the techniques would be pretty different. It'd be more like 2d graphics but with even cheaper shortcuts with regards to the animation being a simple 'rotate this piece, this much, anchored to this spot, this fast'

I was using a 2D engine and did the perspective kinda like old beat 'em ups. That's part of the reason it was so unfulfilling, but I can't imagine pumping out a game's worth of models would be any easier. Jesus, even making those shitty tiles wore me down.

>procedurally generated animations instead of canned ones that play out the same every time
euphoria engine
ragdolls
nearly every game has some amount of procedural animation in it like gun kick or feet adjusting to the terrain
game models dont have collisions shaped like themselves because moving around would feel extremely awkward

you dont make 'models', you just make an ordinary sprite sheet and have your game turn them into outlined paper cutouts in a 3d space

You know what I meant
>awkward
not in combat it wouldn't.

You don't know shit about game development, you'll fail.
If you actually had what it takes to make a game you'd be doing that instead of posting stupid questions on a mongolian basket weaving pictoboard.
Source: Professional programmer that has been making indie games for many years as side projects

So what are you talking about, fully realized physical simulations instead of animations? play cortex command or any of those wacky youtube bait games to see why that's a bad idea. Yeah, it would be really hard to do, it would also be pointless seeing you aren't in full control of your body and can only move with WSAD or a control stick. Character movements in games are unrealistic because they're the easier to control

Yeah that's an unfortunate thing, we'd have to get more creative with control schemes. I've been thinking about that. Definitely more directional input
sadly, since the end of the 90s we've been moving in the opposite direction as far as control versatility.
Still, even if all it did was make small tweaks to what we're doing now, it would still be a LOT more satisfying. Still, once again, we're going the opposite direction. lots of huge hitflashes to hide the lack of satisfying collisions

There are many games that have fully physically simulated movements. Download them and play them and you can see why they're a bad idea

I don't think you're really hearing me.
but then that seems to be the case here in general. Cred Forums is not love.

the irony of this post is overwhelming

I already wrote code that did all that and put the characters together TTYD style, except they obviously wouldn't pop out as well since the engine was 2D. Making characters that way just wasn't as fun and easy as TTYD made it look.

But then, I was just plugging in position values and ranges of movement instead of using dedicated animation software.

I am hearing you, I've tried to make games that way, people want a character who moves when you tell him to move, not one who stumbles around or one you have to learn a more complex control scheme to handle. Sure maybe you could work on the physics enough to the point where it controls almost as good an invisible cylinder, but what would be the point?

yeah I think the further you get from raw numbers, the more fun you're going to have and the longer it takes to burn out. I've been thinking about this a lot concerning 3d modeling, and how I don't think I'll ever be up to it until I can use VR gloves to move polygons around by hand

You seem to have misread.
The post is mostly "if you need to ask you're ridiculously far from the goal"

what i'm talking about is a hitbox shaped like the model
so if the model of the character's weapon completely whiffs and doesn't touch the enemy's model, you didn't hit. and if it DOES touch it, it immediately stops or at least slows, depending on the material in question.
Not just floating around hitting invisible hitboxes and clipping through everything.
like I said, I'm aware this is fucking hard. which is why to this day capes and shit just clip right through everyone, and any kind of strap hanging from one part of a skeleton to another part has no way of swinging properly as those parts move relative to each other, even in AAA games.. and why grappling looks so bad

>'pologies

oh, well a hitbox shaped like a model is actually really easy to do, its easier than making a seperate hitbox even. attacks just have a seperate hitbox because again, it makes the game play better
other general clipping issues, it's more like they're outside the realm of processing power at the moment so we just have to use alot of hacks and careful measurement to try and avoid it happening

How do you feel about 'go 'za?

Well anyways just fucking do it then. Paper Mario clones are hot shit now. Make the next meme game before someone else does or you miss the train.