Motherfucking DOOM Thread

motherfucking DOOM Thread
Get in here faggots
What is it that makes DOOM so great?
I just finished D44M , it was a noble attempt at a modern DOOM remake , althought there were things that were kinda lousy , like the game forcing you to stop to fight demons.
I loved how the UAC "Calm" music was reminiscent of "The Imps Song" from the Original one.
DOOM 2 did nothing wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SRWOVU5t6_M
youtube.com/watch?v=9vSkXNM1XUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GTL8YMQHc4k&t=9m30s
youtu.be/pNkQMtZAMAw
youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nJEQfSLdVOI
reddit.com/r/Doom/
youtube.com/watch?v=UtJh_B4jDrY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What makes Doom so great is that there's no bullshit.
There's a continuously fast pace that never slows down, great gameplay, memorable level designs and great sounds to complement the monsters.

Ask a guy who's never ever played DOOM anything
What makes your little shooter so great?
Why should I play DOOM over Halo?

Who would win in a fight, Doomguy from the classic games moving at super fast speeds but unable to jump, or Doomguy from 4 who can double jump and mantle shit but moves a lot slower comparatively.

Because Halo is dead

We have pirates.

Does Halo have pirates?

What bands are on your Doom playlist, Cred Forums?
In Flames and Gojira.

youtube.com/watch?v=SRWOVU5t6_M

Because Doom is FPS in its most perfect and pure form. Enemies and weapons all have their distinct roles and ways of interacting with each other that form the core of the gameplay, then the level design and placement of monsters and resources keep you on your toes and make sure you're positioning yourself correctly and using the right tool for the job. The levels themselves also keep you interested by actually requiring you to navigate and find your way through them to exit as well as be on the look out for secrets instead of just being a hallway between cutscenes.

What are some great wads that run well in PRBoom?

I wanna replay doom for the 70th time on my 3DS and I figured I's try something new

hell yeah, the best Halo 3 gametype.

Never played a Doom game, i tried the demo for DOOM when it was out a while ago and wasn't that impressed with it.

The gameplay was solid but that's about it.

Is it worth getting the full game given that? I don't see why i'd play it much over something like Halo given the gameplay is at best only just as competent as with the latter, and unless the other missions are drastically different, Doom's envoirments, music, and story are less interesting

kek, didn't even see this, seconding this question then I guess

For the campaigns, maybe, but 5's MP is really damn good and the EU/novels are still really good

I still can't beat the first fucking map from Thy Flesh Consumed

I have an idea for an FPS game, would probably work as a doom conversion

>Aliens invade Earth, cause massive fires and have a small ground invasion
>You're an elite soldier with a battle suit designed by Earth's Elite
>You're sent on a mission to go get some prototype weapons in a secret base that is in the middle of a massive forest fire
>you fight your way through the forest fire, battling mutated wild life and some drones
>Get to the base, find weapons, it collapses on you
>Wake up weeks later, find out humanity has all but fallen
>Single handedly save humanity, to various cities (New Orleans, St. Louis, DC, NYC)

The thing that would set this apart is the music. Taking inspiration from Fallout, there is a radio station that your suit picks up called 66.6 FM, hosted by a crazy fuck who gives commentary on the resistance movement, while playing various metal songs that seemly fit the scenerio your in

Play real Doom, not nuDoom which is more like Painkiller and nothing like actual Doom.

>5's MP
ZDaemon and Zandronum are way more fun than Halo anything MP desu senpai.
>novels
pls leave

>He hasn't experienced E4M2 yet.

Flee while you still can.

DOOM strays pretty far away from what made Doom 1 and 2 great, instead relying on the more popular with the kids alternative: brutal doom. Doom is raw gameplay with insane replay value in the form of wads, conversion mods and whatever. It's solid as fuck and stood the test of time beautifully if you ignore its graphics

Doom is a gem for its own merits and you shouldn't judge it based on 3 and 4 which try to reinvent it. Are 3 and 4 bad? No. They're just different

>not liking the halo books

that's nice info to have but it doesn't really answer my question

>tfw beat that shit on Nightmare! in middle school but can't beat it now

>The thing that would set this apart is the music. Taking inspiration from Fallout, there is a radio station that your suit picks up called 66.6 FM, hosted by a crazy fuck who gives commentary on the resistance movement, while playing various metal songs that seemly fit the scenerio your in
This is a genuinely cool idea.

See user it's not a bad premise or anything but it's nothing new either. I can name at the very least two games for every scenario and idea you mentioned

It's not original but who I won't give a rat's ass if it's fun so go wild

>tfw i've been making ironman attempts at Ultimate Doom on UV difficulty once a month for years and I can finally consistently beat the whole game without dying

Wait until you pick up Plutonia, that's where the real fun begins.

>there's a doom thread on Cred Forums

This should be interesting

Is there a good wad specifically designed for Demonsteele yet? I just want something that's actually made to handle all the aerial bullshit you're capable of with that mod.

I actually didn't play DOOM that extensively since my PC really shit itself on later levels but it's a pretty fun time, just not really Doom. I'd say go for it

If you want an approximation of what DOOM might be like then download Brutal Doom or something

>not liking the halo books
They're shit, user. Read a real fucking book, you weird autistic pleb.

Imagine this

>Flying into a Destroyed New Orleans
>"YOU'RE LISTENING TO 66.6FM, THE ONLY STATION PLAYING WHEN YOU DIE! THIS IS SKELLY REPORTING THAT WE'VE GOT A MAJOR BATTLE TAKING PLACE IN NEW ORLEANS, IF YOUR OUT THERE, DIE GOOD BOYS"
>plays "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll" as you shoot down alien scum with your 50 cal in the chopper while flying into the madness

>Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll
Nice.

>"Haha that Revenant thinks he can sneak attack me."
>Proceed forward.
>There's another Revenant immediately to the left before the crate.

fuck

Not that guy but,
>calls dude a weird autistic pleb
>posts epin facebook frog
>is on Cred Forums
>is a bookworm
Nigga. Look in the mirror sometime.

The new Doom was great, if the levels were designed to be a bit more interesting, and they did away with the health/ammo drops and brought back the semi-survival feeling of the original, the game would just be straight up superior.

Also, did anybody else get Halo vibes from it? It felt like a faster, slicker Halo with more interesting enemies. The imps were especially fun to fight early on, with them flinging fireballs behind them and stuff. The AI was all around really impressive and fun.

Reminder that D44M has made all wads canon

I wish they had either made the pistol hit a little harder, or let the player fire it faster than what you can right now.

That gun isn't very useful and that bums me out

What went wrong in Doom 4?

Just played it and had a blast. Sure, it's way slower than it should be, but it's way better than any single player FPS released in years.

Not like 3, they really tried to emulate the first games feeling. It's all there. The secrets, the irony, the weapons... Best of all, the story was so fucking good. It felt awesome to be doomguy again once you discover the entire hell feared him.

>terrywads
>canon

No wonder Doomguy is so pissed in 4.

hdoom is canon

>What went wrong in Doom 4?
The monster rooms they kept locking you in, only a handful of monsters could be spawned in at once, no modding allowed, and SnapMap's restrictions gimped it to hell.

They did everything but that stuff basically perfectly, though. I look forward to the sequel.

I'm It didn't feel like Halo to me more then UT or how UT feels like halo. It's less specifically halo and more that it's just in that subgenre of FPS, at least as far as I can tell

I do. The halo novels are pretty decent by sci fi standards. Not amazing but enjoyable servicable.

The forerunner novels though are actually really great sci fi/cosmic horror

Been playing this, is this supposed to work on Hexen?

I can't figure out the alternate modes besides the nail gun and the blue sword and bouncy ball gun ;_;

>starter pistol is wimpy shit that you want to replace as soon as you can

it's just right

It only works with Doom, and I'm removing a lot of those elements outta GMOTA because it's a fairly big confusing mess right now.

>blue oyster cult
patrician taste this one is one of my favorites
youtube.com/watch?v=9vSkXNM1XUQ

If there is a flaw it's that the game is too aware of being a Doom sequel. Just look at the box art, either the cover or the Doom 1-esque painting. The title is the most attention-grabbing element in both. In Doom 1's cover art the most important thing was the violence and the game's title was faded into the background letting the muzzle flashes from the guns be the focal point.

Doom 1 was about giving the player ultraviolence
Doom 4 is about giving the player Doom: The Brand

>slower than it should be

The combat's honestly faster than original Doom, enemies are way more mobile and get in your face more often. The only thing that I'd say is slower is your actual movespeed, which is way less noticeable just because of how vertical most of the arenas are.

>not 1shotting the first 2 levels with the charged shot

I fucking love how vertical the levels in nuDoom are. That was a genius design choice.

Serious sam 3 says otherwise

DOOM is pure. It's kust violence for violence's sake.
Mindless fun without a need to justify anything. Genuine like a child.

Vertical level design? In a video game? I'm modestly curious now.

I like brutal doom.

Yeah, and it would have been shit if the enemies didn't use it so well. Imps would bait you into climbing up to meet them only to clothesline you for half your health once you got up, summoners flying to hard to reach angles, shit like that. I still can't get over how ready to be disappointed I was when I first started playing, I really thought it was going to be another soulless reboot.

D44M's main fights are all in these little "arenas" where you get locked in and fight waves of spawning enemies, and they're usually laid out in a way that there's staircases, floating platforms, walkways, and all sorts of stuff.

Anyone?

youtube.com/watch?v=GTL8YMQHc4k&t=9m30s
This video shows it off well.

denuvo and snapmap

Mick Gordon scored a hilariously over-the-top soundtrack, it makes Quake's theme song seem tame in comparison. Like nothing else I've heard in an FPS.

I actually have a tic where if I'm playing an FPS and I have to dash around a lot while shooting enemies (especially if I have to peek back and forth behind walls) I start reflexively humming the E1M1 theme. The new Doom's OST pretty much beat that out of me, especially BFG Division.

>play Doom II again for the first time in years

Man, I must not have remembered all of the platforming that you had to do (mostly involves running off a ledge and hoping you get on the right one). Not really a fan of FPS platforming with where you can't look down, but fortunately you move fast enough that it's not too big of an issue.

I was really put off from the beta but just seeing his initial video of campaign footage made me buy it, such a shitty first impression and I have to hope Quake Champions is suffering similarly shit marketing and is actually great too

I still can't believe how BADLY they fucked up with the beta. It was like anti-marketing, and the actual game wasn't anything like the beta.

Damn that doomguy got lucky.
Demon footjobs when?

>DOOM states that some ancient all-power demon created Doomguy's armor
>Doom II reveals that John Romero is the source of all the demons

really makes you think on a meta level

youtu.be/pNkQMtZAMAw
HNNNG

I agree with you user.
The weapons were sweet and kickass. Very powerful and the only one I rarely used was the chaingun.
Needs more monsters within the map itself and less arena-fights.
Triple-burst shotty is my fucking shit m8.

This pic reminder me that I was sad that Pain Elementals weren't in D44M.

Could you imagine them with new Lost souls?

>the skeleton is playing the horn

Kek I never noticed that.

>dynamic kill on lost soul could've been a football kick sending them flying
>either lost soul's or pain elemental's killing move could have been eating you

>that one faggot off of Cred Forums pretending to greentext in the comments
>argues with 20 people for months at a time

>Not a level filled with blood-magic wielding psykers that gouge out their eyes and other self mutilation for evil magicks.
>No blowing them up with sawed-off shoties.
Cummon user.
youtube.com/watch?v=jGKNaIXtBZQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nJEQfSLdVOI

>Glory kill on a Pain Elemental is stuffing a lost soul back down it's throat
>If a caco demon eats enough lost souls, it morphs into a Pain Elemental.

Doom is good but Descent is better

No, it didn't, you disgusting autistic piece of shit. Back to reddit.com/r/Doom/ and stay there you fucking asshole, I fucking hate you and everyone who pushes this reddit meme.

Alot of the shit id used to make the songs in the originals coincidently, so Pantera and Stormtroopers of Death mainly. Although I throw in alot of thrash in general. Something I noticed going through my albums, D.R.I's Hooked sounds a helluva lot like At Dooms Gate, more than other songs I've seen that are noted for its inspiration.

It was an extremely solid modern take on DOOM. Sure, it had some problems like Glory Kills, but some of those problems (like Glory Kills) were almost entirely ignorable. I liked how the game switched things up a bit by changing the roles of some of the enemies you were familiar with; one of my favourite things about the enemies is that Hell Knights became lightning-fast rush-down types, getting up in your face and applying tons of pressure.

>mfw hearing BFG Division for the first time

>Pinkies became charging assholes that you can't face up front.

That took me by surprise the first time playing.

The Live rendition of Veteran of Psychic Wars is one of the best metal songs ever desu.

I can see it now

>Arrive in New Orleans
>Resistance movement is getting it's ass kicked
>The Aliens have tapped into voodoo magic and the occult
>THIS IS YOUR HOST WHO KILLS THE MOST SKELLY, PLAYING THE HITS WHILE YOU GET SENT TO THE PITS
>As you fight and push forward into the ruins of New Orleans the occult elements intensify
>Your weapons are ineffective on them now
>You find a told lever action shot gun with some latin engravings and a mass of silver bullets
>"Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath" starts to play as you fight your way though the maze that is the New Orleans cemeteries fighting occult aliens

Exploding charging Pinkies with well-timed rocket launcher remote detonations was satisfying as fuck.

Maxed out Glory Kills were fun as fuck, though. Teleporting halfway across the map to near-instantly explode a stunned enemy never got old.

You got any more capra demon posts, user?

So, what would've you done for the weapon mods to replace the shit ones?

>Assault rifle scope replaced by a mini sentry dispenser to shoot at enemies around the arena. Final upgrade makes it that it fires a weaker version of whatever your last used weapon was.

Assault rifle scope is replaced by Fuller Auto.

youtube.com/watch?v=UtJh_B4jDrY

That really gained my brouzoufs

reminder to try the new romero maps

Edguy
Twilight Force
Primus
Judas Priest

Never gets old.

nuDOOM is flawed game, but it's an outstanding attempt to make a DOOM game.

My main gripe are not arenas, arenas are cool and create fair conditions for combat. It's how with those arenas they didn't come up with fresh combat scenarios, which is why it got little bit stale by the end of the game when you find out an effective combat approach, and outside from bosses nothing is going to make you change your way to deal with enemies.

Still, I beat the game twice on UV and Nightmare with different upgrades and runes and it was the most fun game of the year. I wish they ditch their stupid season pass and just make good expansion campaign.

they're not as good as most good user wads, if he didn't make them they wouldn't be given a second glance

well they aren't BAD either, definitely worth a try. most people wouldn't try anything unless it were a megawad so your point is moot, many great levels go completely unnoticed in favor of quantity

man what the fuck is the H-Doom guy thinking with the Revenant redesign. that shit is foul.

A bit more enemy variety would've been nice.

Pain Elementals for one, but what about some new demons that could make better use of the vertical arenas? Imps, Cacos, Summoners and Screaming Skeletons make awesome use of it, but that's it.

Really fond of snapmap so far, although I hope to see some actual modding tools in the future
But the level of creativity is really admirable in some maps
And co-op is a ton of fun actually
I've finally found something to replace Serious Sam 3 survival as a go-to time waster

That pic reminder me I should finish my D44M RTS snap map.

Making it makes me wish for an actual Doom RTS about UAC fighting the first wave of demons. UAC: Cheaper but useless units. Demons: Almost unstopable but very hard to produce.

Recommend me some good single player snapmaps

Any of the classic remakes are quite good.

The MOBA one is fantastic

If you are into it, there is a harvest moon game someone made.

It should have been spats.

i disagree the game is a complete fuckup design wise
the encounters are so predictable and boring too
you never get the sense that the level designer is challenging the player like the old games more like a tour of an amusement park

It isn't the best but it isn't a total fuck up.

The level design is definitely weak from that standpoint, but the arenas and enemies are better than any in the series.

Doom is not only more colorful and faster paced, it also has very varied, memorable maps, that work almost like 3D puzzles of sort. There´s no "set pieces", but instead nonstop action, with pre-set amount of enemies and supplies, which you need to balance. Finding secrets can greatly tip the scales in your favor too.

Also, dat soundtrack.

>my face when neo-Cred Forums has neo-fun with neo-Doom

..oh, and just making sure: I am talking about THE original Doom, from 1993. Not the nu-Duum, that just sucks and is a good example of shitty AAA reboots, with tons of HALO in the mix as well.

to me, Doom only consists of (Ultimate) DooM, Doom 2 and Doom 64.

>really feel like making a level in Doom Builder
>tfw my mouse is broke and now I'm stuck with a shitty laptop until I get a new one, which means I won't be able to zoom in or out, which makes editing really hard

Dumb neo-frog poster

The only thing Halo is the MP which is universally regarded as the shittiest part of D44M. Everyone focuses on the single player which is not perfect but one of the best FPS campaigns in years.

the whole art-design, down to the nu-Duumguy´s faggy powerarmor, is so HALO, it hurts.

The SP campaign is the only thing I was ever interested in the first place, and it was terrible modern trash I thought it would be, with yet another pointless set of upgrade-trees, and the obligatory "press button to do cool stuff" finishers. The biggest fucking downgrade were the "combat arena" rooms, which liteterally changed the game into a Painkiller-wannabe.

The Praetor suit I can understand but everything else I don't see it.

The Hell levels are beautiful and MOST of the demon redesigns are pretty good (Top prize goes to the Baron of Hell). The gameplay seems to have split a lot of people but it does it fine honestly. Would I have wanted more classic like level design? Who wouldn't? This is the best non-classic Doom game and it shows at least some love was put into it with the enemy AI.

Also the glory kill system is never actually needed to complete the game outside of bosses. Health drops normally at a 45% rate and you gain health no matter what in the critical state.

Doom 1=TNT Evilution>Doom 2 = Plutonia experiment > Doom 64 = Doom RPG = D44M > Doom 3

my pc is not that powerful to play d44m but i am playing doom 2 on hurt me plenty with metroid dreadnought its quite good, it makes the make quite easy though, but its still good enemy placement in doom 2 on hurt me plenty is quite outrageous

>Doom
>more colorful then halo

Not trying to shit on doom, but, have you played a single halo game

Halo games are colorful as fuck. Like nintendo tier colorful.

There are greens, blues, and purples out the ass on top of the typical browns, grays, and reds