PS2 emulation is off the hook these days

PS2 emulation is off the hook these days.

What are you emulating?

I'm going through MGS2 and afterwards gonna play MGS3 for the first time.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1561
youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Nt8ahZRk
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Profile-Manager
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Still waiting until Gregory fix Ace Combat.

And waiting until Yakuza will scale resolution properly in openGL

Question about ps2 modding.
If I get a mem card with freemcboot, can I play games from an USB or only from HDD?

Remember the horizontal stand for the ps2

No it isn't its shit

You can play off of USB if install correctly. Problem is it will load extremely slow and fmv will not play correctly due to the shit speeds of USB 1.whatever it uses.

You can use USB, but it's painfully slow.
In terms of speed it's HDD > DVD > SMB >>> USB
Also keep in mind that you don't need a freemcboot memory card if you have a HDD.

Persona 3 Fes
Also what's the best version of pcsx2 to use I'm using 1.4.0 now should I update anytime soon?

Persona 4

But would it be cheaper and easier to run games off an IDE or USB/DVD?

Cheapest solution is probably to buy a FMCB memory card and a stack of DVDs.

>people care about PS2 emulation
>the system that has so much bullshit that it will never be perfect even when sony implements the compatibility
>pcs on the high end still struggle with ps2 emulation because every fucking game has some different shit that it needs

ps2 emulation is actual suffering. xbox emulation is better, and it sucks massive cocks.

at least mipmaps are finally being fixed in hardware mode.

Silent Hill 2 atm. it has a few minor glitches but nothing too bad

Ace Combat is being fixed senpai.

>Cheapest solution is probably to buy a FMCB memory card and a stack of DVDs.

Cheapest would be to buy an usb stick and play games through it. PS2 USB ports are 1.1 though, so the games typically have FMV stuttering and other problems.

Second cheapest, and in my experience the preferable way to play them is through SMB server. I've experienced no stutter or any other problems at all. The router I use even has inbuilt SMB functionality and USB 2.0 ports, so I only need to have the router on to play PS2 games.

There's no HDD noise to worry about either, and installing new games is extremely easy whereas with a HDD you would have to take it out of your PS2 every time you want to insert a new game.

Plus, you need a Fat PS2 for HDD support and a network adapter, but if you play through SMB you only need a slim ps2.

PS. I personally have found burning DVDs to be a an exercise in frustration, I've only been able to burn two working discs out of 6. The PS2 drive seems very selective. I even used Verbatim DVD-R's, which are supposedly the most supported ones.

>with a HDD you would have to take it out of your PS2 every time you want to insert a new game.
confirmed for not having a clue about how using a PS2 HDD actually works

s-SAUCE?
How long till it's done?
Will it be perfect?

github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1561

how the fuck should I know, I'm not a dev.

ok

I'm only seeing a face and a hand sort of on the right. Not exactly the best screenshot to show of your game bruh.

do something about the brightness and contrast settings of your display

It's already at max. It's a problem with your screenshot. All the other images look fine.

GUYS HOLY SHIT

why the fuck would you want that
just use mednafen

>SPU2-X doesn't support PS1 games

And here I thought it was supposed to be accurate or something. All it has to do is literally disable the second SPU, maybe not even that.

It might coincide with improved sound support, fixing games like Klonoa 2.
Like on the Genesis and GBA, the PS2's backwards compatibility hardware is reused for sound generation.

it's perfectly fine

I just built my pc so I'm new to this but I see you guys talking about USBs and DVDs and stuff. Does PS2 emulation not use isos or something?

OH SHIT
Possibility of Klonoa 2 proper emulation?
FUGGGGGG

These posts are talking about modding a PS2, not playing on an emulator.

That's just speculation. If PCSX2 becomes good at emulating PS1 games, emulating sound in PS2 games should come with it.

The duck tape voodoo code PCSX2 runs on allows my toaster to run games, unlike Dolphin which is so accurate that I'd need to spend 500 dollars on hardware upgrades to reach 100% gamespeed on anything at all.

Oh my mistake, did not see that original post.

>speedhacks are good
wew lad

This also includes graphics I think, if the GS emulation is solid, PS1 games won't have any graphical glitches, even when running in hardware mode. That would set it apart from actual HLE PS1 emulation

>other people with jobs should suffer because my neetbux can't buy a PC that can run games without horrible graphical defects
idk maybe run an older version of dolphin?

If I can play through Godhand without the game crashing or experiencing distracting glitches, it's good enough.

I'm not exactly sure how the GS factors into things, but emulating the PS1 in PCSX2 necessitates accurate IOP emulation.

>off the hook

Grandpa get off my Cred Forums

Its not God Hand if not every pixel is in the place the original director has intended

I don't follow your logic. Why don't those other people make a better PS2 emulator if they want one so bad? They're choosing to suffer. Maybe they should use their hard earned money to pay coders to make one.

Finished DMC1 for the first time last night.

Next to play, considering:
>Dragon Quest VIII
>Dragon Quest V
>Dark Cloud 1 or 2
>Kingdom Hearts
>Shinobi

Haven't played any of those before.

Were do you guys get Wii ISOs? I used Emuparadise for most other consoles but its shit for Wii

I found a ps2 for $15 and am buying ape escape 2 and 3

I will never understand how those crazy japanese guys made ff12 look that good.

But Jimbo, its what all the cool kids are saying these days!

Or use their hard earned money to buy themselves a ps2 and all the games they want. Would cut out the middleman quite nicely.

It's funny, people always criticize PCSX2, but I fucking love it. I've played so many hours of Soul Calibur 3, 6x res, 60fps, all characters unlocked with a pnach file, looks gorgeous and runs extremely well.

Granted, PCSX2's default settings are absolute ass. If I hadn't changed them, the game would be glitching, ghosty, choppy audio, look and run terrible. It's actually impressive how awful the default config is.

Why? The games look like shit and the loading times are shit.

Emulation is better (when it works).

Sounds like you dont know dolphin 5 fixes a lot of problems. I have an alienware alpha and most games work great no slowdown at all, gpu @40%

>xbox emulation is better
It's almost nonexistent

Just pirate the pc version. It's way better

Because it works.

Though PCSX2 is getting better. Once mipmaps are fixed in HW mode it'll be fine for general usage. But until then a modded PS2 is superior.

>DQVIII
Oh shit the comfiest game is literally sitting close to me. I still have the original ps2 disc, wanna play it but tired as fuck from doing nothing this past week.

MGS3 has graphical issues, mostly having to do with in-game post-processing effects not running unless it's in software mode. Once they fix that, I'll be in full agreement with you buddy.

People like to shit on it because the game they want to play doesn't work or doesn't run properly on their pc. As long as it works on one game you want, its better than nothing at all

I have two ps2, one of them modded and I would rather emulate everything to get the benefits of PC gaming

>PS2 emulation
>good
It's 2016, and it still doesn't even support light guns. It doesn't support most steering wheels, most peripherals, meanwhile I can plug a fucking Rock Band adapter into Dolphin and have it run no problem.

>I have an alienware alpha

Man, I wish people knew how important it is to always use the latest emulator build. None of my screenshots would even exist if I was using a two-year-old build. So glad the devs patched in the "align sprite" toggle which allows high render res without vertical black lines and ghosting.

Is Soul Calibur 3 doable with no lag?

Got a question about Dreamcast emulation.

Can you use the same save over different regions? I apparently hit a bug in Shenmue that's only available with EU settings and I don't really feel like restarting the game.

Playing through Nocturne atm

What do you mean these days? Got updated or some shit?

I don't remember the game looking that cel-shady

It's a filter

Yes. Search "Soul Calibur 3 1080p guide" and you'll find my step-by-step tutorial senpai.
MMJ custom cel shader, makes the game look really neat.

sorry didn't read the filename

No its not, the SFX are absolutely ass on PC

youtube.com/watch?v=8E5Nt8ahZRk

Posting some webms of these games. Excuse the low speed. I recorded it on my old rig. Which could barely run berserk as it is.

a 3.0Ghz core2duo (the first kind of core2duo, ghetto af) with a nvidia gtx260

What are some good horror games on PS2 I can emulate, except for Silent Hill.

Forbitten Siren 2

Dragon Quest VIII ends up looking really pretty.

Potato webm

Hope it runs well with a gtx1060+4690k.

DQVIII's on my top 10 for sure, it's a game I can play once a year.

I'm running it on a 970 and 4690k. It should be fine.

No worries mate, I am the official Soul Calibur emulation autist, always here to help.

Man, I've been tinkering around with PPSSPP lately, and it's crazy to think that the handheld released in 2004 yet still looks so exceptional. This screenshot almost looks as good as my PCSX2 ones, besides the ground texture.

Only games I really have issues with are Xenosaga 2 and 3 with the weird shadow thing.

Since you're playing MGS2 OP how do you fix the cutscene slowdown when the scene transitions to the Big Shell? Game runs perfectly otherwise but I get massive framerate drops on cutscenes that take place outside the Big Shell and during Vamps scene in Shell B.

Intel core 3.40 ghz and GTX 950 rig. Running the game at 3x resolution and I had used the speedhack for three cores and it only helped marginally.

I haven't been able to. I have been using some pretty gimped graphics settings - see pic for reference

Didn't slow down too bad on my rig though. The Colonel's long slurred out words were kinda funny.

DVD wins in this case.
USB 1.1 is too slow (stutters and LONG loading times)

Best would be to have a network share where all the ISO's are stored and load them with a network cable.

IDE is miles faster than either DVD or SMB.

It's been fixed for ages.

>emulation
>when each game is like 3 bucks used

This shit.

Emulation looks better if you have a good pc. Playing old games at 4k looks great. Also having a speed key is really great for some slow ass segment repetition in some games like persona.

Using MTVU? Maybe lower the EE? It works for me.

This game is so tedious, I want to play it because the girl is cute but just can't.

You can stop the audio from sounding funny if you enable async mix in the SPU plugin. It might fuck some dialogues (and halt the game) if you're running TOO slow, but that shouldn't be the case I think.

>not just pirating them for free
are you mental?

>All those gamestop boxes.
Disgusting.

I was astonished to find out you can just flat out download PS2 ISOs from websites these days

>these days

it's basically shitty tenchu, it's ok...
>yea i finished Persona 4, only took me 5 hours... i fastforwarded through all the boring parts
meh, i like actually finishing games legit.
it's PAL, pal.

Do the Hack GU games emulate well these days?

>>yea i finished Persona 4, only took me 5 hours... i fastforwarded through all the boring parts
You are actually implying this is a bad thing?

Blasting at 300% speed through grinding segments is only adding to your life you retard.

PS2 games look like this in europe

Yeah it's pretty amazing what they can do with increased resolution, filtering, and all that shit I don't know much about

What I like the most is being able to use savestates. You can try all kinds of crazy shit you might not have had the balls to do on the actual console because loading a savegame takes a while.

I'm old

Am I supposed to play through mgs2 completely? I find the raiden part to be painfully bad, in fact, the tanker part was so exceptionally good until a fucking arm started mindcontrolling a terrorist and a superedgy vampire appered. WHAT THE FUCK happened? What is this shit? I just stopped playing after that. And """raiden"""" is a retarded faggot.

Ratchet and Clank games are nearly perfectly now. Gregory recently decided to tackle the mipmap issue. Dirge of Cerberus was fixed recently too.

You could do it 10 years ago.

ok... i somewhat understand emulating PS2 exclusives.
but you fucks should just play the PS3 remasters.

Most of the remasters of games are worse than the game emulated.

But then I'd have to hook up my PS3.

Direct http download of PS2 ISOs in 2006?

Maybe I really am that out of touch but I never saw that kind of shit. Torrents, sure, but not direct downloads.

Oh yeah enjoy running through the same places and navigating menus at slow speed. It took me 100 hours to beat persona 3 even with the turbo thing and I only used it when I wasn't talking to someone or when I had a slowdown in game.

>remasters
No thanks.

jRPGs have always and will always be enjoyable only to autists

Emulated looks way better unless the remaster includes different textures which is rare. Most of the remasters just up the resolution which you can do in pcsx already.

>Direct http download
You didn't specify that much. There were mirrors of course, large http downloads didn't really exist even.

Remasters are mostly worse. Whats true for the music industry is true for the games industry.

>Emulating a PC game.
Are people on Cred Forums not aware there was a PC port of MGS2, or do they all really want to play the skateboarding minigame?

Rapidshare?

I like anime and weeb shit but I seriously don't know how I completed persona 3. Reading about the way persona 5 works makes me want to play it because of hand crafted dungeons. But persona 3 honestly has worse story compared to an anime, worse dating than a dating sim and worse gameplay than other rpgs. Add to this the incredible amount it takes to beat for the first time (around 80 hours), the unforgiving s. link calendar and the repetition needed and I honestly don't know why it is so highly regarded except for the "death" themes which are honestly not that profound.

You know how that shit was. Takedowns all the time.

OP just a heads up, no spoilers or anything...
DON'T PLAY THE MGS SERIES OR AT LEAST AVOID MGSV (end it on MGS4).
Unless you're fine with pain and suffering that never goes away. In that case, spread your wings and fly! God be with you.

people are actually retarded, i see a lot of people emulating silent hill games too

The PC port is shit and doesn't run on modern OSes, apparently

Also, controller vibration

Man, you guys remember when Kratos was in Soul Calibur?

>Gregory recently decided to tackle the mipmap issue

O N L Y 8 Y E A R S
N
L
Y

Y
E
A
R
S

I have mgs2 substance pc right here. Cant get it running on win7.

I really hate how entire game is just one fucking dungeon with predictable 90 degree turns and angles, with same fucking textures throughout the game.

Honestly I get the appeal of Persona games but most people who seem to truly enjoy it are enjoying it for the friendship simulator that it is. It's like eating a soup because you like the spoon you got.

>You know how that shit was.
It wasn't shit before it turned to shit. Rapidshare was the go-to site at one point. Every mirror has its hay day.

i don't know user.. watching the unfinished ending on youtube made that pain go away.
it's still a phantom pain though

this is why DRPGs are the true patrician's genre

I could see myself enjoying the game if I was 13 and had nothing to do after school but honestly if the game was 30 hours long I wouldn't have a problem with it. Persona 5 looks better because of hand crafted dungeons but I think I'm burned out on persona for at least a few years. Maybe if it comes to pc one day.

He said like 4 days ago he'll do it and it's almost done.

Really weird guy.

>mgs2

it's on PC numbdumb

>Dirge of Cerberus was fixed recently too.
fuck
I actually really loved that game

how well does pcsx2 run on 8350s? I need to upgrade

MGSV is the best game of the series.
MGS story was always fucking garbage to be honest but they were enjoyable. MGS4 suffers from trying to close every plothole and it's the worst game of the series. At least with MGSV you have great gameplay but it does feel incomplete.

> look up drpg

i prefer dice and im not hard into rpgs or rpg mechanics

I don't even know what that is but the game is pretty demanding.

does this mean that jak and daxter is fixed???

>tfw I have that same pen

No but it's better for unrelated reasons.

On this we disagree. Maybe I need to man up and play it again without the shroud of hype, but it hurt me so bad the first time around that I'm not keen to try again.

One can hope.

Only 4 is still sucks when emulated?

Runs like shit

How about Baldurs Gate Dark alliance? Either 1 or 2. Any of those work now? I tried it a couple years ago and no chance.

I think someone in the last .hack// thread said it works decently. It lagged some on the PS2 though, so I don't know if it'd work better or worse on PC.

MGSV:
best gameplay
worst story
worst use of gameplay
worst boss fights

Wasted potential: the game

Supposedly there was some big breakthrough quite a while ago.

The ps2 slim had usb 2.0 and it still wasn't enough.

no it didn't

Will that fix zone of the enders 2 issues? Or are those unrelated?

Can i make config profiles for different games in pcsx?

>tfw still have working ps2
I need to find persona on ebay...

how do I get emulators working on android though? i've seen a few on youtube but they are very beta. my pc is a toaster, don't even suggest.

I was about to sperg hard on you but then I remembered that I read that shit when I was 16 so I checked again and saw that it's actually usb 1.1.

Fuck you anyway.

just mod the fucker

zoe2 doesn't have any issues.

pcsx2 bonus

Thinking of pulling my phat PS2 out of the closet and installing HD Loader on it. Does PS1 games work with HD Loader?

Rekindled my love for Burnout 3: Takedown

Shame the skybox is fucked up and stays solid black, but oh well. And I can't take videos unless they're limited to 30fps.

I got my original ps2 mod chipped and it died though...

if I had money to spare id do it myself but i don't.

how can you people bear playing the game in the forced wrong aspect ratio

it literally hurts my eyes

So is there a way to fix that flickering at distance in Okami?

The problem with HDD is that you need a Fat PS2.

But Burnout 3 has 16:9 native support, it auto-activated if your emu is in 16:9 mode.

Buy a FMCB memory card from eBay.

HD Loader is ancient, OPL is all anyone uses any more.
Also, no. Without a hard mod, you can only use a swap trick or a bad emulator.

You can play PSX games through the HDD right?

You can unfuck the skybox by launching a race on software mode, leave and switch back to hardware mode.

Indeed, use either PCSX2 Bonus or this standalone profile manager app. forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Profile-Manager

But if all else fails you could always simply use a duplicate PCSX2 for each game. It's not space efficient, but it works.

OPL and network cable is god tier choice.
Some games dont work however.

Samurai Warriors 2 Empires

Good shit.

The game has huge slowdowns to 30-40 fps making it pretty unplayable, at least for me.

Can I play rachet & clank going commando yet? last time I tried on pcsx2 about 6 months ago it slowed down a ton whenever you looked at moving objects. I don't really know how to mess with all the settings and "hacks"

>What are you emulating?

Motherfucking Ring of Red. It's basically Front Mission meets Valkyria Chronicles and also happens to be great.

FOX TWO FOX TWO

Give it a week or two.

kewl

why? Some big update coming out or something?

I wish I wasnt so lazy to play FM3, 4 and 5

That game was terrible.

>PS2 emulation is off the hook these days.

>urge to play SSX3
>runs and looks like shit in PCSX2

>realize it's also on gamecube
>runs and looks amazing on Dolphin
>same thing with Timesplitters 3

And Ace Combat games are still not fixed after all these years. Fuck the PCSX2 devs

Wish I could get myself to ignore the molehills of 5 instead of making them mountains.

mipmaps are being fixed in hw mode

Man I gotta get into Dolphin

the online especially is great.
I miss the multiplayer threads from a month or two ago.

shit I would love to play some online metal arms.

Did anyone finish this? I rented it a long time ago but never beat it. Does it hold up?

It's the shit. Them custom texture packs are great.

For instance those 360 button prompts

Do you have any general config tips?

source?

Wow that's cool as shit

I beat this game a long time ago. Never got the secret legion, though. Don't even remember what I had to do to get it

>emulation is more professional that many pc ports
wow

The one I'm using has all kinda redone textures and shit.
Right?

Not that poster but my pcsx2 screenshots always output at a different aspect ratio from how they appear on screen.

Not to mention action replay codes to change the camera controls for the GC Zelda games.

more autists working on it

If your PC runs pcsx2, you do not have a toaster, son.
My PC lags when emulating PS1. It is I that have a toaster.

Emulating motherfucking Shadow Heart Covenant.
Everytime i'm in a slump i would play some jrpg. The genre itself is corny,cheesy,childish but for some reason it never failed to cheer me up. Make me feels like a kid again

How did you get the ground to not be scrambled? Doesn't look like you're using software mode.

Always download the latest build. Pic related is the config I'd generally recommend, though you can adjust the render res accordingly, I use 6x for SC3. "Align sprite" and "Wildarmsoffset" both fix ghosting, which I notice in a surprising amount of screenshots people post. PCSX2 should really enable those two toggles by default. As for the speedhacks, I have it set to "safe" but you should adjust it according to the game.

Also I recommend MMJ's Celshader, pic related. It's really neat to see celshading in different games.

>but tired as fuck from doing nothing this past week

depression is a hell of a disease

You either learn to live with it or you don't

You can play Gamecube games on C2D laptop with GMA integrated graphics.

Tried emulating Yakuza 1 the other day, but the bloom effects have extreme ghosting. There's no way to get rid of it other than to turn off those effects or play in native, neither of which I really want to do.

what software do you need to play on network? i have a slim but the laser thing died

>not playing burnout 3

drifting in this game is too goo

Wouldn't you rather play Burnout 2 on Dolphin with working skyboxes?

Genuinely asking because I never played Burnout 3.

skyboxes dont bother me

Urban reign is some of the most fun I ever had on the ps2. Try and get good with the campaign, and s rank all that shit

>not playing downhill domination

burnout 3 plays dramatically differently to 2 because of the takedown mechanic

and that music

I CAN HEAR YOU BREATHAN

fucking tekken tag tournament is sub 30 fps...

anyone play dark cloud?

I tried it. Isnt for me. Its a dungeon crawler + village builder hybrid.

I still have my old working ps2. Slim model, hardmodded to run any burned disk.

The resolution is ass, but i avoid troble witb the few games missing post processing and other details, and most important, it is portable. I play it in my dorm at college, while my gaming desktop that can handle emulation is 100 miles away at my parents home.

I hear 2 is a lot better.

Each to their own, I really disliked weapon upgrading in 2.

the PC port would be much easier to run.

That guide is outdated. Update to this one.
HereĀ“s the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.