Bioshock 2

Man that was pretty good.

Bioshock 2 thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't help but feel slightly disgusted every time I hear somebody's decided to avoid Bioshock 2 like it's the black sheep of the family. Yes, it's not Ken Levine's groomed child. But it's fucking great.

It's more of a Shock game than Infinite, at least. I recall really liking Lamb as a villain at the time, too. Not because she was likable, but because she's the complete fucking opposite. She took her daughter back and decides to use her as a political tool while attempting to beat you down and take the moral high ground. She's so utterly easy to hate, and it makes it feel so good when you finally beat her forces into the ground on her home turf.

One thing to give Eleanor over Elizabeth, too- Eleanor's kinda messed up. when she gets into her Big Sister outfit, she says things like "This one died alone and afraid!" after killing someone. That's pretty weird. But it makes sense, given that she was raised with weird magic genetic parasites in her body and went on to grow up in post-collapse rapture, the worst place of all time. Contrast with Elizabeth, who as far as we know grows up in complete isolation and yet she's a basically perfect young woman who wouldn't be out of place in a young adult romance novel if it weren't for her circumstances. The fact that people were immediately waifuing her after the game came out put me off hard.

It's the same with Dark Souls series.

I can actually see why somebody would skip DAS2. It's not a complete shit game, but there are definite issues and having finished 1, 2, and 3, I'd say it's definitely the weakest. It feels the most like an adventure, though. In part because it's so damned long. I felt closure when I finished off Aldia.

It's pretty retarded that people dismiss Bioshock 2 just because the story wasn't as good (subjective) or because it's more of the same.

Bioshock 2 improves on the gameplay in pretty much every aspect and in a video game that should be the most important thing.

If people dimiss Bioshock 2 then they are indirectly admitting Bioshock 1 wasn't a good GAME. Not the overall experience, but the mechanics.

At what point did you actually start to care for Eleanor?

Finally. People always seem to hate Bioshock 2 even though I thought it was way better than 1. The only thing better in Bioshock 1 was the first 15-30 minutes and that's it.

From the opening pretty much. Watching her "father" kill himself in front of her made me feel sorry for her.

Well, I don't like to dismiss story as a factor in videogames. There are slightly boring games that are partially kept afloat by an interesting story, and there are decent games that are shut down by a horrible story. Look at Other M.

I'd say gameplay is probably generally more important, but then it also depends on the type of game it is, too.

So uh ... is Minerva's Den supposed to look like this?

I hear 'em when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, when I'm awake, when I'm asleep, when I'm awake!

It's an 8-bit throwback, pleb. It goes with the hacker themes.

no

Patricians know that 2 is the best in the series now.

texture streaming just shitting the bed on you. if it does that for the whole level you might wanna verify game files

Fair enough, some games can be saved solely by the grace of having an interesting story (like Spec Ops The Line) but I hate how a lot of the most praised games get away with mediocre mechanics just because of an interesting story, while legitimately fun games are forgotten and/or ignored.

I played some of Bioshock 1 (last thing I remember is getting to a garden area) and I quit because the gameplay was clunky and awkward and a mess on PC. It might have the most amazing story ever told in a video game, but I'm not willing to slog through god knows how many hours just to get to that point. Might as well watch one of those cutscene compilations on Youtube.

Huh. I didn't really care until the part where you almost reach her before Sofia takes her away, and Delta starts banging on the glass and shit. I really came to like Eleanor after I got the good ending on my first run through. I thought she would be judging me the whole time I played the game, but it turned out she was learning from me. I was so proud of her.

Oh shit that worked, thanks a lot user.

To me 2 had the best hook out of all the Bioshock games. In 1 you don't really know what the fuck is going on and in Infinite you have to save some random chick you don't know. In 2 at least it's your kinda-sorta-daughter and that grabbed me.

Maybe I just really liked the idea of a big lumbering metal monster that has a soft spot for someone

The levels in Bioshock 1 are better.
apart from arcadia and the big daddy assembly quest, the areas are much better than in Bioshock 2.
also better antagonist.
Bioshock 2 has nice outside segments.
defending little sisters can get a little tedious but they give you plenty of fun tools to mess around with.
on top of that, you get a sick drill charge wich might be one of the most statisfying attacks in all videogames.

I'm actually planning to replay Bioshock once the remaster's glaring issues are fixed, but I hear you. I didn't loathe Gone Home when I played it first, completely blind. It was fine. Way too short for the price and the characters weren't too likable but I thought that was what they were going for.

But even with as really bad as 2013 was for videogames, I wouldn't consider it GOTY. Stanley Parable and Papers, Please IMO were both more interesting story-based indie titles released in that year alone. Felt like it succeeded critically on the merits of nostalgia and its LGBT conclusion, which was really blowing up at the time because people were trying to get gay marriage legalized.

I guess it's just best to sort of give critics like that a fair shot, but take it with a grain of salt and don't take it too close to heart. They have whatever reasons for believing what they believed at the time, it doesn't make the games they like objectively better.

Even if really fun games get glossed over by the general public, I'm sure the developers are happy that there's an audience that played and loved them at all.

This has strayed really off topic.

>until the part where you almost reach her before Sofia takes her away

by that time in the game you should be quite sympathetic to her plight (esp. after her diaries specifically poole) and that's even disregarding the pairbond.

I see you have the Remaster, look at those stunning graphics!

2013 had MGR and arguably GTA V, at least.

When did BS2 come out, again? It feels so long ago.

So like, about Bioshock 1, if Jack was conditioned and hypnotized or whatever the whole time, why did Fontaine lie?

Elizabeth wasn't isolated. She lived in a gilded cage.

i got into the dark souls games very late (like a year after dark souls 2 came out) i played the shit out dark souls 1 and absolutely loved it - probably one of my favourite games of the last decade and it would easily be my favourite if not for the incredibly obviously rushed 2nd half

i completely skipped dark souls 2 after watching matthewmatosis's video about it, his points on the level design of ds2 alone were enough to completely turn my off

youtube.com/watch?v=UScsme8didI

i loved dark souls 3 though, cant wait for the dlc

Why the fuck would you make that the opening pic, you retard?

Considering Jack doesn't immediately murderfuck Ryan the moment he meets him, i assume the conditioning wasn't perfect so he had to fake it

for us

She had books and stuff to take care of herself with, but she had very, very little human interaction was my impression.

The only explanation for her being a perfectly healthy young woman in my mind was that was that she took vacations in tears, but then I thought- if she did that, why didn't she just escape through one?

I can't remember if Songbird can follow somehow but even if he could she could just go somewhere he -can't- follow.

The intro to Bioshock 2 is the perfect analogy to divorce.

Booker is the first person she ever actually sees apart from the Songbird, so yeah, that's fucking isolation

>the good ending is letting that cunt Sofia Lamb live

Almost not worth it, even if it does teach your daughter to be a good girl.

>not killing a verifiably evil person is good

And what? They expect Sofia lamb to give up her ideology - her sole driving purpose - just like that? She can't fit into the world delta fought for. The only right option is to kill her.

Also I think it's kinda BS that she could just learn how to be a proper young lady through reading books.

People don't work like that as a rule, I've always thought. You need to actually do something repeatedly to get truly GOOD at it, I highly doubt that Elizabeth could be a complete carefree social butterfly on her literal first time out.

To be fair, she's been pushing that you're this revenge-crazed rampaging monster that needs to be put down the entire game and letting her live despite everything she's done is making the point that you're the bigger man.

She knew how to read and how to properly interactive with people. No way, she was isolated up until Booker.

And before anyone goes "well gee user there's like, vigors and tears and shit but you can't believe Elizabeth is good at socials?"

That stuff requires to suspend your disbelief in science and the world, which is a lot easier to do than suspending your disbelief in humans acting and working like humans. I find it really hard to abide that shit in a game with a serious plotline because I'M a human and the whole point of a story like that is you're supposed to find a way to relate.

That's what we're saying, you dummy. It's a plothole. It doesn't make any sense. She could probably learn stuff and how to read herself with the vast quantities of books she had, that's not too crazy. My brother learned how to read by playing Pokemon. But social interaction is habit. You have to learn it by doing it.

Your brother had a tutor and so did Elizabeth. without any human interaction, she wouldn't even know what words were. Unless the songbird actually speak a human language. Perhaps they meant Elizabeth been isolated from the outside world.

I can't help but adore Bioshock 2 the most out of all that have been released.

I dunno, I think if you had enough books (of varying varieties, not just fiction and literature like that. Maps, picture books, dictionaries, encyclopedias)

You could teach yourself to read.

Malcolm X needed some help. Even runaway slaves like Fredrick Douglas needed help and he basically taught himself. Without the human interaction, Elizabeth wouldn't even know how words sounds. She be like that wild child.

I like how the hivemind of Cred Forums has been labeling B2 as irredeemable shit for a long time.

Bioshock 2 is the best game in the series by virtue of being the most consistently solid. The lack of needed mechanical variety and that abysmal last third of the first game sours it, and Infinite is a near-vertical drop in quality once the "bathysphere" moment in the opening ends.

So when does Bioshock 2 happens? After the events of 1? How the hell is everything still holding up and there's people around?
How Big Sisters managed to appear out of thin air? Where was Lamb and her religion before that?

Hey, yeah. Even if Elizabeth had regular contact with her observers she's still reading far, far in excess of anything they would ever say to her. She should be mispronouncing a word she's only seen in books in every sentence.

Go read a wikia, nitpicking turbonerd.
I think it happens several years after B1.
Sploicers are more fucked up and tribal.
It's an underwater city, I ain't gotta explain shit.

>nitpicking turbonerd.
I just want to know how a failing underwater city that almost destroyed itself even before bioshock 1 manage to hold on till 2 and not only that, managed to mass produce big-sisters, out of something.

Gonna hijack this thread to ask.
Are the Infinite DLC in rapture worth playing?

Do you want to retroactively dislike Bioshock 1?

That depends on how much they communicate with her. Maybe they were grammar Nazis and corrected her every time.

B2 takes place rougly ten years after B1 ends

I think it's pretty good. I think it helps deal with the issue of infinite making bioshock 1 feel insignificant Elizabeth ending up permanently dead by Fontaine's hand was a good way to do this but it'd also be better if infinite didn't touch rapture, I think.

the bioshock 2 remaster doesnt by any chance include the dlc for free if you had just bought the first version game without the dlc before right?

True, I think I'm just harsh on it because it warps Rapture into the same theme park like design that Columbia was.
Two things I liked though.
1. The little nod to the very original teaser trailer for Bioshock with how Comstock gets killed
2. That fucking lobotomy scene

Couldn't tell you, since I got Minerva's Den for free when they removed GFWL.

retroactively adding the skyhook to rapture is pretty ridiculous, I'll say that

Anyone else find it weird that you only ever fight a single normal Bouncer in 1, you know, the guy on the front cover?
You fight the one in the Medical Pavilion, and then it's all Rosie's until Fort Frolic, where they are then elites, which have a visibly different colour scheme.
I suspect it's to keep the player from getting both Wrench Jockey's super early.

My favourite part of this game is how the Brutes always call you a faggot and talk about how sodomites are ruining Rapture but immediately start talking about sucking your cock and being 'special mates' when you hypnotize them.

Literally Cred Forums

I think the DLC were great, better gameplay-wise than the basegame which was pretty much your average shooter apart from the powers
You don't get much ammo so every bullet has to count, so you will have to sneak around more
I would recommend playing it on hard for the best experience
And story-wise it ties in perfectly with the base game and completes the narrative
The artsyle and atmosphere is amazing as usual, the bioshock games are the most beautiful fps games out there in my opinion
If you like the series you have to get it

Eleanor is the best daughterfu

>daughterfu
>that picture
that's kinda fucked up

But it's exactly what she looks like

I honestly enjoyed it more than Bioshock

She's the best
Where was everyone that liked 2 more than 1 when other user's shit on it?

I think you know she's subtly sexualized in the former picture
I mean having a fetish doesn't hurt anyone, just be honest with yourself famalam

I just collect pictures, user. At least it's not as obvious as pic related

Playing through Bioshock 1, and holy shit does it put Bioshock 2 in a better light. Probably doesn't help that I do what I usually do when I play 1 and snap the game's balance in half by doing the wrench strat.

Bioshock 2 fixes the following:
>The hacking minigame which you begin to resent
>The straight up bad shooting mechanics
>Different plasmid levels just being numbers going up rather than offering any new functionality
>Just spamming the camera to get that busywork out of the way asap
>Rigid tonic slots that you can't mess with

Hacking in both games is a bit weird to me. There is literally no reason to not do it, and 99% of it is extremely easy. At least in 2 the would doesn't pause while you hack a turret.

>That knocked knee stance

this makes me a little aroused, but at the same time i want to protect her like a child

>snap the game's balance in half by doing the wrench strat

You called her your daugherfu while posting a sexualized drawing of her
hahaha like what the fuck

I thought it was decent fan art of her

Wrench is some broken shit user. Bear in mind this is on Normal.
Wrench Jockey in Medical Pavilion already lets you one hit most enemies in that level.
You can have both Wrench Jockey 1 and 2 on the same time. Combine that shit with Wrench Lurker and something that makes enemies 'unaware' of you, such as Insect Swarm or Electrobolt, and you are doing stupid damage. Become a Wrench Ninja with both Sportsboost 1 and 2. If you have the Vampiric Tonic you can even just wrench the final boss to death.
Only thing Wrench does not work on is Big Daddies, as they straight up have an inbuilt wrench-specific resistance (I think it could even divide damage by 10 or something). Instead just kill them with all the special ammo you save by wrenching everything else to death.

alright fine ill get off your case

Best daughter

>Bear in mind this is on Normal
Fuck outta here, casual

I can't be bothered wrestling with Bioshock's core gameplay to play it on a higher difficulty setting.
2? No problem. But not 1.

>dat stance she takes after she murders everyone
CUTE

So what's the consensus on the Remaster?
I bought both bioshock 1 & 2 on steam awhile ago, but never got around playing them.
Should I go for the original or the remaster?

That was not scripted scene?

Holy shit.

Nope. Big Sister AI is surprisingly good

At this point probably wait for a patch to unfuck things before beginning to play.
Right now at worst it's a sidegrade. With maybe some patching it will be a clear upgrade. It really only fixed two issues that were sticking points with the PC port, and that was the animations and physics that played at 30fps, no matter what the actual fps was.
Audio is still screwed, mouse control is still screwed, and people, including myself, get weird red boxes for some reflections.

Cred Forums is about 50% straight and 50% gay.
100% are into traps though.

there're no reasons to play the remasters

From my personal experience, Bio 1 remaster has a lot of problems that weren't present in the original, and fixing barely any of the technical issues of the original.
Bio 2 looks only barely better, and crashed for me all the time, and always in the middle of combat, where as Bio 1 remaster only crashed once when picking up the crossbow for the first time.

If they fix the crashing in the Bio 2 remaster, it's straight up superior, but not by much(unless you actually care about the mediocre multiplayer).

The Bio 1 remaster needs a lot of fixes before it can be considered an improvement, but it does have achievements and the survivor difficulty, which the original version doesn't.

The 2 remaster was better than the original game (although multiplayer was absent)

>that was the animations and physics that played at 30fps
and that was fixed in the originals with a fan patch that totaled a whopping 4 bytes.

I'm in the middle of replaying it now and it's just as good I remember. Better than the first I think. Reallly though I think 2 is so good solely because that faggot Ken wasn't involved in it at all. Ken really is just an ideas guy if you ask me. He comes up with some cool shit but I think other people need to take the reigns from him.

>can't return to previous levels

Into the bin it goes!

We need more big sisters. Literally perfect lore and design

Ken just copied his work from System Shock 2 for Bioshock

Some of the lack of proper work is depressing.
This could have been a chance for so many things.
Give characters like Steinman more unique models rather than just recolours. Clearly they did replace some models.
Literally fix any of the bugs that everyone knows about (doorbell bug, 4 little sisters in Port Neptune bug, etc).
Fix the fucking audio.
But no, instead we get something that's akin to a HD skin.

Stop shitposting for a minute I need to confirm something

Alright let's see which looks better. Here's the remaster

remaster looks subtly better

>that new sand floor

Is this going to be one of those tests where you reversed the names?
Either way I'm going with the second image because of the nice sand floor.

Remaster is definitely better here, the textures are much nicer.

>Playing Bioshock 1 Remastered
>Get up to the point where you grab the shotgun and have to shoot at people with only one light, one of my favorite parts of the game
>For some reason have forty fucking shotgun bullets before I even grab the gun
>Lighting is all fucked up and I can see oil, water, my own hand and light sources illuminating everything
>No longer feel that sense of darkness that I enjoyed so much in the original
>Everybody gets taken down in one shot of the shotgun on Hard

Is there some setting I need to turn off?

>Is there some setting I need to turn off?
Your brain

The shotgun was always like that m8.

>Play Bioshock 2 Minerva's Den years ago
>Think the game's fantastic, question why people hated the game so much
>"Hey, the guys who wrote Minerva's Den? They're making a game called Gone Home with a new company!"
>"Whoa, that'll be cool!"

Sand floor is better and the aliasing isn't as bad.

Remaster wins this time around.

>electro bolt
>spear to the skull

is this due to FOV/being further away, or is the scaling off in the remaster

b

>Use spear once
>Telekinesis
>Telekinesis
>Telekinesis
>Telekinesis

>Not playing Survivor
Shaking memes, Hiro.

Just wait until the first meeting with the Houdini splicer. The lighting absolutely ruins it.

>pick up everything between you and the spear

eehhhhh

It's easier to take orders when you trust who's giving them. Jack still had his own personality (you can hear him trying to resist suchong's order to kill a dog) so tipping him off after the memory wipe might have made Jack try extra hard to resist and break the conditioning.

The best ending is the neutral one.

Overblown highlight and black shadows really highlight how poor the remaster is.

Remasters were obviously designed for console plebs like me. It'll be nice to play B1 and 2 at almost 60fps rather than silky smooth 25fps and they do look a hell of a lot nicer than the PS3/360 versions. Plus I never got around to miverva's den

So I just finished Minerva's Den and I'm a bit confused.

Did Porter turn himself into an Alpha?

If Peach Wilkins thinks Jack is one of Fontaine's thugs, why does he give the player the grenade launcher?

How did Fontaine know Jack was going to survive the plane crash?

Exactly how long did it take for Jack to mature? 6 months? A year? How early into the war effort did Fontaine come up with this super-unreliable master plan?

If Ryan knows only people in his bloodline are able to use the Bathyspheres, why isn't he alarmed when Jack moves around on them?

Ryan intended to create a capitalist city of scientists and artists. How are the scientists and artists suppose.to generate revenue for their research and art if they can't sell it to anyone? Is he not aware the unique location of his city and his control of the Bathyspheres is more than enough control on who and who does not get access to the city? Was walling Rapture off from the rest of the world entirely an intelligent idea in any sense of the word? How could others censor the people in Rapture when they have no jurisdiction over it? Rapture as a capitalist society could not succeed, as capitalism values reach. Rapture should have been a dictatorship or a commune.

Against his will. Inmates of Persephone were forced into the protector program but Porter did not undergo the bonding process which killed Delta.

Ah okay, then what was the Thinker's plan? I remember in the audio log Porter telling to activate a protocol but I didn't hear what it was.

It wasn't as good as the first, but it was great. i liked Infinite too

I don't think writers cared about all this.

I really liked 2. When I began playing it was kinda boring, it didn't have that strong a start.

But I returned to it later and enjoyed it. Eleanor is actually useful on her own, unlike Elizabeth.

How did she get all those spiderman wall jumping moves?

The Thinker just guided Porter to it. Ultimately Tennenbaum needs it to rebuilt on the surface so she can use it to cure splicers (including Porter himself) You acquire the code necessary to rebuild it along the way

It's actually funny, if not sickening, how many similarities Eleanor and Elizabeth have. Like the whole of Bioshock 2's story and characters were ripped off for infinite.

Killing Mark Meltzer was the most emotional moment of last gen for me. I had been following all the pre-release stuff with him, and when I found out the last big daddy was him paired with his daughter who had been stolen away, I felt miserable that I had killed him in a rush to collect adam.

1. He really needed splicer porn
2. Jack has a lesser form of the armored shell tonic already inside him (that's how he shrugs off bullets)
3. Doesn't really matter
4. He thinks you're CIA and probably figured out a way to "hack" te bathyspheres
>Implying Ryan wasn't turning it into a dictatorship

>That lighting/shadows
What the fuck?

What is the best plasmid and why is it Insect Swarm? Simply the best.

>mat_fullbright 1

1. Insect Swarm
2. Telekinesis
3. Everything else

>You will never pretect your 5 daughters in the civilized world with the strength of a big daddy
He must have been such a hard ass

There was no legitimate reason ever to go back to previous levels in the original game, except for one mandatory case of backtracking.

>Implying he didn't die early due to accelerated aging

Going back to medical to snag early research pictures of bouncers since they didn't reappear until fort frolic. That's what I did anyway.