Breeze through every battle

>breeze through every battle
>annoying repetitive music
>slow-ass text speed padding out the game even more
>battle system combos have no strategy to them, it's just illusion of choice
When does this get good? I feel like they just padded out a 2 episode anime to 2 hours of gameplay.

Other urls found in this thread:

lparchive.org/Xenogears-(by-The-Dark-Id)/
insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/5586-xenogears-hardtype-v41/
youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3mVdNJOc4
youtube.com/results?search_query=xenogears explained
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What part are you atm? Personally the story, characters and awesome lookibg Gears and deathblows kept me hooked, not the battle system.

generic desert village

If you don't like a soundtrack by motherfucking Mitsuda then you should save yourself the pain and just kill yourself

I like those. Wild Arms was good on that. And Breath of Fire IV had one that immediately reminded me of Xenogears.

bof IV is a good game but it really wears out its welcome in the second half

I never said I disliked it, but it lacks complexity to be enjoyed in the quantity it is presented

It's generis DEEEEEP anime for people who love evangelion.

OP how do you feel about chairs?

the game has probably aged like ass desu. I can't imagine myself really enjoying a lot of these late 90s RPGs any more. Not even because of the graphics or anything, but a lot of them just have such garbage mechanics that it's a snorefest through and through.

Can't look past that these days.

The game hasnt even started

Yeah I tried picking up Xenogears this year and could not get into it.

soundtrack and art direction were good.

It's cool bro. I love that game but you make valid points. You don't have to like it, it's flawed for sure. Wait a second...
GET THE FUCK OUT! YOU FUCKING AUTIST PIECE OF SHIT!

It's typical jrpg soundtrack, abolutely nothing special.

Bitch please, it DEFINED the typical jrpg soundtrack.

>The man who bared his fangs at god intensifies

So? It means it's good now or what? There's tons of better osts and better music in general. Take off your nostalgia goggles.

nah dawg.. what I mean is that everyone copies it and fails because it was the original fucking amazing soundtrack. In movies, bullet time is stupid derivative crap.. but in The Matrix that shit was INSPIRED GENIUS.

No, it means you form poor arguments.
Also my nostalgia goggles are waaay over there still liking TNMT. Xenogears is my favorite JRPG and it's fucking FLAWED. Even the story is slapped together and filled with LAZY tropes. The combat system is lame and the dialog windows are terrible. OP is right. that game has NOT aged well.

But that music is fucking great. REALLY fucking great. If you think it's unoriginal, then it's only because you heard the cover band before the original.

What the fuck wre you talking about you autist it's just mediocre if you compare it to arcanum's or morrowind's or ff8 or lots of other osts. I'm not into your weeb cover bands or anything.

Best part about the game is the story by far, which is a real problem if you don't like visual novels.

Also Grahf is such a loveable Darth Vader clone

>I am Grahf, the seeker of power. Doth thou desire the power? My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, o fallen seed, and draw upon thy hidden powers!! Grant unto thee the power of the glorious 'Mother of Destruction'!

>So? It means it's good now or what?
It's good ESPECIALLY now, because vg soundtracks gradually got worse

Trust me, the game really isn't good mechanically. It's fantastic with story and writing though. You'll get so invested in the characters and progression, then get to disc 2 wanting to rip your fucking hair out with the rushed content. Even with the state of disc 2 you'll eventually appreciate it for what it was and realize no mortal will ever be able to repair what was done.

I wouldn't have the game any other way. If you're not feeling anything at all by the end of Aveh just get out while you can. It gets much more nuts than Aveh but I feel at that point you should at least know if you're enjoying the story.

a

if the story was so great, they'd have made an anime about it

>It's fantastic with story
So, in other words, it's shit.

well you still got a whole disc of generic anime in front of you
like seriously this game tries its hardest to be as generic of a jrpg as possible before actually becoming interesting

As a game? Yeah. If you're not looking for a VN just stop playing. The mechanics aren't completely awful but it just lacks substance and any real challenge.

>before actually becoming interesting
Interesting or 'pretentiously deep'?

Save yourself time and just go off yourself already...

It's just got some really cool ideas.
The conclusion to all of it is really satisfying imo.

>This game is so damn easy man
>Generic desert Village

ahahahahahahahahahaha.
In a few more hours, you're gonna be complaining the game is too difficult.

>The mechanics aren't completely awful
they seriously are.
like there is no depth to any of it and absolutely no customization whatsoever

>just a few more hours
i play videogames to be entertained, if I wanted to do chores I'd clean my room or ask for overtime

>Playing a RPG
>Complaining about length

Literally fucking kill yourself.

Is this your first JRPG or something?

Nearly all JRPGs have shit starts in what are 80 hours games anyone willing to play a JRPG knows they have to power through the opening filler to get to the godo stuff.

If anything easy as fuck battles at the start are a blessing to get you through it faster

You decide.

What really makes or breaks an rpg are 2 things: plot & exploration.
Xenogears has possibly the best plot ever made and a good exploration (at least until CD2) and that's enough to make it great.
Plus, it has one of the best soundtracks ever made for any jrpg (only the best FFs and Chronos are able to top it)

Also;
>battle system combos have no strategy to them, it's just illusion of choice

Come back when you fight your first real boss and just choose "Combos" willy nilly.
You won't even make it past Ramsus

Nice strawman.

Ad populum

Wow the biblical references. How unique and inspiring

who cares about length
most people just dont want to sit through 30 hours of what feels like the most generic jrpg ever made just to get to the interesting parts

You clearly don't want to play this game, drop it now

>Damage control

Least you tried.

it has neither a good plot nor good exploration though
it has a neat PREMISE and neat IDEAS but what actually happens in the game is boring as fuck

I'd take pretentious creative indulgence over casual pandering any fucking day

Chu chu was too good for this planet.

>Most people don't want to sit through 30 hours
>What is Final Fantasy
>What is Xenogears
>What is Crono Cross
>What is Paper Mario
>What is Suikoden
>What is Breath of Fire
>What is literally every JRPG ever

Again
Kill yourself.

Everyone who is interested in this game should do themselves a favor and just read this LP of it.
Everyone who tells you to play it is out of their fucking minds it's a bad videogame.

I'm just saying at least its workable. Attack, heal, and buff. That's about it. Everything else is just fluff. They made it seem like this complex attack system when it's actually choosing to find new deathblows or using your current deathblows and that's it. I don't see it too different from older RPGs simply having an attack button. They could have taken out the whole string system and it'd be a typical JRPG but with lack of true difficulty. I can only think of like 4 fights that posed any real threat. Everything else was just trying to manage health and fuel while stomping everything.

>30 hours
casual

You really are just too stupid to get what I'm saying right?
I'm not complaining about it being long, I'm complaining about it being fucking boring as fuck.
The first 5 minutes of Xenogears are interesting, then you have almost the entirety of the first disc that is completely uninteresting and almost irrelevant for the main plot and then it gets interesting again for most of the second disc.
Some games have an interesting battlesystem that carries the game through boring story parts, but Xenogears just doesn't have that.

anyone interested in this game should do themselves a favor and play it using this patch:

alcahest.perso.sfr.fr/XG2.0/xg2.0.html

I'm not saying anything that contradicts any previous statements

Your biggest complaint is the battle system, yet you're only in Aveh.

You haven't even BEGUN to experience the actual battle system that comes into play. You think the first few tutorial bosses are the extent of the game?

Again, come back and talk about the battle system when you get to the first Ramsus fight. You're going to get raped because it sounds like you have no idea how the shit actually works.

>I feel like they just padded out a 2 episode anime
And you're not wrong
>2 hours of gameplay
You mean 60 hours

>You mean 60 hours
closer to 70

It honestly sounds more like he's in Dazil right after the forest. Getting to Aveh content is like 7 hours in.

I clocked like 62 on my only run

Why?

The nip voices aren't even that good and all the other changes are minor.

>Nice strawman
Wasn't a strawman at all. Almost every RPG takes a long time to beat, and the meat of it isn't obtained until several hours in. Hundreds of games prove me right.

>Ad populum
Again, this is PROVEN by the hundreds of titles where this takes place.

>Can't come back with anything so takes mediocre shot at game

Again, nice Damage Control kid.

insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/5586-xenogears-hardtype-v41/

Visual novels at least let you interact with the plot through dialogue trees, flavor text, and other stuff like that. Comparing them to the glorified slideshow that is the majority of disc 2 is kind of unfair - even if that medium has loads of its own issues.

I'm not OP. I played through the game.

I think mine was 65 but it's been a while, the hltb page said 70 though the last time I checked.

Now imagine Xenogears remade in the style of Xenoblade.

Then you've got a game.

Hell X even has skells.

Bitch please, it always boils down to the same shit. You barely even get magic skills in the game and most of those are useless, healing aside, except the few times you get to use Aerods with Elly you rape absolutely everything and some gamebreaking shenanigans you can pull off with Wild Smile.

I thought disc 2 was superior. Shit really went down storywise and it significantly cut down on the random encounter/repetitive slow combat song and dance snoozefest, instead mostly delivering interesting bosses.

HLTB is wrong a lot of times.

not that good > terrible unsynced mess

Just take all the ideas from Xenogears and throw out the plot, the characters, absolutely everything and make a new game in the style of Xenoblade.
BAM. Best JRPG ever made.

Yeah but the game has a terrible script and a lousy translation.

You'd think that would have been the priority

>In a few more hours, you're gonna be complaining the game is too difficult.
Well he's close to one of the only legitimately hard fights in the game.

>start this hoping for a unique jrpg with mechs
>it's actually the most boring shit ever
I must be stuck in that fucking prison city for over a year now.

You'd rather get a useless mess because Xenogears doesn't lend itself to an open world RPG.

Can someone explain to me what "You will be as gods" is supposed to mean in the context of the game? Like it makes no sense whatsoever for Deus to say that.

Well, good thing Xenoblade is just a standard JRPG with really large areas then.

It's like Eva, the mechs are just cheap bait for kids while the story is actually about god and reincarnations and shiet

Why aren't you emulating while holding down the speed up key like any rational person playing a JRPG?

No JRPG feels quite as boring when you're playing it at 5x speed even with that game's crazy encounter rate.

You just let go when you're out of dungeons and shit.

It's worth it.

I haven't played Xenoblade, so have I been lied to about it being open world all the time?

I'd like to see an attempt at a new translation, for sure, but that would be a MUCH bigger project than changing a few voice files.

To be honest, however, I'll problably never EVER play this game in it's entirety again.

>the mechs are just cheap bait for kids
I don't wanna be that guy who pretentiously speaks aboout Eva, but the mechs in Eva are freudian metaphors

>You just let go when you're out of dungeons and shit.
Nah, you should also hold it down during conversations considering how fucking slow the text moves.

>I thought disc 2 was superior. Shit really went down storywise and it significantly cut down on the random encounter/repetitive slow combat song and dance snoozefest, instead mostly delivering interesting bosses.
Well, I personally wanted to play a video game, not read a slide show. Good stories can't really salvage bad games - especially when you have to put up with the game for like 60 hours to fully experience the plot. I really don't understand why Xenogears is considered a classic by some people. The final product isn't very good - I could name early SNES RPGs that are more playable. Sure, the concept and story are good, but if you can't execute them properly (and recounting major events in slide shows is NOT a good way of executing it), there's no fun to be had. The battle system sucks, the dungeons are lame, the random encounters are too frequent, and all those bosses you mentioned on disc 2 are boring as hell.

play a superior "RPG made by Squaresoft featuring Mechs on the PSX" game

As I said, the mechs are cheap bait for kids. If it was for adults, you wouldn't need your metaphors to feature fights and explosions.

Well, the new one, Xenoblade Chronicles X is more of an Open-World-RPG, but the one on the Wii just has really large areas, you still follow a completely linear plot from A to B though.

Speak for yourself

>As I said, the mechs are cheap bait for kids
well yeah there's that element too, but that's because it was a mecha show in the first place and that remained its core.
It even aired on a children time slot originally and didn't go darker until later in the series which is why it's funding started to get pulled.

>references
the plot and characters are based on religious themes, especially gnostic ones. japan has a weird boner for gnosticism, with this, smt etc.

>because it was a mecha show in the first place
Except it wasn't, it's a phil or sophie show pretending to be a mecha show as a mockery of the genre.

I'm a slow reader.

Well yeah, it's basically bible with robots.

>Except it wasn't, it's a phil or sophie show pretending to be a mecha show as a mockery of the genre.
That was EoE and even then it was mocking otaku culture in general which Anno himself says he was apart of at some time.

The series started out purely as a mecha show, just look at the concept art out there, it was originally going to be way more upbeat and light-hearted.

>it wasn't a strawman because it's true
Stopped reading there.

>No sophomoric philosophical, religious, and pseudo-intellectual allegory
DROPPED

>it's like EVA
Eva is a wish-fulfilment harem show. How is this JRPG anything like that at all? I can just browse the harem section of myanimedatabase if I wanted harem.

then cheat. enable a cheat code that disables random battles and just occasionally give yourself 10 to 20 levels to stand a chance in boss fights, and the game becomes 10 times less boring.

tons of random battles are one of the worst ideas jrpgs ever had, literally padding to slow you down and give you an illusion that the game is long.

>Eva is a wish-fulfilment harem show.

Did we watch the same show?

But the FAR were there during the planning periods

>The MC gets BTFO each way past Mars

You wot mate?

At that point just watch the game on youtube or read an LP

Rewatch EVA again now that you're an adult.

It's kind of like Metroid - there's a set linear progression, but you have loads of chances to stray from the beaten path and do sidequests and shit. Fast travel is abundant, but you still have plenty of remote areas outside of town to discover.

It's not specifically a biblical reference, it's Ultraman which was using religious imagery because in Ultraman canon the "God of Abraham" was actually an Ultraman.

youtube.com/watch?v=LJ3mVdNJOc4

>take game part off the game
>"game" becomes better
why japan does this?

>But the FAR were there during the planning periods
you do realize that ancient aliens is a thing that the mecha genre's had forever?

And?

Shinji gets fucked over way too hard, especially for a 14 year old.

He is thrown into a situation too grand for him, and placed with responsibilities that no boy his age should have to bare

With that in mind, there is also his severe anti-social behaviors and upbringing that leads him to multiple fuck ups, some which he never recovers from.

You mean that bit where he masturbates over a comatose girl and the other girl he likes dies?

>Shinji gets fucked over way too hard
Watch EVA again if that's the conclusion you drew.

Dude I think you may need to watch Eva again based on what you're spouting.

except Metroid is a good game, and not a chore to play

>likes
This is just your projection. He has shown zero desire for anyone and he hasn't bonded with anyone beyond first base. This is done on purpose as to not take away the harem setting

>no you
Two can play that game.

>This is just your projection.

Okay now I know you're shitposting since he shows clear affection for Rei early on.

because japan does unnecessarily boring and repetitive game systems. nearly all jrpgs are boring as fuck as games, and without any story the games would be trash, nothing more than menu choices: the game where you click buttons to see numbers change over and over.

>tfw this new

What I'd give to be you. I'd love to experience Xenogears afresh... After 20 years, I'm still into it.

You keep on saying that, but give no foundation for your opinion nor your reasoning.

Step up, user.

I beat the game twice. I actually hate it less now than I did before. When I first played it as a teen, I thought the plot was dumbest shit ever. I've kind of grown to appreciate it more, but there's no way I'd sit through the game again.

xenogears is well worth your time.

I was at the generic desert village, and thought is was boring too. until i play longer and realized how grand this game with is story and setting

battered wife syndrome

ultraman itself probably used the biblical reference though. the series uses more, like kain and abel, adam and eve imagery, gnosticism's yahweh = satan (deus was originally supposed to be called yahweh but americans got pissy), wave existence = gnostic original creator god, zohar, new jerusalem and so on.

My foundation is having SEEN EVA and UNDERSTANDING it.

>he shows clear affection
Again projecting. There's no such thing as non-ambiguous relationships in a harem show.

You mean the single translator of the game

This, Xenogears is similar to most old JRPGs in terms of combat systems. It just so happens to also not be very challenging which wasn't too uncommon either. They took the standard attack button and made it into a flashy combo string system with no substance.

Most JRPGs just don't know how to make their turn based battle systems strategic without also making every battle take too long. It can be hard to balance.

If you don't like the game bits of them, then don't play them? I like the menu browsing. Sometimes I need a break from action games.

doesn't matter. thanks to the guy who wasn't intelligent enough to realize this was gnostic, not judeochristian the reference was fucked up.

make less battles. you don't need to fight every 5 steps.

>ultraman itself probably used the biblical reference
No shit can you even read?

>the series uses more,
Again, no shit can you even fucking read? I'm seriously questioning if you're retarded or not.

That scene in particular wasn't making a religious reference it was making an Ultraman reference which was using religious imagery.

>doesn't matter. thanks to the guy who wasn't intelligent enough to realize this was gnostic, not judeochristian the reference was fucked up.
lol okay buddy. You try being on a tight schedule and having to pull multiple all-nighters to translate a game like Xenogears. I'd like to see how well you'd do. Richard Honeywood did the best he could, especially after having several translators walk out over the course of the project.

That's about as wrong as it gets, user.
Thanks god music taste is subjective though

How was Saga compared to Gears? From what I hear the dude basically gave up on ever realizing his vision for Xenoblade and beyond. Was Xenosaga an honest attempt to recapture the magic of Gears and better flesh it out or did it still end up being a rushed mess? Was it even remotely as good as Gears?

>Xenogears and Arcanum
>Three string quartet vs an composed orchestration
Get the fuck out with your apples to nigger balls comparison

Saga is an abortion and black stain on the franchise.

Basically all the Xeno games (Haven't finished XCX) are retellings of the original Gears in different settings.

They're all about gods created by accident who start a new world and then you beat them at the end for muh breaking the cycle.

What did he mean by this

just had to test if i was still banned before writing a full reply

ΑΩ

ye shall be as gods

Thanks, these made having played the trilogy of Golden Sun games barable. It doesn't feel like I'm missing out this time around despite not having played Xenogears.

>Read this LP
I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore

>not linking the shortened version where a guy shortens every scene into two or so sentences

i'm speaking of the guy who said
>lol, no. we can't use yahweh because that'll trigger bible thumpers and soccer moms!

it was censorship born out of ignorance, not tight schedule.

and sure, some more time may have given them more time to translate, but i wonder if it'd make them stumble upon the gnostic bible to realize his name could be changed to yaldabaoth, samael or demiurge and the effect would be the same as yahweh.

I'm a bit ahead of you OP, and it's not getting any more fun yet. I've pretty much dropped it months ago actually. I think about picking it up now and again. But honestly, I got sick of stopping every 2 feet for more dialog, and the combat is still easy up to where I am. And I swear it was localized by a black dude.

>Read this 60 chapter LP
No thanks.

That's just like 5 hours of reading or so. So still 15 times shorter than playing the fucking game.

>5 hours reading about a game I'm not that interested in.
>Don't even benefit by experiencing the presentation myself.
No thanks.

hours reading about a game I'm not that interested in.
>I think about picking it up now and again.

And I don't pick it up again for a reason: I'm just not that interested.

Would be nice to get like a 20 minute review of the game or something. But I'm not reading a 5 hour LP of the game just so I can go "lol, this game is silly".

youtube.com/results?search_query=xenogears explained

I have to wonder how many times I've been arguing about a show or game with someone online and the reason they had a completely ass backwards mindset about it was because they experienced it by half-watching an LP or a YouTube video.

I mean go ahead and watch whatever you want. It just really kills the idea of really discussing something.

This.
The same handful of tracks are repeated too many times.

>But the story is good!
It hits a fucking standstill once Rico's arc starts, and aside from a few key moments it doesn't pick back up until you hit Shevat near the end of disc one.

And then Disc 2 is better watched than read because it has all of four dungeons, which suck, and like a dozen boss battles that aren't even it. And that's it. The whole damn game.

Game is wildly overrated. It's not bad but it's definitely not the best RPG ever made

The dungeons all suck. The platforming is awful. The second disk is unfinished. The story is good but wacky. The battle system is nice, though on foot battles are a breeze while mech battles are tough until you completely understand the system

Your loss. Darkid is incredibly entertaining and always makes games more enjoyable. His Chrono Cross LP is also a winner

>alcahest.perso.sfr.fr/XG2.0/xg2.0.html

Controls are put back to the original Japanese controls.
In-game battle combos are back to the original Japanese ones (matching Japanese controls).
Audio in the Full Motion Videos is in Japanese with English subtitles.
Voices in the game are back to the original Japanese ones (in battles + certain cutscenes).
The weight unit in character's stats is back to kilos (.kgs instead of .lbs).
Emeralda's icon eyebrow transparency is corrected.
The selection arrow in shop menus doesn't overlap choices (Buy, Sell, Exit) anymore.

It's fucking nothing.

Posting in a bait thread

Just read some. He definitely only has appeal for dull teens.

It's overrated due to childhood nostalgia. It was great back when I was a kid and lacked knowledge of good gameplay and story. Now it's just boring, the gameplay plays like shit and it completely abandons ship on Disc 2 like a lot of PS1-era games.

Save yourself the trouble and play Final Fantasy IX. If you already have, the rest of the PS1's JRPG library is worthless.

>It was great back when I was a kid and lacked knowledge of good gameplay and story
>and story
>proceeds to reccomend ffix
So you still don't know what good story is?

That's some weapon-grade shit taste right there.

So you didn't play the game?

lol good joke

?

The music loops every other minute.