I feel like diving into another epic rpg

I feel like diving into another epic rpg.
I've only ever played Pillars of Eternity and
enjoyed it very much.
I saw some reviews of Divinity: OS, and it looks decent.
I need to decide if I'm going to buy D:OS, or the x2 PoE expansions.
I've been tempted to try the Baulder's Gate enhanced editions, but they look a little old and I don't know if I'd enjoy them.

Other urls found in this thread:

shsforums.net/topic/33528-arcanum-unofficial-patch-extras/?s=939c72e7377917b07e022f028f7ead5b
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The expansions are more of Pillars of Eternity. If you liked it, I see no reason why you wouldn't like the expansions.

Divinity: Original Sin is inferior to Pillars of Eternity in most aspects, but I really enjoy its combat system and think its possibly the best combat system in CRPG history.

Other good CRPG's for you to try out are Underrail and Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Someone will recommend you Age of Decadence eventually. Don't listen to them. They're faggots. You can go downlload the demo and see for yourself how terrible that game is.

Here's what you should play, OP. Combat is bad but it's as good as it gets on the worldbuilding/quests side.

Sorry mate, need a game that is with in the last decade.

Swine.

D:OS was hundred times better in everything than POE. POE was the most bland uninspired game I have played in ages. Just my opinion though

How many hours of FUN am I looking at here?
How long can i expect the PoE expansions to last?
Arcanum looks crazy complex, Baldur's gate looks like a more accessible 'old-school' rpg no?

D:OS is my favourite modern RPG. It isn't a patch on balders gate though!

Pillars is a nostalgia meme, forgetting all the advancements that actually made RPGs better.

>>Arcanum looks crazy complex, Baldur's gate looks like a more accessible 'old-school' rpg no?
It's the other way around IMO. Arcanum is basically an open world RPG like Fallout 1/2 are, much more accessible than hardcore DnD stuff like BG2. Hours of fun? At least 50 for Arcanum if you really do all the sidequests you can and it has a LOT of replay value since your race/gender/build/alignment changes tons of stuff when it comes to quests and dialogues. Multiple playthroughs are a must.

I like opinions. PoE's environments were pretty boring, and the plot was meh.
But the combat was fkn solid with a good difficulty curve and the quests were ok for the most part.
Still need convincing to buy D:OS tho. Very much on the fence.

well... uhh you could pirate it. Devs made enough money (it was huge success) and D.OS 2 will release in early 2017 so you wont have to feel bad. Anyway if you want to buy it go for it anyway, it has great writing, sometimes manages to be funny, customization is great, OST is perfect (guy that did it died short after though). Story is interesting. It starts like any other typical fantasy game but it gets insane once you get into town and start looking into the murder

>needs convincing
Fully voiced, awesome combat, decent (bordering cliche however) story, loads of personality, great setting, player freedom.
It's a good game, buy or it don't. Makes no difference to me, you'll be missing out on a solid game however.

if you think poe combat was solid, you going to have a blast with divinity.

Minus story and maybe characters, divinity does everything in PoE better.

I stopped playing Divinity, loved the combat but the games le wacky humor turned me off, I wanted Baldur's gate not nickelodeon

D:OS is miles better than Pillars of Snoreternity

PoE was good, but suffered a little from too MUCH lore.

The universe and everyone in it were so hellbent on name-dropping every deity, location and person in it (90% of which you would never meet or see) that it actually overloaded my system.

I remember somewhere around the half-point mark I was doing a side quest for some cunt who needed me to gather something from the tomb of a local someone to help her make something to appease someone for some reason.

I pride myself on my borderline autism in terms of wanting to get invested in the world, but I put the game away when I realized I had 0 idea what I was doing or why.

No one bothered explaining anything to the main character, and thus I was left completely in the dark about a very vast majority of topics.

This does not for good world-building make.

Does the lore/story get better later in the game in PoE?

Currently in Gilded Vale, cleared the temple of Eothas ruins, now have to find this fag who will tell me more about watchers.

But the world just seems so boring and uninteresting I don't even know if I want to continue.

>good RPG
>within the last decade
Well I hope you like the idea of replaying PoE for the next few years or so then, because that's literally all there is.

Same feel bro, and i'm really autistic for these things too.

I feel the characters drop too many locations and special families and groups who you barely deal with or even meet in the story. It doesn't help that every goddamn area in that world have their own names for the same things and locations. Sometimes even different languages.

Most of those things are in the lore section that you have to read to even begin to understand.

I was coing yo say arcanum but you want something recent.
You should try d:os.
Also poe extension are better than the main game imho, so go for it if you enjoy the main story.
I didn't like baldurs gate but the 2nd look better.
Divine divinity isn't bad either.
All are piratable so you can try before buying if you want.
Underail is good.
Age of decadence is more a career path simulator than a rpg.
Wasteland isn't bad but there is too much boring fight.
Try grim dawn if you want a h&s

PoE is boring imo.
There have been good crpgs released lately. Wasteland 2 is excellent if you can get through Arizona and Underrail is great if you really like the fallout style combat, the latest two Shadowrun titles are good too.
If you're looking strictly for a fantasy rpg like PoE, personally, nothing has really impressed me lately.
I've heard good things about D:OS2 but it's still in early access. Truth is I really did love D:OS but the saturday morning cartoon story and atmosphere and the fact that your companions may as well not even have backstories and don't really interact with you except for in combat eventually made me drop it by the end of the first act. I would still suggest trying D:OS if the overall goofiness isn't a negative for you.

divinity original sin 2 soon no? And wasteland 2 was nice too.

how's the writing? any romance?

Writing is very good. It's a very believable world with a wide variety of races and interesting individuals/concepts. Some NPCs try to fuck with you (scam you, mislead you) very early on and the player is expected to pay attention. Some romance yeah, entirely optional but some followers can be romanced.

I've seen a lot of people give Wasteland 2 shit but the way that you can actually handle the obstacles you encounter in that game in so many different ways is what makes it a great RPG imo. Obviously there aren't limitless options but the fact that you're often given 4 or 5 completely different ways to solve something goes a long way as far as making it feel like you're really doing your own thing and writing your own story.

Agree but the game keep putting trash fight on your path. It's a solid 7/10 game for me and probably higher for more tolerant people.

where do you recommend getting it? steam gog or pirate it?

Developers are gone, just pirate it. Get the unofficial patch.

If you enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, the Baldurs Gate games are going to blow your fucking mind. They are literally superior games in every single way.

Troika studios (who made the game) closed a long time ago so whichever is easier.

Does DoS let you customize the look of more than just the main character? I like shit like Icewind Dale where you can make your whole party from scratch

is enhanced ver. shit? any unofficial patches needed?

If you try arcanum read this
shsforums.net/topic/33528-arcanum-unofficial-patch-extras/?s=939c72e7377917b07e022f028f7ead5b

Checked on Steam and they're still charging full price for it. Will pirate and if I like it get D:OS2.

Which one has the best magic system?

Enhanced, people will pretend than original is better but it's false they are the same minor a few non fundamental change.

what kind of changes? if I wanted vanilla experience without bugs do I still go for enhanced?

Die.

Divinity have the best magic system i ever seen in a wrpg game, both visually and effect aweing. Pillars magic while it was fun on paper, it was literally spam shit to win and stack debuffs

and really good opinion.

PoE was a spiritual successor to BG, so I'm of course quite interested. Which would be best to play nowadays? The graphics of BG 2 look a little more palpable. Can I play the second without having played the first?

Can't you even read your own thread?

The changes are :
-more class
-graphical change (optional)
-less compatibility with mod for people who already played the game a lot.

Go for enhanced, it's a better first timer experience.
Keep in mind than baldurs gate is still an average game with some awful mechanics.

will do, thanks for the tips

>stack debuffs
fuck man those debuff were so annoying to keep track of because they decrease tons of shit

Underrail and Age of Decadence were fun

Do you have the picture guide for beginners ? I played a lot the first month of E.A but I'm not up to date with the last change in order to start a full playthrough

I don't know why, maybe i'm not playing the game correctly, but in games with combat systems akin to PoE i find myself pausing CONSTANTLY to check what to do and make sure my character doesn't act like an idiot. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

With the amount of pauses i take it almost makes me think if i'd do better if i went for turn-based games instead

currently looking for an xbro to coop it up with in D:OS. will drop GT if anyone is interested

>Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
Lowering difficulty

Nostalgia's a hell of a drug

And then you have some mobs spamming confusion/dominated and stun shit on you with you literally dying without being able to do anything.

>Can I play the second without having played the first?
No. It's a direct sequel and you import your character.

Monster with on hit affliction are probably the hardest to deal with because of the shitty graze system.

It's more fun the play the first and then not play the second

>age of decadence is turn based

Sorry, this is a big positive for me already. As long it has good story, nothing else matters. I'm fucking sick of this action pause meme

can you import BGEE's save into BG2EE? on the same not, should I play the enhanced version of BG2EE?

You have 2 main characters that you can fully customize, unless you are doing coop, in which case you each get 1. You can recruit to NPC companions, but they obviously have a set class/gender/stats/backstory/etc.

Later you can recruit/customize merc in the hall of heroes I believe.

I recently played White March 1 and now I'm on White March 2

Note that you'll need to pplay PoE again because if you finished it you can'd do White March.

WM 1 is designed for level 7
WM2 is designed for say level 10

i gotchu family

Div OS has the best gameplay on all CRPGs

It is very slow, repetitive, and extremely basic. It's great for new players who have only ever played JRPGs and want something simple to ease into the genre very, very slowly.

>It is very slow, repetitive, and extremely basic
You are comparing it to what?

cRPGs

I didn't realize you were also very slow

Hope you are not saying about those real time clusterfucks are better.

>> I will say the most generic things, this way people know I 'm shitposting.

Div: OS has a great combat system and exploration, but not much else. The writing is weak.
PoE has alright lore and that's about it. In my opinion, Obsidian played it too safe with everything, making not-BG instead of a new game. They didn't try to make it unique. It also has an absolutely cancerous combat system and a lot of combat encounters to boot.
Never played PoE's expansions, maybe they actually put some effort into those.
Meanwhile, Div: OS2 is shaping up to be the best RPG in years.

>My brain can't handle concurrent actions

Say no more

Any turn based game will be slow. FO2 fight with 10 wolves and 10 brahmin comes to mind.

The progression of skills and variety of encounters as well as the pacing of the dungeons in D:OS is good enough to prevent it from being too repetitive. Though this is completely up to the player to manage.

D:OS is amazing, but it's quite different in tone to PoE. It has a sort of Terry Pratchett feel to it, so there's a story that matters, but there's quite a lot of silly humour (not reference based though thank god).

>wanting to play real-time D&D

The humor in D:OS reminds a bit of the escape from monkey island series. It's charming if not always hilarious.

Fallout becomes faster the more you slant your build aggressively, OS is slow no matter what

I'm playing the enhanced edition with a friend and I'm find the new combat mechanism for the sequel way better.
The fight are faster, more fluid with a lot more of movement (horizontal and vertical) options.

The humor in D:OS reminds a bit of the Cred Forums.org/v/ because it has memes

Play Might and Magic 6

A (you) just for you

Hey man can I have one too?
I've been trying to get off them but I haven't had one all day, just one won't hurt right?

Fairytale tropes, sure, but I can't think of any particular memes.
Then again, one of the origin characters in 2 is possessed by based Pelinal, so there's that.

I'm playing Divinity right now

I learned after a couple of restarts that you should go ahead and put 1 crafting and 1 bartering on your main guy, along with pack mule and scientist

its just not worth it to switch to another character to do crafting or buying or selling, every single time, this saves a lot of time, and the game is not hard enough that you need to min max a handful of ability points

do not, my friend, become addicted to (you), it will take hold of you, and you will resent it's absence

I'n feeling generous today

Okay I'll take these two and then stop

You can't get off the (you) so easily

>he didn't play Underrail
I pity you.

Not him but here you go.

Don't treat it like some kind of a bible though, it's not entirely correct but still a good guideline.

video games aren't about fun you primate

Thanks

My first playthrough I made an assault rifle wielding tank in metal plate armor
Some enemies like rathounds couldnt even hurt me and I would absolutely melt most enemies with my assault rifle in full auto. Made the game really slow but almost too easy

You should check out Underrail - the combat there is hella fun. Better than AoD's, that's for sure. Also better exploration.

Not as good on the storyfagging, though.

Also, it has a damn good length, got about 60 hours from first playthru.

Also, if you want a different kind of RPG - a bit smaller, but still fun, you should try Voidspire Tactics. Basically a nice combination of good SRPG combat with exploration elements.

Yeah, heavy armor AR builds are probably the easiest to play overall. Not the best, but certainly one of the easiest.

They can get pretty fucked in some situations though, like when the enemy deals damage type their armor can't resist (usuallybio/acid/cold/electricity) or when mobility is far more important (like when fighting psi users).

Also, heavy armor builds will have no stealth, shit initiative and low movements speed, so they usually can't start a fight on their own terms from the best position.

I played it for like 10 hours but the lack of engaging story totally killed it for me. Spend most of the time killing rats and pigs in fucking tunnels who all looked the same. Does this game get any better?

DOS is nothing like PoE. The writing in DOS is utter dogshit and the combat, even though the system itself is very solid, gets old real fast.

Yes, it pumps up the second you get to the Scrapyard.

It sounds to me like you just ignored the plot and wondered the canverns of Underrail too much before even getting any interesting combat abilities.

I'd wait for Tyranny or Torment. Unless you want to go back in time for classics like Arcanum, Planescape: Torment or Fallout 2.

>I played it for like 10 hours but the lack of engaging story totally killed it for me.
The story is kinda like in Fallout 1- it's not terribly engaging itself, it's more of a drving force to explore the game world and lore.

>Does this game get any better?
It opens up and gets more interesting when you find the drill parts.

Torment: Tides of Numenara is six months away.

if you like cRPGs with a story (such as Obsidian games and Baldur's Gate) you won't like Divinity. Its writing is terrible, story is mind-numblingly shit, it has poor jokes every 2 paragraphs, sick reddit references, and all else thrown in there.
The gameplay isn't much better. You'll be facing 20 trash mobs every 30 seconds and the character development isn't enough to keep you interested.

tl;dr - get the PoE expansions. Their story is much better than the base game (especially WM2) and they give you a whole new perspective on the gods. They also add some neat items.

I loved all the silly off-beat jokes in Underrail.

A town full of guards speaking in Judas Priest references.. A guy in a mech going "Go ahead, TACCOM".. finding a "Quad Damage" module..

They're things that could only appear in a one-man operation, especially when said man is a huge dork.

Its actually pretty good if you played Black Isle games like I did back then, but for some reason after a very long time of gameplay, game loads so slowly and I had to stop playing because of waiting takes couple mins everytime I enter a house or someshit

>mfw too stupid to play baldurs gate
>mfw too stupid to even play pillars of eternity
I tried and failed. The character management is too much.

>character management in baldur's gate
>too much
Try playing Wizardry 6 or even Neverwinter Nights if you want your mind to melt when trying to plan a good party.

sorry I'm not autistic

NWN is piss easy and can be finished fucking solo. What the fuck are you even talking about?

Autism is just a buzzword for "not braindead"

>NWN
>plan a party
I got some news for you son

For the official campaign yeah since it's designed for the shittiest builds possible but once you start getting into online and user made modules you start finding out how many trap builds there really are.

if I wanted tedious micromanagement I'd play EVE Online

The only time you need to plan builds in NWN is if you're playing online PvP. Every user made module can be beaten with a shitty bard build, unless you're brain dead or forced to start at lvl1 with no loot.

I mean both NWN games in general.

M8 ur fukkin dumb AoD was great and i played it for 130 hours

Are you joking? Once I got my master level skills I could reliably end encounters in 1-2 turns because of the massive amount of CC and damage I can shit out.

Hail Attack and Rain of Arrows CC/shred everything I have come across. And if that's not enough I can just follow up with basic attacks for ~1.5k damage each hit. It's absurd.

BG has some of the easiest party management in any game I've played. All you pick is weapon proficiency and skills for certain classes.

I was thinking about making a challenge stalker run.

>dragunov, AKM and TT only (as soon as I get them)
>balaclava and gas mask
>tactical vest
>no psi or energy shields
>drinking mushroom brew all the time

how is it too much in poe?

not quite sure, but cant you let it automate a lot of the stuff

What's the story of that red companion?

When it came out, companion didn' thave any i.a, you had to pause the game all time and give order.
With white march they have "dumb i.a".
The issue with it, as with every rtwp game, is :
- let the i.a do retard things and use every per rest spell
-or choose every actions, making it turn-base.

tl,dr: rtwp and per/rest spell must die

Could you recommend some games with gameplay similar to Divinity OS? Like turn-based battles with action points and stuff. I'd like to play something like that in co-op with a couple of me m8s.

Besides Arcanum.

there are some, but with co-op?
well fuck sorry...

or are we talking about hotseat style?

No, I really wanted to play a party-based crpg with my friends over the internet, are there really none?

maybe... party based is doable
but no idea about turnbased

iwd and bg are playable with friends

I was hoping for a turn-based party crpg, well, thanks anyway, I guess I'm gonna have to wait for the DOS2 release.

Angry exiled lizard Prince. Haven't seen much related to him in the first act desu.

Anyone have an opinion on Temple of Elemental Evil? Saw that it was made by the same guys as Vampire:MB. It any good?

yeah sorry...
D:OS is rather unique in that regard

one thing comes to my mind and that would be dofus/wakfu

but these are mmos, but maybe you will like it
one of them is f2p I think

Like most Troika games it has an overload of stats and low attention to detail elsewhere

The animation looks pretty. I can do numbers, scrolling through battle text and spending hours making the perfect party in PoE actually helped me a lot on harder difficulties.
The real question is...is it FUN?

hm the world can feel rather empty...

it is turnbased and the mechanics are solid

was the white march good?

i liked the original game

Tides of Numinera is on steam and out in early access.

Shadowrun Returns (it's meh to average)

Shadowrun Dragonfull (is really fucking good)

D:OS (great combat, meh to average world story and characters VERY tongue in cheek).

Baldur's Gate series (first one is very bland, stay away from Siege on Dragonspear like the plague, Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal have much more character - you import your character from prior entries in the series).

Icewind Dale series (this is a dungeon crawler with some story and minimum character).

Arcanum (fantasy mashed with steampunk where your stat scores can effect dialogue options, such as having a low INT making your dialogue sound like a retard is talking).

Serpent int he Staglands (had some serious bug issues and control issues early on, apparently it's gotten better, and the game is a fairly average RPG).

Drakensang (especially the River of Time) is a decent, if limited, RPG series, and RoT is easily the series high point on PC.

Dragon Age: Origins (a decent RPG with sort of okay combat, the Origins are the most compelling story sections of the game, while the game's main story is a very generic romp against a dark army - sometimes kind of dull but there are a few neat companion characters).

Dragon Age 2 is in some ways the best and other ways the worst the series has to offer. It's easily the most origin entry in the series, and has some great character and tiny individual moments. However, it's guided by the nose to specific events that they decided HAD to happen for the next game to happen, and it's painfully obvious those things will happen and could be avoided easily but the game won't let you. Worse yet, while it has some of the best characters in the series, it also has some of the worst characters in the series at the same time, and has horrible bugs, reused environments, repeated or flipped assets and everything feeling unfinished, because it's a game they kicked out the door inside a single year. Despite any moments of brilliance, it has some stupid shit that infuriates everyone and the game is trashed often with good reason.

Dragon Age Inquisition is a shallow sad sack of shit with a terrible action combat system with watered down stats, watered down abilities, watered down dialogue, stupid fucking characters, political agendas from the real world hamfisted into the game's anus, decent world graphics, fucked up companion character and NPC models, horrible animations and some of the blandest villains you will ever see a in game. Another game where nearly everything could be avoided easily but the game won't let you even when it's painfully obvious every step of the way what and where a different thing could have made all the difference.

Sword COast Legends is a modern attempt at a top down oldschool RPG with 3D visuals that over simplifies everything, and turns the game into a wannabe diablo clone with a bastardized and watered down ruleset.

Avadon Series is a series olf old-school styled games that sometimes has bits of brilliance with very very lack luster visuals backing them up. The combat system isn't the best, but it gets the job done, and most of the lack luster nature comes from bland visual representation of what's going on. These games are about low budget adventures, and it shows, but there are moments of brilliance.

Avernum series (everything said about the Avadon series applies here).

Wizardry VI-VIII. The Wizardry series is an oldschool RPG. It can be a real issue getting through Wizardry VI, as there's little direction and character interaction. However, you import from VI (which has multiple endings) character into VII and are greeted with different starting locations and a much more immersive and reactive world. Wizardry VIII simplifies the rules but continues the things the earlier series did well otherwise.

The Geneforge games are very in line with Avernum and Avadon, but have a bit of a twist. They're more bland, older looking, usually, and the early games especially have far far less story and character than the Avadon and Avernum series, however the later games become better written.

Wizardry the Labyrinth of Lost souls is a Wizardry successor game put out overrseas and on PSN that is easily the best foreign Wizardry game made. It's super hardcore and doesn't fuck around. This game is trying to kill you. It is, however, very combat focused, and the story/characters are barely present, even by Wizardry VI standards.

Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet are an old school part based D&D ruleset experience with heavy story and character elements. Stone Prophet is more open than the first game, while the first game is more linear, but not without options. The combat system is oldschool AD&D and will fucking murder people that can't get with the program. The stories can be hard to follow, but are there, and have some neat moments.

What about Shadowrun Hong Kong?

Anvil of Dawn is more about a single character experience, in the oldschool first person RPG sense. You have a decently open world to explore, voice acting, and more to keep you on your way. The combat system here is a little meh.

Thunderscape: World of Aden is a part based first person RPG with a great set up and WONDERFUL music. A dark army has been assembled. They're not here yet. What is here are their demons who have sabotaged the WALL a magic shield that kept them out of your lands. Your armies are occupied, so you and a small party are sent to reactivate the magic shield to keep the bulk of the demon army from getting into your lands while you're amry is distracted. Unfortunately the game is hard to navigate and the combat isn't all that impressive. It's also rather buggy.

Menzoberranzan is very similar to the ravenloft series, it's even made on the same engine. It involves the Underdark, the Drow and lots of D&D goodness in the Forgotten Realms setting. It's very good for its time, but very very iffy by today's standards though ultimately an improvement on Strahd's possession

Lands of Lore 1 and 2 the first is more party based, the second more focused on a single character. The first is the better RPG, the second probably has the better story.

Save yourself the pain and ignore the existence of Lands of Lore 3.

The Eye of the Beholder series is quite average throughout, but if you enjoy other D&D oldschool style crpgs, you may possibly like this series.

Quest for Glory series, 1-5, this is a misleading series. It's an adventure game style series combined with an RPG series. You can import from one game to the next, and instead of solving puzzles through inane means, you solve puzzles via your character's skills and abilities, which usually make logical sense. There is also combat, but outside of ADGI's QfG2 remake, none of them have particularly good combat. If you like these Heroin's Quest and Quest for Infamy and made in the same style (Heroine's Quest is free).

Wizards & Warriors (PC) is made in the Wizardry style, and has a decent enough story, albeit it incredibly generic.

Betrayal at Krondor is an amazing dos era RPG, and its writing was so good despite not being written by the guy who came up with the setting that it was eventually added to the book series cannon. If a story about a fairly talentless person suddenly finding they can use magic, and following the effects and issues throughout a story sounds fun to you, read the book or play the game. Either is a good bet.

Haven't played it. Can't say.

>Serpent int he Staglands
Its combat is arguably worse than an Arcanum and that's quite a feat, I couldn't stomach it.

Its ranked in between Returns and Dragonfall. I would say if you liked Dragonfall, play it.

I can honestly agree that I enjoyed Arcanum more, with the note that Arcanum's combat is definitely not its selling point.

Age of decadence

Age of Decadence is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, surpassing pretty much any other RPG in terms of choice and consequences. I put over 200 hours into it - more than in any other RPG made in the past decade.

I wouldn't call it 'epic' though, since it doesn't really cater to the kind of heroic fantasy that you usually see in RPGs.

The thing is Arcanum has a very unique and interesting setting/lore and good worldbuilding, so you can play and enjoy it even though combat is shitty.

The combat, while shit, is serviceable at the very least. Hell it can be even enjoyable if you get into tech crafting and make your own robot army for example.

Serpent in the Staglands on the other hand is pretty generic fantasy and the world/lore don't really draw you in as much as in Arcanum.

The combat is terribad, all weapon abilites are MMO-like negligible passive bonuses, all offensive spells are pretty much worthless, it's always better to cast that healing beam, AI is bad, I could go on and on.

I especially like how the whole system uses dices to calculate literally everything even if it doesn't make any fukcing sense whatsoever, like "+1D1 damage" for example. Why not just +1? This is just stupid.

You could say that everything is dice based because the whole game is supposed to be playable in tabletop, but that's not the case. It still has computer-only elements like weapon speed in seconds, so it's just nonsensical design.

It's definitely worth playing. You should at least give the demo a try.

What you should keep in mind is that this game pretty much forces you to min/max though. Most of the people in the game who attempt to fight you are professional fighters and min/maxed characters themselves who will easily outclass you if you're not someone focussed on fighting. There are plenty of options in the game to avoid combat though by talking your way out of things. Combat isn't as straightforward as it may look at first, and there's a lot of tactical depth in regards to using the right weapons and right attacks depending on who you're up against.

It is possible to play hybrid characters who can do everything, and factually these become the most powerful at the end of the game but they require quite a bit of meta-knowledge in order to not get stuck and manoeuvre your way through the game without running into a dead end where your character lacks the ability to get out.

Personally, I'd recommend first playing the game as a pure fighter and pure talker and then use the knowledge gained to play a character who can do both.

Age of Dacadence sounds interesting, in that they push it as more about surviving other Humans and making a name for yourself. It mentions the combat is turn based, which is fine by me. It also mentions that the setting is low fantasy?

No elves or dwarves or kobolds or such, but is there magic? Do other people use magic? Do you? How rare is it? How powerful?

For example people often claim Conan's setting is low fantasy with little magic, but those in the setting that do have it seem to have rather extreme power, with Conan only winning because that's what he does.

So where are we on the magic scale here? If there is magic, how powerful is it? Regardless of power, who uses it? Rare and powerful people? Divine entities that don't share it with mortals? You the character (potentially)? What?

Or is this more historically inspired fiction with the fantasy label meaning nothing other than, "It's not real, but otherwise fairly down to earth" ?

>tactical turn based combat
>no one mentions Temple Of Elemental Evil
Fucking shitters. The hyped up mess that is DOS doesn't even come close to this when it comes to having an actually good combat system and encounter design.

The character creation of PoE might seem overwhelming but what you pick don't matter much unless you're playing on Potd maybe

High Level Shilling going on with this thread. I'm not stupid enough to fall for it.

Neverwinter Nights is exactly what you want. Hundreds of modules to play with friends too.

Magic is rare and powerful. Towards the end game you will see rare and powerful magic. You will encounter fantasy creatures. Explaining in anymore detail would just spoil the endgame.

Your character cannot use magic; he.she cannot cast spells or preform rituals.

Most of the combat is going to be very realistic. The game explains that unless your highly specialized in combat, don't expect your character to be capable of taking out more than one opponent in the same encounter. Even if your opponents are just simple bandits.

Thank you, sounds even more interesting now.

I was thinking rather actual turn-based combat, Fallout-style. What I liked about D:OS is environmental interactions, for example. We tried playing NW2 but it's not really the same, mostly due to the boring combat mechanics.

>no Might and Magic
>Avadon the same as Avernum and Geneforge
>no Exile
Dropped

You're objectively wrong. Every fix can be done with a few simple mids and the new companions are all shit.

>Age of Dacadence sounds interesting, in that they push it as more about surviving other Humans and making a name for yourself.
It's really big on the "make a name for yourself" part.

>No elves or dwarves or kobolds or such
No.

>but is there magic?
Yes but it's not really magic, it's actually advanced technology indistinguishable from magic at the first galnce

>Do other people use magic?
No, not really.

>How rare is it?
Very.

>How powerful?
Very.

>So where are we on the magic scale here?
You can't cast spells in combat or anything like that, only find and interact with powerful artifacts, some of which are weapons.

Overall magic is very rare, you can play the whole game without even knowing it exists.

>If there is magic, how powerful is it?
Interacting with old world artifacts can give you very powerful rewards, like perma stat increases, powerful weapons or tactical nukes and ascending into Godhood

> Regardless of power, who uses it?
No one really. Most people don't believe magic even exists.

>Rare and powerful people?
Kinda.

>Rare and powerful people?
Kinda.

>You the character (potentially)?
Yes.

>Or is this more historically inspired fiction with the fantasy label meaning nothing other than, "It's not real, but otherwise fairly down to earth" ?
No, there really is magic and fantasy elements in the game, but they are rare and hidden. As I said, you can playthe whole game without even knowing there is magic or any fantasy elements.

Enhanced is dogshit, since it doesn't support Tactics, i.e. the only reason to play BG2 in the first place.

Ignore him. Pirate 1 and 2 then install one of the mods that combines them into one game, the unfinished business mods and widescreen mod. Then you'll have everything good that enhanced does with none of the trash.

I'm sure they will find ways to delay it yet again.

There is nothing wrong with delaying games though.

You want to play a rushed game, play Gothic 3 unpatched and tell us how it goes.

got like 40 hours on poe but I'd really wanna play the white march before I go on

thing is I can't really seem to find it for a good price

Divinity is great but not its story, so it depends on what you find important in an rpg.

I would recommend BG and BG2, but you don't need the enhanced edition. All it adds is some crap new party members.

Never played Might & Magic.

As for Avadon, I like the series, but outside of writing quality there is very little difference in how it's presented and played versus the other two mentioned. The real difference is the quality difference.

No, the systems are not identical, though I didn't suggest that, only that there is a very similar presentation, indeed, just on a glance, most people won't see the differences until they get in depth.

see

NWN(1) is the pinnacle of multiplayer RPGs. You're SOL for good turn-based ones.

Go play them. The HoMM general on /vr/ has links for MM1-8

Same here, that's why I was looking for something else that would give me more value for money.
D:OS is pretty fun so far, only an hour into it.
Tbh I prefer the real-time combat of PoE to turn based, but maybe it'll pick up the pace later

D:OS has a very slow beginning so it will.

Age of Decadence is a pile of pretencious turd.

How is it pretencious?

Pretty sure it already does, I've played BG1EE with Sword Coast Stratagems.

Why is it that people who liked PoE didn't live OS and vice versa?

Been a huge fan of crpgs for a long time now and I love both, though they are both wildly different games that simply share a genre.

Bah, stupid white knight tripe-
>option 17

>Why is it that people who liked PoE didn't live OS and vice versa?
>they are both wildly different games
You answered your question yourself.

\
I can not even fathom your reasoning, as neither PoE or D:OS are graphically outstanding.
Do you presume that stories are more poorly written if they're older than you are?

They are polar opposites when it comes to their strengths and weaknesses.

PoE has better writing, characters, story, and pacing.

OS has better gameplay mechanics that play into world exploration and combat strategies.

They're both good. Comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges, really.

> "do it again and I'll bleed you ot"
> white knight
are you daft?

Dragon Age Origins if you want a generic but fun story to play through with a bunch of characters.

Icewind Dale if you loved the combat of PoE and want nothing but that combat.

Baldur's Gate 2 is good as well. But, even though it pains me to say it, you can skip the first Baldur's Gate.

Elder Scrolls cRPG when

Never. Kikes hate safe investments.

About 20 years ago

go play Morrowind or even Oblivion faggot.

I guess it's time. Just need to finish Shadowrun trilogy first.

It starts out slow, don't be discouraged.
When you face acid mutants you can craft a leather coat from their dogs which will make things much easier.

>you can craft a leather coat from their dogs which will make things much easier.
Or you can go to the siphoner pools, get a siphoner skin and make things much easier from the very beginning.

So it's the same game since companions, old or new, can be ignore, recruit or kill.

interfaces and controls, you pretentious fuck

Has anyone played Serpent in the Staglands? I know the combat is wonky and the story isn't the strongest but it seems solid. And what attracts me to it the most is how non handholding it seems. The lack of journal, the puzzles in it, the way the magic system works. It makes me think of a more grim dark Ultima 7 with a less tacky world and plot.

Which to me is something I'd really enjoy. But I haven't had the time to get past the first 2 hours of the game.

PoE plays exactly as clunky as any other old crpg. Grow up and learn that old doesn't mean outdated.

not really
to even know what a spell does you have to open a completely different menu in BG
to scroll through spells you have to click a fucking arrow to manually scroll instead of having them properly organized like in PoE

It has an interesting world and story and the music is nice. The only thing it's lacking is decent combat, but you that's not it's focus anyways.
It's worth playing through at least once.

Are you serious? That's your problem?

Character pathing.... seriously. The old infinity engine games did this horribly. Everytime you move your character it's like watching stop motion animation, and in battles getting your characters in the correct positions was almost impossible by today's standard.

This alone ruins the old crgs for me

The man wants to play the game, not rummage through years of menu screens

I'm not even that guy, I was just pointing out that you're retarded if you seriously believe what you said.

>D:OS ( meh to average world story and characters)
Garbage to cancer I would say

Please let it be good Cred Forums. I just want to overthrow the empire in a coup d'état.

I miss nonlinear and unguided RPGs. All these new RPGs are based off the IE games which were more cinematic and guided and story focused. Sometimes I just want to get lost in a game.

Better gameplay than Dragonfall, slightly worse story. Nice characters though.