Hey you, yes YOU. What's your personal honest opinion about AVGN?

Hey you, yes YOU. What's your personal honest opinion about AVGN?

AVGN as a character is alright when he was reviewing old games.
James Rolfe though is so out of the loop when it comes to what he knows about the current video game industry.

When he talks as himself there's such an obvious gap from when he was very into gaming as a whole and when he stopped caring.

i think he's a cuck__

OH BOY I LOVE TALKING ABOUT E-CELEBS

This one reviews games
No different about other game review threads.

Not our fault people divert threads into le epic maymays fuck shit cuck ass diarrhea!

MINEYCRAFTA

I watch his videos sometimes when I'm bored, his old reviews are pretty funny

IT'S ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

nah just kidding, i like it

AVGN is at its best when James digs into his old gaming history knowledge and puts it in context of his childhood and the era it was in. Videos like Pong Consoles. Game Glitches and NES Accessories are gold. It's during this time that he speaks with the most passion, and he's talking genuinely, beyond the character he's portraying. It's informative and often very funny.

The weaker moments are when he starts digging into his shoddy special effects library and other gimmicks. Sometimes it's just fucking cringy.

On the whole, I enjoy it, but his most recent episodes feel a bit different. Tiger Electronics was pretty good though.

His older videos were great. His newer videos are okay but it's obvious that he has very little knowledge of games that aren't games he played when he was a kid

>Game Glitches

Still one of my favorite youtube channels.
It's not as good as it used to be, but he more than makes up for it with the rest of his content.
This is just about AVGN, so I'll end by saying I still don't miss an episode and it's among my priorities when I see it pop un on my subscriptions.

I never watched his show until this year because I found him to be crass and cringy in a public access cable kind of way

but Patton the goblin bastard Oswald turned me on to him and he's not half bad. I ignore the childish poo humor because I see it for what it is: a character that's stuck being a 10 year old. I accept some kids acted this way (I sort of did, only I said 'cunt' and 'shit' instead of 'ass' and 'doodie')

> not appreciating actual vhs footage of someone beating a glitched out mega man boss

epic trashman bro

Anyone have that picture of him saying 'this is work. This is play'?

You're so cool and hip user. Not posting revealing your insecurities and fragile ego of your superior opinion at all. I hope one day I can be as cool as you.

His rage feels forced now whereas it felt more natural in his past reviews. Just watch the superman64 and batman vids and compare them to his recent stuff.

i enjoy falling asleep to Board James playlists

I think he can still be good at times, although like a lot of people I'd agree that his videos aren't as good as they used to be. Often I find his non-AVGN videos are better than his newer AVGN stuff, especially his movie reviews (I look forward to Monster Madness every year, and I'm pretty bummed that this one is going to be the last, but 10 years is a pretty good run). The Dream Phone short from Board James was great and I'd like to see him do more of sort of thing as well.

I feel like a lot of his early success can be attributed to being at the right place at the right time. I wouldn't say he was the first angry video game reviewer, but I can't think of a whole lot before him. Maybe someone like Seanbaby, but even then he didn't focus on video games. But also starting up his AVGN character during the early days of YouTube I think helped give him a lot of exposure. Sort of like being part of a new generation of online personalities through YT that caught fire and spread to a lot of people. Along with that, I think a lot of the appeal of early AVGN is that it was something a lot of people could relate to by reliving some of the frustrating games they played as a kid and making fun of them. It's a touch that I sort of feel like is lost with his newer videos.

His humor wouldn't have appealed to me even as a young teenager but I like watching and hearing about older and more obscure games.

I'm sick of seeing his damn face. Especially on Cred Forums.

well that was unexpected

Shittier JonTron/GameGrump

thank you. Maybe some day you will be.

Cheers.