Revive a franchise Cred Forums

You get a chance to revive a dead franchise of your choice with a reboot.

Only rule is that the franchise cant have released an official game for at least nine years (spin-offs not counting). We can be lenient on this rule

The game will have a crack team of developers behind it. Amazing graphics and sound is guaranteed. You'll have some of the best programmers, artists, game designers, etc working on the game and you have a pretty big budget.

However, this is a big investment for the producers so they expect a sizable income. You better have some mass market appeal.

How do you make a reboot that's faithful to the original games, while still appealing to the general audience?

mercenaries

For me it would maybe be Dead Space. What would you even do with a new Dead Space? 1 & 2 were both fantastic games but what do you even do with it now?

In my opinion Doom was one of the truest reboots you can have in this day in age. Taking the essence of what Doom is an revitalizing it for a modern era. What is Doom? It was murdering hordes of demons at a fast pace with neat, powerful weapons and an, and I don't use this term with disrespect, "edgy" sort of vibe for a series that was a groundbreaking sort of game for that specific word.

How can you take that to one of the premiere horror action games of the past generation and make it fresh again. Should it even be dug up again? I don't personally think so but I want to play more of it.

Suikoden pretty please.

Suikoden V was supposed to be the revival this series needed. It was actually bretty gud. If some nostalgiafag devs would bring the series back from the dead with the epicness of 1 and 2, that'd make my gaming year.

even the first one came out in 2008

kys

Castlevania

real answer

chrono trigger

Jet Set Radio. This thread is over.

MGS.

It's been dead for over 9 years now.

Well it's only been eight years, but I'd want God Hand 2. The first one still beats most most modern action games, and is one of the GOATs.

Regarding marketing, I'd just tell them to make it just as sexist as first one was and then market it on the violence and the outrage that comes from spanking the women.

I don't care. The original poster mentioned a lot of rules, that being one of them.

I don't care. Dead Space feels like a franchise that EA got enough money out of where they seem to have made enough money on to both stay relevant by making a new one and also still be relevant enough for people to still remember and entertain a sequel.

The time allotment seems like the most arbitrary part of the original post and I'm going to treat it like that.

Ape Escape hasn't had a mainline game for years, so maybe a reboot could help revivie.

Blood (FPS series).
Still make it a proper FPS without locked arenas and with saving at any time. Add enough good/original stuff to make it more interesting.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2

Well, I think the OP's pic is cheating since it's not really a reboot as it references existing games in the franchise.

Still if we're sticking STRICTLY to the reboot idea and not a continuation of the series (which would be ny preference,) I still think a Legacy of Kain reboot could be really good. Blood Omen, as great as it is, makes a difficult point of entry for the series, especially today.

Remaking the game with a good combat system, more uses for transformations (for example during combat,) interesting puzzles and a massive, open world to explore I think could be amazing. While I'm a bit tired of the Open World meme, it would be entirely in keeping with the original series.

It would also be unique since there really aren't many games that embrace Vampires as dark, destructive and powerful. Normally there is some great detriment to being a Vampire, physically. I think the "gothic" setting has been left behind in vidya and there's a decent-sized audience who would greatly enjoy a return to that aesthetic.

Bring back Simon Templeman and Amy Hennig and as many of the original VAs as you can, setup the sequels appropriately and maybe condense those down a bit so it's not a five game venture.

Thief.

The REAL Thief

THEN DON' T POST YOU STUPID CUNT

For the record, Doom never died.

Halo. It's been 9 years since Halo 3 now.

Star Wars Battlefront

Easy, Heretic

Wing Commander: Privateer was one of my childhood favorites. None of the modern space fliers quiet captured the fun it had. The X series feels more like an economy simulator with space flight bolted on. Star Point Gemini 2 has fun combat, but trading isn't very fun. There were a few others I tried but nothing quite captured the magic.

On an offhand note, the 90's felt like it had more unique one-offs than series. If a game was good, it got an expansion pack. If it was really something special it got a sequel.

What would you do with Dead Space user?

Panzer Dragoon

Nah, you're the cunt. OP even states that's the most lenient rule of the lot. DS2 was in 2011 and arguably DS3 a lot of people would not consider a proper sequel.

This topic is obviously for fun so quit gobbling cocks and post ideas of your own.

Age of empires.

Beyond Good & Evil.

Bang.

Done.

Took me three seconds to decide.

Pic related should receive the same treatment as the new Wolfenstein and Doom. Although I don't know how WB would fuck it up.

Anachronox

Skip Tom Hall's trilogy plans and just bang the story out in a single shot.

I'd like this. I think a game like God Hand could do well today.

Midnight Club

FUCKING COMMAND AND FUCKING CONQUER
EVERYONE ELSE CAN GET FUCKED BY A BULLET TRAIN

The head of GSC doesn't want another quagmire of development like they had for SOC, but if they just remade it with some new locations and upgrades it would be amazing.

Last Ninja II

Ricochet GOTYAY