Linux Gamer Thread

>hear about some new shootan on Steam called Paladins that's just like Overwatch
>check it out
>no Linux version

Any other Linux gamers here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O20sG0juaCc
jolla.com/jolla/
code.visualstudio.com/
wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Builder
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I dual boot but I'm slowly migrating back to consoles because I'm so sick of Windows.

It's not so bad. I'd rather play my games in 720p forever than run a Spyware OS.

I mostly play paradox gsg's and emulation

I almost done with zelda the minish cap playing it on a gba emulator.

Reporting in. I play any decent GOG ports that people bother to torrent or some Foss stuff like Wesnoth
Also been playing Dorf recently.
Wine is actually way better than I thought, need to get into that more.

I would pay for a Lanox game but no game has ever been good enough to throw money on.

I tried to keep gaming on my machine after migrating to linux but the performance is simply worse in most games compared to windows.
Still not going back to windows because fuck that noise. The manage to keep getting worse with every new release.
I had some hopes after windows 7 because it was somewhat decent, but they really dropped the ball with 8 completely.

only way i'd do it is if i used gpu passthrough and played on a windows vm. but it seems really complicated to set up so i just keep a linux vm on windows to run whatever scripts i need and when i really really need processing power to run a specific program/script on linux, i reboot the machine to use it

Give actual examples you faggot nogger.

Both Crusader Kings 2 and SWTOR:2 run worse on Linux compared to Windows on the same PC.

What GPU/CPUare you using? And did the GPU have official drivers installed in Linux? It makes a huge difference. I'm surprised they ran worse, they are both old games and not really hugely demanding. Something is wrong with that picture.

you linux guys got freeciv and tux racer. i dont see what the problem is...

Every Feral game, every VP/eOn game, all Valve games except L4D2 and Dota 2, every Unity game, etc. It's rare that a game performs as well on Linux as it does on Windows.

I used Linux for a year before going back to Windows 8.1. Now I'm on Windows 10 and have zero regrets.

There is no reason to use Linux as a personal desktop OS, and in MOST cases not even a work OS.

This. Windows is better for games, and both Windows and OS X are better for development.

same here

linux is great for development tho

Does Linux natively support Adobe products? If not there's a lot of artistic work that it isn't good for when it comes to development.

Unreal/Unity3d/etc are still in beta for linux though

Almost everything Linux has, OS X and Windows also have. The only thing I really miss from Linux is valgrind. Everything else is either available through cygwin (Windows), natively (all OS X, Windows 10's Linux/Ubuntu subsystem), or Microsoft/Apple have better tools anyway.

Don't worry my dudes, next year will be the year of the penguin.

>Windows is better for games
If you're on a version of Windows that still gets support perhaps, but Microsoft's decision to abandon support for the latest hardware and APIs on everything but 10 has resigned the best version of Windows to being a legacy platform.

Long term, Linux is the better choice for a PC gaming platform and any performance issues with ports will be temporary as Vulkan replaces OpenGL and DirectX.

You people are starting to sound like the ludites who kept using XP and complained when new features weren't backported. Ditch the tinfoil hat and upgrade already.

Art != Development

Even so Adobe isn't the only source for artistic software, Blender is increasingly popular for creation of game assets and its Linux native. When you don't have to pay for the Adobe licenses that can actually decrease the cost of creating a game fairly substantially depending on how many artists you employ.

The quote heard every year.

>Install this malware, its ok to give a console company total control of your PC!

No thanks, I'm already on Linux 100%

Blender has nothing on Cinema 4D, let alone Autodesk's industry standard tools. Only indie developers making glorified programmer art use Blender.

Hope you aren't also using an Intel processor newer than the Core 2 Duo line.

There are things you can do to mitigate hardware backdoors which are only really good when somebody has physical access to the system. However when your kernel has a backdoor there is basically nothing you can do about it.

My concern has never been what Microsoft or law enforcement will do with the malware that they've built into the OS, but now that its there your system is far more vulnerable to man in the middle attacks or having someone discover the magic key that allows someone to unlock your system remotely.

I really get people who hate Windows because of spyware shit, but how the fuck do you live without using anything Google related?

I don't watch Youtube, I run my own mailserver, I don't use "web apps", I don't have a smart phone, I don't use Chrome, etc. The only thing Google I interact with regularly is the Captcha for posting on this site.

> Only indie developers making glorified programmer art use Blender.
youtube.com/watch?v=O20sG0juaCc

Couldn't you get a linux OS phone or something at least?

I wanted to when Nokia was still making one, but that's not really an option anymore. All that's left is Tizen and that neo900 project.

Its much easier to limit the amount of information that google has about you when its a secondary device than it is to limit your use of a primary computer.

The only safe way to use Windows 10 is to ensure that it doesn't have direct access to network hardware and reduce it to a secondary device. Using it virtualized on top of Linux actually works well for securing it and controlling its access to personal information that could leak to third parties.

You could get an Android phone, root it and remove all google-related things too you know. It's very simple to do and would work with most phones. In fact if you're into programming you could even make your own custom Android-based OS.

That's some real amateurish looking stuff.

The N900 was a godly device and I will never forgive Microsoft for killing it off to try to force their inferior Windows Phone crap on Nokia.

jolla.com/jolla/
is its primary descendant but it can be somewhat difficult to get a phone outside of Europe. Its been ported to a number of other phones though if you really want to use it. Kind of the same deal as Ubuntu's phones right now.

Are there any *BSD exclusive games? lol

There aren't even any Linux exclusive games.

>mfw BDSfags will NEVER EVER play Tux Racer

Do PS4 games count?

There have been a few, but they tend to be rare because Linux games are built on top of standards which makes them extremely easy to get running on other software platforms. Something that can't be said about Windows where the DirectX API is designed to make it nigh impossible to support other platforms often including older versions of Windows itself.

They can always play the arcade version.

>Art != Development

So all the games you play are text based?

There's a difference between software development, and creation of art assets.

Plus as I've said you don't need Adobe software to do it. There are a number of movies and games that have been made without the use of Adobe products because its more cost effective to do without.

If you pay close attention in the making of segments of Pixar films for instance you can see that they're almost exclusively running Linux OSes, and if an Adobe product is being used its usually running in Wine or virtualized.

I only care about retro games and the occasional WINE'd Steam game, feels good to be free, my niggas.

All you need vidya-wise is Mame and Mednafen and you're set for life.

Currently livebooting from a usb while I wait for my replacement hard drive. Cant fucking play anything I want. Telltale Batman has no linux support, Cant find a Shovel Knight torrent that includes the dlc and Im not buying it again. Im grateful that Im still able to do work on my PC because of Linux, but gaming on this shit is suffering.

(You): reddit(dot)(kawm)r/linux/comments(/)4aauib
/lets_talk_about_the_free_software_dating_scene/

I'm in the same mindset and position as that user, but I have a fiancee who is a medical student. I get the it's a meme, but why do people think that not using the most poplar things means you're an autistic virgin with no friends?

Spotted the pedo

Oh, I have a phone but it's all custom rooted and custom OS etc. Other than that I avoid Google

Does Mednafen's Saturn emu work well in Linux? I just want to play my Clockwork Knight

>but why do people think that not using the most poplar things means you're an autistic virgin with no friends?

Because it's probably true if you spout the nobility of FOSS to them daily when half of them don't give a shit and use Google without knowing "DA EVILZZZZZZZZZZZZZ EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ" of the product(s).

>Supporting something means you must breathe it, you talk about it all the time, and you're incapable of functioning without trying to convince people about the benefits of it.

I mean, your meme arrows is pretty rife in the FOSS community, dude.

Haven't tried it, heard it's still not as good as SSF, unfortunately.

Welcome to Cred Forums, where any poster can use meme arrows and using them doesn't indicate your support of a particular license type, game system, music choice, or favorite food.

>Cant find a Shovel Knight torrent that includes the dlc and Im not buying it again

Why would you need to buy it again, you should only have to buy it once and then it will be available for every supported platform.

Just use wine or run a windows vm with either xen or vmware, mate.

Better yet, with a little technical know-how, op could set up KVM+ qemu and get virtual windows with very near native performance

A few years ago it was basically necessary for everything, but now there are so many native games I haven't been using wine much. I think in another year or two Wine is going to be kind of like DOSbox and a lot of games are going to get wrapped and released.

Especially if Vulkan support comes through and somebody takes Gallium Nine and ports it to work on Vulkan instead. It should be possible since Vulkan is lower level than Gallium.

I never heard of that, is it equivalent to setting up xen with GPU passthrough or another beast entirely?

>I'm slowly migrating back to consoles because I'm so sick of Windows

Oh, and I suppose PC/Windows consistently getting the short end of the stick in games isn't that big of a deal breaker? PC being completely devoid of all the good games like Yakuza 6 or Ace Combat 7 or Nioh wasn't a reason to own consoles before?

The games a play regularly anymore all work natively on Linux, so I have very little experience with it. But yeah, it's basically GPU pass through

Well thats certainly not true of console/handheld versions but might be true for pc platforms. Not sure myself.

What the fuck is the point of being a Linux gamer? If you really want to use Linux that bad, you can just run Windows in a second partition.

>Comes into a thread about Linux gaming
>Despite not gaming on Linux
Linux gets more game support each passing week. More games through platforms like steam are added and the more people use Linux as their OS of choice the more support games on Linux will get. Not to mention other non-gaming software being ported. It's a win for everyone

That requires you to buy and maintain a Windows install, something that takes time and effort that is for the most part now totally unnecessary.

Besides, relying on Windows itself is not a good long term solution now that Microsoft has stepped up the time table in moving desktop Windows to being a legacy platform with the end of support on new hardware coming next year instead of at the EOL date in 2020.

We're not that far off from running Windows requiring old hardware similar to buidling a retro gaming machine with a Voodoo card for playing old Glide games properly.

There's still always going to be less variety on Linux than on Windows, and Linux has literally zero exclusives, so what's the point?

Choice, user. The point is to choose for ourselves what we want to play on. More variety on more systems only hurts one person: the one with the most to lose.

>no visual studio for linux

>What is mono develop

>There's still always going to be less variety on Linux than on Windows
At one point the same could have been said about a number of other platforms vs Windows. Windows has had a good long run, but its clear that the market is shifting and Microsoft is following. The writing is on the wall that desktop PCs are going to be a niche platform used only by enthusiasts and developers and that isn't a market that Microsoft is very interested in. Thus their efforts to co-opt PC gaming into console gaming with UWP.

>Linux has literally zero exclusives
You say that like its a bad thing. GNU/Linux adheres to standards for software that make it incredibly easy to take a game made for GNU/Linux and bring it to any other platform. That Windows uses proprietary APIs whose only purpose is locking developers into Microsoft's console-centric ecosystem should not be seen as a point in its favor. Every game made with DirectX first is a game that will be very difficult to bring to any other platform and thus be difficult to preserve long term.

Actually there is this: code.visualstudio.com/

But I'm much more impressed by Gnome Builder: wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Builder

>not using qt creator
You had one job.

but is it compatible with actual vs solutions?

I'm lmao'ing at your lives right now.

>A new ide
Neat.jpg. I'll have to look into that later this week. Thanks user

>Linux Gamer

nice oxymoron there fampam

kys frogposter

I've been using only Linux for years, and I do professional artwork on it. I emulate all Windows programs I need with Wine and many work just as well.

>there are people in this thread right now who don't have a linux machine for work/general use
and a gaming rig with windows 10 exclusively for gaming

What the fuck do you guys even spend your money on?

>and a gaming rig with windows 10
Not today, Bill

The Windows machine is not requried, and if you want Windows 10 you're probably better off using passthrough with a vm anyway.

Right now I'm thinking about a GPU upgrade. The 480 has 8GB RAM and is the latest generation of GCN which is already supported by AMDGPU and Mesa RadeonSI, and the new RadV Vulkan driver, but the Fury is only a little bit more and the driver support is slightly more mature with the only down side being its more limited amount of RAM which wouldn't really matter much except that I have a 2160p display.

>Falling for the W10 meme
Nothing of value is provided, and things of value are removed. I'll stick with Windows 7 and Linux until my current job is done, then I'll full time Linux

What kind of shitty job forces you to be using Windows?

>ctrl+f interject
>0 results

>Spend thousands of dollars on PC hardware and games
>Never satisfied with my experience because of constant optimization issues
I think I'm about done with PC gaming.

I work from home and all of the development/servers/reporting is done though things like SSRS and other windows specific things. It's a small company, only 7 people on my entire development team and maybe 50 in the entire business.

not that user, but I have a Q6600 and hardly bottlenecks anything other than software compilation.

I don't and it's pointless. NSA could easily be tracking seamlessly through major ISPs without anyone knowing. there's no point in trying to hide unless you're a terrorist or some shit, and you're pretty much fucked if you use any modern technology in that case.

>Vulkan
>replacing OpenGL
nigga, have you ever looked at the official Vulkan documentation or tried to write a simple demo in it? it's ridiculously low-level, the documentation's incomplete, and it's far harder to use by non-veterans of graphics programming. OpenGL will stick around for decades.
source: started my project with Vulkan thinking it was a good idea. found out it wasn't.

>No point trying to hide unless you're a terrorist
If privacy is only for bad guys, what does that make the government?

don't know and I don't understand your analogy

Linux is good for work,emulators and some some games, but when it's comes right down to it, you're better off with Windows and modifying it for better performance.

The point is, privacy is essential to humanity. Infringing that in the name of 'muh terrorists' or 'da children' is short-sighted and harmful to humanity as a whole

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

I suppose so. I was only arguing from a technical standpoint, i.e. that trying to hide is ineffective.

Performance isn't the issue. The issue is that Intel CPUs since the Core 2 Duo line contain a remote management system known as AMT, which is basically a second OS with its own TCP/IP stack, some known vulnerabilities, and the ability to remotely control your computer to some extent. There is no way to disable it, and it is always running as long as your computer is plugged in (it does not actually need to be turned on).

Some people speculate there may be a backdoor in it, but no one besides Intel actually knows if there's anything malicious in it. Since Intel doesn't release the source code and there doesn't seem to be a practical way to dump the code on the CPU, there's no way to actually audit the code.

Sure. That being said, trying is better than just rolling over and accepting it. That's what I think anyways.

I've brought it up earlier in the thread, but I'm not concerned about the NSA shit, what worries me is the amount of data collection Windows 10 enables and what they means if you're faced with a man in the middle attack, or if some other malware manages to get access to your machine and if the developers of that manage to exploit Windows 10 specific data gathering APIs.

So, If I want to set up gpu passthrough for a Windows vm, I need to dedicate my gpu to the vm while I'm using it, right? So linux will not be able to utilize it.

I can't decide weather to put the effort into it, or just keep dual-booting.

you're an idiot for spending thousands of dollars on a PC

Not because it's a PC, but because you can get a very good build for about 800-1000

The only linux game worth playing is trolling easily triggered github projects.

Well if you have a motherboard with an integrated GPU you can use that for your Linux half, and then the dedicated one for windows, but yes you are correct

>tfw 95% of the games I play anymore are shmups in MAME
>works flawlessly on linux

don't Bash it til you try it