Why don't devs make whimsical, fun games anymore like during the PS2 gen, it's all just grimdark shooty shit

Why don't devs make whimsical, fun games anymore like during the PS2 gen, it's all just grimdark shooty shit.

Because the industry has "matured".

the fuck are you guys on about, the industry actually has really fucking moe-ified everything.
You should WANT more grimdark edge over your varied cast of different colored one dimensional tropes

I want to cum in dog

There are still games like that, you just need to look for them.

I agree that there should be more, though.

That's what it means to be polarized, It's not good either.

polarized in this situation wouldn't be good?

Platformers became less popular, consoles/companies don't really have mascots anymore except for Nintendo.

Everyone wants to use advanced game engines to add RPG elements to tetris and other games that don't need them.

Popularity of "movie-games" means every story has to be a half-assed hollywood attempt at a good story, meaning millions of dollars are spent on development meaning publishers are more sensitive to taking chances on different ideas.

Indie devs take chances but its almost always some dumb pixel game or roguelike/RPG/puzzle/platformer combination, and nobody wants that.

As if the PS2 wasn't the edgy console of it's gen, same with PS1

Mug nignog.
I've been playing Ape Escape 2 on PS4 and I feel like its the most pure FUN I be had with a game for years

/thread

Because when they actually do it, neo-Cred Forums calls it "autistic baby shit"

I used to say the same thing about the SNES instead of the PS2.

It's all part of growing up, kiddo.

>spats
Unf

Sony in particular has moved on to more mature, story-driven games especially after the success of things like Uncharted and The Last of Us. They won't ever touch Ape Escape again.

Too bad the ps4 ver is 50fps and doesn't have the voices the US ver did

>Katamari
>Sly
>Ape Escape
>the edgy console

Because japanese dont make video games anymore

It's a far cry for Sony when they first entered the market, they were the wild west with brand new game IP and introduction of 3D games. During PS1.

Sony have always targeted older gamers, I guess in that sense they are staying consistent.

>tfw had a PS2 for 2 years
>only got to play edgy games and okami
>never played the cartoony games like jak & daxter or ape escape
fuck my young self. I got a wii later and enjoyed a ton of platformers and other gamecube games, but I missed a lot
I'll try to find a cheap one

The PS2 was the mass-market "get as much shit as we can and appeal to everyone" console.

XBox was the "edgy" console in the sense that they wanted to push the boundaries of console gaming at the time, and their Microsoft-published games were usually trying to appeal to the "mature" crowd.

Who cares? Im playing it and having a blast for the first time

Yeah it's still a good game and the different voices I can honestly don't bother me (although i still prefer the American ver) but the missing frames which makes the movement look worse I just cannot wrap my head around and if I had a ps4 I wouldn't bother buying it as I still have my ps2 copy (although the upscale to 1080p does look nice,) But it does show sony does care enough about AE to at least release it in the first place so that's something, I hope AE3 is next.

"Grimdark shooty shit" literally defined that generation. EVERYTHING was as edgy as possible. It was the generation of Shadow the Hedgehog, Call of Duty 4, Devil May Cry, Dirge of Cerberus, Jak 2, Resident Evil 4, GTA, Prince of Persia Warrior Within etc. Everything had to be darker and edgier, and every new franchise that started out lighthearted had to go full edge with the sequel because people only bought grimdark games.

Clearly you were five years old at the time and unaware of the state of the industry other than the kids' games you played.

They still do, ots just that all the other types of games like shooters are more prevalent.

Try gravity rush on psvita. There is a remasterd version or either the ps3 or ps4. The sequel comes out in december I think. Not sure if its ps4 elclusive or jif its also on ps3.

Ape Escape 4 ever?

Are you forgetting this? Although, I agree. Fun shit is very few and far between now