This game is actually good. I don't give a fuck what anybody says...

This game is actually good. I don't give a fuck what anybody says. I'm glad I never fell for the "FF8 is the beginning where FF went to shit" meme. It's so fucking addicting and the music is top notch.

Good, it's my favorite in the series, glad you got taste

Blame this faggot for starting the FF 8 hate. Fucking worthless piece of shit

Agree, the level of comfy is unparalleled, the mix of fantasy and modern themes is a spot on, beautiful backgrounds which differs radically in style across the world which is big and full of secrets.
The fact I played it in 2013 and not felt the game is dated for a moment is a testament how hood it is.

drawing was a chore but I loved everything else related to the combat system

the magic junctioning for bonus specs

the card game

the near-complete customization options of all your characters

Music is great.

Drawing/Junction system is garbage, as is the level scaling.

Triple Triad is the best minigame in any FF game though.

And I agree

Why people didnt like level scaling tho?
I grinded to get all the spells and skills as fast as I could and with properly junctioned magic I never had an issue with it.
Regular enemies in fact where too easy for me so I really dont understand what people problem with it was.

The problem is it makes the game too easy.

In terms of Final Fantasy games, 8 is easily the easiest.

>Drawing/Junction system is garbage, as is the level scaling
I think I got through through my first playthrough by spamming gf summons and hated it because I was a moron. The second time I grinded random encounters that I could draw strength boosting magic then used the basic attack command for the rest of the game. The combat was basic but the encounters were over in a fraction of the time so I could enjoy the things FFVIII did well.

easy-ish until you encounter the weapons, or ultimecia's 9000 forms

Bought Brave Fencer Musashi just to play the demo to this game. Turns out Musashi was the better game through and through.

Nobody who was old enough to drive a car when this game came out likes it.

Music is good, sure. So what. 1 disk worth of story is good. So what. Everything from the junction bullshit, to weapons crafting is fucking rotten. Do you know how long it took me to properly time the crits for every character? Too fucking long.

1 redeeming quality- turbo GF. Makes those long ass summoning times feel okay.

In which case you can just use the items that make you literally invincible.

It's one of my favorite games, OP. I love everything about it. Squall can be unlikeable at first sure, but I think that's an indicator of how good the writing is.

You have top tier taste,

>Brave Fencer Musashi

My nigger. I think the love for this game definitely comes from nostalgia.

Technically enemy scaling means they are getting stronger with you so how is that makes the game easier.
The only thing that makes the game easier for me is the junctioning system.

I havent used my summons just because properly junctioned I could do far more damage with a blade and renzokuken or any limit break.
I havent used my magic trough the game because properly junctioned I got damage, resistance and stats far exceeding anything a magic usage could offer.
At the end of the game I tried to unjunction all magic and was instantly slayed by some common mob.

Its obvious that difficulty of the game relied on too many variables like your level, understanding of junction system and how much time you spend drawing rare stuff.
Because of that it wasnt really balanced and could easily be swung either end of the scale.
From frustratingly difficult to Okami tier easy, of course you could adjust the difficulty yourself by junctioning only as much as you want but then its the game that suppose to give you a challenge, not you yourself.

>but I think that's an indicator of how good the writing is

I passed it more than 10 times already...

Too good

>Technically enemy scaling means they are getting stronger with you so how is that makes the game easier.

Because they're tailored to not get too strong. Every enemy is within your limits. I did a playthrough where I didn't even bother stockpiling magic, and the game was still a cake walk.

What he's saying is that Squall grows as a character and you better understand him as the game progresses. You start out thinking he's an emo little shit but over time, you understand his point of view and he becomes more warm and caring by the end of the game.

>Every enemy is within your limits
Without junctioned magic they were all too strong and bosses were unbeatable.
That said I think I could have tried to beat the game without junctioning magic and just just it normally, playing tripple triad and turning cards into magic and stuff. I wonder how would it go.

It's personally my favorite, but I understand the flaws -- mostly the story toward the end and how easy the game can be if you understand the systems at all.

Still, best characters, best music, best setting, best combat, at least for me. It just feels good to play.

Of course, FFX is my second favorite so maybe I just have bad taste.

>Nobody who was old enough to drive a car when this game came out likes it.

I was 18 when it came out, and I like it. Nowhere near the best FF, but still a decent game.

Musashi is a better game though, I agree on that.

Headmaster Cid reminds me of Robin Williams for some reason...

Final Fantasy 8 is where the franchise decided "we want the cringey asperger audience." The characters were cringe, the plot was weak, the in-game card game was crap.

>i'm a master sniper, the best there ever was
>HURRR I'VE NEVER SNIPED ANYONE

One of the most pointless companions ever.

I hated FF8 long before I heard of him

>Why people didnt like level scaling tho?
my personal complaint is that the game doesn't warn you of the scaling

no one says FF8 is the beginning where FF went to shit OP, 9 was right after

the gameplay and story of 8 are god awful

>This game is actually good.
>I'm glad I never fell for the "FF8 is the beginning where FF went to shit" meme.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, fuckwit. It is where FF went to shit. It is a good game. It is also, by far, the worst in every single aspect except graphically in the FF series up to that point.

It started all the cringy trends that turned FF into shit. Non-sensical plots, sophomoric drama, and utterly shit writing, character development, and plot twists.

It is even responsible for what FF7 became.

On its own terms, yeah, it is a decent game. As an FF game it was the beginning of the end.

>It is even responsible for what FF7 became.

how was FF8 responsible for FF7?

good moooooornin' vietnaaaam.

probably my fav too

>FF8 is the beginning where FF went to shit
Who the fuck said that? All the FF games up until FFXIII were fantastic.

>I spent 40 hours drawing magic from weirdest monsters around.
>I'm too powerful, this system is broken.

To be honest I liked the fact that you can break the game, and still get your butt kicked fighting against something you first see.

>tfw no Garden management game where you recruit characters and send out SeeD teams on assignments, with the results possibly affecting the balance of power in the world and completely changing events later in the game

VIII, VII, and XII are my favorite FFs.

IX was pure shit though and X was only decent.
XI and XIV were actually pretty good for what they were.

XIII is the only other FF I flat out hate.

>not turning random encounters of and beating the game with level 16 squall

>as your instructor i request you beat this demon inside a cave as your first test.
>nvm were going to war lol.
>you're officially SeeD now.
>the plan is i am going to snipe the high official. nevermind im such a pussy.
>prep the school for combat were are fighting another school.
>holy shit bikes
cocaine is a hell of a drug

VIII is a great game with some fun systems. People forget that the Draw System is actually pretty similar to the Materia System in a lot of ways, it doesn't require any grinding whatsoever due to enemies leveling with you, has triple triad, and easy access to a lot of end game stuff right from the get go.

The only real problem with the game is the Squall/Rinoa stuff taking a turn very suddenly and without any real backing.

Its my favorite FF honestly outside of Crisis Core (which has its own flaws with Genesis not shutting up about his book).

Fun games all around.

Does it matter who's in your party due to the characters can all play the same because of Junction?

FF7, FF9, and FF10 are all better in almost every way.

And that's just comparing it to the 3d games.

>tfw there'll be soon a VR FF

It's super comfy and the music is probably the best in the series.
But that combat system is just broken.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that see's the resemblance.

Junction breaks the game to easily, if I wanted to just mindlessly mash X for every single battle I would play dynasty warriors

I started playing this over the summer after playing through VII earlier this year, and I really didn't like it at first.
The premise seemed like the typical anime battle highschool setting and the junction system pissed me off because it was too much micromanagement.

But I've come to like somethings like the Laguna sequences and while the junctions bother me the core battle system seems similar enough to VII's for me to appreciate.

Anyway I'm currently at the prison in disc 2, but I want to ask what the best way to get good with the battle system.
I usually just junction whatever gives me the highest stats for a certain category, but is there more I can do?

Also hod do I refine/craft weapons

>Also hod do I refine/craft weapons

you need to get the weapon magazines and then go to a weapon shop with the right materials and make the weapon

Only for limit breaks so in practice you'll have Squall because mandatory, Selphie for reels since 777 defeats everything even the end boss, and then a character you actually like

For weapons look up recipes online and what enemies drop those items or can be turned into those items with card refine, as long as you have the materials you can make the weapon and don't need the magazine

For battle never kill anything, turn all enemies to card and use card refine to turn them into items, then use item refine to turn those items it's spells and use magic refine to turn those into stronger spells
Grind for an afternoon and you've broken the game, turn enc none on which you get from diabolos and you never have to fight a random battle again unless you want to

But dont people like 10? Which final fantasys are shit?

I too thought this game was going to go in that direction. I was psyched that I got a salary based on seed rank. But yeah never happened

>People complaining about breaking the game

Why would you complain about that? That's fucking awesome. I love when you get rewarded for being good at a game

>and don't need the magazine

the fuck? Really?

>Music is good, sure. So what. 1 disk worth of story is good. So what. Everything from the junction bullshit, to weapons crafting is fucking rotten. Do you know how long it took me to properly time the crits for every character? Too fucking long.
Get good.

Anyone who wasn't retarded breezed through the game with all the best weapons and magic ultimately derived from card mod refinement.

It's hard to get weapons? You can literally get Lionheart on Disc 1 if you know enough about the game systems, (I did this on my 2nd playthrough as a kid).

I get a hearty fucking laugh everytime people complain about the Draw system, lmao, the idea of these fucking idiots actually sitting there and using draw for hours, truly delicious and just desserts.

Make your own god damn opinion user.

>ff8 remake never

I would love to see the world of 8 in a HD remake it was really beautiful

>turn all enemies to card
is this one of the GF skills I need to unlock?
I've been kinda ignoring those until recently

>This game is actually good.
Only if you're that one 16 year old kid.

One of my favorite game of all time. Finished it again a couple months ago, it's so ridiculously easy when you know how to junction properly though.

The ultimecia fight is such a fucking treat for me. That music, the ''she is compression time as we speak" when you analyse her

>Squall can be unlikeable at first sure, but I think that's an indicator of how good the writing is.
You do realize they heavily fucked up translating it from the Japanese, and the dialogue you read doesn't represent the actual story or contain the intended effect at all?

There's some really excellent mods for the PC version that improve the gfx.

I'd like to analyze Ultimecia, if you know what I mean.

FF8 really is fine as it is I honestly don't want any modern squeenix hand to touch it.

Ive only played parts of 7(got the farthest in this one), 10, and 12 im not invested in the series i was just curious sorry senpai

this

It's one of the first available ones from your first GF, Quezacotl. Don't ignore the GF abilities, they're some of the most important aspects of the game.

Welp thats embarrasing

yeah

but you need to weaken them or card will not work. Game doesn't tell you that unless you navigate a sea of menus where the first option is "tutorial"

reading comprehension, I'm saying 9 is great so it doesn't make sense that people say 8 is the start of the shit. 10 is great too

the truth is there is no start of FF being bad, 8 is just trash. 13 is trash too, people actually say 10 is the start of the shit but only 13 has been bad since 10 unless you want to be a fag and count 1.0 FF14

Is that why he's still generally the same in all later representations of him?

>people actually thought the junction system was too complicated
>people actually spent hours spamming draw
>people actually leveled to 100
>people didn't spend half their game playing Triple Triad
it tends to be absolute worst kind of casual that hates ff8

I loved it, the game was beautiful. My only real complaint is how easy it was, anyone with who spends 10 minutes fiddling with junction and the gf abilities becomes an unstoppable god almost right from the start of the game (I would kill Fasticolans for their AP and junction Water I make from their drops/cards, all before ever getting to the Fire Cavern).

alright thanks

To be fair, if it didn't work first try, you would either use it again or weaken the enemy, it's not like there's any other options you'd consider, so it's easy to figure out yourself.

>you need to get the weapon magazines
If you have the materials you don't need the magazine, that's how people get shit like Lionheart disc 1.

>tfw currently playing this at this very moment
>just got to the Garden Selphie is from

Oh fuck you. This feels like such an asspull for the sakes of just having a crazy twist. Fuck you game fuck you

Definitely the worst aspect of the story yeah. Only Squall his sister and Sefier should have been from Edea's orphanage.

Name one Final Fantasy game that has no asspulled story elements.

think it's determined by RNG and try again without hitting it?

I was really loving this game so far too. I actually got invested into this story and characters and that plot twist is so forced and stupid that it's making me lose total interest now. Fuck fuck fuck FUCK. I hate when shit like this happens

The point of the twist is not the twist itself and people need to stop getting their panties in a twist about it. It's there to show how everything is tied by fate. They don't even force or hover over it for that long.

Yeah I said that, and if you tried it twice or three times without success there's only really one other thing to try.

It is my second favorite after FFT.
But there are many flaws on the game.

One that bothers me a lot is the ammount of stuff that happens and how you can't get a clear grasp on time in the game.
At the beggining Squall goes on training at dawn and fights Seifer, gets a cool scar, is sent to the infermary, heals, goes to class, travels to the fire cavern and catches the pokémon Ifrit, goes back to class, is sent to war overseas, fights soldiers, a super robot and dragon thing, then goes back to schooll and graduates.
All of this shit takes place on the same day.

A friend tried to convince me once that since the game deals with Time Compression maybe it was done on purpose, but I still think that they just wanted to lump way too many things n the game and screwed up.

Still I like the game and the whole noise people make about the battle system is exagerated, it was not that bad, you had to be a huge nerd to actually get it, but it was not so bad.

>it's OK if it's shit it's still good

8fags, everyone

It's my favorite final fantasy, but this thread in a nutshell shall be pic related

>1 redeeming quality- turbo GF. Makes those long ass summoning times feel okay.
>abusing summoning

ayyyyyyyyyyy

It's definitely low tier as far as FF games go. It is however still pretty good. I really like that setting, and the art direction.

Also has a lot of comfy moments. People shit on how slow and boring disc 2 gets, but thats some of my favorite stuff.

10 is a fucking bore storywise.

I liked the mod where it's just Tidus laughing through the whole game...

...It made 10 more playable.

>10
>No asspull story elements

So we're just going to ignore the fact that Teedus being a dream isn't an asspull for the sake of having a twist?

I thought I hated 6 fags before but I don't know what it is about 10 fags they really are the worst.

Oh you're one of those "can't read" types. Fair enough.

I'm a ff4-7-8 fag. Played the first one on NES as a toddler. Although I never could get into ff9 at all.

Everything looks and plays really good, it's just ... I don't know ...

Tidus and Jecht being from the fake Zanarkand is one of the most important parts of the story and is how they're actually able to stop Sin. It's woven right into the crux of the story.

I'd say the problem was the fact that once people realize that you could abuse the fact that EVERY enemy including the final boss were scaled to your level meant that if you were good at abusing the GF abilities to make high level magic in the first disc, you could basically card everything and steamroll the game except Omega Weapon.

I steamrolled Omega without Lionheart at a really low level.

It's literally the primary plot point of the game, everything you see until that point drills the idea that dreaming people can summon things into the real world into the player.
Then the game tells them "The main character who couldn't possibly even be here if he was a human is actually a summoned thing" and millions of retards across the globe go "BA-HUH HE'S A DREAM?! THIS COMES TOTALLY OUT OF NOWHERE!"

Of course you can at a really low level, but you abused the Junction System didn't you? Also I think he's the only enemy in the game that's automatically capped at 99 if you haven't bothered capping your level.

I would argue the opposite. I like the junctioning, I like the refining systems, I like the gameplay, I like the way the farming works, and I like the triple triad side quests.

God damn I hate the story.

Are you me? Same exact taste. Never got to play the FF12 international zodiac version so I'm hoping that will be a lot better.

Well of course I abused the junction system where would the fun be otherwise.

Irvine couldn't take the shot because he recognized Edea as his fucking matron from the orphanage. Could you shoot the only mother you've ever known?

Did he miss the shot, Cred Forums?

>Last enjoyed game was 10
>Over a decade ago
>Actually being hyped
>Actually thinking SE can make a good game

He didn't, but he took so long so she could prep a shield to block it in the first place.

Impressive list, I think people will call you a contrarian or just tell you have normie taste but you know to rate games for their global experience, the sum of all components, and you also know how to take enjoyment from most of the little things. Many say FF are overrated games with only one or two being actually good games, you're on the opposite side of the spectrum. And I'm completely with you, although I would rate 4 a little higher.

Nope. If the bitch didn't catch the bullet, He would have killed her.

...Everyone's beef over Irvine being nervous is bullshit.

I love the concept of building your stats by doing things, but god damn what a terrible game 2 was.

it's better, but i don't think it's a stretch to say the improvements may not win you over by themselves

except the turbo button. the turbo button owns.

Thanks, user. That's the nicest thing someone said to me today..
What other vidyagames series do you like?

I like 2 because I love SaGa more than FF, but even I have to admit it's kind of shit

I hate level scaling because it completely inverts a fundamental property of ROGs; I feel WEAKER when I level up.

FFIX and FFX as good FF games? Are you high?

I agree IX is extremely overrated.

I genuinely think FFXII was the worst FF in the serie

Except 9 was shit.

>Propagating the lie that FF9 was good