Are you making progress on that game, Cred Forums?

Are you making progress on that game, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Screen_color_test_GameboyAdvance_32colors.png
ioribranford.itch.io/demonizer
youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y
a.pomf.cat/ursyab.webm
a.pomf.cat/ocfszc.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NOPE

I'm too busy playing games to make them

Has anyone modded Pac-Man DX yet

just the opposite for me.

in fact I only pay games if I think it'll spark ideas/inspiration for my current projects.

unfortunately i spend more time planning on designing then actually designing...

The former. I already had the latter in, which I did with globals and a hidden object that created/destroyed the NPCs at specific locations depending on what those globals said.
As for palette, I am using a pre-done palette which does kind of limit the colours I can use: upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Screen_color_test_GameboyAdvance_32colors.png

For slopes, here is what I am guessing. If you collide in the X or Y direction with a slope tile, you grab an m and b value from the tile, and based on your x relative to the slope-tile's x you calculate the y you "should" be at. The difference between the y you "should" be at vs your actual is added to your final vertical speed.

For the first frame you step off horizontal ground and onto slope ground, you teleport to the Y position same as ascending or desending grounds at slightly different Y values. Is this even close to right?

I'm making it on RPG Maker, and the gameplay and story are almost done. I'm making sprites right now but I can't decide which type of portrait would look better for the characters, either pixelated like the bottom portrait or thinner / sharper like the top one in pic related.

I can't into art so I need to use references almost all the time, I'm not entirely satisfied with the results but it still feels much better than using external resources

You have a general on /vg/ faggots.

Still following tutorials, learning how to get the basic shit I want set up.
Can only find tutorials on top-down tactical RPGs like FE and SRW though, so I'll likely have to trial and error my way into making a height system like FFTA's.

Gamemaker can do randomly generated dungeons right?

Finally fixed the fucking camera, now I can concentrate on implementing the tacticoooool bits I'm actually interested in.

Doing something I don't thin any games done before, but worried because obviously sometimes the path less travelled is less travelled for a reason.

On a complete side note, how long does it take to complete Spec Ops: The Line?

actually haven't even started

Why not? You can script that in.

Go on there right now and I'll see you in the oncology clinic tomorrow to make sure we get you the best palliative care we can for that widespread, highly aggressive cancer.

Excellent, so glad I got this off that humble bundle.

GMS looks pretty simplistic and retard-proof, but you can actually do pretty much anything with it. It's just all presented in a really user-friendly way.
I'm an engine snob and I just picked up GMS too and I've really been surprised by it, it's actually pretty powerful and respectable

What's the best way to stay motivated? I've haven't work on my project for months.

I'd tell you if I knew, user
I had no motivation when I was a neet and now I have even less motivation now that I'm working full time

get a teammate who lives near you irl to bitchslap and so he can bitchslap you.

The want to prove to your family you aren't a complete failure.

anyone know any good 3d modeling lessons or such? trying to make a player and learn to do some animations

definitely this.

Yes, but I'm having trouble determining if I've even come close to encountering something that's fun.

Make the game you yourself want to play. That's how it works.

>tfw you're too depressed to even want to play any kind of games
what now

i just can't sit down and learn c#

anyone have any good interactive tutorials? preferably something in modules or sections, with quizzes? something like codecademy?

then don't make any game then.
People play game to primarily enjoy themselves, not to give you money or share in your emo bullshit.

Go to work.With that money you earned, seek therapy before you shoot someone up.

gotta learn to code first

I'm depressed because of work though.

Quill18creates on youtube has really good tutorials. Most of them assume you have at least code knowledge, but they still walk you through everything so it shouldn't be too hard to follow.

He also has a recent beginner's guide to C# series, but I haven't looked at it and can't speak for whether or not it fits what you're looking for

Too bad, if you don't have therapy coverage, go to soundcloud and listen to some peaceful soundtrack.

Then man up and realize there are a million fuckers in worse shape than you but actually can man up and make the best of their situation.

Depression is self inflicted by loneliness and self pity. Slap yourself hard a few times before going out to hang around people if you still pitying yourself.

Just got Unity set up with 4 GB of free high rez textures and some models

Gonna make a VR walking game, then add mechanics later.

I don't pity myself though, I just hate my life.

If you have to ask this then you're not capable of making a thing that makes randomly generated dungeons.

motivation? fuck that. Work on being determined, set up a consistent schedule to work and STICK WITH IT. Make it a regular thing, and you'll settle into the process. Doesn't even have to be a lot, start with 30 seconds of work time once every week if you have to.

Everyone has the same 24 hours every day, it's up to you what you choose to do with it, whether you're "motivated" or not.

How do I make sure my game just isn't another title on greenlight and sell only 1000 copies?

and don't just say make it good

these threads are the biggest motivation i have but it's also discouraging that i know how to do nothing

>man up and realize there are a million fuckers in worse shape than you

Not that user, but just because someone somewhere in the world is in worse shape than you doesn't mean you have to devaluate your own situation. Suffering is suffering, no matter how mundane the reasons might be, and instead of taking solace on other people's worse situations, you should work towards fixing your own problems. Maybe he's been frustrated for a long time, maybe his body is simply not very tolerant to stress, which are good reasons to feel bad. Depression can be justifiable depending on the person and the kind of life that person has lived.

Make it great.

Instead of trying to appeal to widest audience try to appeal to a niche or build on already existing titles, if you look on steam you'll find a bunch of DK2 adaptions that are doing fairly well for example.

Either that or invent something entirely new.

make it good
then play it til you hate it
and fix what you hate and make it great

Well yeah, but I'm doing something and I don't yet think I have that "I want to play this" vibe yet, just a basic idea of what I'm going for. Waiting for the spark to hit, I'm still early on so no worries here.

>perfected arbitrary slope movement today
Feels good, man.

Well, I've been doing that Unity tutorial so I can learn how to make games.

I made my first cheap walk cycle.
Seems okay for a non-artist?

Some, just hope I don't die before I finish it.

what do you guys do for models? what program do you use? is blender worth learning or is there a better program to use with unity?

in theory, if i download a copy of 3ds max, make everyting there

then open the file on unity, copy everything. create a new file and then past it in the new file

would people be able to trace it back to 3ds max?

>unity
fuck
i meant blender

might keep some meta data

There's an Unite lecture from I think 2015 where they take the end product of that tutorial and convert it into an online multiplayer game.

Might be a bit much if you're just a beginner but anyway. Its interesting shit.

Pretty good

even if i create a new file from zero?

Prototype for the Sunday night crowd:
ioribranford.itch.io/demonizer

The aesthetic is very nice, although I'm sure you're using some public domain art for the background there.

>there will NEVER be an IDE with the GUI, organization, and room editor of GameMaker combined with the freedom to actually use a proper programming language and create your own objects
Feels bad, man. GameMaker is nice but it's a struggle against GML sometimes. And if you're not struggling, that means you're probably not keeping yourself honest and caving in to bad GML practices.

>Unity

I got it working fine on Android.
We just need to fix the scoring system and make everything pretty and we should be good for commercial success. It has a mass appeal and curiosity factor it just needs to be widespread enough to catch on.

With ads I should make a decent amount.

I'm doing a university unit on game design as part of my CS degree and holy shit it's so fun. I'm having trouble allocating time in my other units

What's the best program to make 2d art/pixel art?

Illustrator doesn't seem to be working but idk

How do I art, Cred Forums?

Illustrator is for vector art and conventional 2d work.
Get yourself some photoshop or something specialized for sprites like graphicsgale.

With enough setup you can make pixelart in most drawing softwares, so you can choose whatever you like. Photoshop is recommended most of the time since it can do pretty much everything. Aseprite is also another really interesting piece of software that you should give it a look, it comes with some really handy tools

If you have a modern PC, use photoshop.
If toaster, then aseprite or graphicsgale is better because they don't lag in your setup.

I'm going to try all 3 of these but Photoshop might be my best bet since I actually have a good PC.

How should I set up locomotion for Vive VR?

I had the idea of the trackpad being the movement with the camera forward facing being the forward movement, so you can move in all 4 directions and also rotate manually. Maybe squeezing would let you rotate by moving the controller left and right.

I suppose I also need teleporting too for motion sick people

>Dont have motivation to make myself determined

>falling for the VR meme

Photoshop went subscription though like autodesk

Good thing none of us game devs pirate.

I made this game in a couple hours using pictures on my desktop

pooh's_home_run_derby.png

If you are aiming for room vr I would avoid any movement with the trackpad that wasn't dashing (teleporting/blinking is shit).

Not just for the sake of motion sickness, but also that the whole point of roomscale is to move yourself around.

You make your own success. When i didnt have a studio i bult one in the basement. Is it the best acoustically obviously not but does it more than suffice yes. Everybody has depression but youll only be succesful in life if you find out how to manage it and overcome it. The more you do it the less depressed and more confident youll become

Being able to move over a larger world is important. There's plenty of things you can do with with roomscale while having the ability to move. You should be limited by some idea you need to fit a hame in a 15x15 box

I haven't played this many games in god knows how long. It's physically exhausting and I wish I had a better graphics card since super sampling increases sharpness by amazing amounts, but even still it's a ton of fun.

>acoustically
?

> depressed about work

Try working manual labor in craw spaces, taking classes, girlfriend, and working on a 10hr + rpg not done in gamemaker set to be released in march

I keep thinking about starting but decide to play a game or masturbate instead.

I work manual labor, go to college and make video games
enjoy your gf you fucking normalfag

Such is life.

Honestly I'd much rather do manual labor than have to deal with HR and passive-aggresive bitches all day, unfortunately I can't afford to quit job so I'm stuck here until I can find new job that isn't on the other side of country.

>tfw making game
>can't play other games without thinking "damn i could be working on my game instead"
>quit playing game and open my game project
>can't find motivation to do anything so just shut it down and browse Cred Forums again
It sucks tbqh

Engine? I'm interested in mobile too.

Pretty much this.

not today. a rest day a week keeps the carpal away.

youtube.com/watch?v=FNmbHkNFZ5Y

What are your thoughts on this idea:
Symphony of the Night mixed with Bioshock (1 and 2) into a Metroidvania FPS.

Here's a list of locomotion methods I've seen:

>artificial via physical buttons (trackpad as 4 cardinal directions)
>artificial via pointing the controller in a certain direction & holding a button
>artificial via looking in a direction and holding a button
>unlimited blink teleporting
>blink teleporting with a time delay like Vanishing Realms and Spell Fighter so that you can't blink past everything
>sort-of teleporting with interpolated movement (no blink, player selects location and then artificially moves to the location)

Figure out what's best for you personally, then add other options when your game evolves. It also depends on what kind of game you're making.

You can't have just one option, though. Too many people will bitch.

if you've got the artfags to back it up that shows promise

I suggest moving towards describing your game ideas without mentioning other games, however

a first-person metroidvania with a gothic aesthetic sounds cool though

Plan on implementing a feature, give yourself goals. Don't just "open the game project."

I'm going to start by just making a "look at the pretty environment" game, and then add mechanics later.

Probably some puzzles and stuff. When I get my walking simulator up and running I'll ask around for ideas on actual gameplay.

puzzles are great in VR, especially in nice environments

one of my favorite Gear VR games was Land's End, even if it was easy and short as fuck

really immersive+pretty environments and simple but rewarding puzzles

so long as it looks nice and doesn't last less than an hour you'll have a success on your hands

What do you think about something like Ace Attorney in room-scale VR? All the investigating can be done for real in 3D, I think that would be neat

I have several ideas for games but I'm intimidated by software copyright, software prices and people stealing my ideas before I even finish.

A little too much movement/too stiff. Look up stretch and bounce techniques for animation.

I meant more gameplay wise, I haven't settled on an aesthetic. However, I am an artfag so I should be fine.
I guess another way to put my idea is;
A Metroidvania FPS that turns the elements of both genres up to 11, instead of just being a middle ground, with both sides only being half of what they could be.

Practice you faggot, good god, how many times do you have to be told?

>people stealing my ideas before I even finish.
nobody will steal your ideas before you even finish.
they will only steal your ideas when you gathered fanbase and attentions.
e.g. Undertales

>small-ish rooms in VR to walk around in, investigate and find clues, maybe with an ally in the room to talk to
>courtroom scenes actually place you at the table/w client, where you have a list of evidence/etc on a piece of paper or something

this could actually work really well

only problem I can see is people being weirded out by you saying words you're not actually saying

is the standard now to use pre-existing engines rather than make your own?

it seems fun to make something of your own creation that could potentially be good, but i dont wanna start learning programming if using engines gets results anyways.

Alternatively I could trigger the ever living fuck out of everyone by making a cartoon terrorist simulator where you setup pressure cookers and drive trucks, and call it "The Refugee". Graphics like "Work Simulator"

Also wish I had a bro that had the same taste as me and could work with me on games.

Really hard finding people with the same tastes

do it with a friend maybe. make sure its something you really want to do and something you really want to come to fruition

if you don't know how to program, use a pre-existing engine. Gamemaker/Unity/Unreal are industry standards, and have been for years.

You'll have to learn how to program, but there's a lot less getting in the way of actually making SOMETHING.

If you want 2D, go with Gamemaker.
If you want 3D, go with Unity or Unreal. Unreal technically doesn't even require you to code for the most part, but the "blueprints" are mainly just a GUI for code akin to Scratch, from what I understand.

>not using a framework

alright ill try some out, thanks :)

>Also wish I had a bro that had the same taste as me and could work with me on games.

bad idea
>sales get divided
>people always give up half way through

Would be a hell of a lot of effort for something that would ultimately just anger people. I mean, have you seen how pissed people got that Palmer funded an alt-right shitposting group?

I mean, if you just wanna watch the world burn, go ahead. But that idea would probably do a lot better if it was more akin to Postal or something - Postal's already established vidya canon, and putting something that hyperviolent and OTT in VR would interest people, not scare them away. Maybe even re-open some interesting conversations about vidya violence.

Okay I'll do it!

I already have 5 ideas I want to do.

I never thought about how a game like that could quite literally damage the entire VR genre since it's early in it's life possibly costing people billions.

There needs to be a Hatred VR

Working on the actual last boss.
I couldn't quite rig the sprite I wanted together, so I improvised. He's basically a bunch of different attacks from every other boss mixed together and improved. There's a longer webm at a.pomf.cat/ursyab.webm because webm for bakas really hates compressing this stage.

Still looking for artists, and now musicians too.

Hatred didn't really do any long term damage though, people have mostly forgotten it at this point since it was such a terrible game.

why do some boards accept webm with sound and others do not?

dev blog?

Cred Forums is an imageboard, not a videoboard.

You got that WEBM of that one dude that talks? It was pretty cool.

Sure do.
a.pomf.cat/ocfszc.webm

Thanks dude.

I'm making progress on your mom

You know it! Almost done with the snow world so I can move onto the water one.