Best single player FPS since Half Life 1

Best single player FPS since Half Life 1.

Best id single player FPS since Doom 2.

Did you apologize to id yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8&feature=youtu.be&t=4h1m52s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I only played the demo of the first mission but I didn't think it was that amazing.

It's not bad but it's not fantastic. The gameplay and level design is good, but not any better then say Halo or UT, wheras the environments, music, and writing seems lacking compared to something like Halo.

I have a hard time believing that the other missions are just so much better.

Well, you're sorely mistaken on all accounts except for the story. The story here is almost a parody of itself and is good at what it does as such, but I can't imagine anyone would be enthralled by it.

The first level is the worst, shit gets crazy by the end

all i did was run around and press F for the first hour. figured id stop playing there.

My only regret is not playing it on nightmare. If you're good at this style of FPS, it becomes slightly too easy on ultra violence.

> since Half-Life 1

Doom and Half-Life aren't even in the same sub-genre of FPS, no idea why you'd make this comparison.

That's selling Final Doom, both the Quakes, Painkiller, Serious Sam and Hard Reset pretty short, but yeah, best FPS in quite a while, or at least almost since Shadow "bullet sponge" Warrior, which was otherwise excellent.

Did Doom ever have a story besides "one guy goes and kills a bunch of demons and is really bad ass"?

Besides Doom 3 I guess considering that isn't even doomguy

FEAR 1 was the best FPS since half life and still is. I'd agree on that second point though.

I still hate glory kills and the map design relied too much on arenas but otherwise it's solid.

overrated trash

literally just brutal doom + painkiller without the handmade and polished level design of classic FPS.

Literally the Musou of FPS, shitty repetitive gameplay with no variation in design.

yes

If you're talking no-story FPSs, Quake's story is even more bare-boned.

Doom 3 is either a side story or a prequel.
D44M is pretty much canon with every Doom and .wad out there on account of Doomguy now being "dislodged from time and space" in an eternal war with hell. The conflict Samuel Hayden has brought him back into is not that of his own world.

What you missed out on:

youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8&feature=youtu.be&t=4h1m52s

>Final Doom
It's just Doom, don't be technical about it.

>both the Quakes
Shit campaigns in comparison to this.

>Painkiller, Serious Sam
Better than both, honestly. Both amazing games, especially Serious Sam in co-op, but I enjoyed this more.

>Hard Reset
Haven't played yet.

Fear 1 would have been god tier with more varied environments.

You gotta be over 18 years old to post here

Did you even play the built-in classic maps? The original doom level design is boring af compared to their modern, vertical levels.

Or are you just shit posting and never played the game?

First level is very basic. It gets amazing later on. When I got to the tower level where you get the double jump and you're doing tons of tricky platforming and climbing up it felt really amazing, and it was only getting started.

>Samuel Hayden

I still can't get over the fact that he got away with it. Now he's in our video games and he keeps getting away with it. For how much longer? Not even doomguy could stop him.

Doom 3 is better than 2

You have to actually play video games to post here

The demo is awful. It really does get significantly better about 3 or 4 levels in.

Modern """"""Doom"""""" players are ruining so many mods on fan made .wads, they're practically comparing what has had 20 years of continual development and playerbasse input to new games that don't have that luxury.
With that level of investment, almost nothing is going to compare, no matter how good.

>environments, music, and writing seems lacking compared to something like Halo
Oh fuck off. Halo is extremely generic, has shitty environments, 2 weapons limit, introduced regen cancer, is cliche everywhere and did nothing new at all, it only introduced casualized mechanics to FPS.

This game really needs mod support.

I agree, but no id Tech 5 games have mod support, right?
I remember carmack saying the engine was too hard for modders or something, he said between the lines that modders are retards

The single player was fantastic. The story basically was generic but it was sort of like it was done really well at the same time. For not speaking a single word, Doomguy is very much fleshed out and a proper character. The cliffhanger was a bit irritating but since it was so blatant I fully hope we see it finished soon.

Just ignore the existence of the multiplayer.

I think it's a marriage of Doom and Quake, but not the single player of Quake 1 and 2 but the multiplayer instead. You have to constantly be on the run and move a lot which, coupled with all the verticality, reminded me of Quake 3 a lot, minus strafe jumping.

Yes, you move a lot in the original Dooms as well, but it's a bit more head-on there. At any given moment, you're kind of just shooting at a dozen demons while avoiding their projectiles, while in Doom 4, you jumping around like a chimp and flying around them so they don't swarm you.

MY RETIREMENT GREASE

With a cliffhanger like this, I expect it finished in a single player expansion pack / DLC / whatever.

>Best single player FPS since Half Life 1.

>not half life 2 and its episodes
>not FEAR
>not even metroid prime
>not even wolfenstein: the new order

i bet youre gonna be a contrarian and say im wrong, but nice bait nonetheless

This. It's complete garbage and I refuse to believe anyone who actually played Doom would say otherwise.

Pccfags and their shooting games, jesus

Good gunplay, shit everything else. Then the gunplay gets old after an hour.

The episodes were lousy.

> Redo the entire last half-hour of Half-Life 2
> babysit even more rebels
> antlion turret defense

You have putrid taste in games.

D44m is better than Half-Life 2 and Metroid Prime, you don't need even to aim in fucking MP

>half life 2 and its episodes

Severe letdown after Half Life 1 and the fact that this game is so overrated puzzles me. Did you people even play HL1 in it's day?

Only EP2 somewhat mitigated my disappointment.

>not FEAR

It was good, but not really a masterpiece in my opinion. I liked the gameplay but hated the story and atmosphere which I found corny in a bad way.

>not even metroid prime

lol, is that a console shooter? Please leave the hall.

>not even wolfenstein: the new order

I haven't played it, but you can bet I will after this game. id really proved themselves. I guess all it took is kicking out Carmack.

>half life 2
Meh
>FEAR
Meh, maybe
>metroid prime
Fuck no, that game aged like shit and its slower than cod
>wolfenstein the new order
Kys

I believe you're wrong and anyone who actually played doom4 would agree with me

Finished playing bloodborne for the day?

The multiplayer has grown on me. I'm only playing team DM and the just added DM but it's tons of fun, and not too serious. Only thing I dislike are the burn cards. Worst mechanic added to video games this entire generation. Fuck burn cards.

eh it was ok ill give them credit for at least trying to make a new doom

>Finished playing bloodborne for the day?

I'll have you know I played Uncharted 4 today.

Wolfenstein TNO was pretty good. It's different than D44m, some more cutscenes but the shooting was solid and there's a lot of things it allows you to do, dual wielding if you want to, leaning with 1 weapon only, it was bretty gud. It has a pacing that reminds me of Half-Life, some calm moments then suddenly you're fucked, then some more silent monents.

I'm trying to play the new Doom, but I also want to play Doom 2, but it's getting really painful because the levels are so bad in 2. I beat classic Doom and had a great time, now 2 is really fucking bad in comparison.

I'm wondering if 2 is worse than Doom 3 to be honest familia

Nothing in your criticism signifies that you've actually played the full game.

i don't really care that's my thought on the game

You sure they even tried? Because it sure didn't seem like it.

Unless you can give concise criticism, fuck your thoughts.

>has shitty environments
Sorry user, I almost believed you but then you went contrarian.

I felt as if I should have loved the new Wolf, I certainly did when it came to the setting and the story. But many of the guns didn't handle satisfactory to me, and I hated the dual wielding. Furthermore, it just felt like it was designed with a controller in mind, which is fine if you're a console gamer, but I prefer my shooters designed around a mouse and keyboard.

yeah, check out those amazing environments

It was good, but the new Wolfenstein is still better.

this thread proves Cred Forums is far from salvation

do what you want with the fucking board kids and redditors, its over

Dont get mad your beloved shooters are repetitive, gray, boring overrated shit

how so? you could aim fine from the hip, it was slower than Doom, but then Return to Castle Wolfenstein wasn't really fast, and Wolfenstein 2009 wasn't as well

Halo's environments were pretty fucking awesome bud.

Not anyone else's problem that you have shit taste.

>57 posts
>27 ips

take off the nostalgia goggles, halobabby
I've seen better art style from indie shooters like Betrayer

Literally every positive thing ever posted on this board about this trash heap of a game is a paid Bethesda shill. I'm not even exaggerating.

there's a no demon playlist that disables demons and hack modules (burn cards). seriously doubt anyone is playing it though, TDM and the new DM are likely going to soak up the attention in this fucking dead game

Bethesda usually has a pretty positive stance on modding since modders fix the games they develop, so why are the shooters they publish lacking in mod tools? It's not devuno because Wolfenstein The New Order also lacked mod tools, and so did RAGE.

>not even metroid prime
It's Fist Person ADVENTURE you fucking mongoloid.. When are you retards going to learn? Jesus

i think RAGE got mod tools. my expectation is that id will continue to slowly push out updates, squeeze out snapmap, and then toss id studio out there, tying in with the mods feature on bethesda.net

it did? I thought RAGE had zero mods. Maybe the community lost interest, especially after Carmack said it was too advanced for anyone else to understand

Cred Forums hates every fucking game, i still don't get it

People are talking to each other posting replies?

Inconceivable

Why is Doom II's level design so fucking bad compared to the original Doom? Did Romero and whoever was responsible for the first game's level design just put their name in II's credits but outsourced it to some chinese company or what?

forgot pic

>shitty opinions stated as fact.
The OP story.

I;m I actually agree CE's environments are really not great. CE's single player in general just isn't up to par with the rest of the franchise (it's fucking ridiculous that most of the fanbase suck's CE's campaign's dick so much), and I meant halo as a franchise

that said, i'd still argue CE has better environments then most of it's competition at the time. My biggest criticism with CE's environments and level design is the copy pasted near endless corridors, but most FPS's of that era were nothing but that, at least CE tried to have nice outdoor areas even if they were mostly empty

Also it didn't have regen health, inform yourself.

It's fine but the settings are too generic and hell was a major disapointment. Also the chain gun is way too op.

This was the worst part of the game, fuck
It's not even better than the Wolfenstein games. Better engine, better weapons, better movement, but worse level design. Level design is fucking everything

How can anyone say the point and click hitscan cover based gameplay in Wolfenstein TNO is better than fucking Doom? Fuck off.

The first hour is the worst, then it gets even better, and better, and better. Try playing for more than one hour before you shit on a game.

Honestly this really does take the cake, Halo 2 and 3 at least, definitely.

LOL Black blows all of this shit out of the fucking water, also Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault.

TNO isn't cover-based gameplay? I like Doom a lot, but TNO is also excellent.

RtCW's stealthy beginning to several sections was great fun at the time. I really loved that game, so much cool stuff it did in such a (at the time) pretty unique way.

Shame the later levels got a little wonky- that forced-stealth mission sucked, and the final boss was lame, but still a great game.

That's not NOLF

God damn it, I wish NOLF and NOLF 2 were available online. I loved those games so much.