You can grip the underwater shells in Mario 64

>you can grip the underwater shells in Mario 64
WHAT
THE
FUCK

What are some other lesser known secrets in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0NA_Nq7oZZU
youtube.com/watch?v=-UzQM1Xz2tE
youtube.com/watch?v=ksQ37bfyQMg
youtube.com/watch?v=iiO2kA18O_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=8e8HrO7V7LA
youtu.be/BMlTsqA9tWo
youtube.com/watch?v=c4YWTBZCRoA
youtube.com/watch?v=YRxFUAnWAZo
youtu.be/5ML-rth-WeE
youtu.be/30-ZBU_7ehg
youtube.com/watch?v=NK5q9NxOz_Y
youdubber.com/index.php?video=0NA_Nq7oZZU&video_start=47&audio=vAaLeJ53umE&audio_start=252
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if you play the song of storms in ocarina of time while outside, it will start to rain

but then if you play it again, it will stop

If you press A near pots in Zelda, you can pick up and throw them.

In GTA:SA you can play the console on CJ's living room!

Is there any game in existence with a deeper lore and more depth than Mario 64?

That you can collect all eight red coins in Jolly Roger Bay without raising the ship out of the water

youtube.com/watch?v=0NA_Nq7oZZU

When hacking in Fallout 3/New Vegas you can use the symbols that aren't part of words. If you see an open bracket--either a ( , { , [ , or < --look for a matching close bracket on the same line. If there is one, you can click on the open bracket and it will either remove an incorrect password or refill your password guesses.

you can tap b to swim faster in oot

Not a video game, but I figured one out for real life:
If you stop shitposting on anime forums and go outside, you can see lots of other people. You can talk to them and they'll talk back to you.

You can beat SM64 with only 1 A press.

If you play the song of storms and submerge the camera underwater, the storm will never stop as long as you remain underwater.

Fake

only pre-patch

You really didn't know this?

>You can talk to them and they'll talk back to you.
You mean look at you with nervous eyes and walk away?

Tried it, didn't work

This one blew my mind when I was playing it. Made things so much easier

Not true, all the NPCs hate you.

Yeah, and I bet you found Luigi in Super Mario 64 too.

>try this method
>go outside and talk to someone
>they just make me give them my money and stab me

what kind of fucking random encounter is this? retarded devs.

Everyone has the cellphone debuff now you shit lord. It doesn't matter.

HELP
I rolled the Socially Impaired trait and I can't talk to NPCs. How the fuck do you remove traits?

If you chop a sign and then play Zelda's Lullaby, the sign pieces will reconnect.

one of the deepest secrets in Mario 64

As long as that rainbow cruise level exist you canr.

spooky

>My friends never knew this
>Their mind blown when I show them

Wasn't this something explained in the tutorial?

Actually, the game is down to one A-press at Bowser in the Fire Sea. I assume this means Rainbow Cruise has been cracked 0x

He said "beat" not "get everything"

this was common knowledge as far back as '99

Why would they even program this into the game?

Didn't this also happen with Bowser's submarine in Dire Dire Docks?

Most secrets in the Souls games would be impossible to find if not for the digital age.

>Ash Lake/Dragon Covenant in DS1
>The first way to get Mound Maker covenant in DS3

yea once it's gone, it;s gone forever, unless you restart. probably because it's linked to the blue portal blocking his 2nd stage

Guess again.
youtube.com/watch?v=-UzQM1Xz2tE
youtube.com/watch?v=ksQ37bfyQMg
youtube.com/watch?v=iiO2kA18O_Y

>Ash Lake/Dragon Covenant in DS1

Are you serious? You can walk to the great hollow then from there hit 2 invisible walls, bam secret area.

How the fuck does that make it impossible to find without the internet, you even have the player messages

Without player messages or anything you'd most likely would have to find it by accident

the same reason they programmed HOLP's, scuttlebug raising, and parallel dimensions.

they were programming a game that was never made before for a new system nobody programmed onto which still somehow holds up well today all things considered but yeah theres some bugs.

How is that deep?

the water goes pretty far down

The in-game tutorial for hacking doesn't explain it, and, if I remember correctly, neither does the instruction manual that comes with a physical copy of the game.

I only found out about it thanks to the game's wiki.

No, not at all. The first secret wall was on darkroot forest and then sen's fortress. At this point the games hints you that many dead ends can have a secret wall. You can go back to blighttown easily after you have lordvessel and explore more, thus finding the great hollow entrance if you missed before.

I know few people who got into ash lake even before Queelag, it's hilarious.

Or in your second play trough, fuck retards that want every secret to be easily spotted from the first time

>Player messages
>Without the internet

I found Mound Makers by accident.

I was just exploring and went behind the big guy to attack him because going at those guys from the front is suicide.

I saw a prompt before i hit him and was like fuck it, okay

Fine

You still can't apply the same logic to the first way to get Mound Makers though, it literally involves talking to NPCs that look and function just like normal enemies

I don't think it was a bug in this case. I think it was to represent the power being restored to the area, just like as you recover more Shine Sprites in Sunshine, Delfino Plaza becomes brighter.

That's surprising. Maybe I read it in some character making guide on GameFAQs back in the day and forgot about it.

because it's very subtle and can only be seen once per game.

This is probably the best explanation for the change. I honestly didn't think about it like that until now.

Tifa's Theme from Final Fantasy 7 is in Ghost Trick but completely unused.
youtube.com/watch?v=8e8HrO7V7LA

I swear to god I was the first person to ever figure this out and post about it here.

>mario's lives match up with his stars in both pictures
What does it mean?

I swear to god the whole culture behind this game is fucking hilarious but that the same time genuinely intriguing.

thats deep user ._.

well user , it got right the basics of mario in 3D ,its the doom of the fps

Sonic is an unlockable character in Melee.

The QPU video was genuinely fascinating.

> there will never be a decent 3d mario again

untrue, if you select the star corresponding to the submarine, then the submarine will be there but you are right for every other star on DDD

If you haven't learned a song you cant play it

You can pick up datapads in Deus Ex if you interact with them again while you're reading them.

Everyone knows this you piece of garbage. Fuck you. Ill fuck you up. Ever heard of Tye-Wond-Do? I'll do that. Big men fall harder, and I'm very hard right now. Hard because I'm imagining beating the shit out of you. Wow, you're dumb. Ill hit ya. Hit ya good. Maybe then youll learn. Maybe, maybe not. If not, ill hit ya again. Mmmmmm, sexy, right? Yeah, that's what your wife will say to me, because I'm cool and you're not. I'll hit ya, ok? Heh. Ha. Hehe.

Why would you ever need to do this?

I mean he wasn't an enemy so I talked to him and it was just random drivel about a cage. Then I went to try and back stab the guy with the cage and got the option to get in it so I did. Literally you'd tend the mound makers if all you did was try and back stab the guy.

"""""""Henry""""""""

after getting ice powers in okami, you can draw an asterisk to make an ice storm.

still cant figure that shit out

i just guess randomly and hammer it

But, you're taking the power star away from DDD and with you to the castle. The presence of the stars should be what causes the area to brighten up, not the other way around.
The castle is what should be dark and get progressively restored. Peach even thanks you for returning them to the castle. I think it has to do with the submarine and the weather effects only applying for the initial wall of water, which goes away after collecting the one star, and not when you replay that star through the second wall.

If you press A, Mario jumps
If you press A 3 times in a row, Mario jumps 3 times higher

These two games run on the same engine.

>pressing A
>ever

David Wise used the same music sampling when composing Tropical Freeze as he did when composing Starfox Adventures.
Probably not very shocking, but I think it was interesting.

What do you mean by this? What method would that be?

Why?

Amusement Vision saved a lot of time and effort by not having to build a new engine for GX. The games looks pretty good still, though GX definitely has more going for it in the visual department, and keep a stable framerate. I don't see why they wouldn't do this.
Same thing with Melee and Kirby Air Ride. Sakurai or someone else at HAL probably put forth the idea of reusing the Melee engine for Air Ride and it works pretty well. If you move around and jump in Air Ride you'll notice it has a very similar feel to doing the same as Kirby in Melee.

It's not a method. He just means the same general library of musical beats, albeit distorted, shifted, and pitched were used to compose both Tropical Freeze and Starfox Adventures' soundtracks.

Got to final boss of crysis aka USE THE TAC before i realized you can super sprint with max speed activated. Thought it just increased average running speed

Where does one find out about this kind of thing? Reusing the same engine across different games. Is there a database on this kind of thing?

goddam it i was just playing this level earlier today and could not figure out why that shell was there

>What are some other lesser known secrets in video games?
In Mario 3D World, if you crouch while holding a shell you can ride around inside it, like the shell from NSMB.

Now I'm gonna have to listen to that soundtrack. I've never seen anyone mention or post about it.

the sub only goes away once you beat bowser 2. if you try to finish off the sub level before beating bowser, the sub is still there on subsequent stars and the floating poles wont spawn for the red coin star until he's dead and the sub leaves

>not making half A presses to jump
gtfo ''''''''''''''''''Henry''''''''''''''''''

You're not too quick on the uptake, are you?

You can't beat the game without pressing A, you gotta do it at least once. Unless mister pancake makes some sort of breakthrough

It's on the Dolphin wiki as well as Wikipedia. I just kind of assume it was true since the people working on Dolphin probably noticed similarities between the two games.
They kind of do have a similar feel to them. Like, the weight of the ''characters'' when moving around and how they act when smacking into walls at high speed are similar.

pcgamingwiki has a few lists on games that use the same engine. There probably should be a centralized effort made to figure that shit out though.

I was retarded as a kid and couldn't figure out how to raise the ship

I always used to do it this way

It wasn't known at all until Miyamoto demonstrated the effect onstage at TGS 2011

Don't fucking lie

Fake

It will tell you how many letters are in the right location. So:
Door - 2
Roof - 2

You know the two Os are correct.

because Amusement Visions was fucking rad

They also shared a lot of SFX and voice actors

Also, another neat thing. The F-Zero GX disc contains the full AX arcade game. AX has slightly different physics and camera than GX. For example, in GX, you can set your machine to full acceleration and drift back and forth rapidly to gain insane amounts of speed, but in AX that won't work. Instead, there is a way to lose your grip and start a sort of sideways drift state which will gain a lot of speed. It's kind of weird, but really interesting.
You can access the full game via a softmodded Wii and Nintendont. It also works on Dolphin.

youtu.be/BMlTsqA9tWo

Have you not played Super Monkey Ball?

It was pretty much F-Zero: the platformer
youtube.com/watch?v=c4YWTBZCRoA

TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIND

The shit he does is impossible to do by hand on the original console. Don't lie.

>finished super metroid several times, huge fan of the series
>last year watching awesome games done quick
>my fucking face when I learned that you could electrocute Draygon to death

call me ignorant, but it's beautiful to get that feeling of discovering

youtube.com/watch?v=YRxFUAnWAZo

When drinking from water sources in Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4, you can hold down the E key to continuously drink instead of having to restart the animation everytime you press the key.

I accidentally discovered parallel universes while trying to figure out how to walljump

Another thing!

youtu.be/5ML-rth-WeE

youtu.be/30-ZBU_7ehg

Same composer as well. Listen to the kick, melody and rhythm guitars and the deep squarewave synth in these tracks. Really good stuff.

what the fuck happened to Amusement Vision anyway?

Nintendo dropped them like a rock after F-Zero GX, and all the Super Monkey Ball games have been so garbage since Adventure

>you will never be so into super monkey ball that you decide to live your life in a ball

youtube.com/watch?v=NK5q9NxOz_Y

>Not liking Deluxe
What the hell, man? It's literally 1 and 2 combined into one giant fucking game.
Either way, AV merged with SEGA R&D in 2004, so technically they still exist.

>What the hell, man? It's literally 1 and 2 combined into one giant fucking game.
dem analogue deadzones though

some of the master stages were basically impossible

If you hold down while pressing A underwater in Super Mario World you'll swim significantly lower

At least thats how I think it goes I can't remember exactly

Bullshit. Are you serious?

If you hold B in Super Mario Bros. you'll move significantly faster

There was something wrong with the deadzones of the Xbox controller?

Did you guys know an A press is an A press, it can't be a half?

Some stages were not included AND THERE'S NO ROLLING "WOP WOP WOP" SOUND!

If while playing Revenge of Shinobi you remove the cart and insert Sonic and Knuckles, Revenge of Shinobi will stop working.

>AND THERE'S NO ROLLING "WOP WOP WOP" SOUND!
I never really thought about this. Maybe Nintendo had copyrights?

youdubber.com/index.php?video=0NA_Nq7oZZU&video_start=47&audio=vAaLeJ53umE&audio_start=252

Is this the kind of shit young people listen to these days?

>these days
you mean 15 years ago?

Still shit

There was a button (b or something?) in Halo 3 and maybe earlier Halos that would make covenant vehicles slow down and lift their front up. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a brake or what but you could use it if a warthog was trying to ram you and you'd just end up driving over them.

I never noticed this, might replay it sometime to see

You have to grind social awareness. Best way to start with a low charisma stat is to practice in the mirror like in the sims.

Fuck off, gayloshitter.

How'd you get out of your Overwatch thread?

Again, fuck off.
Nobody here cares about some generic comic shooter either.

>all these years later
>there are those who are still mad over Halos existence

It is pretty much the worst thing that happened in gaming.

So does Burnout 3 and GTA:SA

underrated

NPC Picked up a rock and threw it at my face when I tried to speak to it. What did I do wrong?

>I didn't play the game
At least shit post about games you've actually played.

I played it for a few minutes then I got bored. To be honest I have no idea what even the main quest is.

Lol just look up a guide. The in game tutorial is incredibly shitty depending on your starting zone.

The cape in Pal SMW lifts you significantly higher. Someone on /vr/ has a webm of it

That isn't a secret, nor is it in the base game. That only works in Shifter.

This is patched

Dummy