Point-and-click Adventure Games

What are good games outside of Lucasarts, Sierra, and Telltale?

This game recently had a 3rd sequel come out. How is thd whole thing and how does it have sequels when its so relatively unknown?

Other urls found in this thread:

gog.com/wishlist/games/blade_runner_1997_video_game_2
agdinteractive.com/games/games.html
infamous-adventures.com/kq3/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This series too, relatively unheard of but apparently will have a 3rd game this year, somehow.

Hey

This game was hot fucking garbage compared to TLJ. Literally the most uninteresting, sleep inducing pile of nothing.

Play this, OP.

Also, as someone who forced himself to play through Dreamfall chapters out of nostalgia for TLJ, I have to say it was the worst rape of my childhood I'd ever experienced. The story itself wasn't that bad, but the way it was told killed the game completely. Also, liberal cuck shit shoehorned into it and put into spotlight. Absolutely avoid.

So you're saying tlj and dreamfall tlj were good then?

Hard to imagibe feminist stuff when all i ever see of the first 2 games is the girl waddling around in her panties

The original TLJ was one of the most hyped adventure games back in the day. Everyone loved it, that's why people got suckered into kickstarting the pile of shit that was Chapters.

The first Dreamfall on the other hand was a pile of shit with atrocious mechanics nobody wanted to see in an adventure game, and a shitty story with a cliffhanger at the end. If you play that you're gonna want to see the "conclusion" in Chapters, so you'll be in for a huge shitfest. TLJ is pretty self-contained so I'd stick with only that.

Was syberia also hyped back then?

Yeah. It had a lot of critical acclaim from what I remember. Maybe it's because I didn't have nostalgia for it, but I thoroughly disliked the plot in that game. Wasn't as fascinating as TLJ, but still a decent adventure, I guess.

Syberia 3 because Beniot Sokal always wanted to draw a third one and I guess now's the time. The most amazing thing is I think it was funded rather than Kickstarter backed.

Daedalic Entertainment seems to have picked up the point and click mantle. Their Armageddon Bundle goes on sale relatively frequently and you get a hell of a lot of titles out of it--some good, some just plain shit (that Alcatraz game) and some just depend on your tastes.

The Last Express

Chapters was really that bad? I meant to get it when it came out.
I agree that Dreamfall wasn't nearly as good as TLJ

The Witness has 0 story but the gf and I have really enjoyed playing it.

Saying "all the puzzles are line puzzles" does the game no justice whatsoever.

this series. play it right the fuck now

Played but didnt finish a game several years ago but forgot the name, its not deponia.

Theres magic and a dude tells a story at a campfire, your hf gets turned into a dove or whatever. Then you also play life 100 years in the past as some heroine

It was abysmal. Riddles ranging from "fetch this thing there" to tedious room searching of atrociously looking 3D environments. Story had awful pacing, so there was never any tension going on, and the characters reek of the quirky numale design. It was honestly unbearable to the point of me having to play it windowed and finish ASAP. Oh, and the voice acting is also bottom of the barrel, so get ready for that monotone delivery.

Shit man. Guess I'm not playing it any time soon.
Shame too TLJ was p good and while Dreamfall was shit, I still was waiting for a real ending

How's Still Life?

Chains of satinav? Or Memoria. Never played Memoria but Chains was fun enough.

What a disappointing end to an enjoyable series Dreamfall Chapters was. Even without the leftist shit.

>for a real ending
Yeah, that's pretty much the only positive to the whole thing. It provided closure to the cliffhanger from Dreamfall, but the same closure wasn't really needed for TLJ as it was mostly self-contained. TLJ felt like it got concluded well enough.

Still, I can't say that I felt any emotion playing Chapters. I was completely numb after all the nonsense it put me through.

Memoria! Thanks

Dropsy is fucking great. It's a lot like Lucasarts adventure games but a bit more melancholy. I really loved it.

Except it didn't provide closure. We have no idea what happened to April for example other than that she wandered around storytime for a while. And who was Saga, and where did her parents go? Etc etc

I wouldnt really call the witness an adventure game. It's a puzzle game. Has more in common with Infinifactory and the Talos Principle than it does with Myst.

All I got from it is that it was a loop, and beyond that I just didn't give a fuck. It was like reading fanfic.

Discworld games, although the first two are some of the sickest examples of adventure game logic out there. I think Disworld Noir is by far the best one and it's what TWAU aspired to be.

I don't know what Id call the Witness. It scratches the same point-and-click type itch as an adventure game for the gf and I, but yes, its not really one.

Its puzzles sure, but there is an exploration bit to it. And while you are maintaining or combining an inventory, you do have to maintain and combine knowledge?

I'm pretty sure Ragnar Tornquist already mentioned they would like to make another game, but it could be a very long time until it happens. Especially when they're no longer backed by Funcom.

Can you explain why you thought it was a loop? Genuinely curious.

this was not bad at all

very comfy and old school 3D/2D mix (like syberia or still life)

>Blade Runner still isnt on GOG
I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD

I like it.

What about this?

I've only played one episode, it annoyed me how tumblr and nu-male it was. But I have to admit everything from the visuals to the puzzles was quality

>Also, as someone who forced himself to play through Dreamfall chapters out of nostalgia for TLJ, I have to say it was the worst rape of my childhood I'd ever experienced. The story itself wasn't that bad, but the way it was told killed the game completely. Also, liberal cuck shit shoehorned into it and put into spotlight. Absolutely avoid.

It wasn't good by any means, but you're exaggerating a little. Also I thought the ending tied everything up as nicely as was possible given how much of a clusterfuck everything was.

Not sure if loop is the right way to put it, but everything saga did was preordained, and then they show the lady alvane scene in the pocket dimension, so there you go.

golden age of telltale

>tumblr, numale
Are you retarded? Its nothing of the sort.

Ep 1 is fantastic as fuck, 10/10.

Ep 2 and 3 were...ehh

Apparently the source code is lost.
Source:
gog.com/wishlist/games/blade_runner_1997_video_game_2

It takes a dump on King's Quest, but I guess it's a decent middle point between Telltale's bullshit and proper P&C adventures.

Everyone has red tumblr noses. That's tumblr.

And they turned the main character from this hunk to a nasely voiced skinny nu-male

>I thought the ending tied everything up as nicely as was possible
Oh I thought that was satisfactory to the minimum possible extent you could have expected at that point, but like you said the entire shitfest prior to that never escaped my memory, and holy fuck was I mad over all the mundane anti-climactic drivel.

I wouldn't really characterize what you do in the witness as "exploration". Everything is so structured into little bundles of related puzzles. There's almost no point in admiring the scenery since it never serves any purpose. I really thought the environmental puzzles were going to develop into something amazing but they never try to expand the mechanics of those puzzles, they're always just find the right angle to look at the environment and then follow a line from point a to point b. As much as I enjoyed the puzzles in the Witness, I found the game as a whole to be a tremendous disappointment. And lord knows the babby's first anti-theism bullshit audio logs didn't help.

>We have no idea what happened to April
She got shanked and died, then her spirit was reborn in a different person.

>And who was Saga
April's spirit reincarnated into a new person. Later becomes old Lady Alvane from TLJ.

>Where did her parents go?
Her mother's locating charms failed when she was out and she could never find her way back to the house (since it exists outside space and time). Her dad eventually left to search for her mother. She never saw either again, which was pretty shitty.

I found a sealed copy in my basement recently. Must have been bought as a gift decades ago and then forgotten about before it could actually be given away. It was pretty fucking cool to find a cult classic like that just squirreled away in a box though.

This wasn't fantastic, but I would say it's on the level of previous broken sword games

the hand drawn locations really looked fantastic

>It takes a dump on King's Quest
King's Quest had it coming.

Season 1 and 2 were okay but I hated season 3. And even at their best they never measured up to Hit the Road or the comics.

Sell that shit, senpai.

Anons, try playing A Trader of Stories. It has become one of my all time favourites. It's simple and short (which in some few cases aren't bad qualities) but it's stunningly gorgeous.

But mostly there's a lot of passion and love behind and you can feel it through all the game.

Nah, I'd rather hold onto it. I was thinking about starting up a collection of big box pc games anyway. I used to love em but most of my old ones are long gone.

I have this game on Steam, tried playing it the other day and got stuck at the dream sequence at the beginning. Is there a way to check what objects are interactable? It's a bitch to just click all over the screen and hope something happens.

Is it floppy disks? I wonder if they've rotted into dust yet.

KQV & VI are massively superior though

I dont really have much experience with point and click games, but I played and finished this game and I had a pretty good time solving puzzles and exploring around, the dark and mechanic wasteland aesthetics were pretty sweet

can anyone recommend me a title with a dark/post-postapocaliptic/biomechanic kind of artstyle?

It's a dead genre. It was born due to hardware limitations but right now we can make games that are more interactive.

Telltale resurrected the genre just to kill it.

>Daedalic Entertainment seems to have picked up the point and click mantle.
I quite like Deponia (its really dumb, but still fun), but Daedalic really doesn't hold a candle to the old Microïds stuff.

Dunno. Doesn't really matter. It would take a bunch of fan patching and vms to get it running anyway so I might as well just pirate it.

Is Monkey Island the only PnC series where the 3rd game isn´t shit?

>I quite like Deponia (its really dumb, but still fun), but Daedalic really doesn't hold a candle to the old Microïds stuff.

I WANT to like Deponia, but I just can't, and that's having given 4 games a chance.

It LOOKS fantastic but the puzzles are awful and the writing is some of the worst shit you'll ever see anywhere ever, which I suppose isn't surprising when you consider it's krauts attempting to be funny.

Trilby's notes was the third in its series and its alright.

>Is Monkey Island the only PnC series where the 3rd game isn´t shit?

The abortion that is Monkey Island 4 more than makes up for the third game being good.

If she was April's spirit reincarnated, as such, then why did April exist in that Realm Zoe went to? Why is April going to meet Lady Alvane at the end?

I mean if there's a cogent explanation that's nice but the game doesn't explain this through its own internal narrative. It just hints at it.

I'm not sure how they would do that. The end of chapters basically explains everything.

A big part of me is just butthurt they killed off April for real. Not going to lie.

>Why is April going to meet Lady Alvane at the end?
Because that's what happened in TLJ. Didn't you play the original game?

>If she was April's spirit reincarnated, as such, then why did April exist in that Realm Zoe went to?
Human April is a shifter (as explained in TLJ), which means she can move at will between Arcadia and Stark. Chapters explains that she got pretty disillusioned after leading the resistance in Arcadia for so long and apparently lost her ability to shift.

Although she has a human body, her spirit is that of one of the eternal dragons. She gets shanked and killed near the end of Dreamfall.

Chapters begins with a sequence showing her funeral and Saga being born at the "same time" (not really the same time, since the house exists outside of time and space, but the imagery is obvious).

April meets Lady Alvane at the end of Chapters because it's already happened in TLJ. Lady Alvane knows when April will arrive, as she has technically already experienced it AS April. It's pretty standard pre-destination paradox shit that you'll find in a lot of sci-fi (ie Terminator).

I can only remember lady a reading a story to some people

>I can only remember lady a reading a story to some people

That's Lady Alvane/Saga, and the place where she's reading to them is the house outside of space and time.

I can't remember exactly, but she escapes at some point through a portal into lady alvane's house. Else she woulda died.

Also be glad the stretch goal to have the house included in chapters at all was reached, or this shit would make no fucking sense whatsoever.

>they weren't planning to include it
So that's why it was such a rushed piece of shit with dumb padding.

Interesting. It has been so long since I played TLJ. Is it ever alluded to that April has any family in stark?

>So that's why it was such a rushed piece of shit with dumb padding.

Yet so integral to the overall story that NOT including it should have been unthinkable.

Kickstarter, ladies and gentlemen.

>Is it ever alluded to that April has any family in stark?

She's an orphan but got adopted by drunken country bumpkins, which is one of the reasons why she moves to the "big city" as soon as she's able.

TLJ had a scene where the white dragon calls april her daughter basically, so no. She's entirely from arcadia.

Extremely well written story. My favourite point an click, very comfy setting too.

The sequels are good but not as good.

Yeah. Out of the clusterfuck that was chapters the only thing that I found emotionally touching was the fact Saga never sees her parents again. Her going back to the house of all times when it's empty was pretty sad.

broken sword 1 and 2 are some of the best games of all time.
by far the best adventure game

I played this game briefly but ended up giving up at one of the puzzles since I just couldn't figure it out, no matter how simple it seemed to be (the part where you have to select the right legs for the automaton).
It had an interesting athmosphere and I found it very comfy and it's a shame that I gave up on it so early.

>TLJ had a scene where the white dragon calls april her daughter basically, so no. She's entirely from arcadia.

The dragons aren't exclusively related to either Stark or Arcadia. They exist and exert influence in both.

Which is a fucking tragedy compared to how much more powerful the storytelling in TLJ was. The moment when you embark past the outskirts of the city with crow gives me some serious feels when I think about it.

She was cute. I wish Tornquist didn't kill her off.

Also. We see her near the end with crow in that other existence Zoe travels to. But then we see crow with Lady Alvane right at the end as she's about to meet April. Why does Lady Alvane not want crow to see April?

Dropsy was so fucking greaaaaaaaaaaaaat m8

>Yeah. Out of the clusterfuck that was chapters the only thing that I found emotionally touching was the fact Saga never sees her parents again. Her going back to the house of all times when it's empty was pretty sad.

Her dad really got shit on in that story.

>Why does Lady Alvane not want crow to see April?

Because April is already travelling with younger Crow. If she saw old crow too it would raise some serious questions for her about what the fuck was going on.

Yeah. There are a lot of revisits of old characters that are either terrible, see roper klacks. Or introductions of new characters that serve no real purpose and don't really advance the plot or their own arc in any meaningful way. See that redhead who likes Kian.

>reject the redhead cause wtf is going on senpai who the fuck are you
>kian is now a homosex
god fucking damn it

Her dad was just an ordinary human whom her mother happened to fall in love with right? Poor guy.

Ahhh. So April in that part at the end of chapters is just beginning her journey or something? I can't remember her meeting Lady Alvane in TLJ asides from the section right at the beginning.

One can call Grim Fandango a PnC game despite using the keyboard to move since it's practically a PnC in every other way.

>Her dad was just an ordinary human whom her mother happened to fall in love with right? Poor guy.

Her father was from Stark and her mother from Arcadia. It's never revealed how they met, but the house is the only place they can be together.

>Ahhh. So April in that part at the end of chapters is just beginning her journey or something?

Yes. That exact scene happens in TLJ, but from April's POV.

OK. Now I understand. Thanks user. Regarding stark, I seem to remember in TLJ space travel was a real thing. You even get on a spaceship as April. But after the collapse things get scaled back a bit in stark.

The Lost Crown is one I highly recommend.
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav is great too.
The Charnel House Trilogy is good though really short.

Some that haven't been listed yet:
Black Mirror
Alter Ego
Last Half of Darkness - Society of the Serpent Moon
The Sherlock Holmes games
Safecracker
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
Dark Fall The Journal

Also PnC but more tablet territory:
Jacob Jones and the Bigfoot Mystery
Puzzle Agent

Also Barrow Hill and its sequel recently came out on Steam.

I love adventure games with underlying tones of the supernatural.

TLJ and Dreamfall fell into this perfectly. Broken Sword was nicely done, Indiana Jones-level cult adventures are always comfy and it had just the right amount of comedy without being campy.

Other than that, I have to give some love to Simon the Sorcerer 2 as it was my first P'n'C.

I recall an orbital station or something like that. It was like the final landmark before she went into another dimension. Man, that game had everything.

Mmm chapter no, they dont compare.

Ch2 and 3 suck though so 5 is better

But kq6 is bad

>I seem to remember in TLJ space travel was a real thing. You even get on a spaceship as April.

Sort of. It's more a space station, I recall.
Stark is supposed to be "our world" but about 300 years in the future, so the technology is obviously superior, but I don't believe that had practical interplanetary travel.

Any Point and click you would recommend for a novice to the genre?
I've only played Monkey Island and some Telltale games, but I would prefer something with the difficulty in the middle where it's not just a simple walking simulator, but also doesn't have frustrating obscure solutions to its puzzles.

Kings quest 2015 chapter 1.

Broken Sword 1 and 2. Simple controls and interface, interesting puzzles, lovely design and characters, lots of wit and charm.

King's Quest V

It's pretty funny, and requires a bit of planning or you end up dying or stuck, but in the end it's pretty straightforward.

>No mention of Neverhood
You plebs make me sick

main character is annoying as fuck, sounds like some liberal sjw

Thanks, guys, I'll take a look at those.

>I love adventure games with underlying tones of the supernatural.
Play The Lost Crown.

>tfw nobody else played this

>get my first PC as a kid
>ask the guy at the store to pirate some vidya for me
>get given neverhood and nfs
that was truly a superior gentleman and the store closed a few years later

This.

Also, Fran Bow

Good god, how come no one has mentioned Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok? It is THE BEST point-and-click adventure game.

I liked The Devil's Playhouse. It was just nowhere near as good as the first two, especially with no Bosco at all and almost no Sybil.

>indie pixel art trash
>the best

Seriously start with the 2015 ch 1 to ease yourself in.

Try 5 after that, but you'll need s guide and a lot of saves.

I'm almost at the end of pic related (specifically the 20th anniversary remaster) and I've loved it.

Great atmosphere and the story is interesting enough to make me want to play this straight through.

Great voice actors but I've noticed the animations can be a bit buggy.

What about Obduction? Anyone played that?

Syberia is great but sometimes game doesn't really point to how you should approach a problem and gives you hints very subtly so people get frustrated at that some point in the game.Really that's the only "problem" with it which is not even a problem imo.It's a great game which was very memorable for me.Though second game is kinda wack compared to the first one it's still not a bad game and you should play it if you liked the first one.Here's to hoping Syberia 3 will be the best of them.

Try this "The Trader of Stories Bell's Heart"

I'm sorry if I sound like a shill but I honestly think it has what you asked

I was planning to, but it looks pretty charming from what I can see.

Lost Horizon. Indiana-Jones-esque story, well drawn backgrounds and no moon logic puzzles.

How to get gud in Sierra adventures?

Does anyone remember this older game;It's set in India you play 15 minutes in real world then you play the next 15 minutes in the dream state and this repeats till the end?Here are a few more thing I remember, you had to drop a vase on top of a guard to get past an area, you had to use a feather to wake up someone and I'm not sure about this but I think game starts with you flying to India.

It's literally fucking Dreamfall and it's a shitty adventure game.

No it's not this game had controls like Myst.

Pretty good.

>no QFG5
step it up Cred Forums

Book of Unwritten Tales. All 3 games are good.

Atlantis: The Lost Tales, maybe? I don't remember it much.

No, but is this game good, do you remember?

atlantis was good yeah

>blonde bimbos
YES

Stupid Invaders should get a rerelease.
Does it work on modern systems?

I can't believe Discworld games aren't on GOG.

Best stuff I've played in years. Second game is too comfy.

agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

These guys are making VGA remakes of old Sierra AGI games that never got official ones. I thought it was pretty cool.

They probably can't get DWN to work on modern systems.

Nah, it works in ScummVm as I recall. Most likely rights holder is being stupid.

>Kings Quest 3
Didn't it already get a remake? infamous-adventures.com/kq3/index.php

>TLJ
The Gone Home of its time. You should have played LA games.

This hidden gem

i didn't play it but tormentum:dark sorrow seems dark