Resident evil 4 thread

what it was like playing it when it was first released back in january 05?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zyWnpQjxlVc
a.pomf.cat/utyszs.mp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the graphics were hyped and very impressive. it was fun. it's still a good game but takes time to adjust after having dual stick movement in gears, uncharted, dead space, or whatever's came out since those times

He said fucking 2005 and you mention Uncharted and Dead Space? Are you a fucking retard?

Dead Space was released in 2008 and Uncharted in 2007. RE4 was a fucking PS2 games and you are literally comparing it with a PS3 game and you talk like you played it back then.

How can you fucking say RE4 graphics "were" impressive if in your mind Dead Space was released in the same year? Fucking stupid bitch ass faggot, I hope you die for being such an ignorant retard

it was like getting a reach around while being fucked by a really hot girl with a dick

Oh... the game in which they portray my country as a bunch of medieval barbars living off their farms who speak with a disgusting south american accent.

sorry m8 that's just how it goes for non-white third world countries when it comes to how they are portrayed in video games

>mfw

>my country
>one town
Get over it. You don't see niggers crying about RE5. Do you want to be worse than niggers?

>excuse me, sir?
>he's not a zombie
>turn off gamecube

I remember being blown away by the graphics, this game was so scary back then because of how real everything looked. Combine that with the atmosphere and revolutionary over the shoulder perspective and it pretty much blew every single other game away at the time.

How old were you back then? Were you already a fan of the series?

But they did cry about it.

They called it racist when it came out.

I played the PS2 version and graphics were amazing, I agree completely with >that intro music
youtube.com/watch?v=zyWnpQjxlVc

The entirety of RE4 actually took place in a artifically recreated facility on USA, that is clearly noticeable by the "this is how american think this country is" and everyone being south american to cheapen the costs of personnel

Learn to read, he's saying that playing RE4 TODAY is kinda tricky because of those games, not back then when it came out

I was 15, and yes I enjoy RE2 and RE0 more than RE1 and REmaster, but RE4 is my favortie

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEELED 'EM IN

was 12 and it ruled. Wanted it more than anything for my birthday, me and dad drove to some JB Hifi in the sticks to find it.

Got it for GC and played the SHIT out of it

>The entirety of RE4 actually took place in a artifically recreated facility on USA, that is clearly noticeable by the "this is how american think this country is" and everyone being south american to cheapen the costs of personnel

gonna need some facts son

Was meant for

SJWs cried about it. You don't see nigs kicking around today whining about it, do you? "They portray us as poor spear chucking assholes who only want to kill, boo hoo hoo" - Something I've never heard from a black person, especially not years after the fact like Salty Spaniard up there.

I had never played a game like it before. The action was just phenomenal, the graphics were amazing, and as a 15 year old, I thought Leon was awesome, not a cheesy 80's action hero.

It was so incredible, I played through so many times and the mercenary mode. 10/10 game back in the day.

OONFALLA STELLRO

You have to remember that we only had previous Resident Evils to go off at this point. What was being shown in the Nintendo Magazines was a lot of the village, it did not really compute, it was the great unkown, kind of like how VII feels to us right now.

And they all spoke of how the villagers were, how they reacted in pain and shock to each gun shot, how they were organised, and seemed to hatch plans to trap you.

When i finally did play it on my gamecube, it was ambient, detailed and detailed. When the first two ganados outside fuckin RAN at you it was hype as fuk. Then you got to preform your first ever round house kick on on of them "hully shit" that always got the biggest reaction from people watching it with you.

And at this stage we didnt know what or who was causing all this to happen.

Leon had not been properly seen since resi 2 and with nothing to compare with but renders from 1998, Leon apeared oddly... Sickly looking. Even when you compared him to characters from REmake and Zero.

>it did not really compute, it was the great unkown, kind of like how VII feels to us right now.
Not really-- third person shooters really did not exist the way RE4 perfected it. With VII, well, Penumbra came out 9 years ago, and since then there have been dozens of games just like it. I don't see how VII will push the bar and genuinely feel "unknown" the way RE4 did.

I remember the graphics being photorealistic at times, especially in the era of CRT TV's. The invisible bugs and the lava room come to mind as being very impressive.

Your right hand comes off?

Hmm true, true...

It felt comfortable after years of resi to play though, for all the people who complain about tank controls and dont seem to realise that resi 4 uses the exact same thing. I dont like playing anything pre resi 5 (because you can't) without the d-pad. Makes control much easier and tighter. Still use the analoge for aiming in 4 :3

>"RE4 was a PS2"
>calling others retards

It had like a year of exclusivity in GameCube first. The PS2 version is some gimped bullshit.

You're an idiot.

Gimped or no, they did that shit in double time, were they already planning it for PS2 well before the release on GC? I mean, they were porting it to the PS2 of all things... I heard its pretty hard to work for, programming in stuff that came with the camecube as standard.

Back in early 04 i was reading the nintendo power magazine on the design choices they created on the enemies saying how if your not careful they can overwhelm you. Playing it was mt sis and cousin was fun the village was the place were we hasd trouble, using a NP magazine with the first walkthrough was fun and we would pass the remote after each of us got too scared to continue.

I've been a Resident Evil fan since day 1. When 4 came out I was so hyped. I beat it in almost one sitting only breaking for a 3 hour nap. It was incredible.

I just beat 6 for the first time yesterday. I was let down by 6 in 2012, but after bot caring for 4 years I now love it too.

I think that games biggest contribution is the in-depth gunplay mechanics, like diving backward and rolling on the ground. That game is super Japanese just like RE5 was, I love it.

I loved 5 too, which is why I'm surprised I didn't care much for 6 at first. I think what I love about 5 and 6 is that it's Japan's take on American action movies. Any time Japan does an immitation of American media it turns out hilarious and awesome. So over the top and full of bravado.

las plagas are literally a prehistoric bug that can take control of other living organisms

>american media

that corny terra save ad in revelations

Think abou this situation for a second...
>an ARMED Foreigner in Spain, just straight up walks into someones house GUN OUT. And then after breaking and entering is attacked by someone defending themselves on THEIR property. So of course he shoots him dead. In his home. And continues on.

For a long time I seriously considered it the best RE game. I played the PS2 version though. I was so surprised how good the game was at the time.

Fast forward a bunch of years and playing it for a third time I realized that at the time I overrated it a bit too much. However it is still probably the scariest of the series to me mostly because of the chainsaw enemies. Dodging their near swings always makes me nearly have a heart attack. They work great with the gameplay. They should have made some other enemies in the game able to one hit kill you like the chainsaw enemies. Would have made the game even better.

So great game but I can't honestly call it best RE anymore. It's the best modern RE I'll give it that.

UN FORESTERO

>Not really-- third person shooters really did not exist the way RE4 perfected it.

This is so fucking false. Third person shooters were in abundance back then and worked just fine. It's just that none of these companies ever thought to put the camera positioned in the way RE4 did and the way RE4 did it works well for that game because it is meant to be atmospheric for because RE4 is also a horror game.

For whatever reason companies adopted it and probably because it looks """""cooler""""" that way.

I really wish some third person shooters would drop the fucking over the shoulder shit already. The old way was meant for faster gunplay while the over the shoulder way was meant for RE4's gameplay specifically. Your view shouldn't be obscured a bit from the left simply because developers don't know what they are doing.

why the FUCK is the word 4 before the words residental evil?

All around very impressive.
There was still lots of wishful attitude for a proper, zombies including sequel with RE4´s gameplay.

>For whatever reason companies adopted it and probably because it looks """""cooler""""" that way. I really wish some third person shooters would drop the fucking over the shoulder shit already. The old way was meant for faster gunplay while the over the shoulder way was meant for RE4's gameplay specifically.

The sides of the screen are less important than the "alley" your cross makes in front of your character. The path from the player to the thing of interest he's looking at/walking toward is a lot more important than peripheral vision. That's why common FPS design moved the centered gun viewmodels of Quake to the side, so you can best see what's ahead.

remember ordering a japanese magazine to play the e3 demo

Mfw when games let you click for left or right handed views for over the shoulder camera.
Round a friends house, playin shitshow that is battlefront. Sees me click to the left hand just as Leon would be in RE4.
"Hey bro, it will be better if you click to the right."
Nearly had to slap his shit.

All I know is I gave chainsawphobia after that game because around the same time I watched chainsaw massacre and that shit fucking spooked me . I still get uncomfortable when the big dude with 2 chainsaws comes at me in mercenaries, shame they didn't put him in the main game.

I replayed it again and nothing spooked me in the game though.

I remember how pretty and especially stylish it looked, in a goofy James Bond way.
It also had so much content, as whenver I searched for it in the internet a new secret or rumor would pop out.

Fuck yeah, that intro music is godlike

LALALAALALLALALA

>Start game
>Get weapon
>First part where zombies come towards you at farmhouse
>"Holy fucking shit the controls suck ass"
>Turn off console
>Never play again

They're not that far off..

it blew my fucking mind. The AI had never been done before (at least to my knowledge), the way they would flank and attack from different routes. Stuff like barricading rooms was revolutionary (and sadly underused in this game and others that followed). It was the first game to popularise that over the shoulder camera that is standard now and little details like shooting enemies in different places having different reactions all came together flawlessly.

It's hard to play it in the same frame of mind now, but in my opinion even by today's standards it's a masterpiece of a TPS.

Niggas, that was SJW's. I'm black and while I don't speak for every other choco-person out there, I was fucking pissed when they changed everything. The trailer had me hype as fuck, too...

Shit, I was more confused at seeing more asians and mexicans than black people most the time, like what the fuck, they just went to the other stupid extreme.

My reaction to it was about the same as it was for playing Ocarina back in 98. There was nothing like it and it felt like playing the future.

>The AI had never been done before (at least to my knowledge)
It had been done before, but not often enough that it wasn't appreciated.

Shit was mind blowing. Really fucking was.

>SJWs
>In 2007
Are you guys retarded?

they existed
but back then they called them liberals

It does that so you have a better view when approaching corners. If the camera is over the right shoulder then you'll expose more of your character before the camera actually gets around a right corner. It doesn't really matter for a slower paced game like RE4, but in other games where enemies have firearms it's more of an issue.

>Every liberal is an SJW
Murrica is retarded.

Fuck sake. Is the sewer boss at chapter 4-1 (I think) killable first time around? Froze him with the canisters and emptied my rifle/magnum/shotgun into his brain and the fucker is still after me. I've used up all the canisters and the cunt is to elusive to hit without them.

I'm using upgraded starting weapons plus magnum, am I not doing enough damage or something? I don't want to use rpg but this fucker is pushing me to far.

Love the level design for castle.

>getting this triggered
Don't you have to be a faggot somewhere else?

We also think everyone who is liberal but doesn't go full SJW is an alt-right.

Was 16 and in school. Went to Electronic Boutiques right after and bought it.

Played it and thought the opening area with the town was the best thing I had ever experienced at the time. Rang up my mate and we proceeded to discuss for hours and more so on MSN Messenger.

>tfw probs gonna kill myself this week so feels good remembering this stuff

Rocket launcher oneshots it.

No this is false. It clearly was working very well until RE4 showed up. Then developers saw how much more """""cinematic""""" it looked and suddenly it became the standard.

If developers were putting gameplay ahead of looks or show then this over the shoulder 3rd person stuff wouldn't even be a thing.

Absolutely love this game, playing atm

cannot aim for shit with my xbox360 though

a.pomf.cat/utyszs.mp4

user plz no.

it was fun. made me love RE again after the lackluster 3. I remember back then that we had a spanish classmate and we would ask him to copy the voices of the angry spanish mob. good times

last good RE game :(

Nice rebuttal, "Nuh-uh!". Look, not every modern accepted design philosophy is cinematic garbage.

Explain then how all these old third person shooters were never a problem at all until suddenly the developers decided to change it. You are fooling yourself if you think they changed it for the betterment of the gameplay. Some modern third person shooters have that stupid pc way too much to the left to the point where the entire left side gets obscured. 3rd shooters were in abundance pre-RE4.

It was pretty great when it was released. And it was a Nintendo exclusive for a while.

And because it was designed originally for the GameCube, it always felt like it was best suited to that console's joypad.

GameCube was a brilliant console which doesn't get enough love.

>you now remember that godawful ubisoft's pc port

But user, I love aiming with the arrow keys, it's totally intuitive