Vsync on or off?

Vsync on or off?

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to vsync?

amazing bait twobyaych

Turn it on when you have screen tearing

>Turn it on
>See if it introduces any sort of input lag
>If so, turn it off

Driver: Yes
Engine: No

Is there still tearing? Maybe yes to both

There's literally no difference
How about I just pop the game in and play. is that good?

On if you have screen tearing.

I turn it off in FPS no matter what because the input lag its causes feels horrible with mouse aiming.

i always have it on in nvidia cp
cant stand tearing

No. Always no. It always induces some input lag just due to the way it functions in a conceptual manner. There is no good reason to have more input lag when you can have less.

> I don't feel any input lag lol

That's because you are an inferior being.

Look at this enormous faggot

>vsync locks the fps to 30

t-thanks dead space

>Look at this enormous faggot

Into the garbage it goes

Who are you quoting?

This.

If you use G-Sync or Freesync it's easier just to framecap at one fps beneath your refresh rate, that way V-Sync on/off never matters.

If Nvidia and no G-Sync, use Fast Sync instead. It's not perfect, but at least it prevents tearing without crazy input lag and the fps drops to half refresh rate.
It's best with very high framerates, like in CSGO, but it also works decently if you cap at refresh rate. Also seems to prevent tearing below refresh rate.
I hope AMD makes a similar feature soon.

One very smart Anonymous

It always has input lag

ALWAYS on. I can't stand any screen tearing, and it happens a lot without V-sync.

PS4 detected.

I sometimes turn it on just to force games to run at 60FPS and not higher. I only have a 60Hz monitor and I can notice framerate drops even at higher framerates, so VSync is a nice way to force it to stay at 60. The lack of screen-tearing is a bonus.

I must be a big fat retard idiot but I don't really ever notice screen tearing. Can someone post examples? I don't see any differences in OP pictures

That's because OP's picture is bait
But here you go. This is an example of what screen tearing looks like.

The fuck? Shouldn't it always be locked to your monitor refresh rate?

This is a good example.

Ah, thanks a bunch.

Input lag is unacceptable

Never use it unless you have bad screen tearing it should be off unless absolutely necessary. One of the main reasons I moved away from consoles entirely is because double buffered vsync is extremely common and the input lag is awful obviously there is rarely an option to ever turn either of these off.

some implementations of vsync can actually cut it in 2 afterwards
so if refresh rate = 60 you can have 30 fps with vsync on
not very common but some shitty ports have it

Only game where that actually matters is CSGO

That's not how vsync works retard, vsync renders a frame in advance so your screen won't tear because the frame was already rendered beforehand

Yeah, this is what >30< fps screen tearing looks like. The higher the framerate, the less noticeable it is. At 60 fps, it's barely even offset. At 100+ fps, you will not be able to identify it without there being stupid fast levels of motion in the game. IE - doing a 180 flick shot, you will see it for a brief split second before it goes away completely again.

NEVER sacrifice input lag to get rid of tearing. The only people who can make an argument are the console shitters where every game runs at 30 fps.

Before you jump in and call people retarded, please educate yourself. Dead Space is not the best port and uses V-sync 'Half Refresh Rate', meaning that if you have a 60hz monitor, like most people, you will only get 30fps.

To bypass this, turn off vsync in the game and force it through your GPU control panel

>mfw graphics card starts whining and having a stroke
>mfw realise a menu screen has uncapped framerates and I'm whipping my gpu-slave into pumping out several thousand fps

note that i said SOME implementations, like pointed out

This post has so much truth in it, give this guy a medal.

I usually just turn it on so my framerate caps at 144 because my PSU makes a high pitched squealing noise if it gets too high.

why is that a thing

Fucking STALKER

>game has a specific setting for capping fps in the menu to avoid this

Any amount of screen tearing disgusts me.
>doing a 180 flick shot, you will see it for a brief split second before it goes away completely again.
Even this would be unacceptable
I'd rather have 30fps and no screen tears than 60 with. I'm not joking. I won't go below 30 for anything though.
I always leave Vsync on unless the game is unplayable or drops below 30 with it on. I have my own warped set of standards.

just cap the FPS to monitor

It's actually the PSU that makes this noise. No idea why.

get 144hz monitor set it to off enjoy virtually non existent 3ms input lag and no tearing even at fps lower than 50
g-sync is literally the way for nvidia to make you buy $200 worthless chip bubble economy as they come
freesync is useful for 60hz monitors, most of them come with it these days and it's free

that's coil whine
to fix it you either live with it or buy new PSU

Turn it off in the game, force with your video card.

Coil whine is. GPU issue, is it not? I know from personal experience when it has to do with framerate it's the PSU.

>when it has to do with framerate it's the PSU

Confirmed? Because my PSU is a BFG Tech 1200w-EX. Thing is ancient, and looking to replace. Would you know of any brands that typically don't do coil whine?

Also, I'd be genuinely pissed at all the OCD cunts that RMA'd graphics cards dozens of times just because "MUH COIL WHINE"

EVGA supernova

my older corsair PSU never coil whined

Yes because I bitched to Corsair about it and they replaced my shitty PSU with a much better gold rated one for free. I haven't had the issue since.

Very few games have screen tearing anymore.

That's just cause you can't get a stable framerate in most games these days.

isn't it the opposite though? I thought capping it to 60 would give you the least amount of screen tearing because a higher frame rate than your refresh rate makes it worse.

There are some games that like to take more of your computer's resources than is entirely needed, even if their performance requirements are super low.

Using Vsync and a frame rate cap can help when some games, like Overwatch, like to eat up your toasters memory. So if games are immediately crashing once gameplay starts, I usually try turning Vsync on and capping the framerate at 60 to see if it stops.

>a higher frame rate than your refresh rate makes it worse
I don't see how

I think I read/heard that somewhere.

I think it was a digital foundry video, but I don't remember.

Gsync, because I shelled out like 700 euros for an XB270HU.

A year later and I'm still not sure if it was really worth it or not. It's a nice screen though.

vsync should be on for 99% of people. there are very few real-world cases where frame delay matters (and these are really obvious, like bugs in the renderer that cause extreme stutter, or the dead space issue that was mentioned). most of the others who insist on vsync off are just delusional tryhards who can't get good anyway. go ahead, ask any of the above posters where they are ranked in the games they play.

even a small bit of screen tearing is absolutely disgusting and will ruin the graphic fidelity of any game.

What causes screen tearing? Weak hardware?

Its always worth it.
The input delay gains are amazing, and so are the reduced frame stutter.

old monitors

2 frames showing up at the same time. You can get tearing at any frame rate.

Would use it in games with bad screen tearing before i got a 144hz monitor, if the screen tearing isnt awful you should keep it off.

If it reduces screen tearing, use it, if not, don't use.

>Fallout 4 halves your refresh rate for some reason and also can't be disabled unless you edit about in the .ini for a while.
>60hz monitors get capped at 30FPS while 120hz monitors get a cap of 20FPS for some reason

Thanks, Todd you fucking hack.

The way monitors work isn't very well setup once examinated.

>TURN IF OFF
>get tearing everywhere

No, you are retard.

There is a special vsync mode called ""Half refresh rate|

g-sync master race.

literally changed my life

>Street Fighter V PC
>Vsync forced by default
>Extra 16.6 ms of input lag
>Have to go into Nvidia Control Panel to turn off
>Massive screen tearing when off

>Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to vsync?

>input lag when on, turn off
>screen tearing when off, turn on
>input lag and screen tearing, you´re fucked

On with al singleplayer games.
It not only removes tearing but also looks much smoother.

I dont play competitive so dont care about the extra 2ms lag.

>2016
>not using z sync

Turn vsync on AND lock the fps to 60 with msi afterburner. It will reduce the input lag by a lot. I don't know why it works, but it does.

Having it on increaces input lag so it's a total no for action games or something like racing games, platformers and shit like that.

Notice how old consoles are devoid of tearing? That's because their hardware and video DAC was timed to sync frames on the television without accounting for what was actually happening inside the game, because SD was the only standard that mattered for those consoles. You effectively had to halt code wherever drawing on TV wasn't happening. That's exactly what V-Sync does, and that's why the game will run considerably slower or add input delays (input is basically code that checks for pressed buttons). Old games timed their framerate to the monitor, today's games time the framerate against the real time clock, which runs independently from the monitor.

Earlier on we had stuff like multiple-page screenbuffering, I'm not sure if it's used anymore.

>options are bad. I want all my decisions to be made for me

D3dOverrider

>Street Fighter V PC
>kernal access forced by default

Notice how old consoles are devoid of tearing? That's because their hardware and video DAC was timed to sync frames on the television without accounting for what was actually happening inside the game, because SD was the only standard that mattered for those consoles. You effectively had to halt code wherever drawing on TV was happening. That's exactly what V-Sync does, and that's why the game will run considerably slower or add input delays (input is basically code that checks for pressed buttons). Old games timed their framerate to the monitor, today's games time the framerate against the real time clock, which runs independently from the monitor.

Earlier on we had stuff like multiple-page screenbuffering, I'm not sure if it's used anymore.

>Look at this enormous faggot with low standarts

vsync is for screen tearing dummy, and limiting fps if there is no fps limit built in

If you're getting input lag from vsync then your computer isn't fast enough to be playing the game in the first place.

I have a 144hz monitor

>I want all my decisions to be made for me
Well yeah, I don't care to understand any more than I need to. Why bother, it's a video game, it's supposed to be fun

Whats there to understand? Do you want vsync on or off? It takes less than 10 seconds to click.

>vsync causes the framerate to rubberband between 30 and 60

Modern PC ports.

vsync by definition increases input lag

Actually you couldn't be more wrong. The higher your unlocked fps is, the more input latency will be introduced by vsync. Go play an old Source game with vsync off for a while, then turn it on. Shit load of lag right? disable vsync again and lock your fps with msi afterburner to say 70fps, then turn on vsync. The input latency is much lower.

No they all have vsycn implementation enabled by default

That's why when you lose framerate on console games you see massive slowdown

Whats the point of vsync when you can just limit the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor?

>turn off frame limiter
>game goes apeshit

im buying 160hz 35 inch ultra wide monitor next week, i wont be using v-sync, i always hated it, id rather have a little bit of tearing with super animation smoothness and zero input lag. It will have freesync tho buy i have nvidia graphics so it wont work.

You still get tearing when you do that. try it out for yourself.

Why don't we just use CRTs holy shit who's fuckin smart idea was it to swtich to LCDs.

But why

I feel the same way. I have the predator version and I don't really notice the gsync. It's a fantastic monitor though

I don't know.

I think the problem is that even if you force the game to run at the same refresh rate as your monitor, there's no guarantee that it's actually in sync. They didn't start their cycles at the same time, so they're out of phase, but since it's at least consistent it's less noticeable than one that's fluctuating wildly. The point of vsync is to buffer a complete frame so that it's always ready to be displayed at the exact moment the screen is ready to update. This is also why you get input lag, because you're always at least a frame behind.

Personally I thought these problems were already solved with triple buffering, where you have 2 buffered frames that can run unchecked until the screen refreshes and the gpu can pick the most recent complete one. As opposed to regular vsync where you buffer one frame, but can't continue producing more for fear of being left with an incomplete frame when the refresh happens since you only have the one buffer.

vsync has nothing to do with logic rates being tied to frame rates. input lag itself is by definition a separation of the game logic (which continues to run at speed) from the frame rate (which is delayed to you). the phrase "input delay" is a layman's misnomer since it is actually the output that is delayed.

someone with a weak back

we used to have a 36' crt tv, the biggest they made them before switching to rear-projection and we moved a couple times with it. god that thing weighed a fucking ton

Casuals did it, with their fascination for sleek looking bits of plastic. Faggots.

Tearing still can happen on CRT too
Just less noticeable

>Activating v-sync, ever

Anyways, how can you tell the differences between v-sync settings with still images? This is retarded.

>the feel when carrying the 25kg crt monitor to your friend's house for lan party

One good thing Payday 2 has going for it.

I lock it at 64 fps with afterburner