>>353008582

>tfw started playing during the Sunbreeze Festival back in 2005
>killing bats and skeletons under the stars while fireworks went off and this played
youtube.com/watch?v=qQ-E_mZca9M

It seems like such a silly memory, but I'll never forget it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jaKmkoy1r7o
youtube.com/watch?v=aEFjeL92VYw
youtube.com/watch?v=eJaFB4fk3dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4
youtube.com/watch?v=iesY1XssACM
youtube.com/watch?v=kzrmwcSizIY
youtube.com/watch?v=-if85nnGWMg
youtube.com/watch?v=gg4AgvupLeE
youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc
youtube.com/watch?v=jCuACriQKk8
youtube.com/watch?v=tFTNAsQq5dE
youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc
youtube.com/watch?v=B07XrxUuqaE
forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/222733/ffxi-vanadiel-census-a-consistent-500-000-pop
bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Abjurations
youtube.com/watch?v=hLabpUdgs1U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>running around with green "!"
>get red /tell
>(Excuse me...)(Party)(Do you need it?)
>(Yes, please) (Thank you)
>user invites you to join his party.

Those days are over...

youtube.com/watch?v=jaKmkoy1r7o

>on the boat for the first time
>die when octopus jumps on deck
>delevel
I miss it.

Fuck man I saw that picture and immediately thought of JEJ.

Go back to Nasomi, gramps.

>broken private server with literally nobody playing
No thanks

Reminds me of the time one of our linkshell mates got married in-game and held the party on the boat from Selbina to Mhaura when suddenly the music switched to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=aEFjeL92VYw
And we were attacked by pirates
Good times

>started playing way too late in the game's cycle, friend bought it for me in 2014 to buddy along with.
>got absorbed into the world after getting into it finally
>duoing the content with my buddy and, for some reason, enjoying the empty-of-players areas

I'm still sad I missed this game in its prime, still remember sitting in Mhaura and watching the ships come in and out of port.
youtube.com/watch?v=eJaFB4fk3dQ

>A boo boo, my shitty Everquest clone is ded :((((99999999
XI was garbage, the only good thing was it had horizontal progression

Do you still play the official servers?

epic

I used to, I sort of closed the lid on it this year after hitting a point of "well, I need to be overleveled to duo through the content but I still want a challenge". I didn't know what to really do, but I still have it installed just in case. Who knows.

Audolin is kind of a miniature version of what the whole game was in ToAU days. Yeah it sucks that they had to obsolete a lot of content since NOT doing that was one of the things that made the game special, but it's still better than a lot of onlin egames today. cough14cough

so nothing but incredibly boring bosses that are "just kite it?"
ToAU meta was shit outside of Salvage, Zilart was the peak

Doesn't the game have at least one competent pserver?

Is there a way to play this game offline/solo?

I kinda want to experience the story and world but I don't want to pay a monthly fee, spend a lifetime or rely on other people's schedules to do it.

Yes it's called the official servers, you can do most of the old content with NPC buddies now

That doesn't solve anything user.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, you asked if there was a way to play the game solo and that's it unless you just want to watch it on YouTube.

Maybe get a job if 10 bucks a month is an impossible barrier of entry for you

Image kind of reminded me of Anarchy Online, which was a better MMORPG than FFXI in every aspect.

>farm Jaggedy eared jack with level 30
>after the 3rd try, it drops the the rabbit Charm
>sold it for 11 million
I used the money as a low level MNK to level up my cooking. Shit was cash since there was an exploit that let you cook stuff with NPC ingredients and sell the cooked stuff for roughly 23% more gil, which for some reason never got fixed
I stopped the game with cooking level 100 and around 45 million gil. Felt good to have money.
A shame that I never got into the expansion pack questlines. Got MNK and WHM to level 75 but never went anywhere deep.

Ironically the fact that I have a job and other responsibility is actually the impossible barrier not a lack of money.

I just can't devote big contiguous chunks of time to any game and MMOs in general often very demanding and if you're playing with anyone else there is a commitment you have to make with them that you're both going to play for x period of time and that's something I just can't provide. I have to be able to drop the game at any second which basically rules out any online games especially ones where you have to rely on other people.

mmo's are somewhat counter intuitive in that regard
>have to pay a monthly subscription which is most of the time a huge chunk of ones allowance and thus kind of a deal breaker
or
>have the money and no time to play it freely

don't do this it's only 2pm I can't start drinking yet

I want to farm that rabbit

>mfw FF11 fags will never ever get DQX

youtube.com/watch?v=dxaRxjcvIR4

I've given up that I'll even experience a world as good as FFXI again but there's one thing I can't let go.

>Culturally unique Mithra were replaced with generic choose-your-own-backstory Miquo'tes.
>All fanartists moved from drawing Mithra to Miquo'te.
>Even images that have a Mithra/Miquo'te crossover aren't tagged with FF11 because no one knows their stuff

Don't remind me. I want to play that game so badly

10 bucks a month for a dead game is pretty steep.

What is this, some Xenoverse mod?

what even is the difference between mithras and miquotes?
I know you can be a negro cat in ff14 but aside from that, there isnt that much of a difference, atleast I havent seen that

Anyone still play or interested in playing again?
I'd love to get a group together to play

>Played FFXI during its prime
>Crippling depression and loneliness made me use FFXI as a way to actually talk to people for once
>Helping random players in Qufim all day
>End up getting known on the server for a bit I guess
>Went from Dragoon to Paladin because online friend didn't know how to tank even remotely and I didn't know how to be a Dragoon
>Spend all my free time helping people in Qufim
>Can't go back even if it was an option because I only got out of my addiction by pretending something happened to me in real life
And no other MMO filled that void left either.

If only Toriyama didn't have the ugliest art style to influence shounen

Mithra just had a coherent design philosophy to them, they were mischievous and playful amazons, they had a feral streak to their personalities. Aesthetically, they had athletic bodies and catlike noses, and a manner of dress which highlighted their amazonian culture.

Miquo'te are just waifu generator products, alf the fanart decks them out with piercings and tattoos and gives them clothing that wouldn't look out of place in a 14 year old's deviantart page.

To me the big difference is giving a structured backstory and setting to roleplay within vs just making your ideal sexy mary sue

A lot of us are waiting to see what happens with the mobile reboot of FFXI that's supposed to be coming out next year.

Everything up through Chains of Promathia is being redeveloped. They're balancing it for 3 player parties instead of 6 player parties, and they're looking to keep the Auction House system, but move HNMs and NMs to a monster hunting system instead of world spawns.

i am fresh 119 DNC with trash accessories on asura, also wanna have COR and RDM eventually.

You can say the same for pretty much every race in FFXIV versus their original FFXI counterparts.

I'm still mad that we'll never get another elvish race that broke away from DnD and Tolkien fantasy staples as hard as the Elvaan did.

Elvaan were some strange mix of Scottish Knight and French Catholic society. They lived in a castle city, had a rich history of holy Paladins and Dragoons, were arrogant nobles, and weren't hippy dippy magical forest people.

Is the linkshell you're in currently accepting returning players?
Just came back after a break and the linkshell I used to be in is dead
Would love to actually have people to talk to

I still have the base game CD-ROM box. I wish their f2p system wasn't total shit

I also wish they're make AO 2 already instead of fucking Conan and SJW Tale 2

They also had the longest necks and unusually long arms.

Its "the /vg/ linkshell". which means it's dead, too :( I think the sackguy is still around though, so technically yes.

> starter zone music
Gustaberg > Sarutabaruta > Ronfanure

Get fucked knife ears.

Ah, I kinda figured that's what it was sadly
I was in that one too for awhile until it eventually died
Just trying to find a linkshell to chill and do things with

I hope that mobile port of XI ends up being serviceable. XIV is a disappointment, so this is the only MMO I can look forward to.

Gustaberg is literally the worst city

Good thing it isn't a city then.

>turn 25 WHM
>spend my downtime hanging around Valkurm Dunes rezzing people for free during my downtime
I miss feeling like there was a community in an MMO.

>t. I'm only smart enought to play WoW and WoWclones

>Bastok scum

youtube.com/watch?v=iesY1XssACM

youtube.com/watch?v=kzrmwcSizIY

>tfw I remember my first time logging in to the PS2 beta way back in the day
>tfw I remember how sad the final night of the beta was when we all went down into the heavens tower basement and waited it out together

over 14 years ago, man that was something

But horizontal progression is a big fucking deal especially since no one does it now. I don't even understand how it isn't the genre standard

;_;

I'm sorry your zones were literally the worst zones in the game with the worst music knife ear. Enjoy your complete irrelevance when the only knife ears worth a damn came from a colony and the other is a half knife ear.

You can see/do 95% of the story related stuff alone. There are NPC helpers you can summon at any time in place of actual people who will help you level up, kill monsters, etc.

That said it's still a very time consuming game, especially if you're not familiar with it. You could very well spend an hour just figuring out how to get from point A to point B in a quest. Which can be part of the appeal for some people, it's not a "on-rails" movie experience. More of an open world to discover/investigate/research.

>he played with a controller
I remember when your lot were let to play. You fuckers and your lack of keyboards literally didn't ruin the game as much as I thought you would.

It's almost like the game was made with care and they tried to make controller support work well.

Controllerfags on FFXIV are a hell of a lot worse.

Raising someone at that level is a waste of time. The xp loss at those levels is so small that you would make it back faster than raise sickness would wear off.

Well it was built as a PS2 game first. FFXI worked perfectly with a controller. Fuck I was a PC player and I still used a controller for everything except macros.

I really wish this game went free to play. I absolutely still love the retail servers, leveling alone is actually pretty fun in my opinion.

It just doesn't seem worth the monthly sub when I can have a similar experience in an offline RPG.

>mechanics are the only concern
Nah man, people were usually really grateful. It either meant they could keep the party from breaking up or they didn't have to trek all the way back out there.

Believe it or not, FFXI wasn't just about maximizing every stat as efficiently as possible.

Bastok is awful and Gustaberg is whatever but Gustaberg's music is god tier

i don't know you could be talking about a no-sub from windurst who only just saw the valkurm dunes for the first time before being cruelly cut down and warped all the way back home. it could take them days to recover from that.

Nobody does it now because it's an outdated concept and any MMO that does do it dies quickly to vertical progression MMOs.

>they didn't have to trek all the way back out there
If you didn't set your HP in Selbina or in the dunes when your nation had conquest there it's your own damn fault.

That's a different argument. I'm specifically talking about in an XP party situation.

FFXI does vertical progression now.
Did you even know the level cap was raised?

I'm sure you're a blast to be around.

FFXI had the coolest res animations

How is it outdated aside from the fact that it actually requires the devs to think about balance instead of scamming people into resubbing every few months?

There's still horizontal progression at iLevel 119 now though

they went back to horizontal at ilvl 119.

I was dogshit at this game but I played it a lot and made a few friends along the way. I haven't played many MMOs but I feel that XI forced me to talk to people more than other MMOs do.

Horizontal Progression is designed for NEETs with too much time on their hands that can farm for a year to get a single item.

With how obtuse FFXI's progression is, people left the game to go play games like WoW and FFXIV. Hence why FFXI servers were dead before Abyssea ruined everything.

You sound like one of those retards who would hold up an entire party from leveling because "i don't set my home point anywhere but a city so I can warp faster. Find me a raise." Fuck those guys.

I fucking love Bastok, but let's not kid ourselves friend.

Ronfaure (Running into orcs in the fog while running through a forest was top-tier shit) > Sarutabaruta (That music was mad comfy for a starter area) > Gustaberg (The flute and crescendo of the song are fantastic, but the song never looped as well as the other two)

You just answered your own question.

Nobody sticks around in a MMO unless there's actual progression.
There's no money in it either so publishers and developers won't bother.

It's outdated because the MMO genre lives only because it swindles.

Jokes on you, I had one of these bad boys.

Got into the game in 2002 when I was a teenager.
Played it for a year. Since it was my first MMO I never got far in the game.
But the feeling of wandering huge landscapes was great.
When I tried WoW it felt really segmented and limited in comparison.

>nobody sticks around in an MMO unless there's actual progression
>FFXI was around for 14 years

The game was up for 14 years but servers been ghost towns for nearly 6 years now.

Oh I'm sorry, only 8 years then. Like that matters.

I started FFXI during a time when I was suffering from crippling depression, that's why I never got far in the game.
I felt even more lonely and isolated in FFXI than in the real world.

I did macros with a controller and no one knew the fucking difference

Constantly switching my fucking equipment for different weapon skills, I basically had that shit to muscle memory

>400k subscribers at best
>versus 8+ million on WoW and 1+ million for korean MMOshit
FFXI came around before WoW changed everything.

WoW is the modern standard.
FFXI is old hat.
FF14 is shit hat

A couple of the servers are still fairly populated believe it or not, one of them being Asura
But I do feel bad for a lot of the other servers, who are pretty much dead
Really makes me wonder why SE hasn't just merged all the servers into 1 or 2

I never understood the appeal of FFXI. The game was such a pain in the ass to play. Had to go through hoops to access PlayOnline, navigating the world was painfully slow and you had to wiki the most basic info the game doesn't even give you the curtesy to tell you. It felt like one big chore to play instead of sitting down after work and relaxing.

Because that concept doesnt work with current MMO's consumer market, aswell as making it "easier" for devs to pump out cheap content to fill thetime for the next expansion/massive update.

It's back to horizantal progress now, actually quite a bit of ilvl content, though none of it holds a candle to the classic stuff.

You say that like you think I care about the trash that people eat up from the MMO space today.

(You)

I bet you play FFXIV ARR.

>It's another FFXI players are mad that FFXIV killed their game thread

The real FFXI died well before XIV got released, pal.

Aside from POL being an admittedly stupid chore to play, it was meant to be played with people, shocking i know, if you wanted to play solo you were fucked fairly early in. And we didnt always have wikisfor everything user, those were good times theorycrafting up spawn times/conditions/quest flags/etc.

In short it was "the journey" meme, game was magical once you made some friends, and started moving.

>Wight spawns on the deck
>hide in the cabin shitting my pants

To each their own
I always found XI to be relaxing to play
I have fond memories of chilling in Jeuno or the Whitegates talking to my linkshell while waiting for a party
I also liked how you felt like a tiny insect in the world and how a lot of the areas were huge and dangerous to explore

Where are you getting that XIV killed XI?
XI was dying years before XIV

k subscribers at best
They reported >500k for like 5 years straight

I think the official reason is that some people enjoy being on small servers and they don't want to just toss all those people into larger servers where they aren't happy. During the AMA they said they want to wait until a majority of people are asking for merges before doing it.
They also said they would consider more expansions but we all know that will never happen ;-;

Modern gamers in a nutshell

They'd rather wiki what to do or have a giant fucking arrow pointing out the objective than take some time to explore and make mistakes. Hell, even having to read a journal that tells you where to go is now too much for you fucking retards

I don't give a shit what you care about even though you're correct to feel that way

You asked how it was outdated, I told you how.

To be fair FFXI's quest hints were fucking garbage, but that was mostly cause they wanted the players to ask around, and, do that thing people playing MMOs used to do, think it was called socializing?

>Fucking MMO players who wiki stuff instead of dying repeatiedly and losing exp and time played amirite?

Fuck off you NEET loser

youtube.com/watch?v=-if85nnGWMg
youtube.com/watch?v=gg4AgvupLeE

The travelling music in this was so good.

LEAPING LIZARD HERE HELP ME

Nearly all the music was great. FFXI is the best FF soundtrack ever.

You are the cancer that killed MMOs.

It's called exploring and not having handed to you in a silver plate.

I managed to play XI back in 2006 just fine with high school and a part time job.

FFXI got killed by time just like we all are

XI killed XI, it was long before ARR was a thing

>I'll never again experience being so sucked into a game's atmosphere and community that I don't even realize how addicted I am to it for 3 years
>I'll never again meet random mithras that will cyber me in exchange for armor
>I'll never again torture myself by farming NMs for dozens of hours and finally being rewarded and feeling like a king
>I'll never again get a linkshell to randomly help me with the RotZ storyline all because they thought I was a decent Red Mage, have no idea what I'm in for and then make it to Ru'Aun Gardens and be blown away, basically fighting gods in heaven regularly
>I'll never again see players with an Excalibur and Defending Ring etc. and wonder how that's even possible
>I'll never again trek through unknown forests, deserts, and caves with no real concern for time

K I L L M E

People had to socialize in FFXI because that was the most fun part of the game. Nobody actually played FFXI for the dial up speed combat or awful grind.

>just like we all are

I miss my Samurai. Sky gods were good times.

Fair enough.

Oh man I remember the days camping that shit at 4 am.

Or that one in Dunes that was a bitch to get.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ZkVv4pJqNc

Even the launcher had amazing music

>[ Meat ] [ Shield ] [ Please ]

Dumb FFXIV ARR shitter

(Penta Thrust) (hot shot) (rear) (Yes, please)

FFXI was a Everquest clone that was dumbed down for PS2

>{Galkan Sausage} {Penta thrust} {Mithra} {back door} {can I have it?}

>Waiting two hours for a group as Death Knight
>Get there and they only play for 30 minutes before everyone dies and spends 30 minutes regrouping
>We lose our camp to another group
>Disband

>tfw you missed your chance to ever cyber a Mithra

t. Shit player who needs someone how to min/max his build

Obviously, that was the appeal of most MMOs round that time, personally didnt mind the combat speed since it linked back to being able to socialize, combat was slow and mostly menu based, with plenty of time to talk and type. And it did have some depth, least til people figured it all out and it just became zerg2win tier. THe level 50-75 grind though was indeed awful, specially pre-AU, fuck everything if you got a bad healer for courels

Oops, meant dark knight.

Poor fella.

>[Be right back!] [Food]
>[Lie] [Jerkin] [Polearm]

>paying a monthly sub fee to use a chat room

This is FFXI player logic

I play on Asura when there are free weeks, but I'm only like level 55 or something. I want to resub eventually, but it seems that will only happen when the planets align and I end up with money and free time.

>you will never again sit in town for hours whispering every high level Japanese player in the vicinity hoping one will help with a quest

>There is any sort of difference between WoW/ Everquest/ FF XI

And this is why MMOs are shit.
Ultima Online should've been the base for the genre, but Blizzard had to fuck it all up.

No, that's FFXIV for all you weebshitters. The end game is so piss easy you spend the rest of the week to login, not chat or jis circle jerk with your FC, the log off after your "dailies".

You couldn't be more wrong, underage.

And XI was actually fun to explore instead of your small dick 50 meter zones with P S 3 LIMITATIONS with leasing mobs with no sense of threat or overworld atmosphere.

(You)

>that one time when VGCats used to actually be kinda funny

I remember trying to get help for my fucking AF gear.

Tomberrys are literally the worst. I cant even remember the name of the jungle area but fuck that area.

hahaha why are you so mad?

>P S 3 LIMITATIONS
To be fair FFXI had PS2 LIMITATIONS.

>You could very well spend an hour just figuring out how to get from point A to point B in a quest. Which can be part of the appeal for some people, it's not a "on-rails" movie experience.
Which would be fine in a normal Final Fantasy game. I can play any of the single player games just fine the problem is the contiguous nature of the time needed to play. I can play games in spurts and I can even play games for hours but I have to be able to drop it at a moment's notice. With normal Final Fantasy games that's not an issue with an online game though you can't just stop playing in the middle of a boss fight or quest with friends. People depend on you as much as you depend on them which is just an impossible commitment for me.

Funny thing is the only reason I started reading VGcats was because of the FFXI stuff.

Then they moved on to generic gamer stuff.

Nah I loved this music. Always called it the "ting ta ting" music. Would chill out in Windurst just to listen to it while chatting with pals in linkshell.

We can never go back as long as we have:
>instanced content
>dungeon finder

That kills any sense of community a game could have.

Haha why are you shitposting when you can filter the thread shitter?

Still had/has bigger world and zones in size than FFXIV "please understand I am shit Yoshi" ARR.

Bring back Tanaka!

dude they wuz kuluu an shit, dont hate on tonberry.

>>dungeon finder

Worst invention ever. I enjoyed the part of XIV beta when it wasn't implemented yet.

Summons looked great though.

Certain stuff like Dynamis should have been instanced though

Droping PS2 support was the best thing they ever did

>that last panel

God one of my most painful memories playing FFXI was when I had to leave suddenly at the most awkward time possible for the group and got everyone super pissed off. It was almost immediately after someone else left the group in order to make room for another person to join so if I left just a few minutes earlier they could have stayed and kept going.

stop being mad you FFXI NEET, Yoshi did more for ARR than Tanaka did for FFXI.

How many tries did it take you Cred Forums?

Took me 4 with Samurai. And about 30k worth of items.

>FFXI
>200-400k for nearly a decade and still going with 20-50k since

>Korean shit
>popular for a month and then dead
>korean publisher deletes it by the end of the year for the next korean cashshop game

>yoshi
>doing anything but copying WoW and lying

good one user

I always managed my first try even without items.

I just read up on the fight.

BLM, one-shot I was so worried about it I bought all the items I could and much sure to read up on him.

The game originally was only on PS2, I don't believe they opened the beta up to PC at all.

Everyone had a keyboard anyway.

Doesnt matter user, WoW struck gold and kept striking it for yrs, so companies will mass produce til they hit the same spot, long term viablity be damned.

he had no choice to copy WoW since that's the #1 MMO ever made.

he's lucky that FFXIV ended up being a huge major success.

>mfw I had to wait two hours between tries for my ability to come of CD

my first try as a BLM my second sleep didn't stick and he one shotted me. bad times

Because it doesn't lend itself to private servers, especially not pre-90/99 and no one wants to play a post FFXIV 1.0 FFXI because tanaka ruined it as his last move as a veil attempt to get them to switch to FFXIV

You simply can't have a good XI server without lots of people. You need them to make the economy, you need them to keep new players able to party and new player zones churning with parties.

And you need lots of them for HNMs and all the endgame shit.

It was made for team play, solo is just not a real option unless you restrict yourself to a small part of the game and a terrible grind with a BLM or some shit.

>popular for a month and then dead
>korean publisher deletes it by the end of the year for the next korean cashshop game
The trick is this is how they are designed and budget/effort is allocated accordingly

2 as a Paladin.
Only reason why 2 is because my internet went out in the middle of the first fight and I had to farm again.

6 tries as RDM. So fucking satisfying to finally knock that fucker to the ground.
One time he got Blink off before I could get Sleep to stick. That was a quick run. Time to go farm that testimony again.

Plugging a keyboard into a PS2 worked since you didn't need a mouse for FFXI.

Got stuck with Raughban instead, took 3 tries cause fuck early blue magic, proceeded to clear maat on every other job np.

Don't disagree they had to to have any hope of recuperating the losses from initial XIV, still the guy hasnt done much else besides that and lie.

What is the best job and why is it BLU?

>that utter dead zone post AU

Those were some terrible times, dont know why i stuck through with it

XI funded many games for SE, it's hardly a failure.

Sure WoW made more by a metric ton, but XI was very successful and stable at that which is what's needed to bring in massive profits.

I hear FFXIV already fell to like 200k and it's only been what? 1-2 years since 2.0? 1.0 was a massive failure and they completely didn't capture what XI had nor continued it like XI players wanted.

He's probably talking about how the PC version came out first in the west

5 as RDM here. 1/5 Maat, 5/5 solo tests.

FFXIV is up to 600k worldwide
roughly half that amount has seen the final cutscene of heavensward's dragonsong war and beat Nidhogg.

^ look at all the butthurt you caused, you meanie

I hate Korean MMOs purely because I know they are designed to be recycled. They have companies that come out with new MMOs practically every year.

It must be pretty profitable tho if they keep doing that instead of making a game that actually is good and not an eternal grind to no reward.

>XI funded many games for SE, it's hardly a failure.

XI LITERALLY saved SE from going under.

You already named it user, though AI fixed PUP is pretty fucking close

Not saying it wasnt, but it didnt rake in those huge numbers WoW did so from a business execs standpoint, its not as good. Everyone knows XI kept SE going for a long, long time, and were upset with how they just dropped the game post AU to work on other things, then rush the game to an "end", find out their new mmo flopped hard, then try to scramble back and save face til they can salvage it again

BLU was amazing. too bad no one ever wanted me in their parties haha. I had so many armor swaps for that job. hunting for spells was also pretty fun IMO. I remember trying to get battery charge for 4 hours before realizing I learned it off the 2nd one I fought. I had to log off and cry after that embarrassment.

>I hear FFXIV already fell to like 200k
FFXIV is probably around where FFXI was at the same point, the 200k number is not necessarily indicative of subs. Also it's already been 3 years since ARR. Time flies when you're not having fun I guess

Shame they still charge for a membership.

They should just go fuck it and let it go F2P

(You)

Again, I played for 2 years. High school senior, varsity baseball, part time job. College freshman, fraternity pledge.

Eat shit, and I got to level 70 before I had to quit to focus on my degree.

Yoshi made FFXIV in to a soulless WoW clone.

>spend hours on hours farming spells
>test them out
>theyre shit
>keep repeating this

Granted the good spells blu had, were fucking good but man pre 76 blu spells were so hit and miss, i still loved it though.

They should make legacy subs count for both games.

I bet you got a lot of pussy in highschool and college playing FFXI bro

I'm glad that you at least understand common decency when it comes down to cooperative online games, but if you have difficulties playing them, maybe you should just not play them. An offline FFXI would be pretty neat, though.

yeah and some spells you NEEDED to have equipped to get skills from like the refresh effect among others I can't think of right now.

Summoner was the best.

>newbies will never send you a /tell to summon Diablos again to show him off

Feels bad man

Why did everyone get so mad when I would check their equipment? They acted like I was sniffing their butts or something.

It still makes them money, they will never let it go until it's time to close.

Honestly XI upkeep is probably nothing. I remember NCSoft showing their costs for their MMOs and it was barely noticeable. Plus XI probably doesn't even have a team anymore, any new content is probably done by some lackee from XIV team

Every so often I click on Cred Forums, which I rarely browse and there's a FFXI thread.

Instant nostalgia over-whelms me. So many memories, good times playing this game and they're all gone. What made FFXI so special was the people playing it, the game itself was a massive grindfest, but it was so different from other MMOs of the time. It required intense cooperation between players to accomplish many tasks in the game, which led to great friendships along the way.

I played on the PS2 then PC from ~2005 to 2008, then again in 2012 for a few months. It had changed so much when I played it again, none of my old friends played anymore so I eventually just gave up after doing some of the abyssea content and leveling a couple jobs to 99. It just wasn't the same, what made it special were the people you played with, and it's all gone now...

Did anyone else play on Fairy server?

/me examines you.

I wanted to like Summoner, but when I found out that the most effective way to play it was to just summon your thing for a few seconds to buff everyone before dismissing it I got super put off

The worst were the nukes though, specially AoE nukes
>Hey, i know, lets make this spell cost 150+ MP, take 4+ seconds to cast, have the AoE centered on the caster, and lastly make it do the damage of a tier 2 spell, and just to make sure they use it, lets make it a trait combo for something like attack bonus or frefresh

Then there was stupid shit like 1k needles, fuck that spell

Try playing a ninja or ranger.

I leveled both as my first jobs when I hit 30 and jesus christ, so much money.

Had to shell out so much cash to tank for people.

>tfw my only picture from FFXI that I still have is me pulling King Behemoth from those bot taggers

I was in a linkshell that was in the argument for best on the server and the vast majority of our members were either married and/or worked a full time job. We even had a few couples meet through the game and end up getting married.

While you may be used to MMO players as being little bratty kids from your time in WoW you have to understand that FFXI was such a heavily community based game that it was only really played by people who were decent human beings and generally slightly older folk. If you weren't polite and a team player you'd literally not be able to progress.

I had a blast with XI, since its release in US, and until all LS friends moved to 1.0, then 2.0! It had a charm XIV just doesn't have, which I think is a huge reason why I've gotten so bored with XIV, and have now recently put it down with little to no interest in returning.

While the talk of redoing XIV into 2.0, and 1.0 shutting down for its rebirth. I remember wondering how they'd change the game.. I remember while waiting for 2.0 beta, I played the demo of Dragon's Dogma, and thought how cool 2.0 would be if the combat was more like that.. I truly wished it gone that route more so, after playing Dragon's Dogma online with a friend of mine in Japan. Take a look at videos of sorcerers and priest, and imagine playing Black Mage, and White Mage like that.. Look at the Alchemist job which is more punchy, and imagine Monk.

Imagine the combat like DDO, but with the things that made FFXI so deep.. Like the skill chains, and magic burst, taking the limit breaks that are unfortunately shared on XIV, and make them more like the ultimate abilities in Elder Scrolls Online, where its an individual move.. The elemental wheel that adds more strategy... I loved playing PLD, or WHM and causing something undead to become intimidated, paralyzing it for a sec, or throwing a cure spell on it.. It felt damn good. Their excuse for not doing these things in XIV is "we don't want to hurt other players, feeling they need this or that to complete something".. Poor excuse, Duty finder is duty finder, if you want specific stuff, people do the party finder, then will put specifics in there, as I've seen people want certain jobs already.

Because you get that message

>user Examined you.

Its basically raping people with your eyes.

I had a friend leveling pld so i just leveled my NIN as a DD/off-tank

Shit was fun, and honestly level 40-60 NIN with proper kits is a damn good DD with nukes and good shurikens

>try FFXIV every few months on their free trial to see how things are
>always try to try all the classes
>everytime it feels so dull and boring
>no one talks
>no one parties outside of dungeons
>dungeon parties are dead silent, may as well be npcs

It always just turns me off, I typically stop being my trial is up.

Plus no BST,BLM,PUP.

What were they thinking?

Another thing I loved about XI was how the gear was done.. In XIV the gear is so boring, and doesn't feel unique.. Grind tomes to get gear that is pretty much like the last thing you grinded tomes for, but its got a higher item level so that's good put it on... Lame. It feels too much is thrown at you too soon, and things become so useless and all the same.. I loved how certain pieces of gear enhanced certain spells, and abilities or traits.. It made you feel good to go into battle like that, and I didn't mind holding on to that weapon, or piece of gear until I got something better. I remember killing Ifrit extreme on XIV, and I got his book.. I thought, how cool it would be if his book which looks cool, enhanced Ifrit in some way when I summoned him... I didn't need it, because the book I had, was higher item level, so it was useful only for glamour reasons, as nobody else needed or wanted it. It felt good as a BLM casting Flare, and swapping to that HQ flame staff, giving Flare a little boost. Or giving Carbuncle a boost, with he light staff, or my cures.

I remember getting my sword in XI, which would soon turn into the Tizona for my BLU. It felt awesome finally unlocking that.. Not only did I get a new weapon, which looked beautifully designed and not just glow pretty. But it gave that nice occasional conversion of damage to MP, AND gave me a new move. In XIV my NIN and SCH zeta were just better than the tome stuff, but the tome stuff would have been just as nice- and then when the expansion came out, the zeta were immediately useless, and for quite a long time. I didn't bother going for the new weapon in XIV, as it just feels like a waste to me.

In XIV 2.0 I had every job at 50 already at start (having leveled in 1.0). I remember crafting the nice staves for WHM, BLM, other weapons, and armor for other jobs. Immediately it felt like a waste, because the tome stuff was in, so whatever was crafted was not going to be powerful like the tome gear.

>examine japanese player on airship
>he starts spam examining me and sends me something in japanese via /tell
>start spamming him back
>we both start spamming each other the whole airship flight

lmao

>NIN as a DD/off-tank

WHY DID YOU GET TO LIVE MY DREAM

The jobs.. Again they felt more unique in XI, and kinda lazy in XIV.. Summoner feels feels like a lazy copy of Scholar, and should have used a staff or rod and not a book. The summons, should have been main focus of the job- and the other abilities should have been SCH only, when SCH flipped to that damage side as it did in XI.. SMN should have started out using elements as pets, earth, fire, water ect.. Then at 30 start getting the famous ones, starting with Carbuncle, would have also been nice if they actually didn't look cute, and something that needed to be protected, but more serious looking, as they did in XI.. Killing the extreme primals, would give your primal a new move.

Bard should have been all about the instruments, not using a bow which made me think oh I guess they won't add Ranger now. Bard should have been that awesome support, with a kick giving it damaging song.. Giving Aero, and Stone to WHM, while taking it away from BLM, makes absolutely no sense to me.. WHM dot should have been Dia.

Exploration.. Yeah traveling in XI was definitely painful at times, and then waiting for someone to get back to you if they forgot to talk to someone, or get an item needed.. Exploration in XIV feels limited because of how the dungeons are set up.. In XI I loved exploring a dungeon, seeing new parts, maybe killing a notorious monster, and getting whatever awesome thing it may drop, and then maybe end up in another part of the a map.. It was so fun being able to go through Kuftal Tunnel, then ending up in Cape Terrigan, where we'd often skill up, or do the books.. The way the dungeons are set up in XIV, feels like a ride at an amusement park, that gets boring, and has no exploration.. I don't mind the instanced areas for a raid dungeon or even a primal fight, but for normal dungeons, it just feels so boring.

>Get DNC and RDM to 71
>Feel burnt out
>Get WAR to 49 to sub with DNC
>Still feel burnt out
The game feels really really nice even if it got casualized as hell though.

Would be nice to go into a dungeon see some people in there maybe killing enemies for XP, see a FATE going on in a dungeon, FATEs in dungeons being tougher.. Deeper within the dungeon the enemies become nastier, and if you have a quest, or just want to complete the dungeon killing the boss mobs, you travel deeper inside.. It just feels lazy the way its done.

I don't hate XIV, but it feels like the game has been put in a box, that it will be hard to get out of, as other MMO come out.. Because of the box they have put themselves in, it just makes the game feel so boring. I am interested in seeing how the game changes, and what they may be able to do once PS3 support is over, but right now its just lost my interest.

Because he owed me for playing as a healer for our previous grinding session, and i fucking hate healing in parties. Sorry user

Midgardsormr was best server

Still can't believe they merged it and lost the name.

>Mythics
Man the journey fucking sucked but the payoff for most jobs was grand, unlike relics which were basically a glorified dmg weapon with no big perks. Shame they never got it right after that

>mfw getting a magic burst with Flare

Instant aggro and death was worth it to see those quad digits.

the zeta in FFXIV lasted for 9 fucking levels what the fuck are you smoking.

Isn't DNC like the new meta sub now?

Literally does everything

>play as thief
>friend is warrior
>other friend is black mage
>we party leveled up around ronfaru
>get to valkruum for first time
>enemies are strong, find out we actually have to party up with a healer
>warrior friend refuses to tank saying that the thief should tank instead
>after bitching and arguing with him because he has taunt, I tank, and obviously lose aggro
>warrior friend gets bitched at by the healer we invited
>he ends up quitting the game at level 12
cya pal

Not sure, but DNC main is pretty fun.

It's the go-to sub if you can dodge tank or have some form of shadows, ala SAM or NIN, or are just fighting fodder that wont kill you in 4-5 hits

I am actually surprised how the community is on Nasomi.

People willing to help with things that takes hours with the understanding that you should pay it forward later.
Feels like a time warp compared to MMO communities nowadays.

mythics were pretty garbage and not worth the effort, the ones I remember actually standing out were the SMN, and DRG weapons

>he ends up quitting the game at level 12

>9 fucking levels
That's not a good thing when leveling 50-60 took like 3-4 days

>Game has Warrior
>Warrior has to take hits for the party
Shit design.

>Setting your HP to anywhere but Jueno/Your Home City pre-OP warping ie 2005

Full Retard.

After OP warping was enabled on all servers(because lol at the servers who couldn't kill the HNMs, and it admittedly became one of the core traveling features in the game)

BLU/PUP/THF/COR/SMN/DRG/WAR(kinda, think relic was still better), think BST was pretty good too but bst didnt care about weapons much, RDM was alright just for the convert gimmick but not worth it in the long run. Ah and PLDs was pretty sweet too, every one else im not too sure on

Warrior is only a tank at lower levels, it becomes a heavy DD later on, though it can tank it's not as good as NIN or PLD.

Aren't warriors known for their tankyness in the fantasy genre?

Blue Mage and Puppetmaster were the some of the most interesting classes in any RPG I've ever played

>Missing the airship by a couple seconds and watching it fly away
>Already paid entrance fee so can't go and browse AH to kill time

Yeah, but players did wonky shit with the tools they were given in XI, like Ninjas being one of the two main tanking classes.

I don't know why the devs felt the need to make it so that it tells the guy when you look at their gear.

What if Cred Forums made their own XI private server?

It would be full of faggot memers like yourself.

The Achilles heel of every private server is that they are _never_ populated enough. It doesn't matter how many you make; it just won't be the same.

I was probably the youngest one in my linkshell back when I played. I was like 13-14 and it was ran by a married couple.

because Cred Forums is too busy talking shit about games that no one would actually play on the private server

Be honest user's, did anyone ever get a chance to try this out?

Was it actually the worthy of most expensive and sought after weapon in the game or just a meme weapon?

is retail still populated or is it dead? what are the player numbers?

Prime XI wouldn't function without 1000~2000 players on at any given time, which is why private servers don't work well. As much as I dislike the changes made to the official servers, they were necessary to keep the game playable with the lower population

that line
>the fuckers that refused to lineup or take in parties

>Nobody does it now because it's an outdated concept and any MMO that does do it dies quickly to vertical progression MMOs.

Nobody does it because its piss easy to shit out content with the intent of making older content obsolete. You won't see shit like Salvage, Dynamis, in MMOs nowadays because that is a huge workload for content you plan on making obsolete in the next patch/expansion. That's one of the biggest problems XIV in particular has, is they keep wanting to make supplementary content for people who don't raid/do Extreme Primals/ect. but the rewards are shit because lolRaidGear has to be da bes. So no one does the content because the itemization scheme makes it literally pointless to do so.

If you werent a DRK or a pre level cap raise RNG, it was largely a meme weapon

it became a meme when the Blood Weapon + soul eater nerfs hit

just because raidgear is the best doesnt mean that the content is pointless

>tfw i will never get the kraken club and meme things as RNG
>tfw never will tank AV with kraken club + DRK pre-nerf

Nope. I remember when one on my server (Fairy) sold for something like 60 million gil though. I was never that rich in the game, it was fucking amazing to see. I think the most gil I ever had was like 2 million.

Also, be honest, how many of you bought gil back in the day? I know I did, it was the only way to make money quickly because of the chink item farmers back then. Ironically I was funding those shitters by buying their gold.

What changes are you talking about? Last time I played was in 2012 and while the content was certainly different from when I played in 2008, it felt like the same game mostly.

I was making a joke

Never played but throught middle school when i went to hang with my uncle hed be playing this. Jesus this game was magical seeing if Max level just about every class...i miss it

>leave party
>invite a replacement to be polite
>the party leader invited a replacement too
>you have to tell the guy to leave

FFXI was actually pretty brutal for someone with social anxiety

I sold probably 13 of them, even got a drop from that BC

As much of a meme when they ruined SAM subbing

Trust NPCs and the level caps being removed off all the old content, stuff that used to take a coordinated 6 man party can be solo or duo'ed at 99 now.

>Show up to a party to replace someone
>Soon as you pull a few mobs, the others in the party are tired too and want to quit, just as you get a nice exp chain going

REEEEEEEEEEEE

>Trusts
>removing level cap on missions so you can easily solo them
>make Fields of valor so everyone can solo effectively to 99

Theres really no reason to socialize atm til level cap

I remember when they did that nerf. DRG went from Penta spam to loldrg real fast.

Oh yeah, that was still a thing in 2012 when I played I think.

I saw it as a blessing though, I was basically soloing most shit anyways, and I was finally able to complete CoP and RoZ by myself and finish the whole story, which I was never able to do back when I originally played the game.

loldrg

>how many of you bought gil back in the day

I would never!

5mil I used it to buy leaping boots and emperor pin for my Ranger

I always told people I never bought gil anyways, made up a story about how someone I knew quit and left me his millions, kek. Would always bash people for it too.

If everyone in this thread got up. Got the game now and we teamed up it might seem the like the old days again..

Almost.

Who here fish botted?

People always used to scare me about getting caught but they never got me.

Gil buyers are filthy scum who ruin the game

A couple of mil, I got Lizzy boots, two astral rings, peacock necklace and some other minor shit. Probably bought emperor pin too but I can't remember

Dude I knew a kid who used to fish bot all the time.
Then they changed the fishing system. He got so pissed he ended up quitting the game.

I made my own bots so I just changed mine if anything looked up

It got to a point (2007-2010 range I believe) where you had no choice but to buy gil. By that time the chinese fucked the economy too hard.

Only time I ever used bots was to level up magic like cure and enhancements and whatnot, outside a city gate at night while I slept, just set it to heal, protect / whatever then rest until mp full and repeat.

I botted, but I remember GM's would message people who were suspected of botting.

Normally I would just bot while playing another game or watching a movie. I'd look over and see a GM asking me questions or saying hello to see if I'd reply back.

I'd be more than glad to play again with some people from Cred Forums
I've got plenty of jobs that need leveling up still

I played from 2008-2011 without buying gil. But I did have tomake my own arrows.

To everyone who keeps saying XI killed itself, did you forget the abortion that was XIV 1.0? Because if you don't remember, XI was still doing relatively well in 2010 before XIV 1.0 dropped. Did you forget in an attempt to shuffle people from XI to XIV they added Abyssea, absolutely destroying the balance the game had had for almost 10 years with a 75 cap? And when 1.0 spectacularly failed to get people to swap they went full bore trying to salvage the remains of XI?

For all the good Tanaka did with XI, I genuinely believe if his health hadn't started failing/Wada being a retarded prick, both games could have had some measure of success. Hell that is why the races are copy pasted it was designed from the ground up to facilitate the switch to the XI 2.0 which as we all know never took off.

>20+mill or something for a haub and scorpion harness, not HQ, just NQ

Jesus fuck that was terrible

I got sent to FFXI jail because I tried a fishing bot once

Apparently it was spamming '','' over and over again after I went afk in Jeuno.

The jail was literally in the ruins in Saburuto or whatever its called, just with no way of exiting the room.

Got to chill with a GM for a lil bit so it was ok I guess.

I would if I could recover my old character that I lost all my info to, but Idon't think its possible. Last played in 2007 or 2008 I think so its probably gone.

I botted healing for parties too, external healer that's. So basically I could make rape parties to level quick

I never had too many issues, but I also had an alarm set incase anyone PMd me and I really never left my room

>mfw I the HQ Version crafted from trying to make a normal one
I could smell the jelly on everyone when I walk through Jeuno with this and my Optical hat on.

Aby is what most people point out when they say XI killed itself, butin truth it was dying right along when AU ended, but both were the fault of the devs and not really the game itself. There was just no lasting content up til Aby came out, which instead of dding real content, added what was basically short term content while also retroactively killing every bit of content before it.

Then the game went into dark age with stupid voidwatch bs being the only other thing to do. SE just did what they always do, went for the money without any real thought behind having a fallback, they were for some reason convinced theyd make another XI with XIV and were shocked when it failed spectacularly

As long as your account wasn't banned and you deactivated everything correctly, it should still be there
Starting over is also an option, but it's your call

If people are playing on Asura, I'll use the last of my money to play right the fuck now.

if theres one thing i liked about getting to 75, it was exchanging that o.hat for a turban. DD job gear sets can look ugly as it is but that hot was just awful

Since we are talking about value DD items

King of Value coming through

I used to bonecraft these all the time, bonecrafting was the only crafting skill I actually bothered to level up.

the sleepy little port town is pretty busy these days

I am, actually
If we can get a couple more people, I think it'd be fun to play together

>FFXI had horizontal gear progression

no it didn't there was a clear vertical ladder with BiS items

>There was just no lasting content up til Aby came out
To be fair none of the previous expansions before Aby (except RoZ) had a good endgame scene. CoP had sea which most people never got to, ToAU had salvage which most people didn't care about, and WotG had I can't even remember.

depending on what button you were pressing and against what target and the rest of the gear you had was...

The Project Lead of both XI and XIV 1.0 was Tanaka. He calculated that if he could ease the transition over with familiar concept/races that letting XI "dry" up a bit was worth the risk if he could make 1.0 successful. It failed, the people who stayed in XI got upset and left due to the radical changes, and SE thanks to the genius of Wada wanting to release before Blizz Released Wrath of the Lich King, sign the death knell for BOTH games. And hilariously enough, because XI was STILL making them so much money, they were able to let people play XIV for FREE for almost a year in an attempt to garner some goodwill and salvage some sort of fanbase for the game. Then they literally dropped Meteor and killed it, and then we got ARR.

I feel like the statements "it was a failure/it's dead/dying"" get thrown around too much because WoW inflated what a "successful" MMO can garner in terms of subs. Games like Vanguard/Warhammer Online/FFXIV 1.0/ect. now THOSE are failures/dead games. A game that still has a sub fee, and makes enough profit to maintain said sub fee 14 years after release cannot in any way be considered "dead". On life support maybe, but not dead lol.

Don't forget Sky.

Sky was like the easiest bit of end game content.

Does Kirin count? Took like 2-3 hours to kill

Kirin before ToAU was an absolute monster

>Don't forget Sky.
I specifically said except RoZ. Sky came with RoZ.

Spike necklace and two beetle earring +1s was the shit.

Sniper rings were probably the most bang for your buck rings that wasn't Rajas. Fuck, that ring was good.

Except the difference was incredibly minimal and most ideally youd be getting pieces from every event, making them all equally worthwhile, not only that, the fact there was gearswapping for 99% of things you ever did made everything equally valuably in its own way too, bar a few things like say skys "tank" gear set.

WotG had nothing lasting, WotG was just the devs tossing out ideas, some good, some bad, but nothing that lasted more than a few months then dropped like a brick, while XI had tons of previous lasting content, a nice chunk of the playerbase had already cleared a majority of it or were currently stuck on farm status due to every growing LS members. While RoZ/CoP/AU had lastign content WotG had
>evoliths
>oberon weapons
>those casket fights
>that silly psuedo campaign where you fought for a chance to not get shit in your ending treasure chest

And that was it.

Aye, i wotn ever say XI personally died, it lived probably what is an ideal MMO life, holding a good consistent playerbase for over a decade, that to me is what makes a successful MMO, not what your 1st yr or 2 numbers say. as people pointed out XIV is dropping in numbers and its only in what, yr 3 of its ARR period?

Yea that was the gear you kept for all your DD's in your inventory.

>Mailing items to yourself just so you can save space in your Mog house

Having no room in there was suffering. I never bothered with all the moghouse stuff till i hit 75

Walk of Echos was an absolute adorable attempt at trying to give WotG an endgame. It didn't even last a week.

The most WotG did in reality were doomvoid fights, Ixion, and Shadowlord[S]
What a shitty expansion.

I agree but I understand where those people are coming from. XI, as it was during the 75 cap, is effectively dead. Plus, I think they confirmed that after Rhapsodies there are no more major updates coming.

They said in an AMA earlier this year that if there was enough interest, they would come out with new expansion packs. Heck doesn't Everquest 1 still get those?

>What a shitty expansion.
I think most people agree that the only good thing to come from WotG was DNC and SCH.

No XI has a skeleton team, but that skeleton team has worked on XI for a long time and every update they've released showed how much they care for the game. Hell even the Vana'diel event in XIV(which was the absolute best even ever) was handled by that same team and it showed. Anyone who played XI for any meaningful amount of time and didn't tear up just a little bit either during the fates(which had the XI battle music), or cutscenes at the end(which showed every meaningful moment/NPC through every expansion) is lying. Even people who never played XI were like "oh shit, this is awesome".

I forgot all about Ixion and Shadowlord was a pipe dream for most cause fuck doing campaign. Seriously the only thing i enjoyed about WotG were the jobs and the story, and even the story was hindered since it took 3-5 fucking yrs to finally conclude

I thought the storyline for it was pretty great
Lilisette a qt

Fuck this bitch

she was a discount Prishe, her only defining trait was her tits and being hilariously broken in any BCNM where she was on your side

>tfw having enough gil from selling HQ Elemental Staves that I could afford to play a DPS Ninja WHILE Spamming Shurikens

I genuinely feel for people that never got to experience it, because it was awesome as fuck. Pic related, it was my face when I realized we'd never get those throwing weapon skills because Nin was forever seen as a "tank".

2, and only because I accidentally tried to use "Spirit Purge" instead of Spirit Surge in my macro.

DRG had it real easy Maat-wise.

The only good thing about Drag was the armor.

I remember when the pet used to have a 2 hour CD

It's a shame they never did anything with throwing. Seems like a very underutilized part of the game.
>cool bomb equips
>used for status boosts

Is any gear from the 75 days still worth it?

what do the stars mean

I was more upset when the goom levels ended post 60 cause shurikens went from 99 stacks ot 12 stacks and were expensive as all fuck, and your ni nukes fell off too. Ontop of that you gaining more TP/dps just swinging your katanas due to higher DW, then there was blade jin.

i mean overall getting blade jin covers my loss of good shuriken/nuke dmg but still, it was nice to have options for my dmg source and have them all work, you know?

>spam shirkens for TP/dmg
>use ws to sc
> double mb with ni nukes
it was fucking glorious

a shame how shit Abyssea is and how it ruined the game
Iron Giants and Caturae were cool monsters

>discount Prishe
What makes you say that?
She was spunky like Prishe, but that's about the only thing they had in common
They both were pretty great characters

FFXi was like cocaine, seriously. It was a dangerous fucking drug that you could get addicted to.

Quitting FFXI was like quitting a drug cold turkey. At first I just quit and unsubscribed. That lasted for a few days until that urge to start playing again came back as I listened to the music and nostalgia, remembered my friends who were still playing, etc.

Eventually I just reasoned to delete my character permanently so that I wouldn't play ever again and I wouldn't get to come back. First, I shouted in Jeuno and gave away everything I could, including my brown belt, leaping lizzy boots, emperor's pin, EVERYTHING. for free to whoever got there first.

I fucking regret doing that to this day, even though I know it was for the best, it's like having withdrawal, I want it so bad to this day to just pick it up and play again but I regret it so much...

The problem is with their DF system, they couldn't/wouldn't balance content to require a support job, and if the content isn't designed with the support job in mind, people just eschew it and bring more DPS(because they are stupid), so Yoshi just said, "we don't want anyone to feel left out" which is why every job in a role plays essentially the same. Its a damn shame that the support role is all but dead in terms of MMOs because I for one enjoyed playing that role the most.

Yeah they treated high end shurikens like Cannon Shells for Ranger, which coincidentally also vastly underused because fuck 12 stack ammo, not to mention you couldn't even use regular ammo with a Culverin.

My favorite part of this game was designing specialized gear sets and gear swapping in order to increase my job's utility outside of conventional uses.

Are there any games that let me do this today? Or should I just come back to XI?

>The moment i accidentaly threw my expensive egg instead of a dart to pull mobs

Just kill me now

The Maiden's Rhapsody was fucking amazing. It actually made me drop XIV and go back to XI.

Yup, really as another user said throwing was just treated as an afterthought, atleast nins got Daken, at a time where noone uses nin for anything anymore. Still i dolove how SE threw the throwign rank around on some jobs

>PUP got a B+ throwing skill
>has ammo slot in use at all times
>BLU has no throwing whatsoever
>is put on chakrams and even had its own JSE chakram

as with many design decisions, wtf SE?

>Caturae
I fucking hate and love those assholes at the same time
Such a cool monster design
Makes me wish we could play as them using the Monstrosity

>RDM Divine Magic skill
>has no native spells

>hitting ranged attack with fire bomblet equipped

I can't think of another MMO that has you gear-swapping like XI does

It helped that they were as dangerous as they looked and all them were unique models, aby gets shit for what it did to XI as a whole, but i did enjoy it for what it was. Gear wasnt a hassle to acquire in most cases, some of the NMs were somewhat difficult before everyone had broken atmas/god drinks and made them all cake walks

To be fair it did have dia and/or banish skills initially, or dia used to be divine, one of those two i forget which.

To this day I still wonder whose idea was it to give these fuckers hips like this

>Be Taru WHM
>Have Reverend Mail from Shen
>Outright buy a KC
>Have Mjollnir, spend a month camping the ferries to get my Sea Wolf/Sea Robber Cudgels

That shit was hilarious. I could /Nin and still have almost 1k MP. Add in Haste, and the +haste from Blessed Gear, it was a sight to behold. Definitely made merits much more exciting to grind out lol.

>Trying to cap crossbow on my thief for life drain bolt procs
>Every missed shot is putting me in the poor house

adaman hauberk

>spending half the fight trying to land acid bolts on crabs/crawlers to overwrite their def buffs since the rdm couldnt afford dispel/we had no rdm at the time

Times like this i regretted not making a racc gear set. Then colibiri came around and who cares about debuffing outside of dia

>that one fucking NM in the desert that constantly ran at Flee speeds and only stopped to kick the everloving shit out of anyone that attacked other Cactuars
Fun times.

Blurple.

youtube.com/watch?v=jCuACriQKk8

I remember seeing that fucking NM version Rapido running by while I was leveling with a party

Would you aggro it?

I remember its shiny blue_ armor fondly.

>10k needles
Nope.

>adaman hauberk
Things I couldn't afford but everyone expected you to have

i think it means they capped JP and did a special mog trial to "master" the job

Holy fuck JP and APEX parties are the most annoying thing to try and get into
No matter how hard I try, I can never seem to get my accuracy to the 'minimum' needed to join one
Life is fucking suffering

The dust trail it left while it ran was the best part about it
Fun times indeed

>Japanese player in the party
>I know he's silently judging my DPS and skill chain timing and shitty TP macros with the silly whistles

Its too much pressure

I love the little jab the XI team threw in with Iroha repeatedly stating Eorzea was a dream she wanted to wake up from. It was subtle, but it gave me a very good chuckle.

Listening to XI music brings a tear to my eye. Nothing else really brings out such emotional nostalgia from me.
God I miss everything about this game.

So beautiful, so purple

Abyssea was good content though, the problem was that they thought Abyssea and the level 99 cap was going to be the game's last hurrah before XIV, and then when XIV bombed they had to spend years undoing the damage all of that powercreep did to the games lastability.

lets be real, how many people truly bothered with ZNM and Einherjar?

is it realy that hard to hit acc requirements for grinding parties now? Or are you one of those jobs with shit skill caps like pup?

Occasionally I go on the youtube channel to see what's happening, people are fishing right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=tFTNAsQq5dE

Did both, loved ZNM, liked einherjar.
>SE said theyd do a revamp of ZNMs i nthe future for ilvl content
Fuck you SE, i was a fool to trust you.

>people are fishing right now.
user, those are NPCs.

>people

Those are all NPCs.

Lel, they still have that live feed up? Good old windy

I remember getting fucking lost when I first logged in, took forever to find the exit.

Those are all NPCs. For some reason they started moving the camera to random unpopulated areas when it used to be in Adoulin with people running around. Last time I checked it was looking at an outpost in West Sarutabaruta I think.

BLU
I've thrown everything that I can think of together or at least get my hands on that has acc
But this is the highest I can reach without food
Apparently the bare minimum is at least in the 1000 range without food

>tfw 6 hit great sword set
ZNMs were pretty cool

PUP's had an A+ in hand-to-hand for years now.

Only one thing for me to do after this shamefur dispray.

>mfw my GS skill is only 30 because I capped Scythe

SKILLING UP WAS THE WORST

I think that's just to hit acc cap? I havent played since the introduction of Alluvion skirmish armor, but id think you could hit 1k with an acc build of that and those Delve2 swords, you're already damn near close, and im assuming those are with sword merits

You just wanted to believe, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Tumult Curator is pretty much PW from what I understand

>Elvaan were some strange mix of Scottish Knight and French Catholic society. They lived in a castle city, had a rich history of holy Paladins and Dragoons, were arrogant nobles, and weren't hippy dippy magical forest people.
A-at least we have Ishgard, right?

Meant in terms of the system but looks like that's what they used unity for now. Not quite the same but as close as itll get i guess.

I feel like they made Ishgard just to shit 1.0 players up. It has no purpose. Everyone is either outside their homes (because DF puts you outside so going back in is just a hassle), or in Idleshire

>SATA Tachi: Kasha does 12 damage

Why was this allowed Boss?

I know it's pretty close, but I can't seem to reach it
I'm using a mix of AF2 and the Alluvion Skirmish Armor with a couple different accessories and such that I'm able to get my hands solo
But the really shitty part is that I'm sacrificing items that boost multi-attack (which is wanted for these parties) for more accuracy so I'm just stuck trying to figure out what the hell to do
Really wish I could find a linkshell that wasn't always 'too busy' to help out

>shit
whoops, meant shut

>2004
>gotta get home from high school
>farm cockatrice meat for an hour
>send to buyer, standing arrangement to send back money outside AH
>spend a couple hours helping linkshell with key and AF parties
>LFP forever and take initiative to form exp party
>stay up to an ungodly hour
so comfy, never again can I live with so few responsibilities

meant to reply to I just keep fucking up

There just isn't enough free time.

Real life bus' arrive more frequently then in game airships.

Personally id just not worry about it and try to do those parties anyway, its really a shame i cant just say to shout for people to help you these days since noone really wants to help much anymore, least not when i was playing. Im sure theres worse blus out there getting job points and shit, always is.

>having issues with Genbu
he was always a joker, easiest Sky NM

It definitely is still worth a shot, I guess I just worry about being a worthless shitter when in reality I've been trying everything that I can just to meet the acceptable standards with little to no help
Really wish the /vg/ linkshell wasn't dead

It's 4AM on a workday and the Undead, Mamool, and Trolls are attacking, and General Mihli is the only general left. What do you do?

youtube.com/watch?v=0NmKpnPlMXc

please note that mihli is a very cute mithra. You wouldn't want her to get captured, would you?

Again, far as im aware this is the acc requirement to hit acc cap. You wont be that far behind, again im assuming you capped merits and all that too? And got good acc+ swords?

fuck

fuck

FUCK

Those were good times.

One thing that always bothered me was how retarded top tier gear looked together back then and how literally everyone had to wear the same shit to be competitive in their role.

I'm so glad MMOs have embraced cosmetic armor.

Shame regular RPGs are still lagging behind in that regard.

>play on shitty 360
>always crash 20 minutes before the end if i dont hide in a corner away from everything
>get no exp/IS

Welp, there goes 2 hrs of lagging my ass off

It makes me laugh and as well as a little sad that FFXI somehow has a much better system for cosmetic equipment than FFXIV. Is the FFXIV team just inexperienced, lazy, or what? Are PS3 limitations really that difficult to get around?

Currently using the Alluvion Skirmish swords; one augmented with Atk/Acc +9
And another with Atk/Acc +11
My merits are not capped out though, so maybe that'll help?
Should I be throwing merits into both Sword skill and DEX?

Depended on the job really, homam/sky god gear/salvage gear looked fantastic and could mesh somewhat okay with each other

>General Mihli
>last standing general
Unless if Lamia No.3 bullshit happens the last one to fall is always Rughadjeen.
He could basically tank the world

Yes definately on both, 2 skill =1 acc and iirc 2 dex was 1 acc too., finish capping your other sword too, that's another 2 acc.

And sorry, you said alluvion skirmish sword, i was thinking delve sword so disregard that bit about the sword unless you want to try for a higher acc augment

Holy hell I just put 3 merits into sword skill and my accuracy went up by 6
user thank you so much
And it's all good, I unfortunately don't have the gil to keep rerolling the one sword and hope for a higher roll or else I definitely would

oh its 1:1 skill:acc, man ive been gone too long already. Well yeah, there you go, typically you want to clear out all your merits before movign onto JP stuff, specially for you magic/weapon skills and job specific merits levels, stats are important too though less so. But yeah, happy grinding

mihli and naja were awesome, I loved toau
youtube.com/watch?v=B07XrxUuqaE

>(((Naja Salaheem)))

buy some ayapec shells off of ah and see if you can find a group friendly enough to fight the bird for ya, it's an easy fight with a good BLM and PLD.

once you get your nibiru sword you can probably hit your acc cap easy peasy with a NQ/+1 ambuscade set mix, then work your way up doing some of the herc/rawhide/adhemar shit

Get an ambuscade cape and do ATK/ACC, +DEX, +DAtk, +DEX (dye). and that will get you an easy like +50 acc right there, you can solo low level ambuscade on blu with eminent gear in my experience.

I've only done a bit of ambuscade and the most I've ever been able to solo was Easy I believe
Surprisingly I've got the cape, but haven't augmented it yet
Same with the Rawhide set, which some kind soul from a now dead linkshell helped me collect
I was hoping that the Rawhide would be a direct upgrade to what I have now, but statwise what I'm currently using now seems to be better
it seems like to even make it worth it I need to sink a lot of gil into them getting them each to Rank 15

upgrade rawhide with eschalixers
get eschalixers with beads you get from Domain Invasion fighting dragons, which are currently easier to fight because of the event
rawhide properly augmented should be pretty dang good iirc. If you got any jovian abjurations from the event, those pieces of armor should be better than what you have too.

It's only 3 +2 elixers to get a piece to +15.

What's suprising to me is you can't find someone to help you. I'm on a different server otherwise I'd gladly help, but Nosoi and Yilan and a lot of the Escha fights for BLU gear are pretty easy iirc. I don't know what server /vg/ is on but if it's Asura you could try [sp]reddit[/sp]

Hey kids, want some boots?

>tfw subless WAR 18 claiming it on the way to Wadi
>tfw 1/1 Leaping Boots
thank you lucky Lizzy

>tfw enjoyed NM hunting with friends
>tfw just about everyone i've talked to on this board hated NM/HNM because of how it worked

I thought it was a pretty good way to add challenge to an MMO and not to have every mouthbreathing rretard be clones of each other.

I guess the only complaint is bots that would tag instantly, but i'm sure that could have been fixed.

I have really good memories to this music

Met someone outside windurst and we both went goldfishing in yukatas, we became friends and adventured a lot together. Found out they lived locally to me and we met up.

In most cases its just a case of bots and certain NMs having a huge respawn timer, like HNMs or to a lesser extent even things like the joytoy manta. Add in low drop rates with a lot of those long respawn timer NMs adn it just becomes a huge chore.

1/32 boots
1/43 O.Kote
1/37 F.Kyahan
1/53 P.Charm
1/27 E.Hairpin

My life was hell back in the days. Then they made the rare/ex stuff and I camped those for the hell of it....I said fuck it when I hit 0/30 with Quu Domi.
I got like 17 archer's rings in 6 months, before the Chinks came in force.

Sorry for the late reply, not even sure if you're still here or not
But I have no idea what Domain Invasion is
Is it something I can solo? Or do I need to shout for it?
I've got a couple Jovian pieces, but I know for a fact that I can't afford any of the Vexed pieces
I'm actually extremely poor right now
And all my experiences with asking for help in any of the linkshells I've joined are either people saying that they're busy or there's just no response at all
And then I never get a response with /yell and when I do it's people asking for gil in return for helping

You'll hate me then. I went 1/1 on Alky Bracelets while competing with chinks.

I think the longest it took me to get something was 1/19 on O.Kote. I ended up getting 7 more and basically funded my entire 50 to 70 Ninja with it.

So how many people still play on Asura, and are you guys in the /vg/ linkshell or a different one?

/vg/ linkshell is dead
I'm currently in a semi-dead linkshell currently, but I'm a sackholder in it if you're interested in joining
Alternatively, if enough people are interested, we could just create our own small Asura linkshell

Had a friend who botted Alky for a whole month, he got the claim everyday against the chinks and another regular player.

The chinks gave up after two weeks of no claim but the guy still kept coming.

My friend never got the drop that whole month. He said fuck it, the next day they droped and that one player was alone for the claim.

I'm still giving him shit everytime March comes rolling.

XIV already dropped to 250k active characters out of 6 million accounts, that's shit awful retention. XI had a steady 500k active characters for around 8 years, out of around 2.5 million accounts.

forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/222733/ffxi-vanadiel-census-a-consistent-500-000-pop

>mfw brother got the boots on his first kill then got the earrings off that bug in the desert area on his first kill

He had some top-tier luck going on.

I'm considering starting again too, so I'll watch this thread.

Pretty sure thread's on its way to dying
I'm and my IGN on Asura is Layton so feel free to send me a /tell if you want one of those linkshells

Been playing on ERA for months now. Comfy as fuck.

I used to play on Era, until they teleported my entire LS to Mordion Gaol because one of the newbies asked why one of the GMs was lvl 99(its a 75 cap server), while we were killing King Behemoth(because the admin and his cronies wanted to fight him)

Long story short, they banned my friend, suspended me for a month, and my LS fell apart in the interim. Its sad because ERA isn't bad at all, but the Admins and GMs, jesus fuck are they awful.

>tfw Riverne zones were copied twice to alternate low/high-detail LoD versions of specific islands to alleviate PS2limitations issues, while still maintaining that large draw distance

What about Ninja? Before the American players started using it as a tank by exploiting utsusemi, Ninja was literally a throwing DD.

Is there any reason to save the abjuration keys you get, or just immediately turn them into the goblin? Started playing again a couple months ago after quitting a bit after Wings of the Goddess, so this is completely new.

Naw, just use 'em as you get 'em
bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Abjurations
Only keep the ones you get under the Escha-Ru'Aun section
They're the only ones worth anything nowadays

I'm cautiously optimistic about the reboot, if it's any good I want to build a raspberry pi box to play it on a tv.

And yet XIV ARR weebshitters still defend the small as fuck zones and instances in that game.

Yoshi copied WoW but somehow managed to make a world/overworld smaller and more cramped than any MMO I've played.

I quit years back but I detest the XIV threads here since its just /vg/ falseflagging the OP to get an excuse to circlejerk on Cred Forums.

If they only fired Yoshi, dropped the holy trinity, started ditching the Duty Finder, ditched PS3 Limitations, and started making larger segments of worlds and relying on a large server community (i.e. merge worlds), it could possibly recover.

Now, it's just gonna be a cosmetic flashy game for shitters to sit in 24/7 and ERP/do nothing, or those who still pay $15 a month to log in twice a week to play their endgame and log off.

God I miss XI and XIV 1.16-1.21

Forgot my image.

>XI had bigger world zones
Not exactly a good thing when your run speed was comparable to moving in neck deep water, though.

I wish Yoshida would realize that raid gear doesn't HAVE to be the best. No raider worth their weight in salt would tell you they raid for loot. It's the fact you cleared the content. The prestige of doing it. The titles, mounts, etc. Not the gear...because once you clear the fight, what the fuck do you need better gear for? It's definitely not for a headstart because catchup patch gear is pretty much as good.

>If they only fired Yoshi, dropped the holy trinity, started ditching the Duty Finder, ditched PS3 Limitations, and started making larger segments of worlds and relying on a large server community (i.e. merge worlds), it could possibly recover.

Why not just make it GW2?

/em examines you.

I love XI threads, they are rare and beautiful but.. quit saying you can't do it again, Nasomi is a thing and population has doubled in only a year and continues to grow.

do you play by yourself?

There are 268 on right now, weekends peak at near 350-500.

>got to a point in Wings of the Goddess that I just was not having fun anymore
>at the time my brother was trying to get me into WoW
>climb to on top of the waterfall in Gustaberg
>about to lay my character to rest
>oh I should look at my played time
>4.5 years

>played time is 4.5 years
>out of ~12/13 years

dude.

one day I'm going to hook up my PS2 and try to log in, just to see how much it hurts to see it not work.

Well it was about a month before Wrath of the Lich King launched, so actually it was 4.5 years out of 6.

Did you afk in Jueno or something the entire time, my man?

Or did you have an addiction problem?

I had a pretty serious addiction problem that got further fueled by moving away in the middle of high school and one of my best friends moving like 500mi away from me.

I also had a pretty big group of friends in XI, we talked for years after quitting then slowly drifted to real lives.

Weird to think most of them are 30+ now. I hope they're doing okay.

>I'm so socially awkward I couldn't even make friends in game
>Linkshells were always talking about irl stuff I couldn't relate to
>Alienated people who tried to reach out and get to know me
>Watched several people actually meet ril girlfriends though that game
>I didn't have any long-term friends in the whole 8 years I played

I wish... I could start over

I miss the game so much but going back is out of the question, all my friends have long quit and the game itself is in a horrible state now.

a men brotha

Something I found funny trying out FF14 coming from 11 is the huge difference in difficulty. The 14 dungeons people described as being horrible experiences that no one wanted to do turned out to be hilariously easy compared to even low level XI content.

The difficulty has little to do with the horrible experiences in 14's dungeons.

>come home from work
>my thread is still up, and on page 0

Neat.

>page 7
Of course as soon as I get back the thread is kill

I refuse to let it die!
bibiki party awe yeah

>2016
An actual party without trusts?
I'm amazed.

Nasomi Private Server my man!
2006/07 Era stuff.

If only my gpu hadn't melted.
I've been mainly gaming on my ps4 and using the on-board graphics of my cpu for internet.

I mean, It's a PS2 game, you could probably run the game just fine.
fyi I literally JUST took that screenshot.

youtube.com/watch?v=hLabpUdgs1U

Even reactivating an account or checking the game news ticker about the next patch had good music

There used to be a fairly sizeable group of people who played on a private server for XI a few summers ago. I think they eventually made a Steam group, Kraken Club or something? Anyone know what happened to that?

I loved that game so damn much.. I reinstall it now an again just to roam about the the old haunts on my beloved bard.

my HNM LS had skill up parties right before windows opened up. Usually we would take a lvl 1 weapon, accuracy food and wack the shit out of the closest set of crabs we could find.

Spent so long killing robber crabs then steelshells leveling up my dagger staff and sword for the special moves on them getting that damn debuff off the trial weapons seen to take Forever!

It feels good to look at.

>Warhammer online

Never gets fucking old

Ign? I've played about a year and a half (over the course of the past 3 years) on Era but I haven't played recently. Still wishing to find some vg people to chill with

They had a panel recently where they said the could consider bringing it over given the popularity of VII and future fan response.

I wonder how alive the game is over there when you have PSO2 and FFXIV existing.

School gaiden story looks weird though.

my IGN is Clumsy. I wouldn't be adverse to playing with some people again but I don't have the time that I used to.
see
Once that happened people fell off left and right.

NoFunXI was the group we made back in 2014, the group is all but dead now unfortunately.

>NoFunXI was the group we made back in 2014, the group is all but dead now unfortunately.
RIP, that was some of the most fun I'd ever had in XI, what a great group of people. That's really too bad.

What was your ign? Because, yeah I had some tremendous fun with those guys. From farming dynamis, to killing obscure NMs for bragging rights - I still don't think anyone else on Era has my -magic dmg taken down Katana(that the admins didn't even know was in the game when I got it lol)

If anyone who was in NoFunXi wants to play XI again, I would absolutely be down. Some of the best players I've ever had the pleasure of doing content in ANY game with.

Nasomi population appears to be steadily increasing, which is always nice.

It will still need to be about double of what it is now for the server to really work.

I don't remember, I just remember playing an elf MNK. Never got to do the endgame stuff unfortunately, had plenty of fun just leveling.

What content is up and running on Nasomi now? I know the last time I checked they still didn't have ToAU and I think CoP working yet.

Another question, is Nasomi pre-RNG nerf or post?

I am not 100% sure. Someone else who's played on Nasomi longer would need to comment.

AFAIK, CoP should be fully working. Last I heard, Nasomi was hesitant to add ToAU content because he's afraid it might fuck up the game balance. He was trying to find a way to add the major stuff while parsing out the broken shit.

>tfw FFXI has the greatest OST out of all the SE games
>Blows out every other MMO OST by miles

I only wish more people could have played and experienced it.

I can now get parties at any time of day if i try hard enough. I've done several dynamis runs and what have you. I think that's fine.

CoP works about 99% besides some TP moves for Jailers IIRC, ToAU hasn't really been touched yet but I've been hearing rumblings of Assault being worked on but idk if it's true.

RNG seems pretty stronk to me. Had one taking hate a bunch earlier.

I agree i adore them an still find the time to listen to them amongst my non vidya music.

>Log into Era
>Decide to solo a few merits on my nin
>Find Keeper of Halidom is up
>No drop
>realize I could have gone on my thf for that sweet sweet TH

R I P

Oh an BTW they released an album that transitions from the music into the ambience back to music like your travelling in game .. I nostalgia'd hard listening to the Sandy to ronny to hearing the wind through the trees of la theine then the rain and clicks of crabs in jugner an back to the glorious music of battalia downs :)

Link?

Pcs updating atm sorry dude im reading Cred Forums on my tablet an its not synced to my pc on this thing so no links ready :/