ITT: Franchises that would've been better if left dead

ITT: Franchises that would've been better if left dead.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IV0M6prEfHA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

inb4 Paper Mario fags

Thief. Devil May Cry. Dungeon Keeper. Beyond Good and Evil

Halo
Star Fox
Pokemon

Paper Mario

>franchise gets no new games
THE FRANCHISE IS DEAD PLEASE DO SOMETHING

>franchise gets new game
JESUS CHRIST THEY COMPLETELY SCREWED UP THIS IS NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL, MY GOD WHY DIDN'T THEY LEAVE IT ALONE!

every time

GTAO and shark cards killed GTA

Because those are the only possible outcomes you dumb whore.

Franchise that would have been better if the publisher didn't force diversity officers on the project.

Mafia

Every franchise with more than 3 games.

It's not a wrong answer

Pokemon has never been dead

The new game was good. The story was retard but you can skip the cinematic.
The important part is the gameplay and it was improve over the first.
They try an interesting thnig with the combat but they need to patch the I.A beyond the "retard" level.

People shitpost only because the cover is awful

Silent Hill should have stopped at 3.

I liked Catalyst and prefer it over the original. I got stuck a couple times in Catalyst and really enjoyed some of the zones you got to explore, especially near the end.

I'd say the first had a better soundtrack, but honestly Solar Fields did an amazing job. They left Catalyst open for DLC and I really hope it gets it, sadly it's been silent. It could be EA's Tomb Raider if they let it.

mgs after 3

The new game is equally as flawed as the first one was, or even more. The level and over-world design is fucking atrocious, the art direction and atmosphere are considerably weaker than the original, the combat system is just as out of place and retarded as the original.

The core parkour mechanics are still functional (though I can't think of any way in which the game had improved on the previous game in that regard) and there is simply more stuff to do, which is good but damn if the game had fucked up for every single improvement.

>writes a review based on what he read and what others told him
>1000 people find it useful

>The level and over-world design is fucking atrocious

open-world level is atrocious, mission level are on the same level as the first imho.

> I can't think of any way in which the game had improved

I find the movement are more fluid and they had a key for the "boost".

Final Fantasy and Metal Gear proves you wrong

Halo.

Yeah, I never give a single fuck about reviews anymore. I still look up reviews to get a general idea, but I've enjoyed way too many games that mostly got bad reviews to really give a fuck anymore about them. Video game industry is turning into Rotten Tomatoes tier, but anything below an 80 is a shit game.

Not the dude you replied to, but I also agree with this post. This is actually nostalgia goggles bad, it's literally an improved game. The first game was not that good, it was just pleasantly different and that's why we haven't seen the series again in 7 years.

If it ended at 3 then yes.

First of all, you spend a LOT of time in the overworld, so that is still a big issue. Second of all, no, the missions are generally a lot simpler with a lot less moments where you really need to figure out complex puzzles: the mission design is even more straight forward with even less possible routes to get through than most of the original game.

That said, I can't say I hate the damn thing: the Benefactor mission felt absolutely amazing once you reached the top of the tower.

>I find the movement are more fluid
I played both of the games back-to-back and I don't see any actual change to the movement system, outside of the fact that faith now jumps higher and her movement feels a little bit less realistic (which is not necesarily a good or a bad thing).

>This is actually nostalgia goggles bad, it's literally an improved game.
Nobody ever claimed that the original game was not seriously flawed, but I still don't see the improvements they have made, outside of the giving the player freedom to move around the over-world: a feature that would be really neat IF the overworld wasn't so poorly fucking designed.

Idk man, I went in not expecting much and ended up playing it non-stop for a week. Maybe it's just niche and not for you. Sure it's not GotY, but I had fun and would buy DLC/Sequel if it happens.

>still no crack

Actually, it's the other way around: I have an insane craving for games like Mirror's Edge. And I've played my fair share of the game. And despite my criticisms, I STILL want to play more of it.
But it's mostly because I have a massive fucking boner for this type of clean aesthetics, distopian settings AND parkour-based mechanics from first person (I've also sunk ungodly amount of hours into Dying Light...).

The fact that I have an irrational love for the mechanics however does not abstain the game of valid criticism, and there is more than little to level at it. The game has serious issues and really butchered a concept that could be several orders of magnitude better than it is: if the core gameplay loop wasn't so damn satisfying and the visual design wasn't so strong, it would be actually terrible, because everything else about the game is somehow poorly thought through or designed.

Halo post-Bungie

I understand and would buy you a beer bro. Wish we had more games similar to it. At least we got Titanfall out of it.

why does everything past 2010 EA touches turn to shit

Was surprised to see that, Spore, and Mirror's Edge on GoG the other day. EA actually offered something without DRM, what a world we live in.

So what is actually wrong with the new Mirror's Edge?

For me it was that it never actually got released.

Any serious replies?

Fuck off, we'd already written that shit out of our collective minds and now you come and piss all over everyone. Have a shitty day, m8.

Also, this

For me it was that it did actually get released.

Seriously? Just watch this. Turn the sound off if it bothers you, I know it does me. youtube.com/watch?v=IV0M6prEfHA

Looks fun.

Never heard of it.

>So what is actually wrong with the new Mirror's Edge?
There are several issues the game has. One, and easily the biggest, is that the actual open-world aspect of it, the overworld you move around between missions, do all your collectibles and side-missions, is just EXTREMELY poorly designed. It's insanely obfuscatory. It's nearly impossible to get proper idea of where you really are, where you want to go and how to get there: it's just a mess of low and medium-height buildings that all look virtually the same, with WAY too little notable landmarks, and with horizons that will hide most of them at any time anyway. Hell, you don't really run on the roofs in this game: You run on pateaus, terraces and weird open-air atriums most of the time. Aside from it looking really kinda shitty and indistinct, and really not like an actual, belivable space, it just makes navigation difficult.
You literally can't see WHERE you are trying to get, much less how are you supposed to get there, which makes actually figuring out next steps in your route extremely difficult. Navigating the overworld is unintuitive as fuck and there is basically no way to tell where you are supposed to go without at least the BASIC runner vision on.
And that hurts the over world running A LOT. You are not navigating an organic landscape, you are basically blindly following the red breadcrumb trail because that is all you can do, really.

The missions themselves are more like original Mirror's Edge, but smaller, less intricate, and shorter: also there is just a few of them and honestly, the whole campaign is just really damn slow, leaving the rest with the dissapointing overworld challenges and collect-a-thon's which aren't fun.

Finally, the combat is just as obnoxious, if not more, as it was. It feels just as forced, except this time you use this weird melee combat instead of guns, but it's just as clunky and the A.I. is just dumb as hell anyway.

And those are just the mechanical problems the game has. The story is dumb as fucking hell too: the attempt to give the world more backstory just fucks any semblance of subtlety the original game had right in the ear, giving you a god-awful post-apocalyptic story with so much cartoony hyperbole and exaggeration it's nearly impossible to take it seriously, while the characters are all incredibly annoying, with Faith being the dumbest piece of shit among them all. It's all a giant collection of mindless clichés and stuff we had seen already.

And the art direction is just nowhere as good as it was. It's all much more futuristic, but also looks much more abstracted, to a point where it does not look like real spaces anymore. There are only a few locations that actually feel distinct, and virtually none that feel lived-in and belivable. The music being much more muddy and indistinct does not help either.
The feeling of lightness and awe, and sheer joy and freedom is gone from the narrative. It's there mechanically, but the narrative aspects of it don't really play into it.

The core is still good. The parkour is still satisfying as fuck. The clean city is still a wonderful playground. But nothing really compliments those two core aspects well, to a point where you feel like you are playing a shadow of REALLY good game that got stomped to the ground by the people not really knowing (or caring) what they are really doing. And it's such a shame too.

So that is your serious answer to what is wrong with the game.

If being led by a leash and having to bow to your master's voice for treats looks fun to you, I suppose it is. I'm just surprised you were able to type that out with paws. Nice doggy.