AtlusUSA should die

Turns out undub of Soul Hackers wasn't possible until recently because AtlusUSA just straight fucking deleted voiced lines for NPCs from the game instead of redubbing them.

gbatemp.net/threads/release-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-undub.443011/

This is just as bad as censorship!

>"M-muh Nintendo, Atlus dindu nuffin to #FE!!"

Lol, right? How can you continue parroting this shit? Hardindrones, I swear...
Meanwhile, they're doing this kind of shit for years. This is for Digital Devil Saga:

>"As the original version featured a cast of well-known anime voice actors, the localization team sought out well-known English voice actors for the dub, and took extra care with syncing the English dialogue with the original characters' lip movements."
>literally one of the first lines that one character said within 10 mins in the american version of the game are completely non-existant in japanese version and were possible to add just because camera was looking elsewhere
>Cielo was turned jamaican just for the lulz
>Angel actually is not hermaphrodite in original

Not to mention Persona:

>Revelations: Persona was heavily changed when it was localized for a North American release. All characters were renamed and several of them had their appearance altered as well. Nearly all references to Japan or Japanese culture were cut, with the unusual exception being the shoe lockers and Shinto Shrines in the game. Many of the Personas were renamed rather than translated, and the town's name was changed to "Lunarvale". Yen was changed to dollars, and the overall difficulty of the game was reduced by lowering the enemy encounter rates and increasing the experience gained. However, while experience gain was increased to an amount proportional to the decreased random battle rate, money drops were left the same, resulting in a potential shortage of cash.

etc.

Why do you keep supporting this trash company? Future of P5 is in hands of these fucking bastards, mind you!

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!DY1FTCzA!J2xkcsiGho9RihReZV2ABXJcLyIlQ4Q-M8UfARP0tTw
youtube.com/watch?v=WfW3Xm45h7U
youtube.com/watch?v=XtcfDmmuDw8
djt.neocities.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=SUMGTPH5o1c
youtube.com/watch?v=NUa4zzUs7Fs
youtube.com/watch?v=JHJhah1c-K0
youtube.com/watch?v=XJjFe9oQIN8
youtube.com/watch?v=qUj84yamvL0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Too long, family

Yeah don't support Atlus JP for funding dating sims that take 7 years to make

Can I somehow use my cartridge save?

all i care about is etrian odyssey, and they haven't butchered it in any way

They opted not to pay some hooker off the street to voice some side characters that had the same VA, no matter their age.

>>Angel actually is not hermaphrodite in original

The person responsible for the Persona 1 butchering, Nich Maragos, now works at Nintendo Treehouse and was responsible for the #FE butchering.

You are quite late for that shit, and #FE was because Avex VAs.

And Finding VAs that can sing is pretty much impossible.

If you really cared about this stuff you would learn Japanese.

Ahahaha. If only you knew.

>added proprietary format to ingame archives of localized versions of remakes

Yeah, keep trusting them goy, they definitely hasn't cut shit from your precious dungeoncrawlers.

Why would they keep them in the game instead of replacing them? That would only bloat the filesize for the game unnecessarily. And everybody knows Persona 1's translation was the stuff of legends, I'm pretty sure the guy who runs the Youtube account for Atlus USA even made a joke about it.

Well memed goy.

If you care that much why not you don't learn moon?

You know, the time that you wasted bitching you could learn some stuff.

Stop samefagging Hardin. This is not a reason for trashing original experience of the game. What you're doing is not localization, its a butchering.

explain please?

Why haven't you learned Japanese?

I can't tell what was cut, but the thing is they added some obscure format for ingame resources just as they did for Soul Hackers so it was impossible to make proper undubs for remakes until recently.

Now its quiet obvious they did it to hide the fact of some content deletion.

I can't, I don't even know how to read.

I tried but didn't get far past kana. Knowing that much is kind of neat but I'm just not motivated enough to learn.

MEGA link for the undub?
I don't feel like going through the sign up process

mega.nz/#!DY1FTCzA!J2xkcsiGho9RihReZV2ABXJcLyIlQ4Q-M8UfARP0tTw

i am

Anyone?

thanks

It's not a Nintendo game, so good luck trying to get Nichegamer or Censored gaming to care.

you should be able to use JK's save manager
export save from cartridge
import save to sd

about to do it myself in a few minutes

Literally who?

I should honestly, but the only game I would bother playing is the Saturn version of Soul Hackers honestly

Maybe if... As well, or the NES version of megami tensei 2

Thanks

It's fucking hard man.

Do you know any good ways?

Is the DLC playable with this?

>data is unused
>let's keep it in the game for no reason on a platform with severe space limitations
guess who wouldn't last long in the industry

What DLC?

So?
>This is just as bad as censorship!
No?
This thread is retarded desu.

Because you can't. It's an alien language with backwards grammar where every word has a hundred different meanings and writings and pronunciations.

>Soul Hackers
>DLC
u wot m8

There's also complete Persona Q DLC undub as well as complete SMT4 undub (with cutscenes undubbed and subbed) now too.

Working on Apocalypse now and even translating the two untranslated lines.

>soul hackers
>dlc

>$0.05 were added to your wallet by JohnLoveniggercockHardin
Keep it up!

Sounds like America and English.

Because, to be quite honest with you, i've got more important things in life to worry about than whether or not my weebshit videogames are 100% intact.

2 more ebin memes and you'll earn your Cred Forums gold account!

The average English word has one meaning.

Have you ever considered that it wasn't what I was talking about?

I call bullshit. But even if it's true, I'll never boo the addition of futa.

Who supports these retards? Everybody with any sense just imports all their games now. They're region free after all.

Because you can't learn Japanese.

>even japanese branch of Atlus lost it over AtlusUSA '''''translation'''''
You can't make this shit up!

Well yeah, I can't learn something I already know.

Not everyone can be born in Japan.

Atlus rep here,

Thanks for paying our Atlus tax on all our games, fuckers.

I thought it was #FE before clicking the link because of the pic

What does it say?

I dont read nip, someone translate this.

And now you know why P5 is coming out next year and not this year

Google translate just says that they are showing off a screen shot of the NA release and that he didn't understand the scene at first due to them not using the dictionary meaning of "ditch".

So its more of a check out how the NA release looks type of tweet.

>expecting a decent localization from anything other than EO

>plotless game with literally zero story
>needs localization at all

No, they're just being a smug passive-aggressive fuck. Deep down inside they're 笑ing on the floor.

>Elevens don't understand 'Merican slang

So is Soul Hackers worth buying? It's the only smt 3ds game I don't own.

They also censored YHVH pronouncing in Apocalypse what a bunch of pussies.

If you're referring to his name being distorted when spoken, it was like that in the Japanese version too.

Who gives a flying fuck about your dumbass RPGs?

New Trauma game when?

Isnt this game in the same hands as literally every other Atlus game that's ever been released here? Curb your fucking autism, lad. Chances are you probably don't understand Japanese anyway.

Soul Hackers is fucking great

You just did though.

Just learn Japanese and buy the JP version you lazy fucking weeb piece of shit

It's great, but dated. Even still it's simplicity is endearing, the story is great and music is mindblowing.

Fuck that, Princess Crown translation when?

Its a decent crawler, just don't expect anything but a love letter to 90s aesthetics, since plot is a mess, characters kind of wasted and they literally improved almost no shit from Playstation version, so it can feel very dated at first.

>Just learn Japanese
Assuming that's even possible for the person in question, they could learn about 4 languages in the same amount of time, or a dozen other more valuable skills.

the music isnt THAT amazing

Why can't Atlus skip the middle man and release their games on Steam with Steamworkshop support? You just know people would sub it for free with the same quality.

Better than Nocturne's meguroshit any day.

Literally shut the fuck up. Learn to show some god damn respect.

u wot?

youtube.com/watch?v=WfW3Xm45h7U

I want to learn moon, where should I start?

Because they like yen.

Start by flying to the moon and seek out the mooninites and ask them to teach you.

It's not that fucking hard to learn conversational language. I learned Chinese in a couple years and I could watch almost anything and understand the spoken words. You really don't need 100% fluency to watch fucking TV, it's the stupidest shit you can do in almost every culture.

you're not making a good case

Whats up with your pic? I looks like you emulated the game when looking at those pillars but the portrait tells me that you used something like waifu2x to upscale it.

>not Algon NS Building (Vision Quest)
youtube.com/watch?v=XtcfDmmuDw8

Shoot a god in the face.

I've been watching subbed anime for 20 years man, its impossible to learn that shit.

Still a fun game.

Western Localization teams are fucking retards. Cred Forums should make it's own were it's just translate to english and release it.

Japanese isn't that hard, why don't you faggots just take the time to do something productive instead of just whine.

Now THAT would be a disaster worth playing.

>Cred Forums translating games
It'll be filled to the brim with memes.

>It'll be filled to the brim with memes.

So, localization companies were born from Cred Forums. Makes sense.

no if people try to do this they get FIRED.

Nothing more sad than a weeb game without dual audio. There are poorer studios that manage to include it in their games so why can't atlus?

Are those two supposed to be bad?

Western Patriotism

>I thought it was #FE
>thread OP has Persona 5 image
>talks about Devil Summoner
>link to Devil Summoner undub

Because Japanese actors controls the voice rights, not western companies.

You're saying as if the Japanese studios won't let them. Not-Atlus just doesn't want to.

Correct me if I`m wrong but didn`t soul hackers had freezing issues that never got fixed?

On the 3DS version, yes. It's a rare occurrence, but it's there alright.

>tfw DDS still doesn't have a proper undub

Finished the game just recently, first time ever heard of this.

>released a decade ago
>still doesn't know Japanese

>learning an entire language for just a few games
>japanese of all languages
ew

>few games
get a load of this guy
can't learn a language, doesn't know shit about vidya

Does anyone make Cred Forums madder than based Hardin?

Your source?

I turned off the voices in soul hackers

Who fucking cares

>Nintendo saves storage space by deleting files that aren't used in that version of the game
>as bad as censorship

>OH NO MY CHARACTERS DIDN'T SAY SENPAI
>WAHHHHH
No one cares about weeb shit.

Study. Speak with native speakers.

You cared enough to post in this thread.

>voluntarily castrating your experience like its nothing
You're a definition of a cuck, my friend.

Because they're lazy. Learning to read enough Japanese to understand a story and play a game is easy but weebs are lazy fucks who complain if something is dubbed or subbed.

Thanks for the heads up user

I was tired of hearing Laura Bailey so I've been holding off on playing the game even though Nemissa is my favorite Megaten girl.

Didn't the eng dub of Persona 3 actually say senpai and all that honorific jazz?

so did Persona 4

I haven't really followed this, are there any homo relationships in the game?

The only reason I ask is because I think there were some rumors that you could romance Yosuke in P4 but it got cut

Ryuji is p cute

>gays

I get to come up with my own voices like it was a book , you're the one getting cucked by bad voice actors

Why don't you just come up with your own story at that point? You're not even reading anything close to what the original script says.

good lord

If they announced they were going to be dub only for the western release then why the fuck would they keep the jap voices in the game? It'd be pointless and only take up room.

I don't agree with their practices (I think there should always be dub/sub options) but goddamn use some common sense.

We need a purge going.

>muh literal translation of a vague and highly contextual language

deleted voiced lines for NPCs from the game instead of redubbing them

Oh, never mind me then, I'm a complete retard
Fuck Atlus in that case

I cant find a rom for the nes megami tensei 2 anywhere

A lot of companies do partial dubs, but this is the first time I've heard anyone actually deleting those lines from the game. Wonder if we'll start seeing more of this from companies to make it harder to undub games.

You could start by running up the stairs to the crypt. Grab the book from the skeletons, and pass into the Pit of the Pendulum! Knock over the column, and climb into the King’s Storeroom! Smash the pots to find the key that will lead you into the Chamber of the Sacred Markings. Match the symbols on the right to the runes on the left and pass into the room of The Ancient Warriors! Place yourself in the correct armor and open the door to the Shrine of the Silver Monkey! Assemble the statue and you may be headed toward The Room of the Secret Password. Find the tablet with the correct inscription and shout it out to open the door to The Pharaoh’s Secret Passage. Slide down the tunnel to the quicksand bog, where you could smash through to The Dark Forest, but beware of the temple guard that may inhabit the trees! Find the key in the tree, and you’ll enter the Jester’s Court. Press yourself against the correct wall painting, and you’ll gain entry to The Tomb of the Headless Kings! Pull the vines to release their bones, and attach the missing skull to its proper king! Then, race through the pit, climb through the ledges, race down the stairs and back through the gates.

Pick a text book (genki, tae kim, doesn't really matter) and study grammar. Also study kanji using Genki or other memorization systems. Do this every day and eventually you'll know moon.

But, Olmec. I can't assemble the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. It's too hard.

you are fucking stupid

Hi Hardin.

epic meme

Considering how characterization worked for every main character in DDS, him gaining a Jamaican accent is both great characterization and great voice acting work.

i've been waiting so long for this undub
now we just need P1P

>There's also complete Persona Q DLC undub as well as complete SMT4 undub (with cutscenes undubbed and subbed) now too.
got links to these?

>persona

fuck persona, i want moar smt

that kiss tho

P4G's english dub was also missing dialog, but fortunately they were lazier with that and the undub reinstates it without issue

wut?

some of the party member dialog when dungeon crawling for stuff like finding stairs got replaced with silence in the dub

>dating sim
wrong.

>tlusUSA should die because I'm a self-entitled EOP manchild
Learn Japanese already, you fucking pleb.

Laughed harder at this than I should have.

Then I remembered that I'm almost 30 now

>Do you know any good ways?
This has literally everything you need:
djt.neocities.org/
Love, Cred Forums.

AtlusUSA is shit. i bet they wait for Persona 5 release to buy a copy and start translation.

and there's some untranslated line in SMTIVA

Atlus is fucking trash

The majority of S.link dialog is unvoiced as well.

I recently found out Persona 5 is not fully voiced. Only main story parts are. Holy shit.

That's pretty much every JRPG though? They're usually a ton of hours long, you can't expect every single line of text to be voiced.

Persona is an exception, not a norm for that.

Not talking about random text when you interact with characters, if it were just that I would be fine, but there are VN like text only scenes that are not voiced.

Berseria is almost fully voiced.

I hope they go all the way for their next game.

>That's pretty much every JRPG though?

Lots of modern jrpg are fully voiced? SO5, Neptunia is fully voiced in japanese, Disgaea 5 is almost fully voiced, Berseria is almost fully voiced.

P5 is longer than all of those and probably has way more text. At the very least, the S.Links have more voice acting know. I know for sure Ranks 1 and 10 of every one are fully voiced so it's at least better than 3/4 in that department.

What is pearsona's length?

P5 is not that much longer than Berseria and Berseria has like five times the amount of voiced dialogue.

All the streamers have been clocking in around 80-100 I've seen. Shortest one I've seen so far is a poster here on Cred Forums with 70.

Kiseki evo series is fully voiced except for minor npcs and each game is at least 4 times a long as persona 5. There is no reason why major character should not be fully voiced in the vn parts of the game. It's fucking bullshit and you know it. Not only that but I am sure they are going to have even less voice acting in the english version as a result.

but P5 literally made all asset for any future console SMT game

Today I will remind them.

youtube.com/watch?v=SUMGTPH5o1c

>>Cielo was turned jamaican just for the lulz

It's funny this game up cause I just got to that part where he suddenly starts talking like that a few hours ago

>No romf
Why is HANS so fucking dead?

She sounds like a Steven Universe character

Heads will roll if my lolis sound like old hags.

little girls are the one thing english dubs can get consistently ok-ish at.

Isn't this mascot supposed to be masculine? or am I mistaken?

Yeah, but they evidently didn't tell Atlus USA that.

go fuck yourself

Hardin plz.

There is literally nothing wrong with lolis sounding like old hags when Arai Satomi does it

You mean like the unused english translation that is in the chinese version of that new Digimon game?

So I guess the answer would be you.

I fucking hate Atlus USA. Their shitty localization process is what killed my hype for SMT IV: A and P5.

more memes

Like it's even possible to translate 秀尽学校 into English.

People who play persona need to be gassed

Stop shitting up my board with dating sim bullshit and stay the fuck in

Enjoy Watch_Dogs 2!

Please keep kusogalge in Cred Forums, not /jp/. Thank you!

But doesn't nearly every other localization company do the same shit?
I'm not gonna even try to defend it but why make a thread about it and only mention Atlus? NISA is objectively worse

>NISA is objectively worse
If you only knew how bad these things are.

What's the password

寝, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=NUa4zzUs7Fs

>>literally one of the first lines that one character said within 10 mins in the american version of the game are completely non-existant in japanese version and were possible to add just because camera was looking elsewhere
>>Cielo was turned jamaican just for the lulz
>>Angel actually is not hermaphrodite in original
Sauce.
I cant believe you without proof, especially allowing the latter to happen.

I started three years ago. It's nice, I'm playing Persona 5 right now. Though I admit that while I can zip through text in games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI (and the ones before it), Persona 3+ takes longer, so Persona 5 is slow going. Took me several hours to get through the first 18 days of May because it threw cutscene after cutscene at me.

reminder that instead of this we gonna get the same bucket group of VAs who are in every other JRPG' dub

i'm learning right now

doing my anki reps every day and reading tae kim's guide

i wonder how long until i'll be able to read Yotsuba

I've never ready Yotsuba in any language, but if I was able to read Dragon Ball within a few months (not easily, and reading a single chapter took much longer than it does now), then I imagine Yostuba will be manageable in about that time frame or less.

korean is easier

I've heard people say that, but I wonder if it's really that much easier beyond the writing system. I've been studying Japanese for a few years, but I'm kinda interested in Korean too, though it's mostly the Hangul I'm interested in. Trying to find some Manhwa or something to interest me, because I'm actually not sure what to use Korean for, and the only reason I stuck with Japanese is because there's plenty of entertainment I like in Japanese.

How do you into Japanese? Just read grammar guide and do Anki until you know thousands of words and kanji?

Well from that I know the grammar system is nearly identical. tbeh the only reason I dropped japanese for korean was kanji

it sucks kinda since importing is a lot more expensive

Someone, please, help me. I'm slowly becoming convinced Dagda was completely right and I should go total Anarchy.

At first I was going to go full-on optimism Bonds route, and wanted friendship to the max.

But then fucking Nozomi:

>Hey so I'm just gonna sell you out the Hunter's Association for freeing Krishna
>I know you got tricked and had literally no way of knowing this was going to happen, but sometimes you've just gotta take your lumps and get accused of treason and almost 100% for certain get executed like a man :^)
>Oh but don't worry I'll be beside you every step of the way
>That sure sounds brave of me to say when I have absolutely nothing at stake here and won't share your punishment

And when I thought it couldn't get any worse, all the fucking Hunters dogpiled me exactly like I fucking knew they would and wanted me and Asahi executed for no reason. And Nozomi was literally no help, exactly like I knew she would be, but still trying to act fucking chipper and sweet as if it would do anything but make me even angrier at her.

And then when the fucking demons attack they throw me away like a damn scapegoat, exactly the way they bitch about Lucifer and Merkabah treating them like tools, to clean up their problem for them.

But then, when it all goes tits-up, and Asahi's dad dies and I save the day while everyone else is useless, do they thank me? No, they just give me more fucking orders.

>You're the only competent person here so please do LITERALLY EVERYTHING for us, for no recompense or respect, while we cower here and continue to hurl insults at you. No you don't get time to grieve or an apology for us heaping all this shit on your poor, innocent 15-year old friend who just lost her father
>Just do it :^)

Give me a reason why I'm wrong. Give me one fucking reason not to follow the mad Irishman and blow it all up.

I read the first Genki book, and then Tae Kim's guide. After that I started reading (should have started before), used Anki daily, translating, and playing a fuckload of JRPGs.

While I'm used to Kanji at this point, it can still be a pain. It's nice that the Koreans said fuck it 700 years ago. There was a time in the late 1800s where Japanese people tried to get Kanji reduced or nixed for several reasons, but you can see how that went. Some Japanese people still complain about it even today, someone wrote a book a few years ago about how Kanji was the downfall of Japanese.

So, Nanashi is Ramirez?

Why is that? Is it almost as hard for them as it is for us?

Arai Satomi can do whatever voice she wants and I will love it

>give me a reason why I'm wrong

Because White was the right ending and all the bullshit that happened in SMT IV A is proof.

Worse. It's more like if on top of everything Ramirez had to do he was actively blamed by his commanding officer and the rest of the military as the sole reason for his country getting invaded.

no one is right.

1.learn kana
2.read grammar guide(tae kim)
3.read nip shit

I'm at 3 but there's nothing really want to read. By that I mean, there's nothing I want to read at a grueling slow pace that makes me want to kill my self. You really have to grind books and it's taxing.

- Because they're hard to remember how to read and write.
- There's too fucking many.
- The latin alphabet is used internationally, and not using it just separates Japan from the rest of the world.
- Japanese typewriters suck youtube.com/watch?v=JHJhah1c-K0 (Not really a problem these days, but these arrangements were going on around the time the typewriter was invented)

I don't know what modern arguments are like, probably pretty similar, I know some people say that kanji conversion programs are inefficient.

Fucking this.

It's one thing to have a pation for something, but you guys are really fucking pathetic with this shit. Either fucking learn Japanese already or deal with it. You motherfuckers are broken records with this shit.

Don't they sort of need Kanji because every word has fifty meanings and applications due to their language being so phonetically limited that it doesn't support tens of thousands of words?

Because he's the one manipulating you into doing all of those things in the first place to do what he wants in the end?

Anyone got a .cia for Apocalype?
/smtg/ doesn't have one and any searches I try are fruitless.

He's only manipulated me. He didn't do a single thing to all these people around me that are using me like an expendable tool and fucking torturing the, realistically, only person I have an actual deep connection with among the cast, Asahi.

Yeah pretty much. If they axed kanji, they'd pretty much have to come up with a whole new writing system because just using kana would be very annoying. That's actually what Japanese puns are based on, the fact that everything sounds like something else. Like, the old pun "Moshi moshi? Are? Dare mo denwa ni denwa!" (Hello. Huh? No one answered the phone.), those two denwas are completely different words.

Dagda is right user. Become one with the edge and destroy the universe

3dsiso

How did they make it so far with such a language? English may have retarded pronunciations that don't match the spelling, but at least there are more than 50 spoken words in the language.

That argument is stupid because the language is spoken. Every language has homophones and you know which meaning is used via context.

Unless you're reading someone's shorthand homophones aren't a problem.

>How did they make it so far with such a language?

That's something I've wondered pretty often. That's not even getting into how ridiculously vague it can be.

Why has she never voiced a character in an eroge? I've heard her as a side character in a few, but never a heroine.

Will EOU 1 get an undub? First Atlus game with voice acting I ever bought, was super pissed when I found out there was no dual audio and dropped the game because of the Funimation-tier dub and generic VAs I've heard a million times before.

It's really sad, but at the same time it's probably a good thing because I don't know if my dick could take it.

Literally fucking this. If you hate them so much, learn jap and fuck off.

How does P4G have an undub? Isn't it on Vita?

Someone's late to the party. The Vita's been sorta hackable for a couple months at least.

oh SHIT

Maybe I'll finally get into Persona or Atlus games by finally trying this out. Sony won't ban my account, will they? Is it as easy as 3DS hacking?

Wow, that's lazy. Not very important, but lazy.

Jesus shut the fuck up you piece of shit

It's easier than 3DS modding, and extremely quick, though as of now there's no way to permanently mod it, you'll have to go to a certain URL or use an offline or Android installer every time you turn it on, though it takes less than a minute. Unfortunately not every game is available right now, and some that are don't even work. Still, there's a couple hundred I think that do work. Check /vg/s homebrew general and /r/vitapiracy, they both have different lists, neither has every piratable Vita game listed.

I can't believe I can't find the Trails in the Sky Evo games. I've only found them on Baidu, but it wants me to install something from an exe file to download them, and fuck that.

Because I'm not gonna waste my time learning a language for the sole purpose of bragging on Cred Forums and Cred Forums about how I can watch cartoons and play children's games in their native language.

The reason they don't have the original VA's in the English release is because of licensing.

>inb4 "why don't they pay for the license"
Sometimes you can't buy a license, no matter how much money you shove in their face. Sometimes there is a condition on the license that makes it stay in Japan.
So annoying how people live in their "they just want to shove their dubs down our throats everytime" bubble.

Most of the puns and references are using words that are not very common or exclusive to written literature. The language is essentially stolen Chinese without tones so a lot of it is lost in translation but most of those homophones haven't been used in literally decades (or longer).

花 and 鼻 is a common homphone (hana)
五 and 呉 is not a common homophone (go)

For reference I have literally never heard of the latter now till I was tabbing through kanji of go for weird shit.

Also in you're example that second denwa is just slang.
電話にでんわ
=
電話にでないこと

Japan does have significantly more homophones than English but it is actually not that much of an issue.

For example you have never mixed up rose (the flower) and rose (rise past tense) or rose (the color).

Or the like 72 definition of the word cut. Every language has homophones. Japanese has more (a lot more) but it is not a problem for the same reason. If you eliminate kanji people will still be able to understand the context fine. The issue is losing out on reading speed (kanji is incredibly convenient for speed reading) and reading something without context.

The latter is mostly used in manga, usually a dead guy writing something without context and expects people to make the most fucking asinine connection.

the words and the people themselves being very vague is a completely legitimate and annoying problem. Especially someone like me who grew up in a culture where no one beats around the bush.

If Atlus gave a fuck they could easily negotiate for the rights to use the Japanese audio anywhere. But they don't care.

shitty game who cares

Blame JP Atlas, not the US branch.

Yeah, what is thst user talking about. It's a life sim with half-assed dating elements

And you retards will still buy their shit translation.

I did, it was meaningless

retards

> (You)
> (You)
>retards

retard*

Without hyperbole, are the translations actually completely butchered versions of the games?
I like weeb shit but not enough to lose my mind over small things.

Because for most people, it's easier to just impotently whine on the internet about something than actively change it.

Knowing Japanese is fantastic. I'm pretty confident that it's literally the best possible investment of your time, the country is so insular that it generates an insane entertainment output compared to countries that just bring over US shows and add subtitles or dub work.

In this day and age, Japan is about as truly "foreign" as you can get.

I can watch the latest comedy variety show, follow it up with something like GCCX or Tokyo Encounter, browse Nico for a while watching old men eating and drunkenly chatting, or cute girls doing live tarot reading in yukatas, play an untranslated game from 20 years ago nobody has even heard of in the west, play the latest games without the memes or third rate translation work, and then I can fap.

If you like porn, Japan has no equal. If I don't feel like turning it up to 11, Pixiv ALONE, just looking at new uploads for tags I'm into from the last day or two, is more than enough.

>Most of the puns and references are using words that are not very common or exclusive to written literature.

>ふとんがふっとんだ
>電話にでんわ (Yes I know it's slang, but that doesn't stop it from being common)
>いっかくうさぎをいつか食う
>Not common words

I must have misunderstood something, because just about every Japanese pun I've ever seen has used common words.

>For example you have never mixed up rose (the flower) and rose (rise past tense) or rose (the color).

Maybe not that word, though I've fucked up other things before, everyone has. But you're right, it's not much of an issue.

Yes they are.

Yeah but doesn't it take years to get anywhere?

It's the best Persona since 2.

Example?

>cute girls doing live tarot reading in yukatas
I need this in my life right now.

I've seen people shit on the translations in the Persona games, and I can certainly understand in regards to the earlier ones, but I've compared a lot of Persona 3 and 4's English versions to the Japanese versions, and horrific mishandling of Japanese honorifics aside, they're mostly solid, so I don't know why people say their shit. I'm guessing it mostly comes from people who don't actually know Japanese.

I bet you "translate" for a living.

I do actually, but it's manga, and no one makes me shit all over it with memes and rewrites, I just translate normally. Not that you'll believe I'm not as bad as NoA.

I never saw that last one. That's pretty good. However yeah that's my point that is not that big of an issue.

>everyone has
I didn't understand aloud was a word til I was an adult and assumed everyone was saying allowed.

How long have you fucking been here?

Yes, it will take years. So you should start as soon as possible, instead of waiting a couple of years and thinking, "man, I could have been fluent by now".

Atlus USA are trash, and they hire very cheaply, which shows through in the quality control of the script. Honestly, for basic schlock you're just mashing through half the time instead of pouring over every detail, it's passable, they don't utterly butcher characters.

If you want a very simple example, have a listen to the first minute of the cafe opening in Catherine in both languages. It's "passable" but they made Katherine more of a cunt, and she bizarrely repeats herself multiple times because they didn't do any fucking editing work on the script to make it flow in natural English. Halfway through the game, this kind of lazy work would pass. But this is the opening introduction to the main character and his GF, for fucks sake, and they can't even get that right.

>I do actually

wwwwwwwwwww

>I never saw that last one. That's pretty good.

It was in Dragon Quest V, some random book you can read in the child portion.

>I didn't understand aloud was a word til I was an adult and assumed everyone was saying allowed.

Nah, that's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about just little misunderstandings we all have. When there's context there's pretty much never a problem.

Josh Hardon is a fucking faggot who posts lies on Neogaf. Still waiting for Persona 5 GUARANTEED 2015 RELEASE FAGGOT

>That Cthuko and Yoshinoya

STOOOOOOOOOOOOP ;_;

Are you one of those retards who also said it was Square Enix and not Nintendo who censored Bravery Default. Respond to me and I will destroy your argument yet again.

But it literally was SE that censored the game. They have the source code and changed the assets.

Explain this, Nintendo-drone. This is a PC Square Enix game. Nintendo wasn't involved in it however. Why is it not censored?

Man I am still annoyed from the translation they did, recently played the first one and I am now playing the second one and it is all over.

Bunch of butchered characters, half of the meanings lost, names (cities, characters) changed for no reason.

2 is fucking trash though. Like, actually play it instead of read the wiki, the gameplay in it might actually be the worst of any megaten game.

And I heard S-E translations were supposed to be good. Maybe they were only talking about when Alexander O' Smith was working for them.

I played it for the first time a few months ago. It was all around fine, though characters and story was its saving grace. The gameplay is kinda bad, I'll agree. I liked the gameplay in the first Persona more.

Because Nintendo told SE to censor it. But, SE did the censoring.

>However, while experience gain was increased to an amount proportional to the decreased random battle rate, money drops were left the same, resulting in a potential shortage of cash.

Didn't Fatlus do the exact same thing when they localized Thousand Arms?

It's a 50/50, sometimes it holds and sometimes it d oesn't. It has a few quirks such as one character extended their LiiIIIIiiiNNNNnnnEEEEesssSSS in that manner.

Yes and? SE was literally forced to censor the game. They had no choice. I know a dev who was forced to censor his game by his publisher against his will and he couldn't do anything about it because the contract was impossible to break. This is how cancerous publishers truly are.

I didn't really understand why Cielo was Jamaican considering he was white.

There's white guys in the Caribbean from the colonial days
youtube.com/watch?v=XJjFe9oQIN8 this guy's white but has a thick Barbadian accent

I bought the anniversary edition of the game, but I'm going to pirate the ps3 version so I can get the undub.

Game's surprisingly fun so far, and I can understand a decent portion of the story anyway. The DLC you get with this version is neat too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus USA just doesn't bother porting it over.

>I can understand a decent portion of the story anyway.

You think you do.

And if you can actually understand, no sane man would want a butchered version when they can already play the original one.

No, I go back and check the fan translations and can actually figure out a decent portion on my own. I have a very basic knowledge of japanese and anything I can't figure out my phone can help me with.

And yeah, I'm hoping they don't butcher the english release. I have hope that a lot of it can be fixed on the PS3 version though.

kekk

Do you want to earn a Ph.D in sociology too?

>If you want a very simple example, have a listen to the first minute of the cafe opening in Catherine in both languages.

The one at the very start where they're in the cafe, talking about dying in dreams and how long they've been together? I just did and I really saw nothing at all wrong with the translation, nor do I see her being a cunt in either version. Her tone of voice is different, but Japanese and Americans don't speak the same way.

>No, I go back and check the fan translations and can actually figure out a decent portion on my own.

Are you talking about games in general or Persona 5? I'm asking because I haven't seen any fan translations of Persona 5 outside of some small unimportant scenes.

Persona 5. It's easily enough to figure out the story, especially when combined with what actually happens in game. The only times I get stuck are when I have to run around town/school talking to random people, but those suck even if you can understand what's going on anyway.

mmmmmmmmmmmm that tum

Where are the fan translations? They could be useful on the occasion I miss something myself.

/pg/ on /vg/

>SNAP OUT OF IT! vs ねぇってば
If you don't see the bitch factor here, you might be a blind cunt.
>You've been a little out of it RECENTLY(...), spacing out left and right vs なんか疲れているみたいだけど(...)、さっきからボーっとしてるし
The key here is recently. That's not at all what she's saying in Japanese, the English implies that he's been completely oblivious for a while, maybe even days. The second part, in English, again implies he's been constantly spacing out, while the Japanese makes no such implication.

I don't know why I'd expect much from someone who fancies themselves a translator, but Jesus, man. Maybe you're looking at the wrong section though, because I said INTRO and you seem to be looking at the bit 10 minutes into the fucking game.

Stop sexualizing children user. It's not right.

yesssssssss

those proportions

>learn moon
>doesn't matter since everything is region locked if you're not a pirate

>not being a pirate
Kill yourself.

Why are EOPs so retarded, Anons?

They have to come up with a million excuses every day, not all of them are going to be winners.

Well, none of them are winners, but then that's what happens when you're arguing against something that's impossible to argue against.

I watched the wrong scene then. I told you I watched the first scene with them when he asks her if she's ever dreamed of dying, and she said her mother's been asking how they're doing, how long they've been together, etc. I don't know which scene you're talking about as I haven't played the game yet.

I'll still comment on what you mentioned, though take it with a grain of salt since I haven't watched it.

>SNAP OUT OF IT! vs ねぇってば

You can already see she's annoyed with てば, so "Snap out of it!" doesn't seem bad to me. And again, people use different tones of voices for different things in different cultures. But like I said, I haven't seen it, so maybe she did come off like a cunt. People say that Yukari seemed like a bitch in the English version of Persona 3, and while I've read some of her lines and watched some videos of that version, I didn't see it, but I only saw a small portion, maybe her delivery was bad in some places, a few minutes of footage is not enough to judge an 80+ hour JRPG after all.

You're right about "recently" not being in the Japanese line. I can't say if it makes sense in the situation though, there's only so much I can do without context. If he hasn't been regularly spacing out for hours or days though, then yeah, that's not a good word to use.>Maybe you're looking at the wrong section though, because I said INTRO and you seem to be looking at the bit 10 minutes into the fucking game.

I just loaded up this video youtube.com/watch?v=qUj84yamvL0 and part one of a longplay of the English version and went through it until I found a scene of the two of them talking in a cafe. All I saw before that was a woman with an absurd afro and a gameplay segment.

I'll see if I can figure out what scene you're talking about tomorrow since I'm interested, but I'm going to bed for now.

I actually want to know who the vocal audience that wants this shit is.

Where do they post about how great Atlus's changes are, where do they complain about wanting a dub only? Where do praise Atlus about censoring content or straight up removing some?

Right after the afro is the scene I'm talking about, it's like 40 seconds long and then the game moves into gameplay.

Various forums and fb/twitter/tumblr.

They had their own forum before. NISA's forum is also notorious for this shit, pure unadulterated cancer.

Games seem to be a progressive art form. It's okay, even wanted, to alter art to cater towards a larger audience. Or could it be, that games are just toys?

>Various forums
I've only seen NeoGAF praising censorship and some fags on Gamefaqs praising the games being dub-only.

Even fucking GAF wants dual audio.