Is it misunderstood?

Is it misunderstood?

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/gone-home-review
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's an almost purely narrative driven """game""", it doesn't pretend to be a puzzle game or an action game, or a platformer etc, it's simply an on the rails interactive story.

It cannot be misunderstood, it's concept is so basic.

I ironically like this game.
It's relaxing just walking around this house and looking at things.

Cred Forums's butthurt over this game/notgame was absolutely pathetic. Who the fuck cares if Polygon or whoever thinks it was great? It doesn't affect shit.

Cred Forums will jerk itself off over some other stupid crap because of "muh feels" or "muh waifu" but when the mainstream does it, it's apparently a vidya holocaust.

So much exposition for a "they're ghey!" ending. And then you literally have nothing else to do.

It's a nice house and it's comfy as shit.

The issue is that the sister story is 80% of the game and it's so fucking generic. You replace the girl with a guy and it's not a story of lesbians it's just "wow my sister tried to run away with her shitty scene kid boyfriend who she does stupid hipster shit with".

The dad being a hack writer and the mom cucking him at her forest job were much more interesting things but the story is very much "my gay sister" and it's a boring story.

It's a very short and to the point walking sim with a nice house to walk through and I'd give it a 5/10 where shit like Beginner's Guide is a straight up 1/10. If every shitty game journalist didn't give it GOTY it'd be completely ignored and that would be fine.

>then you literally have nothing else to do
lol, what, did you think it was an open world game or something?

This sums up my thoughts 100%.

I liked the story, but it sort of fell apart in the third act. Everything after the gf going into jrotc or whatever felt really cheesy and rushed.

I liked it overall though. 6/10

2deep4me

but Cred Forums DOES misunderstand it - they think it's some sort of SJW manifesto, a treatise about gay pride and an attempt at becoming the Citizen Cane of Video Games, when it was just a simple story game about going around a house listening to audio tapes.

To be fair, the gaming press misunderstood it as well, and it's THAT image of the game that Cred Forums despises.

I see the classic Cred Forums contrarianism is kicking now to the point that nu males are actually defending this overpriced trash.

Yes.

fuckin carpet munchers

Yup its a typical I like it because Cred Forums hates it 6/10

I wouldn't even call it a game. story was shit. felt like a waste of fucking time.

If you actually want a good game in the same style, go play stanley parable.

> Spec Ops was a simple story about shooting guns
> Planescape Torment was a simple story about some forgetful guy
> Metal Gear Solid was a simple story about sneaking around

I can cherry-pick too, newfriend

the thing is that games have been "telling stories" via collectible audio tapes since system shock, to the extent that it's become at best a meme and at worst an embarrassment. and gone home was made by ex-irrational employees

it's the same shit over and over and there's real dissonance between the idea of what the game accomplishes and reality. the reality is worse than mundane, it's unoriginal, and the game gets praised for its originality so its tiresome

Virginia made me appreciate Gone Home a lot more. I never considered Gone Home much of a game, but when compared to Virginia, it's fucking Space Invaders.

>it's another "only sane man" diatribe
Here's your (you), now fuck off to plebbit

what gets me is that it presents the tapes to you in such a linear order. Just letting the player wander around and listen to the tapes in any order and attempt to piece together the story would have been much more interesting.

Of course, the story itself is still boring, so it would still suck. And the actual gameplay is basically a non-factor.

Like you say, it covers no new ground, and never should have gotten the praise it got. If it hadn't, it wouldn't have deserved all the hate it got, either. It could've just been peacefully forgotten.

...that's not what cherry-picking is. And that guy is absolutely right, Cred Forums blew everything out of proportion and starting exaggerating every tiny thing in the game, all because some retards gave it good reviews.

It's a walking simulator with 90s nostalgia and a sappy story about lesbian highschool puppy love. It's not particularly pretentious or in your face or anything other than straightforward and simple, really.

>the game gets praised for its originality
I don't remember a single review saying it was original.

I drew this after finishing it for the first time a couple of years ago. Needless to say, I was pretty frustrated with it.

I am willing to go back to it and give it a fair second chance though.

ign.com/articles/2013/08/15/gone-home-review

First article I clicked on google.

Its not the game itself that bothers me, you might find this a bit confusing, but when somebody says or comes up to me and spergs out "WOW THIS GAME IS ONE OF THE BEST EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE" i cannot help but roll my eyes, same when i read 10/10 reviews, is like they haven't read a single book or even watch movies with a complex plot. They strike me as people who are either too easily impressed or did not get the point of the game in the slightest

It was designed with replay value as an afterthought.

>I disagree with EVERYONE, therefore I'm right! I literally can't be wrong!

What's your point? That's like half the games in existence. Gone Home could be the world's more complex puzzle-laden adventure game in history and it wouldn't change that fact.

The only use of the word "original" here is in describing the themes in the blurb next to the score. And in fact this review compares it to other games suggesting that nothing specific about the mechanics is original.

>Someone was rump roasted enough about someone else's opinion to make this

it was advertised as a horror game

It's misleading

There is no way to know to do all that when you first start playing. Either way "you can finish it in 30 seconds" is a pointless complaint when you consider the point is to explore and absorb the story. I can start reading a book on the last page but that doesn't mean I read the book.

There are plenty of good reasons to think Gone Home is stupid, boring, lame, overhyped, etc., but "you can beat it really quickly if you know what to do" is not one of them.

You're completely correct. The reason I don't like the game is that it relies pretty much solely on subversion from the stereotypical first person horror game genre. I find that just gimmicky

The overwhelming praise by paid reviewers stinks of nepotism.

But it wasn't a horror game. At best, it was more like a thriller that some people overhyped as something like a horror.

I think if Gone Home wasn't $20, a lot of people would be less hostile towards it.

That's a reasonable assumption, $10 at most, but when the game can be completed in under an hour (once you know what to do), anything more than that is just highway robbery. Even games with NG+ that let you beat the title that quickly usually last quite a few hours before you reach that kind of record.

To an extent. Yes, the story involves a hamfisted high school lesbian narrative which tickled critics pink for being all progressive and shit, and yes the atmosphere does somewhat suggest something resembling a horror game when it really isn't. However, I think both critics and detractors missed this game's core accomplishment - it does an excellent job of telling a story through its environment, without bogging the player down in needless exposition. Even when Sam chatters away at the player (the worst part of the storytelling for the record, and it should've been removed) you can still move around and continue to explore. I do wish it told an actually good story and I wish it much of a video game at all but I must give credit where it's due - vidya would be better off if more games adopted Gone Home's storytelling methods. I have zero qualms about doing away with cutscenes and letting the environment speak for itself, and if nothing else Gone Home is fantastic at doing this.

I agree, but I feel like Metroid Prime did its environmental storytelling just as well, if not better.

>I completely invent arguments on behalf of everybody I disagree with so I can strawman them to death! I even CAPITALIZE certain words like a thirteen year old with ADHD! Pay attention to me!!!!!!!

Prime is another fantastic example but even it has moments where control is taken away for cutscenes, however briefly it may do so. Gone Home completely subverts this; I can't recall a single moment where a cinematic was forced upon me aside from the very beginning and the brief closing fade-out. Now, not all stories can work with such a method but Gone Home suggests that it's viable, and I don't think it's done often enough.

It's a shitty visual novel marketed as the second coming of video gaming and the arbiter of all that is now currently wrong with the industry today.

>visual novel
Please stop misusing this term. Just call it a walking simulator like everyone else.
>marketed as the second coming of video gaming
that did not happen
>arbiter of all that is now currently wrong with the industry
Pretty sure you mean "harbinger" and that's dumb because there were very popular walking sims before this game, and it didn't affect anything. Indieshit on Steam was and will be indieshit with or without Gone Home.

The thing is, nobody who praised it is still talking about it today. I swear it's brought up more often to bash it than to praise it.

No user, it's not misunderstood. It's purposely shilled just to push a narrative.

This game did not get it's high scores based on merrit. They got it because they knew people in the gaming journalism industry. In fact, the devs were personal friends of these corrupted gaming "journalist".

>Gone Home
>visual novel

?

Are you the same third worlder from all the old Gone Home threads? For some reason when these threads were common, there were always these foreigners with iffy English having really strong opinions about it. Foreignbros, do you care a lot about social issues with American vidya or something?

can you point to where there is "iffy English" in that post?

English major here. >tfw
What are you smoking, user? Somewhat awkward phrasing, but nothing brutally terrible.

It is what it is. If someone does another similar game it will look like a rip off.

I enjoyed it but did not like Undertale or Life is Strange.

I didn't say terrible, I said iffy.
>it's
>merrit
>corrupted (not incorrect, but much less common than "corrupt")
>journalist

Also, I asked because I wasn't sure. I remember much more of it in the old threads.

user, it's not that he's a foreigner just because he made a few grammar errors here and there. It's that you're a grammar nazi.

Nah man. You get a sense for these things.

>gone home
>not gone homo

yeah its misunderstood

Yea, people thought it was a videogame.