How's that game coming, Cred Forums?

How's that game coming, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/tanks-tutorial
somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade
kickstarter.com/projects/143870832/home-free-0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bumperoonie

Is it possible to test an iOS app without having an iPad/iPhone?

WEEEEEE!
FUN!
give me money and you too can have this fun

how are these coming and dying so quickly.

That bottom pic actually looks pretty stylish.

Remember, Ortho to make a 3d RTS style camera

The more frequently it happens, the more shitposters will come. Look at /agdg/
This thread should be at most once per day and not recurring like it is lately

How can you know posting your game here wont get your ideas stolen?

I wouldn't mind actually. I would be ecstatic for more games in the genre i'm working on

Jokes on them, my ideas are already stolen ideas.

>Unity

>implying a thief has competence to finish a game

Ideas are a dime a million. They mean nothing unless you work on them and find success.

Because I'm almost already finished
but also this

in my game, you can do ANYTHING

>Gamemaker

it isn't

I've got an idea, I can code, but how do I develop?

Slowly.

Easy game, but I don't have a lot of time.

It's multiplayer.

I'm trying to figure out parabola movement speed scaling.

I need 48 icons of very specific, atypical sizes but I can't draw

by translating your idea into codes.
are you retarded?

I posted an idea once. Someone successfully kickstarted for 100 grand.

My laziness paid off for someone else.

Pick a language any language.

It's a Unity tutorial.

Its not so much I'm indecisive on a language, its just I have trouble developing\designing structure.

Like said I just must be retarded.

Ok, I'll bite
What kind of style are you going for?

Slow, but steady

So you cant code if you had to ask that massive faggot. Also ive never heard anyone that actually knows programming languages use the word "code" or "coding" as a verb. Usually only aspies

anything but pixel art, but otherwise it doesn't matter too much. right now it's just a proof of concept/prototype demo, so anything will do because none of the other art in the game matches any specific style

the game is basically a clone of might and magic 6 though. I was thinking maybe just make 1 weapon of each type, then add a small tint/label to it to indicate tier 1-6.

>not using a framework instead of an engine

Cringe

keep it up though buddy

>implying there's a difference.

An engine is a framework.

do I play as the cutie wolfie

Ok, I'll help out, but I'm not sure how large the Icon need to be.
I assume IconWidth and IconHeight are ratios.

Ritalin and game dev.

Let's go.

inb4 I spend 4 straight hours on something stupid.

I started getting into gaymaker cause a bunch of anons swear that as soon as they get into gamedev it cures their depression, they turn from neet to ceo, their dick grows 8 inch, and girls they meet on the streets wanted to give them rimjobs.
I started gamedev and it just makes me want to kill myself even more. What the fuck anons?

yeah each unit is 50px, so 1x4 is 50x200. I can change any of the sizes if I want to, so like... it seems like tower shield should be bigger than buckler even though they're both listed as 3x3. as long as they're in intervals of 50px and they're all roughly proportional to each other I can make it work

if you actually do want to make stuff and this thread dies you can send it to me at [email protected]

slowly
gonna replace all my placeholder with geometric abstract shit

was going to draw actual stage art, but it turns out that I can't sprite for shit and I'm sure as fuck not getting someone else on the project

don't care that much, my game is kind of a clone anyway (it hurts for me to say it, I really want to make it stand out in some way, but I just want a fun, fast platform game)

if I feel like actually sitting down and working on my game, I feel amazing and like I have some purpose
once I stop/can't bring myself to get to work, I realize that everything is still awful and if I ever completed and sold it, I'd make like $100 tops in a best case scenario

It's going all right, but I'm currently away from my Windows machine and only have my Linux laptop, so no GameMaker for the week. I tried running Studio via Wine but it had issues.

Same here. Trying to learn Godot in the meantime. Doubt I'll drop GMS for it any time soon, though.

Lost it at latex. Fucking retarded language for IEEE papers.

well yeah, that's exactly what it is. who the fuck uses latex to code

Sure, she's a party member and you can put her in the front row if you want to, but the actual MC is a human monk (the bald guy is a placeholder)

>Pretending you know anything about anything. Your rèddit is showing. Fucking faggot

How do you like Godot?
Pretending you had an option at the very beginning, which one would you go with?

link ?

>tfw no cute idea guy and mtf artist to make a game with

>tfw no sprite artist who can draw cute animal people

Not bad, made good progress on my exterior overworld map in the past two days. Once that's done I'm gonna shift my focus back to audio, mechanics, and maybe adding things in the maps.

Pic not related but similar vibes.

Not going for a "old school" aesthetic just 2d because I'm not ready to hang with the big boys in 3D just yet.

Deviant Art has shit like that, but you'll have to ask those edge lords if it's ok to use.

>mfw learning Ruby
Why in the everloving fuck did the RPG Maker devs switch to Java in MV?

Because Ruby is a ded meme technology.

I know.

So far, I'm liking it.
The scripting feels loose like in GML and easy to pick up.
The interface is pretty different, so setting up "objects"/"rooms" and shit is kinda confusing at first.

I think I'd have gone with Godot since it's open-source/free. I like GMS, but I'm worried it will change too much for the worse when GMS2.0 comes, in which case I'd have to stick with an outdated version or pay up for something I might not like.

Plus Godot can export to various platforms at no extra charge. However, as far as I know, you can't export to iOS, which I'd like an option to have since they pay up more. Hopefully I'll become proficient using both engines.

ruby is literally hipster tier and anybody who can code uses other languages.

>contributing nothing, only consuming

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/tanks-tutorial

Ruby on Rails is still pretty popular
otherwise yeah it's dead

You... areafuckingmoron

I'm doing the networking.

By "doing the networking", I mean copying from a tutorial.

I haven't used it, but what's wrong with it?

RoR has been dying fast over the last 6 months. It's about as popular as Django now.

How well do the tutorials teach you? Should I look up youtube tutorials, or are the GM tutorials enough?

Anyone know a good place to upload a demo? I have something that I've been working on for a month and I'm not sure of a good way to distribute.

It's thrown together with Unity, it's short, but it's my first experiment and I'm fishing for feedback

itch.io

anybody compose here? I'm curious how to find/install new "gamey" sounding synths in logic pro. I've only ever used the defaults.

Depends on the tutorial and you.
A tutorial will only teach you as much as you learn.
But give them a try, it's not for everyone though.
IMO GM tutorials aren't enough.

Nice work, and keep it up. Don't expect useful feedback until you've put much more time into it though.

this looks pretty good but you should definitely change that font

No. But even worse, you won't even be able to playtest on an iOS device without a Mac.

My advice is work on a system that autoscales your game properly and test on an Android since they have similar structures.

Google some free chiptune vsts stuff like synths and effects m8

Way too easy.
Even Alice is harder.

ruby's syntax may be beautiful but its performance a shit

at least put in some effort into making your shitpost believable

Really I thought something like RPG maker would be considered the "easy" engine.

I couldn't understand the joke on C++ and HTML, and I know about those two.
Also, is the Ruby joke implying the users are gay?

Come up with your idea first and find a tutorial that is similar.

Create the tutorial, then go through the lessons again and change what you need to make it work for your idea.

This is the basics of any type of programming. It can take years to have good overall understanding of a language, so it's best to just cheese it unless you really need to know the language.

Just something I picked up form webdev where the technology used changes every 3 months.

Can I make a game within your game where I can do anything?

dropbox

>can program well, wrote an entire engine in C

>can't draw worth shit
>can't make music at all, don't even know where to start learning
>absolutely no ideas for a game in the first place

I wouldn't comment on RPGmaker because I've never used it, unlike Unity.

But whatever, man. Use either the engine/language you know or the engine that tackles your genre the best.

If you want to make an RPG or Graphic Novel, you're gonna save a lot of time if you use RPGmaker.
If you want to make a 2D game, you're gonna benefit a lot from GameMaker: Studio.
If you want to make a 3D game, you're gonna have to do twice the work if you don't use Unity.

Mega is great, gives you 50 GB to store stuff.

how did they know to all fall asleep like that

dog > cats

I want to learn how to code shaders. what do?

Go away evil dogger.

owner drugged them and moved them into position

>druggy dog
thats amazing

Shaders in what? Unity? Unreal? OpenGL?
pick something and google tutorials

a/s/l?

would it be wise to make an rpg in gamemaker

Literally doesn't matter since pretty much all shaders are written in HLSL or GLSL.

It's true though. Where do you think the sudden boom of hair-colored useful buzzwordy buzzbuzz idiots came from?

It's really easy to make a game on Unity, heck, you can literally open a new file, drag a default prefab/asset into the scene and you have a fully-working 3D cube with jumping and collision physics and WASD movement that you didn't even assign yet. It blew my fucking mind the first time I did this.

I mean, I'm not saying Unity is a bad engine, it's cool and does 3D really well and collaborative projects really well, but holy fuck is it easy. It doesn't help either that the community revolves around shared (stolen) assets to reduce the effort put into a project even further.

I can see why Unity is becoming the industry standard, but why did it come to this? I would take literally any language than C fucking #.

14/F/TX

How do successful indie developers find dedicated, responsible team members?

It's certainly isn't easier than fucking Alice of all things. Also, you can do the same prefab shit in UE4, so it's kind of a moot point. User friendliness is a must if you want people to use your software.

It's easy to get started in Unity, but actually making good shit in it takes effort

money

In GML

with async_load[? "buffer"]
what does the '?' mean? Is it a ternary asking if it's a buffer?

You don't. No one will be more passionate about your project than you are unless they are there from the beginning and helped create the idea. That's why people pay people because money makes motivation, which is pretty closely related to passion.

It's not designed for it and you're going to have to do a whole lot of work manually. Your battle system, overworld encounters, NPC management, all the different menus, etc. RPG Maker is much more friendly on that front. That's why kids and idiots can easily knock something out with the default engine and assets, giving it something of Fisher-Price toy reputation.

But if you put in the work, GM is plenty serviceable. As you probably already know, Undertale made the big bucks. The Barkley Gaiden devs even switched from RPG Maker to Game Maker, though that was RPG Maker 2000 which was ridiculously inflexible compared to recent versions.

Which one was it?

the one that never happened

Do you guys have any recommendations for GML learning resources outside of the yoyo forums, and the community managers youtube channel?

Thanks for the tip, hadn't heard of itch.io before. Just set up a small page and uploaded the current version.

somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade

It's pretty similar.
You are a cat that wakes up in the downtown of a city. You don't know how you got there so you try to head home. You have to avoid random animals while you scavenge for food in the city to survive.
Once you return home your dickhead owner takes you to the pound isn't happy because he abandoned you. You're rescued and the game ends with you in a nice warm bed with a bowl of food and water by your side.
I was saying you could get funding from PETA because it shows the hardships abandoned animals go through and they will throw money at anything that sends a message. Plus abandoning animals is a dick move.

kickstarter.com/projects/143870832/home-free-0

They changed it to a dog instead of a cat and took out the peta stuff.

>This got a $98k
>I couldn't get anyone to fund my Panzer Dragoon styled RPG.

It was going to be cool, you were going to get to be able to raise dragons and then fly on them and fight and other cool shit.

Marketing and appeal my man. Gotta go all out on shilling

>It was going to be cool, you were going to get to be able to raise dragons and then fly on them and fight and other cool shit.
What do you have right now to convince me to give you money?

Post a webm of the prototype.

You do have one, right?

Nothing, I sold the rights to my friends startup company and he's turning it into an Occulus game. At least made $8,000 off of it.

>Need to start shilling relatively soon so I can pay people to help work on my game

Getting there but not quite. Wouldn't ask if I didn't need it either, and then it'd come with the pressure. Either way what would you need to see before you decided to contribute to a patreon or something like that?

you think they copied you?
i think it's a pretty obvious idea

With a working prototype about a year after I gave it to a "tell me your game ideas Cred Forums!" thread.

I never would have made it anyways, but it's a good reason not to share ideas I intend to make.

huh, well then that's a bit more suspicious, seeing how some idea-less developer might want to make a thread like that, hoping for something exactly like what you posted