What are some games where you play as a nobody?

What are some games where you play as a nobody?
I'm talking as close to a faceless mook with nothing special as you can get.

Pic unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KyWiJ-g1ycg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP'S life

Ramza is a nobody.

In the winds of history, he doesn't even exist.

He got un-personed by what was left of the nobility.

People generally don't write stories or make games about faceless mooks. A faceless mook exists to die to make important characters look cooler, that doesn't make for a very fun gaming experience.

If the game you wanted existed you would have to lose your first fight and then the game ends.

Well I mean close to it, like the old Thief games. Garret is pretty much a nobody, just some street orphan who got trained; no special powers or anything.

Too many games now have you controlling god avatars, its a bit boring to kill hundreds of people by pressing a couple buttons.

FTL

>that doesn't make for a very fun gaming experience.

I actually like games like these (for example KotoR or Shadow run)

Final fantasy xii

(and x in a weird way)

Don't you end up a lightsaber using demigod in Kotr?

What you're asking for then is that you start off as nobody special before becoming the strongest guy in the universe, not that you want to play as a faceless mook.

Just play MMOs; where everybody is super, duper special and chosen, yet anything worth accolades will rape your shitter out through your mouth hole if you fight it alone.

Republic Commando

the original battlefront games were great for this reason, it was cool to just be a faceless footsoldier in that universe and see what war was like for people without magic space fairy powers

Etrian Odyssey games as long as you stay away from the story modes in the Untold remakes. Your guild is entirely made up of generic characters.

A lot of roguelikes and roguelike influenced games, actually. Ziggurat's another. Sure you're a mage, but youre a shitty apprentice mage who's expected to die.

Dark Souls is another, you're referred to as "chosen" but the main NPC that says that is a confirmed liar.

Demon's Souls you're just the guy that happened to fix the problem out of the dozens throwing themselves headfirst into it.

White knight Chronicles, your created character is a friend to the main character.

>Tree of Savior
>everyone is the chosen one
>NPC tells you that you're the REAL chosen one and all the others are decoys for your sake

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. The game even starts out by mocking you, saying that the Orb you seek at the bottom of the dungeon might not even be real, and that you are throwing your life away for a fable. And even as you grow in power and become stronger and stronger, each new encounter remains a challenge. Even the greatest of characters can die damn swiftly if they make one wrong move.

Papers, Please
It is, in fact, the whole point.

>White Knight Chronicles
is it any good? Or even the sequel? I heard you practically need to play online to fully play the game

Brilliant!

It's average, buy WKC 2 it has an improved version of 1 w it

mordheim city of the damned has you playing a band of random soldiers/mercenaries/rats so I guess that kind of counts.

MMOs need to just abandon the special hero idea. Imagine how awesome it would be to have an MMO where everyone is just a soldier, no flashy effects or anything. For raids you have to get an actual army together to kill one of the special hero types.

It's terrible and for the first at least your custom character cannot get a mech without online, which is shutdown

Shadow of the Colossus makes you feel like you don't matter at all. You're supossed to be a hero of some kind, but not because someone or a lot of people expects so, but because you just want to save someone. Also, you spend all of the game basically alone.

But I mean you posses a (stolen?) mystical sword. That alone kinda makes you special, even if it's not your sword.

>A faceless mook exists to die to make important characters look cooler, that doesn't make for a very fun gaming experience.
>Im-fucking-plying
youtube.com/watch?v=KyWiJ-g1ycg

Recettear pretty much fits that bill.

You couldn't get a knight for your character in 1 at all, but in 2 you don't need online to unlock it. Also it's a decent game, just isn't Dark Cloud 3.
He stole the sword, that doesn't make him special.

There should be a game where your main purpose is to remain as Insignificant as possible and if you start standing out too much you lose the game.

Like if you get in a fight with someone and you choose to fight back and beat them up, you lose the game.

I think it sounds like a pretty good idea.

>if you decide to play the game you lose

It is.

Go Ranger in EDF, snowflake potential is entirely down to the weapons you bring to mission and even then most of his are grounded anyway (assault rifles, shotguns, grenades and such). Can even herd up or follow the AI grunts and fight as squads while all chanting battle cries and singing the EDF war song.

Believe it or not you can have games about avoiding attention or combat. Normally stealth games.

Every mmorpg ever? when the game actually has lots of players you're pretty much a nobody unless you're one of those nerds who started playing early and have all the legendary bullshit

Online FPSs
Roguelikes
Mount and Blade
In fallout 1 it is implied that you're one of many "chosen ones" told that because you're just a useless nobody

You can have your waifu back, sorry user

Give me back my waifu you son of a bitch

>expose a conspiracy by the church to force both kingdoms into a war
>members of the church using unholy power
>get branded as a heretic and lose everything
>be the one person who does the right thing and live up to his father's name
>presumed to have died to stop the Bloody Angel
>forgotten by history

I liked it better when Ramza died in the end; he was too good for that terrible world.

In FFXII you're pretty much a guy who happens to be close to the protagonist

I actually never kidnapped your waifu since she's fucking shit.

>MMO
>theres a chance for a few players to become the chosen ones

Ah no, there is one chosen one per server. If you kill them you become the chosen one.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2

why are her tiny tits so saggy

>now I'm the giant rat, cool! surprise!

>if you kill your enemies, they win

Trudeau/10

Bullshit. You just don't want to play a character who actually has to work to get good at what they do, you want a borderline Mary Sue who's got easy access to that power. You don't feel cool playing the average joe but to me the most exhilarating fights are when it's clear that's the case but they've still gotta try and make that stand against something a whole lot deadlier than them. Japan takes this to the nth degree by having you fight Gods but that's still the crux of battles like that. Just need something that even Cloud seems like a regular guy to go up against.

Being on the other side of that made the showdown with your friend in Infamous 2's "evil" ending powerful as fuck. Especially when it's ultimately as one-sided as people like you want it to be.

Etrian Odyssey