Are Fighting games dying?

Nah

They were already dead 10 years ago. SSIV briefly revived them, but now they're flatlining again.

I love that picture.

Idc I only like Melee

Nice to see a lot of different franchises together in a long action pose.

What is Shadow doing there?

SFV is really stale, and SF is basically the life blood of fighting games right now. Unless there is some new fighting game that blows everybody's minds and creates tons of press and tournament hype or SFV improves a fuck load of bad things I would say fighting games are going to level out and start dieing after this year.

What is Batman doing there?

Choose you character Cred Forums

Not really. MKX sold tons of copies and Tekken 7 is looking to hit big aswell. But damn if SFV didn't needlessly hurt the genre. That game lost tons of casuals to games like Overwatch instead. Things are going to get geared down for a year or two. More safe bets and popular ideas over risks and novelty.

They're coming close. Outside of SF, we have maybe Guilty Gear and Mortal Kombat, and then there's Smash, but autists ruined it beyond repair and Smash is more or less popular because of how many "star" characters it uses. I don't even recall that many new fighters since that one robot game Cred Forums was shilling and Skull GIrls

figthan died for me when MK and SF starting making characters DLC instead of unlockable personally

Is that neck even real?

>Outside of SF, we have maybe Guilty Gear and Mortal Kombat
You forget Tekken. Which is a consistent multi-million seller. Also a new Soul Calibur is in the works.

5>7>6
honorable mention to 10 for the extra weapon pocket

>a new Soul Calibur is in the works.
heh

Their Twitter is active and Bamco reps have repeatedly stated that the series will go on.

They made a Saint Seiya fighting game?

As dead as they were before SF4. No one should have actually expected the popularity to last, they just returned to the same niche.

>Bamco reps have repeatedly stated that the series will go on.
>last time they said this they released a singleplayer only mobile game
heh

Why is Petey there?

Glasses in the middle is guaranteed top tier once you figure out how to use him

Brave Sodiers and Soldier's Soul. They played kinda meh, like watered down Naruto UNS. The should make the next one play like jojo Asb only better

i love this picture so much, damn

I just want another flood of shitty fighting games that were so bad they looped around to being fun

>tfw you just want a fun fightgame that a lot of people play but SFV is the most boring bullshit ever

>every fighter that isn't sf5 or mkx is practically dead
this shit is on life support

>SFV casualized, both casuals and pros are already bored with it
>GGxrd casualized, most people went back to ac
>3D KoF looks like ass
>mahvel dead
>Who even plays 3D fighters?

Tekken and smash will probably live forever though. But fighting games are slowly going the way of the RTS.

>>mahvel dead
truly the worst, I just want it on PC

>capcom is dead in the water at this point
Why does it have to be this way

No.

It was already a pretty niche genre but SFIV arrived at such a perfect moment that it drew in lots of new blood and an absurd amount of attention as well as old players. Basically a perfect storm that revitalized the scene but Capcom started pissing away what little trust and their customers had in them.

As much as I hate to admit it, SF is a big series and one that is one of, if not the poster child for the scene. I don't quite know if lightning could've struck twice with SFV, but Capcom's consistent string of fuck ups basically guaranteed SFV will not hit IV levels of sales. When the flagship series or at least the biggest for your genre limps onto the scene and shits itself you can expect overall interest to dwindle.

The genre will likely stick around but have a smaller fanbase this generation. Capcom could've maybe had a flood of new blood like all the 09rs but they fucked it up. On the posituve this may entice SF-only players to branch out and try other fighters.

Because the old ass japanese men running these japanese videogame companies are so goddamn out of touch with the market of today that they make their companies look like they fucking despise the idea of making money.

>3D KOF looks like ass

Graphics and some character shenanigans aside, it's probably the most fun I've had with a fightan game in a while. Actually started meeting people locally to play and found a place that has fight nights every two weeks. Fun shit.

conman lineup.

Fighting games suffer from the same problem as RTS games, in order to really enjoy them you need to enjoy the strong competitive nature of the genre. A lot of people simply just don't like it and choose to play something more casual, explaining why smash can be growing in popularity.

>in order to really enjoy them you need to enjoy the strong competitive nature of the genre.
Not at all. Series like Tekken do well precisely because casuals can just pick and play. You don't need to be competitive to enjoy fighting games with friends.

>Since that one robot game

Anyone know which game? I don't think I've ever heard of it

Rising Thunder. It was Seth Killian's attempt to kill the genre and turn it into MOBA. Glad it died.

>GGxrd casualized, most people went back to ac
That's one big pile of bullshit if I've ever seen it

What symbol does this make

Aside from smash, i really liked soul calibur 2.
But yeah it's pretty dead.

The Engineer

>rising thunder
>moba
SF drones really are delusional