What's your opinion on achievements? Like them? Hate them? Or just don't care?

What's your opinion on achievements? Like them? Hate them? Or just don't care?

Don't care. Turn off the notifications if possible.

Theyre just there to cover the fact that you're just doing the same shit over and over the whole game.

As a completionist, I fucking hate them.

It's bullshit that forces me to compromise between my completionism and my refusal to use guides.

Between hate and don't care. The fact they are there doesn't bother me. The fact they are on by default and plastered all over my profile like some kind of badge of honor really pisses me off.

I just want to play the game; I don't need a flashing distraction that breaks immersion because I managed to reach some checkpoint, like beating a boss.

Does it trigger you running into an unnobtainable achievement? Like a multiplayer achievement for a game that had it's servers shut down, or an achievement for being early access/kickstarter adopet?

Eh its weird, like on my 360/xbone, I'll occasionally scroll through achievements and see if i'm really close to getting an achievement and try to get it

on Steam I barely remember they're even there and I don't care for them at all

I think they are stupid but I am mostly apethetic to their existence. If I played anything that had achievement popups I might learn to hate them real fast.

love/hate them.

the competition with friends is fun but then it becomes less about the game and more about getting the trophy/achievement

Like them, they give me a reason to try out games in a ways I wouldn't have no reason to try, like Foxiest of the Hounds in Deus Kek

They become annoyance the second they become criteria like in WoW where retards required from you to have achi for some dungeon to invite you to that dungeon.

they're fun but i dont go out of way to get them all. 55-60% is enough for me to call it a day.

Hate them

Their only functions are to give autistic nerds something to enjoy with virtually no effort and the have essentially done away with cheat codes completely

I like them, they're incentives to try different things you might have not done otherwise. At the same time, they can also spoil secrets and easter eggs, which is a shame

theyre good and give the game replay value depending on if you like the game in the first place to go for all the achievements imo its pretty satisfying going for 100 percent on your favorite games

I don't really care about them but if I really enjoy a game I'll just go ahead and get them, why not if I'm playing it anyway. Got about 8 platinums so far for games I enjoyed. The only ones I hate are multiplayer only achievements/trophies. These games won't have communities forever.

Doesn't care. They only good to proof some people you beat Ninja Gaiden on MNM for example but otherwise completely useless. I like when I get some reward after completing a challenge, like getting costumes in Devil May Cry or secret weapon\characters but if it's just some abstract trophy which doesn't affect gameplay whatsoever, why even bother? Have this shit turned off on my PS3.

>people want you to do the dungeon before they'll invite you to do the dungeon

Man, how does stupid shit like that get started?

I'm a big achievement whore with mixed feeling

The reason I prefer consoles. I know it's the cool thing to hate them but they're my favorite.

I hate them when they're tried to fucking retarded shit in RPGs that prevents me from showing how much I like the game by making a trophy "use this one thing 2000 times" when even doing it once is tedious enough.
When they make me question who would even put in such ridiculous amounts of time for something so monotonous and pointless, I give up.

Coincidentally that is a lot.

I preferred them being handled differently.

like a hidden special difficulty or something.

not a checklist of bullshit.

im tired of games giving me 'achievements' just for doing main story missions / beating bosses everyone beats.

i know devs use it as a way to see how far people got in their game, but... come on.

games that COULD USE achievements dont even fucking have them (starsector, brigador)

and games like SPAZ have them just for collect-a-thon bullshit.

Star Ocean The Last Hope was the worst for that. Whoever stuck with it to get that platinum/100% whatever is no doubt a tortured soul.

Seriously, what the fuck were some of those trophies?
>Get this exact damage number on this exact enemy.

I remember them being really fun to get in halo 3 because halo 3 was my first Xbox 360 game so achievements felt like they were a halo thing - like the achievement for getting a overkill online in solo felt just like a game play challenge more so than just some dumb epeen number.

They were cool because you also got in game armor and shit too.

But no aside from that I could care less about stuff like play this game on every difficulty for 50g

This.

Pointless since they don't unlock things in the game or anything like that.

Don't care.

This so much
I'm an autistic competionist and there's nothing more triggering than an achievement that sucks away the fun or unobtainable due to dead servers/multiplayer and bullshit feats such as doing a 720 no scope ladder shot with a desert eagle and getting five headshots with one bullet. I don't mind achievements in single players like completing a level under a certain difficulty or conditions since those provide replayibility and a challenge. Don't make stupid retarded achievements like a Kickstarter funder achievement or become number one on the global leaderboards, like holy shit my autism is going crazy

I try to 100% them if I'm enjoying the game and you can't lock yourself out of any in a single playthrough
Otherwise I don't care

While I think achievements should reward the player for exceptional performance, I don't like when I'm unable to get all of them. I feel a need to do them to truly finish a game.

Achievements killed game cheats and became a staple for autistic kids to buy more vidya to collect them.