How come that despite nowadays hardware being several orders of magnitude more powerful this game that runs on a 26...

How come that despite nowadays hardware being several orders of magnitude more powerful this game that runs on a 26 years old hardware and it's at this point 16 years old still features the best sprite work ever?

Did devs become lazy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-HYRTJr8EyA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No one is willing to slave away anymore.
You can't even pay the Chinese to slave for you because they're not talented enough

Hi-res sprites are not a cost-efficient solution, so they went the way of the dinosaur.
More than laziness, it's about business.

I could watch this forever
youtube.com/watch?v=-HYRTJr8EyA

because great artists are rare
additionally games arent a passion anymore for many devs, its an industry
also great sprite based games are not exactly common these days, all we get is indie trash

>played metal slug 3 yesterday

yeah that's one thing of indie game that annoys me to no end.

They pretend they have a "retro artstyle" when in reality what we get is garbage spritework that looks like something made for a game system in between atari 2600 and nes.

Metal Slug had a big budget and literal slaves as a team, also it was designed to stand out since the market it competed it was the war of money eating arcades full of cheap deaths. If MS looked any worse nobody would have cared to keep playing it.

Indie dev here, this took a month to make, animating it would take a year. Its simply not worth it.

>A month to trace a vulvarape

I could have knocked that out in under a day and I have zero artistic talent and basic photoshop skills.

yea , fuck doing things because you love it , its all about money

They also re-used A LOT of sprites.

Not traced, it was done on MSPaint.

By eye? To what fucking end? I respect the effort though, you're alright user.

Developers with huge piles of money to burn on visuals are no longer making sprite-based games. Amazing sprite work is very difficult and time-consuming to create and the general population is more impressed by a beautiful 3D game anyway. The majority of sprite work these days will be made by developers with tiny teams or low budgets.

It only makes sense that a team of professionals with a high budget will churn out better work than indies.

>This piece of shit tracing took a month

holy shit, if this isn't fake you need to re-think your life

art =/= graphics

We can make brighter, more color accurate paints today than ever before in history. But somebody still has to use that paint effectively to make a masterpiece.

Only caring about money is not the same thing as setting achievable goals for yourself rather than doing an amount of work that would give big teams trouble on your own. Get real you dumb cunt

Sadly yeah, I mean if I had all the time in the world and no bills to pay then I would go all the way with art.

Yeah, I did it by eye on MSPaint I have no idea why I did this to be honest.

>1 month
while it may look decent the time it took was far too long
besides since you identify your self as a dev then what are you working on?

I was working on a 2d souls clone but I dropped the project months ago. Now I'm working on a simple sidescroller starring an enchantress.

Is she thicc?

Yes.

The worst thing is, if you rendered that in a styalised 3D engine, with all the moving parts etc. you would get GOTY awards instantly for just having it look fucking awesome.

Open world games combined with no-vision directors and graduate school talentless hacks ruined gaming. And EA.

technology doesn't make devs more skilled just more lazy

I can't believe somebody asked this before me. I love Cred Forums sometimes.

Good man.

It was made by genuinely great artists, and they dont grow on trees.

Especially these days

Passion I guess, gaming as a medium has really gone to shit when it's supposed to keep getting better.
Though Ori & The Blind Forest and Jotun look really pretty.

>You will NEVER see work like this again

Maybe when the tech and tools are there, they'll be able to replicate this look with greater ease in 3D.

The world is shit now.
Everything was better back then, not just games.

>Everything was better back then, not just games.
kys

Because it has literally nothing to do with the level of technology, it has everything to do with being a skilled artist and having a shitton of time and money to do your craft.

well...

Kid born in 1999 or later detected

This shitty hollow world is all you know so you dont know anything else, its understandable

Good art direction, not necesarily good spritework skills

1999 is not when it changed.

2001 is.

I wish the world would freeze on September 11 at 8:45am.

I don't think it's that, there are plenty of talented people who go to art school and genuinely can make something of themselves with their craft.

But much like good writers, they don't go into videogames.

>This shitty hollow world is all you know so you dont know anything else, its understandable
i'm 23 but you're right i've been living in a shithole my whole life and i'm just butthurt

>expecting a good artwork
>where you can make millions by drawing like 6th grade autist

the point of 3d is to reuse the asset because 3d is actually more expensive than 2d in the making. It's just 3d is cheaper in the long run if you keep re-using the same asset with different skin.

>Did devs become lazy?
yes

also yes

things were more positive back in the day. instead of encouraging eachother to improve, it's just nepotism and hugboxes now.

>not at least posting the good 90s hero

i wish i got into computer stuff harder back in the day but my passion really does lie in architecture and industrial design and shit

Gabe is not a bad artist, that art does take actual work to do cleanly. He just have a very specific style.

forgot pic

>i wish i got into computer stuff harder back in the day but my passion really does lie in architecture and industrial design and shit

that's pretty cool if you really in it.

>that's pretty cool if you really in it.
It's not. Every time I say anything about it, people make fun of me.

I gave up. There's no use in it. I'd rather kill people for a living at this point. In fact, I actually did join the military -- my cries to just redesign tac packs (little books we carry on small boats filled with maps and codewords and stuff) to be readable and usable in a bumpy-ass rhib are met with violent noise, and just trying to make maps for shooting and sandbox games just gets me incessantly shit on.

I can use computers. I can make a boot key. If someone asked me to fish passwords off a laptop, I could at least get cookies. But fuck it. Out of sheer spite, I'd rather just beat the owner to death with a hammer if I were asked to get someone's Brazzers account credentials than do any hacker shit.

I got fucking asked to fix a printer once, actually tried, made a little report of exactly what I could diagnose and the probable avenues of support (a piece of RAM in it seemed busted -- swapping parts around helped, but needed more parts to complete the set (it was a very old printer)) and I got told off for it. It was a fool's errand. I may have been told to rip up sheets and boil water for delivering a baby.

at first this was a joke, then it became an actual card
should we laugh or cry about it?

user i search images in google and text from wikipedia and i print it for people as homework, that's what i do for living, i literally don't know nothing.
I just have elementary education, and my life is utter shit i have never achieved something and i'm autistic as fuck.

Don't underestimate yourself, couldn't you work in a factory or something like that?
or designing buildings?

Anyone have that folder with all the metal slug gifs

who the fuck thought this was a good idea for a video clip

>couldn't you work in a factory or something like that?
No. That's not what industrial design is, and what you mean is Manufacturing, which is nepotistic as hell.

>or designing buildings?
No. Architecture is dead.

god damnit, i don't know what could you do then.
pretty depressing though.

>Industrial design is a process of design applied to products that are to be manufactured through techniques of mass production.[2][3] Its key characteristic is that design is separated from manufacture: the creative act of determining and defining a product's form and features takes place in advance of the physical act of making a product, which consists purely of repeated, often automated, replication.[4][5] This distinguishes industrial design from craft-based design, where the form of the product is determined by the product's creator at the time of its creation.

it sounds like could be easily employed but since i'm from central america things are probably really differecent there.

I don't get why you get shit on for all the things you mentioned. Are the people you're working with just cunts or are you an autist that can't into human interaction? It seems to me like you have a pretty broad skillset and you don't sound like a retard. Maybe you're shit out of luck? Considered getting a fresh start in a new area? Try apply for architecture jobs overseas or interstate and take the leap. Better than stagnating and building up hatred for everything. Anyway, godspeed user. I hope things work out for you

>Are the people you're working with just cunts
Maybe. Probably? I used to think so but I can't think of any major undertakings I've undertaken that didn't end in either relentless trolling from people I was Doing It For Free(tm) for, like making maps for shooters and sandbox games, or being told off by my superiors for trying, like with the printer story.

>Better than stagnating and building up hatred for everything.
There's not really an alternative anymore. I made my mistakes in youth by getting interested in dead fields. I'd rather just sit in a computer room on a ship and sometimes shoot assault rifles into the ocean to re-qual on already obsolete weapon systems for a crown not held by any actual king or queen anymore.

>I'd rather just sit in a computer room on a ship and sometimes shoot assault rifles into the ocean to re-qual on already obsolete weapon systems for a crown not held by any actual king or queen anymore.

sounds fucking comfy desu user.

Hardware doesn't do art faglord

>sounds fucking comfy
the computer room is the size of a walk-in closet but it's air conditioned so its basically my career end game to sit in there forever and at some point maybe bang a dude in there once or twice 2bh

That's like asking how come through all this technical innovation in digital graphics, old paintings still look nice

Transfer your architectural knowledge to enviroment design, make 3D.

>make 3D.

>I can't think of any major undertakings I've undertaken that didn't end in either relentless trolling from people I was Doing It For Free(tm) for, like making maps for shooters and sandbox games

>make 3D.

fuck off

>modern pixel style
>only looks good because of gradients and parallax

Yeah that's like 10% sprite work and 90% post production.

>you will never have to put up with sprite work that gives you seizures again

that's a good thing user

>3 frames and a metric fuckton of smooth gradient additive sprites slathered everyhere in a panning shot

>the spritework isnt even good and is full of lel mixels

kys

>"pixel" art with sub-pixel shaders
worse than hitler